Race etiquette

• Thread starter Conspicuus
  • 31 comments

Conspicuus

Crappy drivers inc.
Premium
conspicuus
Dear Fellow members

I’ve raced Gran Turismo for many years and is NOT a great driver. But I love the game and even though I don’t always get the penalty system I usually have fun. Today I raced another member and apart for ruin my game, he also reported me (or so he said).

I’ve enclosed a replay. My question is. Did I do anything wrong?

Obviously its a bit tricky to say for sure without seeing the whole race but if the only contact you had with him was in that replay then it doesn't look like you did anything wrong. If it was totally out of the blue the only thing I can think is that he got you confused with someone who done something to him earlier in the race but either way no need for it, don't worry it happens just carry on racing and ignore him bud, reporting you won't do anything.

This is just... Yeah, I dunno. Looks like he is having a bad day not just with you but potentially the car behind him as well, possibly the guy you see stuck in the wall as youre going through that slow left hander. The first bit of contact on the long sweeping right he could have avoided, seems to drift far more to the left than he should need tp, but the second touch there I can't explain. Seems like neither of you are really paying attention to each other's position on the track. His reaction to brake check you, well, there's no defending that.

This is what tyre wear does though. Really you have no business trying to battle him as he is on fresh tires and yours look to be dying of death. His driving leaves a lot to be desired though.

Disclaimer: I am not a racing steward, nor an expert.

EDIT: After a second viewing it seems possible that where he runs wide and you didn't hit him, could have registered as a hit for him due to lag, but you didn't get a penalty after he went beyond track limits so I would trust your replay over his. This seems to be his motivation for trying to murder you. After his first ram the other beetle passes him and he says **** it, **** this guy.

Interested to know what your SR and his are. Never seen such outright ****ery but I am always in S lobbies.

Last edited:
This is just... Yeah, I dunno. Looks like he is having a bad day not just with you but potentially the car behind him as well, possibly the guy you see stuck in the wall as youre going through that slow left hander. The first bit of contact on the long sweeping right he could have avoided, seems to drift far more to the left than he should need tp, but the second touch there I can't explain. Seems like neither of you are really paying attention to each other's position on the track. His reaction to brake check you, well, there's no defending that.

This is what tyre wear does though. Really you have no business trying to battle him as he is on fresh tires and yours look to be dying of death. His driving leaves a lot to be desired though.

Disclaimer: I am not a racing steward, nor an expert.

EDIT: After a second viewing it seems possible that where he runs wide and you didn't hit him, could have registered as a hit for him due to lag, but you didn't get a penalty after he went beyond track limits so I would trust your replay over his. This seems to be his motivation for trying to murder you. After his first ram the other beetle passes him and he says **** it, **** this guy.

Interested to know what your SR and his are. Never seen such outright ****ery but I am always in S lobbies.

Thanks for the reply. You could be right about the lag and you’re definitely right about paying attention. It is one of my biggest weakness, as I concentrate far to much on where I’m going and not who’s around me :( I’m S but dunno about him.

Dear Fellow members

I’ve raced Gran Turismo for many years and is NOT a great driver. But I love the game and even though I don’t always get the penalty system I usually have fun. Today I raced another member and apart for ruin my game, he also reported me (or so he said).

Well there is one thing you did wrong but it doesn't explain what he did to you. Why is your blinker ON? If I put my blinker left, it means I'm gonna stay left of the track and let the person behind pass me. I have done and saw this only on the nurb though.

Also I agree with others, check if there was another Lexus, or show the previous part of the race. Otherwise it might have been weird lag? Or that guy is crazy

Thanks for the reply. You could be right about the lag and you’re definitely right about paying attention. It is one of my biggest weakness, as I concentrate far to much on where I’m going and not who’s around me :( I’m S but dunno about him.
Just try to forget and move on. I think most of us have had similar unexplained aggression, you won't have to dig in the daily race thread long to find me raging about being punted around Interlagos.

As for your awareness problem, perhaps try driving with radar on? It can be a great way to tell what line to take when in close proximity to other cars, and will clue you in to moves being made on you if you keep an eye on it.

Also, a lot of people swear by the hood/bumper cam, but I avoid them because of the lack of rear view whilst driving.

These are his stats, that say it all really. Sometimes he' S ranked. Often far from it. Don't worry about it and just move on. And turn your damn blinker off! :lol:

stats.JPG

These are his stats, that say it all really. Sometimes he' S ranked. Often far from it. Don't worry about it and just move on. And turn your damn blinker off! :lol:

View attachment 819934
Jeeeeeeeeeesus. Thats a few peaks and valleys. Honestly outright ramming guys should cap you from reaching S for a set period of time, otherwise guys can just go clean race A and go right back to punting guys who are trying to race fair. I watch Super GTs videos and in his FIA gr3 Fuji video there is a Toyota driver who very clearly does not belong in SR S, divebombing at every opportunity. I feel like he will have grinded race A for SR rank purely tl get in a top lobby for FIA where his dirty driving will net results, rather than be par for the course as it would be in lower lobbies,where his dive bombs are likely to be repaid in kind.

