[Rant] Dear Polyphony Digital...please fix your AI

• Thread starter eyasluna
  • 30 comments
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
30 lap endurance mission challenge. This is not an endurance test, the Army could use this mission to test potential recruit's mental health. It's an exercise in rage management. After over 6h of trying and damn near perfect lapping time and time again(I can basically drive the track blind folded now), I find myself restarting after about 40 minutes because the AI drivers will not stray an INCH out of their racing line - every time be it the driver I'm fighting for the position or a driver I am lapping, ALWAYS someone will clip me - from behind, by the side, doesn't matter - I will spin out and lose the race. They are like Gandalf from Fellowship - YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!

This test takes 60 minutes of my real life time and this should not happen all the time. I am at my wits end. I am only continuing trying because my OCD will not allow that silver trophy to stay.

/rant

Which one? And don't quit before the end. Pit earlier than the AI and simply pass them when they pit. Don't pass too early as that only gives them incentive to race harder, pit early and they'll slow down. When they get the 'boost' let them go ahead for a while instead of drive yourself off road or get bumped. They'll slow down again later.

It can lead to some hilarious situations, lapping a car, car speeds up, let him pass, car slows down to let you pass, pass car, car speeds up again. Happened to me 5 times in a row lol. Lapping cars is buggy.

Yeah they really lack any awareness of their surroundings.
Tell me about it. It's funny how some challenges are too easy and some are downright insane. I can only imagine what awaits later on....this wouldn't be so hard if it didn't last so long, it's incredibly frustrating spending almost an hour just to have it restarted again from the beginning.

Which one? And don't quit before the end. Pit earlier than the AI and simply pass them when they pit. Don't pass too early as that only gives them incentive to race harder, pit early and they'll slow down. When they get the 'boost' let them go ahead for a while instead of drive yourself off road or get bumped. They'll slow down again later.

It can lead to some hilarious situations, lapping a car, car speeds up, let him pass, car slows down to let you pass, pass car, car speeds up again. Happened to me 5 times in a row lol. Lapping cars is buggy.
Stage 6-8, 30 lap endurance. Really? You think I can recover spinning out 4-6 laps before the end after spinning out completely(losing a lot of time)? I'm going with the pit every 6 laps and RS tires strategy, before my first pit I reach position 9-11 every time. You think the fact you pass them too quickly makes them drive more aggressive the rest of the race? I did not now, I am still new to the game. I probably just need to chill and try it again cool headed. :-D

I tried this race two times. It seems like one car wants me dead. He rammed me from behind two times, havent tried ince. Same car. Red one. Came second both times. Was in the lead. He had furios speed. Haha

I don't recall this particular one being that hard but yes the AI is very annoying. It sees you coming on the right, then moves right...it sees you coming on the left, it moves left. It sees you inches behind on a great run through a corner and taps the brakes for no reason!

OK I am officially done with this challenge. I just drove 30 laps to the best of my abilities, I was super careful with the AI, I made no mistakes. Than in the last lap I am second and the legendary R.Morozov who was 1st pits in and I thought hey, I finally did it, just one more lap and I am home free......buuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttt, he still manages to pit out half a second ahead of me - my heart starts pounding - I am WTF why pit in the last lap in the first place? Then it dawns on me - he pit in for that Fast and the Furious NOS juice or some alien technology, but most of all to **** with me - and just like that, every corner he was half a second faster, I wouldn't catch him if I had 10 more laps. Bye R.Morozov, may the force be with you. And **** you.

Stage 6-8, 30 lap endurance. Really? You think I can recover spinning out 4-6 laps before the end after spinning out completely(losing a lot of time)? I'm going with the pit every 6 laps and RS tires strategy, before my first pit I reach position 9-11 every time. You think the fact you pass them too quickly makes them drive more aggressive the rest of the race? I did not now, I am still new to the game. I probably just need to chill and try it again cool headed. :-D

Use the fuel map on 4, hard tires and pit 3 times. Passing them early does make it harder as the AI is heavily rubber banded. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Take it slow early, pit in 9 then 18, then you can switch to max power and medium tires, pit in 24 for the last stop.

It's all practice anyway, the more you try the better you'll do it sport mode :)

Use the fuel map on 4, hard tires and pit 3 times. Passing them early does make it harder as the AI is heavily rubber banded. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Take it slow early, pit in 9 then 18, then you can switch to max power and medium tires, pit in 24 for the last stop.

It's all practice anyway, the more you try the better you'll do it sport mode :)
Thanks, I'll call it a night and maybe try that tomorrow.

VBR
I remember the days when I was optimistic, when I believed that PD cared what we thought, when I imagined that what I posted here had an impact upon them.
That's why I don't see you around here much anymore:guilty::sly:.

The AI in the GT series is the worst in all of sim racing. I haven't seen anything in GTS that changes that. I suspect it'll always be that way and the players have to adapt to the AI like they've always done, by nerfing their cars and tires to match the AI lap time. And I say matching lap times because the AI in no way matches your actual pace around the track, what with braking early, braking mid-corner, slow to get on the throttle etc. Of course that is until you pass them, after which they magically transform from a LeMons racing newbie at her first track day into Gilles Villeneuve:lol:

Go smooth, that's the secret. Don't be afraid of still being at the 7th or 8th position on lap 20. Just be steady. Because even at a conservative pace, you're still faster than the IA (there are some particular corners that they take the wrong way by nature). If you go faster than the previous lap, they'll go faster and get very agressive, and you don't want that to happen. I remember overtaking the 458 around lap 25 or 26. The rest of the race was a neat struggle to keep the 1st place.
And also, I noticed that the AI becomes kind of aware of you once you've spent enough time in their "zone"; just be patient, and you'll pass. Sometimes they will intentionally block you because of the one move right, but never twice in a corner/straight. And last thing, don't stay on the racing line during braking zones if there's someone around, because they brake way too early when you're behind them, and way later than you if you're ahead (that's why you get smashed). Anyway good luck, you'll make it !!

