Racing Themed Mid Range PC / Simvibe & General Gaming

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 61 comments
A concern I have is only going for the 250GB SSD
I have in mind to only install Racing Sims / Simvibe on the default install location.
Trying to avoid any Simvibe issues if possible.

A secondary larger SSD or possibly USB external drive is an option for the future for installing other games and applications or media.

Q. How well would the external USB drive option work for this and is STEAM okay with games on different storage?

Last edited:
External USB should be fine as long as it's USB 3.0 combined with a fast drive. And Steam has no problems with games on different storage, you can setup multiple folders/drives and it will allow you to select which one when installing a game (e.g. I have two folders setup, one on my SSD and another on my SATA HDD).

Good to know will look into some reviews or be great if someone can make personal recommendations.

Last edited:
So during morning breakfast the door gets a knock....

Great bit of kit feels very solid and lovely finish, looking forward to start using this.
No Cookie Monster "S" is for "Simvibe" :)

Last edited:
Now the RAM

Occasionally we get some sun in Northern Ireland!!!
Like the detailing on these sticks and the little chrome edges.

Red colour just arrived into UK this week I believe.

I've not really been a big fan of fussing with components colours before.
Although with this case having a window I wanted to put some effort into it matching well.

Looks pretty racey beside my toaster, lol.

Last edited:
That board looks good! Those RAM sticks same all the same size and speed? Also, what what are you going to use to power the transducers?

That board looks good! Those RAM sticks same all the same size and speed? Also, what what are you going to use to power the transducers?

Thanks I really like the white/red/black and dash of chrome the board has.

Yes the ram is same product just different colours.
4GB sticks DDR4 PC4-19200 • 16-16-16 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2400

For the cockpit immersion the following seems to be the most likely for my upcoming 2.0 build
Eventually I would like the 6x TST units powered by 3 Inuke DSP 1000 but upon building the new cockpit will be using...

2x BK LFE via Inuke DSP 3000 = Front L/R
2x BK LFE via Inuke DSP 6000 = Rear L/R

All 6 TST below powered by Yamaha RX V4600
4x Clark Synthesis TST Plat 429 (Secondary tactile for CHASSIS / my preferred Dual Role method)

1x Clark Synthesis TST Gold 329 (Seat EXTENSION for Engine/Gear Change)
1x Clark Synthesis TST Silver 239 (Pedal EXTENSION for Engine/Brake Lock)

All 4 below via Sony 5200 ES
4x Pioneer TS WX 304T 12" Tube Subwoofers

Last edited:
This post comes from the new build :)

Took my time building but all went so easy, just the hassle now of all the updates and software etc.

So, if you havent yet bought a GPU, good news. Looks like the lower tier the GTX 1070 not only out performs the Titian, but is quite a bit cheaper, and releases next month. The 1080 release this month at $600 USD.
Also, let us know how well the Clark's work.

Hi think the 1060ti model may be more to my budget/needs. I've read it might be in around a 980Ti performance so more than plenty for 1080p gaming. Will look forward to upcoming cards and reviews for sure.

I'm really blown away by how fast this system is for installing/booting compared to my 4 year old i5 laptop :)
Still need to finish the inside of the case but will get some photos up soon.

Doing stress tests and all that stuff, on lowest fan speed it is really quiet too.
Thanks again guys and oh hi to you Mark buddy hope your keeping well.

Edit:
Ran CPU test for 30mins @ 4.5Ghz
Highest temp was 71 degrees average 48 and lowest 13

Seems to be working okay.

Last edited:
Hi mate, I'm doing well if just a bit tired.... All the time lol.
Very pleased to see you building the PC! It looks great!

Also, let us know how well the Clark's work.

I missed this part, been using them on/off for years with game audio/music etc.
If your not aware in the hardware section I have plenty of posts within various threads about tactile.

Or certainly feel free to PM me if you wish.

Quick snaps still not finished with the inside but here it is illuminated.

