Racing Transmission vs. Fully Manual Transmission

• Thread starter Tommy_D
  • 32 comments
I`m finding it helps calm down a super quick snappy shift that affects handling coming out of a corner and has the added bonus of lowering pp.

Hey all,

I'm not that great at tuning so I generally use someone else's tune and I make little adjustments to make it work better for my driving style. Well one day I noticed that someone had chosen to go with a Fully Manual transmission instead of using the Racing transmission. Okay, no big deal, so I put in the Racing transmission and the PP jumped over the maximum required for the race. This got me thinking, what's the difference between these two transmissions? Both allow for full customization of every gear and the final drive ratio but the Racing Transmission generally is another ~10-12 PP more than the Full Manual Transmission.

In my A/B testing I have not noticed any significant difference in the performance of the car or it's driving dynamics between these two different transmissions. There is only 1 car I have used that I did notice a difference in performance and that was the Porsche 962C. For some reason that car does not do well with the Full Manual transmission. In my hands it performs a lot better with the racing transmission.

Considering that the Racing transmission is ~10-12 PP more than the Manual transmission and that it does not provide a noticeable improvement in the majority of the car's in the game, I'm more inclined to go with the Manual transmission and use the saved PP on things like more engine output, less ballast, or more front-end downforce.

Am I alone in this feeling? Am I missing some benefit that the Racing Transmission has over the Manual Transmission that I should know about? What are y'alls thoughts on this and how do you go about choosing the right transmission for the job?
Great data collection brother - this thread sounded like the internal convo my brain was having last night …

Keep up the good research

Hey all,

I'm not that great at tuning so I generally use someone else's tune and I make little adjustments to make it work better for my driving style. Well one day I noticed that someone had chosen to go with a Fully Manual transmission instead of using the Racing transmission. Okay, no big deal, so I put in the Racing transmission and the PP jumped over the maximum required for the race. This got me thinking, what's the difference between these two transmissions? Both allow for full customization of every gear and the final drive ratio but the Racing Transmission generally is another ~10-12 PP more than the Full Manual Transmission.

In my A/B testing I have not noticed any significant difference in the performance of the car or it's driving dynamics between these two different transmissions. There is only 1 car I have used that I did notice a difference in performance and that was the Porsche 962C. For some reason that car does not do well with the Full Manual transmission. In my hands it performs a lot better with the racing transmission.

Considering that the Racing transmission is ~10-12 PP more than the Manual transmission and that it does not provide a noticeable improvement in the majority of the car's in the game, I'm more inclined to go with the Manual transmission and use the saved PP on things like more engine output, less ballast, or more front-end downforce.

Am I alone in this feeling? Am I missing some benefit that the Racing Transmission has over the Manual Transmission that I should know about? What are y'alls thoughts on this and how do you go about choosing the right transmission for the job?
The difference is that on the manual the clutch pedal actually works, and the Racing transmission is meant for paddle shifters.

Back