Also, yeah, turn that blinker off. I will occasionally use my hazards in a race, such as if I have a car coming up behind me flashing my mirror, I will tap my hazards on and off just to let him know I see him, or if I am in front of cars are with fresher tires going into a long braking zone, I will flash them before my braking point, or keep to one side and signal them through so they can brake where they actually want to instead of on my bumper.

it's very hard to communicate your intent to the others around you, so I try to do whatever I can. I would rather be passed by a faster car and tuck into his tow to catch up to those in front, than both of us lose time unnecessarily battling.

Yes, you didn't save your live race (the PS4 records everything, and will save by default the previous 15 minutes of gameplay) so we can't see any penalties or SR down markers awarded at any point, and we can't see what happened in the race before that point.

Also you have your left indicator on the whole time. That's a signal that you're going into the pits (except the pits are the other side on this track) or to other drivers that you're giving way to that side.

In the two-minute video I can't see anything obviously appalling that merits that kind of retaliation, but it's tough to be definitive with just that to work from.

Yes, you didn't save your live race (the PS4 records everything, and will save by default the previous 15 minutes of gameplay) so we can't see any penalties or SR down markers awarded at any point, and we can't see what happened in the race before that point.

Also you have your left indicator on the whole time. That's a signal that you're going into the pits (except the pits are the other side on this track) or to other drivers that you're giving way to that side.

In the two-minute video I can't see anything obviously appalling that merits that kind of retaliation, but it's tough to be definitive with just that to work from.

Thanks for the reply

I do have the entire race, but since I had nothing to do with Posmo before (he was way higher up than me) I didn’t thought you wanted to see it. The indicator was clearly a mistake, but I didn’t hit him so it made no difference. If you want it I can post the entire race. :)

You did hit them after they dived bombed the corner and were not making it anyway, you can tell by how their car jolted a bit as you switched back under them. This was probably a lag contact and will have likely been much worse on their end than on yours, hence why they were all wound up and wanted to ruin your race.

All avoided if they just passed you properly though. ;)

Dear Fellow members

I certainly would not lose any sleep over this situation, I dont see where you are at fault anywhere. It appears that your salty competitor is just mad that he does not drive very well, as his stats prove

Do you remember if he got a penalty for the incident at 1:18? If he did he probably blamed you for it and that's why he lost his marbles. That's how it looks to me anyway.

He got a three second penalty and then I got a one second for hitting him when he blocked me :lol

He got a three second penalty and then I got a one second for hitting him when he blocked me :lol

That hit in the long sweeping right corner doesn't look deliberate. Dumb on his part, the kerb ended and his right wheel was on the grass which likely caused his car to veer a bit to the outside where you were. A penalty for that and the frustration of getting held up by a car with worn tires likely set him off. Not that that's any valid excuse for his later behavior, but in this case the penalty system just threw fuel on the fire. Your car probably did bump him when he went wide earlier due to lag, which was also his own fault for that reckless dive, but added to the agitation.

Anybody who drives in front of you trying to force you to hit them for sr down is a scumbag. Regardless of anything that happened before, that is the ultimate bitch move. After he tried to run you off twice I would have shown him the door to the shadow realm and continued my race.

I focus on my own race even though it’s tempting. He’s an idiot but it doesn’t make my life better to try to spoil his race :D

Penalties should be included in replays.

As well as the actual telemetry of other players, not reconstructed based on laggy data. It would be interesting to be able to see exactly what happened from the other car's real perspective, atm you would need to get the replay from the other driver to see that.

Which is fine as an opinion, but they physically can't be.
It is surely simply recording data during the race? At the moment it records certain things, but there's surely nothing stopping the code from being changed to record more information than it does at present. Anything you see on screen during the race can potentially be recorded in the replay data.

There is no way in hell having your indicator on warrants any of what he was doing.
He one of the guys who is going out to get someone, you were the (un)lucky recipient.
Hopefully you won't be meeting him anytime soon if the ratings system does its job properly.

These people are the absolute bane of my life. Wish this behaviour resulted in a suspension or something. Had the same thing happen to me yesterday because somebody thought I had punted them when in fact it was another driver. He looked very silly afterwards when I told him to check the replay.

Just let it go. Most of the time it was an accident, and when it was deliberate, no point ruining your SR and your race to get internet karma.

Dear Fellow members

I raced the driver in the video a couple of days ago, we had a 50-50 incident trying to run side by side through the esses. Probably both of us at fault but it really upset him and he started taking swipes at me. I'd just ignore it.

Edit: I took out the players name, but we all know who it is to avoid.

Last edited:
Back