Using a Phillips Hue LED strip to give it the crisp white which really helps.
See the rear Corsair white exhaust fan it isn't super white, mmmmmm although the DeepCool Captain 240 pump. I really like how it illuminates every few seconds. Oddly though the Amp-up audio section looks yellowish in photos but this is red too.

The front section of the case with the 3 replacement SP/AF Corsair LED fans illuminates the red plastic ridge which was an unexpected surprise.

OuN3tgNl.jpg

Last edited:
So got my cables sorted the lighting improved and the inside pretty much finished.
It looks so sharp now even in daylight with the brightness of the Phillips Hue LED.

Some changes, didn't like the white led fan not matching and done a bit of mild modding/styling. Other than that a pretty simple little build.

I also tried the two original red fans on the radiator to act as push/pull but preferred the look inside the case without them. Opted for what I said I wouldn't do, by adding the central floor fan (lol). Just got the secondary sound card to add and a GPU in future and it is done.

Last edited:
Thanks my friend, its nothing special but will be pretty decent. Appreciate your recent offer of help but thought I really needed to get my own set-up to get stuck into this once and for all. I think I have more desire to finish what I never previously got started than I have to actually properly play the games.

As advised here I am going to need to get a GFX card for doing the Simvibe testing properly if I want to use the DAW for analysing/recording while playing on this machine. Discovered that my Steam was over 940 days since I last signed in but I remembered I had a few games purchased on the old system.

With nobody hardly responding to the other thread as to what would be a good basis to test with I'm just gonna have to feel my way around and get to grips with it all. I-racing / P'Cars / Assetto Corsa / Dirt are the main titles I think I will check out.

Lots to do but at least I'm close now to being able to do it.

I'm really glad you've been so determined, for yourself more than anything.
I honestly don't ever use simvibe at all and I'm seriously considering selling off the tactle. I've never been that impressed with it (simvibe).
So if you can come up with a proper guide to getting the best out of it, cool.
My best experiences with tactle were audio driven lol
In fact sitting here writing this I think I'll switch back to audio and see how much I enjoy it again.
My only issue with audio was the volume, which doesn't matter in the shed lol

Never seen how you added the Buttkickers to your wooden base or new seat, perhaps that is part of the issue?

I think with having the TST on the sides of the old Cobra seat gave proper direct feedback but is important to have the tactile connected to the seats runner/subframe to control/limit where the tactile can go or where it has to pass through first.

Simvibe does very much seem to need good settings and levels to get the most out of it too so certainly if I learn a few things in this regard then will be more than happy to try and help you tune your own. I owe you a few favours still friend.

Last edited:
So progress report.

Have the additional sound-cards installed now, got both the Audigy onboard and Xonar configured as "Quadraphonic"  that Simvibe will need. Will use Chassis Mode & 2 Extensions. Drivers / software also installed for the 18i8 digital interface.

When using the Audigy for primary audio (desktop/general usage) as digital out into my AV Receiver. This can enable the PC to form as "Audio Tactile" source for the cockpit as well as just my my speaker audio with a quick change in windows. I also tailor my tactile to suit for music enjoyment/enhancement but perhaps the Clark TST and sub-woofers help with this working well with being combined with the LFE for only the low frequencies..

Some cables to buy to connect Simvibe output for the six channels all going into the DAW for monitoring but barring no major issues should be able to start messing around with it all and see how things go.

HD530 issue is limiting things so will need a GPU solution.

Last edited:
Never seen how you added the Buttkickers to your wooden base or new seat, perhaps that is part of the issue?

I think with having the TST on the sides of the old Cobra seat gave proper direct feedback but is important to have the tactile connected to the seats runner/subframe to control/limit where the tactile can go or where it has to pass through first.

Simvibe does very much seem to need good settings and levels to get the most out of it too so certainly if I learn a few things in this regard then will be more than happy to try and help you tune your own. I owe you a few favours still friend.

