Racism - Ignored?

• Thread starter s0nny80y
  • 775 comments
People find racism today to be absurd, outright outrageous, and non-existent. Today, it's taboo to pull the race card on anybody.

I strongly believe this not to be true. No one's saying it doesn't exist but for anybody thinking the race card is taboo, wake up; racism still exists. Plain and simple.

Do you believe that racism can be so subtle (with you not noticing) that someone with power--be it at a national, state, local, or even business level--can influence you and/or the way you live according to their racial bias?

It's been my belief that everyone is racist to a certain degree. This includes governments, because people are in charge of governments. I also think racisim has lot to do with difference in religion, culture, etc. and not just the skin color. I think the U.S.(where I live) has done great in reducing racism. I'm an asian, and I rarely get racist treatment these days, at least in Oregon. This doesn't include my non-asian friends. They are all racists and calls me names. ;)

Well doesn't "racism" apply to races ie. white, black, asian, etc.? "Prejudice" would be used for cultures/religions? I think we should just clear that up at the beginning here. :)

I think racism does exist, and I don't think it'll ever totally disappear.

Saleen Man
Well doesn't "racism" apply to races ie. white, black, asian, etc.? "Prejudice" would be used for cultures/religions? I think we should just clear that up at the beginning here. :)

I think racism does exist, and I don't think it'll ever totally disappear.
Oops. :ouch: Sorry, I think you're right. :D

a6m5
Oops. :ouch: Sorry, I think you're right. :D
Doesn't matter really, I just didn't want this thread to get off-topic 2 posts in. :scared: Er...

--------------------

I've actually lost a couple friends over the years to racism. I've known some severely racist kids, who would say ****** (can I say that?) all the time, and just trash anyone who wasn't white. It's kind of sad really.

I hate it when they say other races can't be racist towards white people. I am on the recieving end of racism all the time. Think about it I'm a white middle class male, I get the short end of the stick on anything when it comes to getting a job, getting money for school, anything. With all these race laws in affect now it is making a white guy not being able to get ahead in the world. I don't understand why everything can't just be based on who you are, not what color you are.

BlazinXtreme
I hate it when they say other races can't be racist towards white people. I am on the recieving end of racism all the time. Think about it I'm a white middle class male, I get the short end of the stick on anything when it comes to getting a job, getting money for school, anything. With all these race laws in affect now it is making a white guy not being able to get ahead in the world. I don't understand why everything can't just be based on who you are, not what color you are.

That's more income and crime related then race related. I'm a middle class black guy and I can't get anymore help then you because my parents made "too much" money.

Anyway, racism is the most hypocritcally thing. Especially when it comes to black people. If a black person wants to teach a class on European history, nobody is going to say anything. But if a white person wants to teach Black American(notice how I DIDN'T say Afro-American? ;) ) History, everyone goes nuts. What kind of lunacy is that?

My fiancee wanted to work at the new Black American history museum but was told that since she's white, there is almost zero chance of her getting hired. That's RACIST. Not to mention just plain stupid.

I really hate double standards.

Not all people are racist, a few more are prejudiced, but everyone is xenophobic.

Viper Zero
Kanye West hates black people.

I wouldn't go that far. But he is certainly radically misinformed as to how things work in government. He's hurting black people by saying what he did without proof and understanding.

This is exaclty the type of crap that I'm talking about. Black peole say somebody is a racist and we're all cool with it. A white person says a black person doesn't like whites and we're all over them. :yuck:

Swift
A white person says a black person doesn't like whites and we're all over them. :yuck:

Any evidence to back up this statement?

As it goes race relations in the US isnt very good compared to the UK. Infact I cant think of any country that does come anywhere close.

As for people such as blazing losing out on jobs I still have to see it to belive it. Who holds the most power in your city? White folks, State? White folks, Country? white people yet again and its like that in every country which has a ethnic mixture.

Young_Warrior
Any evidence to back up this statement?

