Racers Reunited. In preparation for GTS. Race Cars at Spa. S/M+S/H, Sat 7th Oct 12.30BSTFinished 

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 30 comments
United Kingdom
England
Zolon32
Hello folks. I'm a bit in two minds about GTS, with its emphasis on racing motors with downforce. However, I thought I'd set up a little event, to see how it might go.

The event will take place like this:

The cars are, Mercedes AMG SLS GT3 '11 or Nissan GT-R Nismo Base model '13. Both stock, oil change allowed. The choice as to which car to use is up to each individual.

**Spanner in works time. To bring a bit of variety, I've added the Camaro SS Touring Car '10, and Mazda RX7 Touring Car. The RX7 is slightly slower than the others, but it's lighter too, and should compensate with better tyre management.

**Even more variety! The Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV EVO Vision, and Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car have been added. The Camaro is giving me a real dilemma now over which car to use :)

Still more motors available folks... The GT500 Base models of the Nissan GT-R and the Toyota Supra. Both come within the parameters, and I prefer them to the GT3 cars. But, variety is the spice of life (or at least that's what I tell the Mrs).

The tyres will be, S/H for the twenty minutes of qualifying, and then S/H and S/M to be used through the race. Which tyre you start on will be your choice, but you must use both during the race.

This will be achieved by the room settings being for quali, followed by a 1 lap race at first. The 'race' will be a parade for one lap, with everyone finishing in their qualifying positions.

Then, the person who qualified last stays on 100% power, the person one step ahead sets their restrictor to 97%, the racer one step further ahead sets their restrictor to 94%, and so one, until we reach the person set to 82%. Everyone ahead of this person also sets their restrictor to 82%.

Your qualifying position counts towards your final finishing place. Therefore, the person on 100% power will have the chance to climb up through the field, whilst the person who gets pole has to fight off those around who have more power, in defence of their leading position.

The race will be over 23 laps.
My testing indicates that, at full power, fuel will last for twelve laps only, and that S/M are about 2.5-3.0 seconds quicker than S/H. These factors bring all sorts of tactical questions into play. Stretch your fuel on the S/M and do one stop? Do two S/M legs? Which tyre to start on?

I'm hoping that the tactical side of things, along with effective handicapping, will mean that the final result is in doubt until the lady who ate all the pies gives us the full benefit of her vocal training.

The room settings will have fast depletion, weak penalties, light damage, real slipstream and track edge grip, ABS and driving line allowed.

So, there you go, pretty plain OP, brilliant race (I hope:))

Cheers, Zo.

Last edited:
I'm a bit in two minds about GTS, with its emphasis on racing motors with downforce
I concur - I'll be staying with N-class cars and might, might stretch to a Gr.4 car every now and then.

We did come up with a reasonable facsimile of BTCC (effectively Gr.4 cars but with FWD) with some of the Premium cars and their bespoke wings/aerokits - and the GT300 cars and their Base Models (also roughly Gr.4) are actually good fun too. Might be worth a follow-up race down the line?

I'll see if I can join you on Saturday. Can't resist Spa. Or endurance races.

As usual Zo, I may or may not be working. Even if I am there's a chance I may finish in time for the race. So I am 75% hopeful I can join you all on Saturday 7/10/17.

Looking forward to it. I quite like all these cars. Yes they go faster and corner harder but they can still be challenging in a different way. Hope you throw some weather in for us backmarkers?

:cheers:

Guilty secret - I actually quite like the racecars in the game. :nervous:
Ok the LMP's and red bulls are a bit too fast but stick most of the others on SM tyres and they are fine when driven hard.

As Famine says the GT300's are particularly good to drive. Just enough power without going over the top. And all the race modified cars (carried over from GT5) are pretty good as well. I'd certainly be up for a race with any of those.

Anyways, well I didn't think I was going to make it to your last Saturday outing but I did and the timing actually wasn't too bad. So pencil me using an HB since I'll certainly try to get there, although the race length may mean I may take some extra pitstops.

Hope you throw some weather in
Shush you.

I've tried out the original cars and they are very close time wise. I'm slightly faster in the Merc on SM at around 2.27:5 - not sure if that's good or not. I see there's a couple more cars to have a spin in both of which I already like. 👍

I must say in driving these cars it's nice to be able to hit the apex more often. ;)

Since you have added others @Zolon32 for even more of a GTS theme try out the VGT that is the Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV Evolution. Jocke's favourite if I remember correctly. It's really close to the Merc and GTR in lap times.

@JockeP22 was hoping to run a series with the VGTs but didn't have the time. Perhaps another idea to think about for the RR club because some are really rather good.

Edit: I can't see it anywhere, what tyre/fuel rate are you going to use?

Hope you throw some weather in for us backmarkers?

You certainly weren't a backmarker last night, Suts. Podium in all three races wasn't it? : )

I am 75% hopeful I can join you all on Saturday 7/10/17.

I'm on the same percentage as Suts. It's a bit early in the day but I will try and make it.

Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV Evolution. Jocke's favourite if I remember correctly.

Oh yes, loved the design of that one.

the Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV Evolution. Jocke's favourite if I remember correctly.

I'll give that a spin Paul. The more different motors the better in my opinion. The qualifying/handicap should tighten up any differentials in performance, hopefully.

@JockeP22 was hoping to run a series with the VGTs but didn't have the time. Perhaps another idea to think about for the RR club

Yep. I don't see why not. I can't recall which ones I've run with, but some are, as you say, quite nice.