I tried exactly what you said, I finished 6th. I can not drive "slow" :-D I went back to the RS, pit every 6 laps, balls out approach and ended up 10 seconds in front of the second, leading the race for over half the race....even though that 458 was quite annoying at times.

Thanks for all the help and support guys, I kept my sanity in the end. :-P

Last edited:
Just lost the exact same endurance race I won by a minute yesterday, same car. The AI is just crazy. They will either be slow obstacles, Ram rockets or they will just happen to find an extra 200 hp under the hood that is only available to them.

Towards the last 5 laps the first guy decided to switch from Sunday drive mode to Vettel model. The lap times he pulled were crazy, I just couldn't keep up, I even tried cutting a few chicanes in my desperation. He upped the distance gap by 10 seconds in 5 damn laps, I have never seen that before and I wouldn't call myself a bad driver, no idea what they were thinking when they thought to put this in the game.

What I did was two stops, leaving me with three 10-lap stints for the race. I did Medium tire grade and went from fuel map 2-4 as my tires degraded. I rarely had to deal with much traffic as I was only slightly faster than the center of the field, and by the time I started catching the top performers they'd go in to the pits and wouldn't have to deal with them till around the time I needed to pit. But since the ai pits at least one more time than me, I got a hefty lead, even with the performance drop near the end of my tire's life, and basically just had to nurse myself the way home in the last 3-ish laps.

The one problem I did have (and this seems to be a recurring situation on all the other endurance mission races) was defending my spot from the p2-4 cars on the last lap or two, as they (usually) would take a pit a few laps prior, and we're on fresh rubber and had enough fuel to go ham on the throttle. If they catch up to you before the end, to avoid getting a pit maneuver I had to position myself directly in front of their car, they'd back off immediately and give me a precious few seconds of gap, anything else and I'd get sideswiped. If they got around me the race was done, I couldn't match their pace on old tires and a conservative map.

It's definitely possible with my strategy to finish the race without ever getting caught by the "rabbits", but I never ran a clean enough race to make it so. On my gold run I only got caught shortly after the hairpin falling the downhill section, and only really had to heavily defend in the last 3-4 corners.

All in all I think the best tactic is RS, pit every 6 laps....then again, I put almost 10h into this one race, so what do I know. :-D :-D

I did this mission during the beta in october, I waited a long time to pass it in the released game because I didn't want to do it again. I'm not as categoric as you on their agression and unawareness, though they still bump me from time to time, but the worst is they are really slow in general and ridiculously slow in certain corners (last chicane on Dragon Trail, among others :dunce:). And since they always move to a defensive line when you're close, even in the last second during braking sometimes, it seems like they just want to just block you indeed. And how many times I've seen the AI divebomb you when you are slightly ahead and crash in the wall. I think they need to have a SR too honestly :lol:
So annoying, 0 fun, 0 challenge except races where you have to pit and pass them again... In fact challenging for your patience. :banghead:

From my point of view, the AI's racecraft isn't that dramatic, but it seriously needs to pick up the pace, at least 3-5s a lap. If it didn't brake for nothing so often it would be a good start.

but the worst is they are really slow in general and ridiculously slow in certain corners (last chicane on Dragon Trail, among others :dunce:). And since they always move to a defensive line when you're close, even in the last second during braking sometimes, it seems like they just want to just block you indeed

Wow that's exactly what I think. I made the same reflexion to myself. They are not that aggressive, they just always take a defensive line. And because they are slow, they seem to block you, but actually, they don't, they are just slow...

The worst thing is when they brake on the exit to correct their line. That's terrible, and they do it all the time.

But still way too slow. Way, way too slow.
About the AI in custom race, the best way to race them is with a huge category gap.
I had a very challenging race against Gr.3 with a N500 McLaren F1 on Laggio Maggiore. That's the best balance I found yet

...don't get me wrong, but only challenge that was too much for me was on oval with that impreza rocket. And I done even that one... but the one with RSR was quite fun for me... did it few days ago for 4th or 5th time just to get that feeling of multiclass racing... was first by lap 22... Tire change every 10 laps and fuel up for next 10...

Cheers...

I'm no Nurburgring expert mind you. But the AMG in first place on that last Mission Challenge (at least for me, it was always an AMG) has great AI. Fast but fair (i.e. not rubber-bandy). Not sure what it is, but the AI in every other mode/challenge doesn't feel quite the same.

I found that using RSS and Fuel Map 3 is the way to go in that race. of course, it depends on how aggressive you drive.

Quick question - Do you get anything for completing the missions a second time?? I have got gold on all of them so have just left it because I thought once it was done that was it!

I'm a slow driver so have found them to be a challenge even on intermediate level so they are great for me.
And that's perfectly fine, that's why you can choose your difficulty level. But the maximum difficulty is way too low and the reason PD did that is beyond understanding since AI artificially slows down in corners all the time. I don't think I'm particularly quick but "expert" is already too easy by a good margin for me, so that probably affects a lot of people too.

I can't even imagine the faster guys who wants to have a bit of offline fun from time to time...

I'm considering using slower tyres, like SS or SM in Gr.3 races but that's a cheap workaround, I don't feel I'm taking part in a GT3 race anymore...

I've always wondered why, even on expert mode, the AI doesn't usually use the curbs in corners.

Back