I don't need evidence in this case. It's just the way things are. Look at my example about the Black American Museum. Now if I wanted to work at a museum showcasing European artwork and was refused because I was black, it would be something that any liberal group would jump over. But not the other way around.

Also, what about WHITE Africans. There are peope that are much more African then I that are not black. So, are they entitled to the "benifits"? or is it on Color? That's the double standard that I'm talking about with our politcal groups.

Swift
I don't need evidence in this case. It's just the way things are. Look at my example about the Black American Museum. Now if I wanted to work at a museum showcasing European artwork and was refused because I was black, it would be something that any liberal group would jump over. But not the other way around.

Also, what about WHITE Africans. There are peope that are much more African then I that are not black. So, are they entitled to the "benifits"? or is it on Color? That's the double standard that I'm talking about with our politcal groups.

What benifits do black people get that white people dont?

How do you know that you dont get a job if your black or white anyway? Its not as if they will tell you. And im sure that if you go into the black american museum there will be atleast one white person and if you go into the european museum there will be atleast one black person. Even so if your the person hiring someone you will more than likely hire someone of a race that goes with the theme of the museum but still hire one or two white people on purpose just to add that diversity.

Do you guys really think that a non white person is better off when looking for a job than a white person?

Like in the UK the poor white people always complain of all the foreigners coming over and taking their jobs. But quite frankly in london there is a job for everybody. There is absolutely no shortage of jobs and anyone that says they cant find a job is either lazy or is somehow weird and people dont want to employ them.
Yes I think that there are many people coming to the UK because they know that it is a soft touch but many foreigners taht do come over end up working hard to try and get themselves out of council homes etc.

Im a white person but I can understand that without any foreigners the british economy wouldnt be were it is now and I welcome the diversity that they bring with them.

What benifits do black people get? Well in America, it is easier to get money and accepted at a name university if you are a minority. At Oakland University, my school, if you are a minority you are pretty much gurenteed some sort of financial aid from the university, while if you are white and have good grades they just give you a big F U.

Racism does exist today. However, the vast majority of racism today occurs in "minority" groups. The list of most racist people I know of in my entire life is composed entirely of Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians.

I do know a few racist white people, but their prejudice pales in comparison.

Young_Warrior
What benifits do black people get that white people dont?

How do you know that you dont get a job if your black or white anyway? Its not as if they will tell you. And im sure that if you go into the black american museum there will be atleast one white person and if you go into the european museum there will be atleast one black person. Even so if your the person hiring someone you will more than likely hire someone of a race that goes with the theme of the museum but still hire one or two white people on purpose just to add that diversity.

Do you guys really think that a non white person is better off when looking for a job than a white person?

You didn't read my example did you? I'm not making a hypothetical here. My fiancée was told that since she wasn't black, she would be at the absolute bottom of the list to get a job at the black American history museum that we have to drive past to get to where she goes to school. That's what I'm talking about.

I hate it when race comes into play for anything except dietary tendencies in medicine. Such as black people tend to have high blood pressure because of the foods that they eat and so on.

And I'm not talking about the UK since I don't live there and have never been. I'm talking about the USA.

Now, socially I've experience racism but not on a very obvious or infringing level. I went to a restaurant and there was a group of us, I was the only black guy. I went up to the hostess and she made an effort to get to one of the white guys in the group. Obviously a racist statement. But in the scheme of things it was generally harmless.

What benefits do black people get? There are all kinds of gov't sponsored scholarships and grants for non-white people below a certain income level. Now, I think that's great, but it shouldn't matter what the skin tone is. Also, there are still many "quotas" in place that force private industry to higher a certain amount of non-whites and females. That is a benefit.

Look at that idiot Kanye West. He made an INCREDIBLY racist statement about President Bush. As far as I've know(and I've been looking into it) he's had no legal action taken against him. Also, the media isn't giving it a negative light at all. If a white entertainer were to say the same thing about a black person hating whites, they'd be slammed by the media and quite probably have legal action taken against them. This is the kind of garbage I'm talking about.