Edit: I can't see it anywhere, what tyre/fuel rate are you going to use?

Ah, yeah, sorry. Missed that out. It's fast. On the GT3 cars that means 12 laps is about the limit for fuel, but the tyres are still pretty good at that point.

I'm on the same percentage as Suts. It's a bit early in the day but I will try and make it.

It'll be great if you can Jocke 👍

Cheers, Zo.

2010 Camaro, please. Someone poke me nearer the time, I'll need to remember I'm racing at the weekend.

Zo and all.
I completely forgot about this race!!! Are we all still on for this. I might have to get some practice in after the f1 quali is over!!!

Hope to see a packed grid

@Famine @JockeP22 @Venari @Sutsagrd @IfAndOr

Fellas, we're right on the cusp of having too few to make for a decent race, I think. Having said that, those who are in are pretty damn close on overall performance and, with the tyre options, it may well not be over until the lady with the pies has vented her lungs.

In short, if each still would like to compete despite the short grid, then I'm up for it. But if anyone wishes to withdraw in these circumstances, then I fully understand. It could be a long, lonely slog if things don't go right.

Cheers, Zo.

Zo and all.
I completely forgot about this race!!!
And I almost completely forgot about it.

23 laps around Spa at 12:30pm BST? I think I'll make that actually. I'm just about to make some scones for breakfast for the family and I have a quick errand to do afterwards, but after that it's all Spa.

Are we all still on for this.
Tagging some more Reunited regulars.
@jammy21 @Team_SWE_1 @gkgamer @buybon355
@bloodyboyblue @John Wells
@LongbowX

Lordy doesn't time fly it's October 7th already!

A possibly from me.

The trouble is this weekend, as it turns out, the premier league is on a international break so there's not much in the way of football on TV to occupy me Ma with - so the interruptions could be more than normal. It might not be worth me attempting it.

I'll see how the day goes and see how she is but nevertheless try to be there.

Sorry for the uncertainty. :guilty:

(If I do get there It'll be one of the GT3 models I'll use)

@Famine @JockeP22 @Venari @Sutsagrd @IfAndOr

Fellas, we're right on the cusp of having too few to make for a decent race, I think. Having said that, those who are in are pretty damn close on overall performance and, with the tyre options, it may well not be over until the lady with the pies has vented her lungs.

In short, if each still would like to compete despite the short grid, then I'm up for it. But if anyone wishes to withdraw in these circumstances, then I fully understand. It could be a long, lonely slog if things don't go right.

Cheers, Zo.
I've done less than no practice, but I'll be there.

I would’ve been in but didn’t see this thread until now and the race has already started by now

Indeed we had Blue, sorry you missed it. It was a pretty casual thing anyway, but a decent race, as it turned out.

Congratulations to @Sutsagrd on poll and 2nd in the race, giving him overall victory.

Onwards to GTS folks...

Well that was all a bit last minute. It turns out Barnet were playing Coventry, not exactly top notch but it was football.

I basically jumped in the GTR and off we went. I was actually doing alright during the first half of the race but during the pitstop I must have been on the throttle because the menu appeared and disappeared and I ended up with the wrong tyres, so I had to make a second stop. Thinking it through I should have stayed on the SM and changed them nearer the end. But there wasn't a lot of thinking going on. I won't mention knocking my glasses off while taking off my jumper mid race or getting my headphone cable wrapped around my arm - oh I just did. :)

Good clean racing all.

Well done Suts. 👍
I'm sure Zo said the winner gets a new PS4 and a copy of GTS. Watch for the postman. ;)

Pole position and a second place from last after my usual 1 st lap grass cutting. I finally find my mojo with GT6 just as it finishes!!:lol::crazy:

Brilliant fun as always guys. Thanks for hosting Zo and everyone for coming out. Really good close racing and good mix of cars. The Chevrolet was awesome but it was designed to be a LM car rather than a gt3/4 car. Wish I'd filled up a bit more as I think I might have challenged Zo for his 1st place.

Im hoping I'll have a PS4 by end December so hope to join you all around then on whatever game turns out to be the best.

Hope to see you all on Tuesdays until that wraps up.

No problems Mark, it had slipped most people's minds. Was a fair race in the end, mind.
Mostly fair. I kinda divebombed Goofy a bit into Les Combes - I ducked out from behind him to spot the braking point and then missed it anyway...

Mostly fair. I kinda divebombed Goofy a bit into Les Combes - I ducked out from behind him to spot the braking point and then missed it anyway...

To be honest Famine, I was using fair in the sense of it being quite good (although I think you probably knew that, and your wit has gone straight over my head). But I did notice that 'block pass'. You were a speck in Goofy's mirror as he hit the braking point, then... ZOOM! you're suddenly there.

I've had a spin in the RX7 TC on the new seasonal, and I think it's a bit off the pace, so you did well to keep those behind you for the time you did. It made for good viewing in replay.

Anyway... tyres in GTS. Please tell me they have an equivalent to my beloved Comforts :nervous:

Cheers, Zo.

Anyway... tyres in GTS. Please tell me they have an equivalent to my beloved Comforts
You can be comfortable in knowing that comforts still exist in GTS. In fact many things are the same yet at the same time different.
I've only had the briefest of goes and while it's certainly very polished it hasn't quite grabbed me as much as I thought it would - yet.

Back