Raspberry Pi Project

• Thread starter DG_Silva
  • 2 comments
England
Birmingham, UK
DG Silva
Hi Guys, I wondered if I could pick your collective brains please?

My brother has four fishing bite alarms (in which the line runs through a roller, and when the rollers turn, the PCB makes a speaker squeak). He's looking at fitting them with a remote speaker (there's a headphone jack at the bottom of each one), and was wondering if there's a way of running them wirelessly.

My initial thought was to have a 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitter for each speaker and a separate BT speaker. However, with each unit needing charging, it will mean charging eight batteries at a time.

My second thought was to use four audio leads and connect them to the D-Pad +ive and -ive terminals on a broken USB gamepad controller, which would then interpret them as completed inputs, and would then be picked up by a Raspberry Pi then play the specific rod number from an MP3 file to one Bluetooth speaker. The Pi could get its power supply from a USB powerbank.

Now, I'm sure this could be done, but I haven't got the faintest how to do it because I don't know the Pi's programming language. Can anyone help with the nuts and bolts of this, and also how to make the programme load on booting of the Pi please?

Hi Guys, I wondered if I could pick your collective brains please?

My brother has four fishing bite alarms (in which the line runs through a roller, and when the rollers turn, the PCB makes a speaker squeak). He's looking at fitting them with a remote speaker (there's a headphone jack at the bottom of each one), and was wondering if there's a way of running them wirelessly.

My initial thought was to have a 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitter for each speaker and a separate BT speaker. However, with each unit needing charging, it will mean charging eight batteries at a time.

My second thought was to use four audio leads and connect them to the D-Pad +ive and -ive terminals on a broken USB gamepad controller, which would then interpret them as completed inputs, and would then be picked up by a Raspberry Pi then play the specific rod number from an MP3 file to one Bluetooth speaker. The Pi could get its power supply from a USB powerbank.

Now, I'm sure this could be done, but I haven't got the faintest how to do it because I don't know the Pi's programming language. Can anyone help with the nuts and bolts of this, and also how to make the programme load on booting of the Pi please?

The "official" programming language for the RPi is Python, which is a very easy lanuage to learn; there are excellent tutorials all over the 'net just a search away. However pretty ,uch any language you like can be used to program the RPi. I even have an obscure language called PILOT running (or I should say runnable; because PILOT is a spectacularly useless language).

If you're going to be using the RPI's GPIO pins for any i/O with your sensors, the best library to use IMO is WiringPi. The official distribution does not have Python support, I don't believe, but there are packages available that add Python support to WiringPi.

As for the hardware, I can't help you much there; not enough info to go in.

Depending on the range required I'd use ESP8266 modules for this. You might not even need anything more than just the modules and batteries to power them, a Pi would be overkill and the battery wouldn't last very long. An Arduino (or a cheap clone) could also do this more efficiently than a Pi.

That said, if you want to do it your way - it might be a good intro to Python, after all - check out https://pypi.org/project/inputs/

Back