Financial Aid support by the Uni how do you know all this?

I see it like this there is no excuse for anybody to say oh I cant go college/uni because my parents cant afford it. Its like aint you never heard of a student loan cause if you dont know about that then you dont deserve to go to college.

In regards to people froma minority more likely to get into a name college I dont have a problem with that as its only going to be a handful of people anyway and it would be a much better place with atleast a bit of ethnic diversity. I mean in the end all the people applying for the name university will all have very similiar grades.

Swift
You didn't read my example did you? I'm not making a hypothetical here. My fiancée was told that since she wasn't black, she would be at the absolute bottom of the list to get a job at the black American history museum that we have to drive past to get to where she goes to school. That's what I'm talking about.

They straight up said your white so your at the bottom of the pile?

I doubt that.

Swift
And I'm not talking about the UK since I don't live there and have never been. I'm talking about the USA.

Now, socially I've experience racism but not on a very obvious or infringing level. I went to a restaurant and there was a group of us, I was the only black guy. I went up to the hostess and she made an effort to get to one of the white guys in the group. Obviously a racist statement. But in the scheme of things it was generally harmless.

What benefits do black people get? There are all kinds of gov't sponsored scholarships and grants for non-white people below a certain income level. Now, I think that's great, but it shouldn't matter what the skin tone is. Also, there are still many "quotas" in place that force private industry to higher a certain amount of non-whites and females. That is a benefit.

Look at that idiot Kanye West. He made an INCREDIBLY racist statement about President Bush. As far as I've know(and I've been looking into it) he's had no legal action taken against him. Also, the media isn't giving it a negative light at all. If a white entertainer were to say the same thing about a black person hating whites, they'd be slammed by the media and quite probably have legal action taken against them. This is the kind of garbage I'm talking about.

Well I do live in the UK and you didnt start the thread and the thread never made any indication of us to be talking about the US only. Im sure all poor people get the same kind of support but is advertised and geared more towards people of an ethnic minority.

The qoutas arent madatory are they because surely if say a ethnic person quits or get layed off and their staff workforce is full they arent gonna create a new position for a foreigner.

How could anyone take legal action against kanye west for saying bush doesnt care about black people. Its an opionon and you are actually the first black person to say such a powerful anti kanye statement. Hell in the UK people applaud him for saying whats on his mind.

Saying that if a white entertainer said what kanye said but about someone not caring about white people I think it would have to be warranted. If the same position came up for a white person to say taht about a black president then im sure the reaction would be the same as its not as if the white entertainer pulled the statement out of the air. Hell the KKK member numbers would probably be on the rise after such a statement.

Swift may I ask who is your favourite current artist and what music do you listen to mostly.

Young_Warrior
They straight up said your white so your at the bottom of the pile?

I doubt that.

You doubt it because you don't want to believe it? Well, I'm living it and it's true and it's sad. No you can choose not to believe me or you can believe that I have no reason to lie especially since I'm a black guy and technically it would "help" me.

Young_Warrior
Swift may I ask who is your favourite current artist and what music do you listen to mostly.

I listen to Gospel music. My current favorite artist is Isreal and the New Breed.

Well I do live in the UK and you didnt start the thread and the thread never made any indication of us to be talking about the US only. Im sure all poor people get the same kind of support but is advertised and geared more towards people of an ethnic minority.

The qoutas arent madatory are they because surely if say a ethnic person quits or get layed off and their staff workforce is full they arent gonna create a new position for a foreigner.

Yes, the quotas are mandatory here.

How could anyone take legal action against kanye west for saying bush doesnt care about black people. Its an opionon and you are actually the first black person to say such a powerful anti kanye statement. Hell in the UK people applaud him for saying whats on his mind.

So peole in the UK applaud missinformed opinions just because the person speaks their mind?