On the topic of Simvibe, you triggered the following:

My ideal scenario was:
To have a new thread and I actually would of wanted testing/partners to get involved. @RW65 was to be involved with this as well but he also seems to of gone cold on the Simvibe interest and I don't want to talk anymore about theories or tactile layout possibilities of what might happen or what might work. Is time now to get to work and discover/test such and make progress. It was very frustrating for me to discuss such in his thread for a year to want to be able to do something yet not, sure I got motivated to build a test rig and now several months later to this point to get myself a PC again. Brill, except only to find he himself is no further on still hasn't even tried a single tactile unit or is in much hurry, arrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!!! :banghead:.

He knows how much stuff we discussed on PM that was not in the thread including how to go about doing tests or towards a new and more complete unofficial guide. Also for me how much of a personal goal this is to find the best possible configuration. I had envisioned individually going through effects having done stuff my end on the analysing/recording to understand each effect and find optimised settings. Additionally to discover how and where on/off the track or "event" that each effect is active to determine the rank/importance each effects are towards the immersion.

To do this properly I think would of required/enabled users to give their own feedback on how possible settings on their own cockpits/tactile also performed. Not just a guide of what to do with settings that worked well for the tester/me or my hardware/cockpit. This is what all other guides up to now have done by just trial error and only feeling the effect.

Much better to have input back from peoples own tests/cockpits to then help to enable settings that worked on various peoples own cockpits and configurations. I think any improved guide should do this rather than base settings on the testers own trials and setup.

Yet I question why bother to do this when people that are actively using Simvibe asked for input in a thread going nearly a year did little to answer questions or give feedback to help? They seemingly are not interested in taking part. Some perhaps just want the solution and settings to use and to take such willingly but not be part of the testing/input or hassle involved in finding them.

Really the amount of frequency range is limited as is what some tactile units can do at once so I believe giving effects their own Hz is an important factor but also having effects work well together and not conflict or detract from each others detailing to give good results. It then depends on the users preference and capabilities of their tactile perhaps how many or what combination of effects they should use.

Currently now I still do not see on any forum and I can assure you I have looked over many now inc i-racing going back the past 2 years for what people discussed on the topic. Even though some guides have been done early on I do not see much input on what effects by rank are most active or important, what are the combinations and settings that work well for added detail, which effects are less important or less satisfying and on what car/track or actual sim. I do not see settings for specific tactile that may be more in line to their performance abilities that users should try as a good baseline when starting. These are things I think a community working together could achieve but what community or group really tried to do such and is their really anyone now that would be interested?

I do know that if I put enough time and effort in. Soon I can get a very good performance and the best out of Simvibe to accomplish what I wanted for my own rig. Perhaps that is all I should look to do rather than working on any type of guide or group testing with others.

Got a lot of good tactile hardware here that needs to be properly enjoyed and for me perhaps all the research/testing and building a cockpit to make the most of it is as much of a hobby/fun as is playing the games themselves.

Thanks again for following and personal encouragement, apologies for the rant but take care.

I can understand your frustrations mate, perhaps now with the PC you'll be able to find more willing testers.
I find it hard Just to follow threads these days, it's a toss up between time on the internet or time spent enjoying the games, which can be hard too when you get windows display driver error msgs lol I had an hour this morning to play Fifa and not even a virtual football was kicked!
But I will help you with testing! The football season is over so I can spend some more at the rig.

Just an update on the progress while this is not really a tactile thread its more for those that know the background/purpose of this build. Couple of tech/nerd pics regards the lighting also added. :)

• Cables ordered for the digital interface
  • Simvibe installed & cards detected
  • Chassis & Extension mode ready
  • Additional extension added for Pedals

So far no problems with the PC and the system is running really well. Will look with interest on the news this month regards the GTX 1070 and AMD upcoming Polaris. Will the mid level AMD card be a match for the 1070?

Here is the case with alternative colouring from the Philips Hue. While the white is very sharp and clean I also quite like the moody colours below.