Saying that if a white entertainer said what kanye said but about someone not caring about white people I think it would have to be warranted. If the same position came up for a white person to say taht about a black president then im sure the reaction would be the same as its not as if the white entertainer pulled the statement out of the air. Hell the KKK member numbers would probably be on the rise after such a statement.

Right and the KKK is a politcal group.

Also, I'm not trying to turn this into a UK versus USA thread. But I simple can't comment on racism in the UK since I don't live there and haven't visited. This is why I made that statement earlier. I don't want to talk about something that I have no practical knowledge of. Especially when it comes to cultural, governmental or political tendancies.

Anyway back on topic I think racism is all around us.

I think there are people that are rascist and then there are people who are rascist unintentionally (whats the word im looking for)

By unintentionally I mean for example you will have foreign friends but then again you would never have sexual relations with one.

Young_Warrior

I think there are people that are rascist and then there are people who are rascist unintentionally (whats the word im looking for)

By unintentionally I mean for example you will have foreign friends but then again you would never have sexual relations with one.

WOAH!!! Where did that come from? Perhaps you would never have sexual relations with a redhead or a blonde or someone who was bald.. or someone with nose rings.

People are weird about sex. I don't think it's racist to not find a particular race or characteristic attractive. That's very different from the discussion here.

I don't hate anyone for their skin color

I mainly hate people for the way they act, the way they talk, or the way they treat others.

Sometimes it falls into a "majority" of one skin color, but that isn't my fault, nor it is my problem.

I think that a lot of stereotypes are true for a majority of a culture, but who cares.

I think if someone is in a country Illegaly, that it isn't a rascist statement to say "get the hell out"

Someone not getting a job, or even getting a job, because of what race they are, is rascist, because you are filling the definition, bias towards a race.

Some people DO play the race card. And some people really ARE race bias. Innocent until proven guilty in my opinion.

sicbeing
I don't hate anyone for their skin color

I mainly hate people for the way they act, the way they talk, or the way they treat others.

Sometimes it falls into a "majority" of one skin color, but that isn't my fault, nor it is my problem.

I think that a lot of stereotypes are true for a majority of a culture, but who cares.

I think if someone is in a country Illegaly, that it isn't a rascist statement to say "get the hell out"

Someone not getting a job, or even getting a job, because of what race they are, is rascist, because you are filling the definition, bias towards a race.

Some people DO play the race card. And some people really ARE race bias. Innocent until proven guilty in my opinion.

Well its fairly obvious you are talking about black people But how can you hate some one for the way they talk. Act yes but talk?

Even if a person is not in a country illegally alot of people say get out.

danoff
WOAH!!! Where did that come from? Perhaps you would never have sexual relations with a redhead or a blonde or someone who was bald.. or someone with nose rings.

People are weird about sex. I don't think it's racist to not find a particular race or characteristic attractive. That's very different from the discussion here.

There are beautiful people in everyrace. Fat people marry fat people dont they? Ther are tons of beautiful people in everyrace. Such things as nose rings are completly different.

Young_Warrior
There are beautiful people in everyrace. Fat people marry fat people dont they?

Fat people are a race now? :lol: Sorry that was just funny.

Young_Warrior
*snip*

Ok, you ducked the argument but no big deal.

Fat people marry fat people? Unless you're Peter Griffin or Homer Simpson.

danoff
Racism does exist today.

Unfortunately.

However, the vast majority of racism today occurs in "minority" groups.

:lol: You should've been a comedian! Care to elaborate on this? How am I a racist?

The list of most racist people I know of in my entire life is composed entirely of Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians.

[sarcasm]America's at war with Al-Qaeda -- but we're still losin' the war against Al Sharpton![/sarcasm]

I do know a few racist white people, but their prejudice pales in comparison.

Wow. :scared: I didn't think I was that bad?! Remind me again why my city (Yonkers) was nearly bankrupted in the early-to-mid 80s?

Back