I can have it set that the light changes accordingly with the TV screen action via AMBILIGHT. Below is Windows10 Desktop

vO8lWknl.jpg

When I turn the TV or PC off the Hue lighting goes to the static colour of choice I have set via mobile/android app.
Various apps are available with different modes/settings.
Here is Ferrari Red.

o0TxDa0l.jpg

Not so fussed on the green but it does look better at night.
GTzJZh6l.jpg

Last edited:
Man, Latte, that build is outstanding! The attention to detail, the color scheme (I mean, I would have gone the Martini route, being a rally fan, but i digress). All of it has come together very nicely.
As for the AMD vs NVidia, that is going to be tough to call, benchmark wise, AMD usually has the upper hand (though, I have found that can change if someone doing the test is more vested one way or the other) and is always cheaper, but game comparability and driver stability is usually worse than with NVidia. My experience with the 380 backs that up. But who knows at this point how the Pascal will compare. Got a few to go before we start seeing specs and the alike.

Edit: huh, go figure... Just didba quick search after posting and wala... Http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-480x-470x-specs-allegedly-revealed/

Appreciate your kind words and input thanks, hope it helps inspire others and understand not everyone will like the style of the case or would go for alternative AIO cpu cooling.

Spent a good bit of time on considering components so is nice when it looks/works well together. Will be exciting seeing how the new cards compare but really 1080p in all games with max settings and max AA should be possible if going by the expected/performances of the mid level cards.

I was close to making it a Lamborghini/Aventador theme but yeah Martini would be nice and I think the black case version with the red would make a nice Mclaren/Honda theme.

To give an idea with the Hue LED working alongside the TV it is possible to have this effect in the room or if I want just inside the PC case rather than a static colour. So adds an element of geek to the PC having a window but is quite nice.

Here is a random example of somones setup:

I never game in pitch dark with just a glowing TV screen anymore and really like Ambilight. You still focus on the screen of course but having the light in your peripheral to the real time action is pretty cool. It is also very manageable in how strong or active you want it via the TV's controls and with different modes to determine how it reacts or to even dedicate bulbs/light strips to specific regions of the screen only.

If the PC is to the left of the TV I can have the PC illuminate to the on-screen colours for bottom/centre or top left sections of the display. So much more advanced than those cheapo LED strips with colours and little remotes for selecting a colour or brightness.

Lighting will form part of my cockpit/immersion with the advanced tactile audio so I thought adding one of the RGB LED strips that I had to the PC might be kinda cool. Different sure and kinda gimmicky too but can all be switched off when not needed/wanted :)

Last edited:
My, My, My, lookie here. lol. Last I heard from mr latte you had spent like 100,000 pounds on the very best money could buy to build a rig to end all rigs, lol. You joined iRacing and argued against the man who built Simvibe from the ground up, you harassed him so much he left this site never to return and you were shown the door at iRacing if I'm not mistaken?.

Well now that I got that out of the way, what happened to that rig you were building? Was it ever completed? Sounds like you have given up on iRacing completely? iRacing has really evolved and it is miles ahead of every race game/service out there. As far as racing is concerned anyways. Assetto Corsa has a very nice package with nice physics but it's online racing doesn't compare to iRacing. pCars is no comparison to iRacing, not that it isn't fun or that it isn't an important game amongst console users and even PC users. I really like pCars, watching it evolve from start to well, where it is now. I'm not trying to downgrade pCars, it's that iRacing is really that much better then any other game or service out there.

I do own all of the games/services and they all have good and bad points about them. What I really am interested where you are going with this build mr latte. I hope you keep it civil, you always were well ahead of 90% of users here as far as the build was concerned, where your build progression was at anyways. Is money still no issue for your build? I really am watching this thread as you move forward. I wish you success at it, you always seem to get what you wanted and to me it seemed you focus more on the build rather then the racing aspect.

My rig has been performing flawless since my original design, I continue to improve on the design but for the most part it is 5 years old and still ticking. I race at iRacing still, in 2013 I won my division in the Riley DP by a wide margin. I have since moved up from division 7 to division 5 which is probably as high as my talent will take me. As a upper limb amputee at the age of 56 to be as competitive and as successful as I have been, I still have that passion to race but age isn't on my side, lol.

All the best Rodney, lets see some kick ass "mr latte design" move forward in peace!

Back