Rauh Welt Begriff

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 423 comments
United States
Houston, TX
The general RWB thread. Dedicated to the body shop from Chiba, Japan and the work they do on the 911 chassis.

Founder Akira Nakai started off modifying the AE86 platform for racing in the mountain passes of Japan.
01-6.jpg

This "rough style" eventually made its way to Porsche 911s, continuing the legend.
71140ef164d9a6d43d4e103daf66a4d2.jpg

eurp_1011_10_o%2Brauh_welt_begriff_porsches%2Bakira_nakai.jpg

ndf_4977-edit.jpg

ndf_4839-edit.jpg

Nakai travels around the world and still builds every car himself. What a dream job!

I made this thread to keep from spamming the Imports and other general car threads. I'll post updates on current builds and pictures from track days and what not. Hopefully with my own RWB build someday!

I'm torn on RWB. I like the attitude behind the cars, and I like the skill that goes into them, but the cars themselves I find pretty hideous. I'm by no means someone who cares too much about Porsches to see huge kits attached to them - the whole Porsche thing is appealing because of what people do - but the RWB cars are just... well, a mess.

I did like this Beetle though:

Larry_Chen_speedhunters_RWB_Volkswagen_Beetle-27-800x533.jpg

I'm torn on RWB. I like the attitude behind the cars, and I like the skill that goes into them, but the cars themselves I find pretty hideous. I'm by no means someone who cares too much about Porsches to see huge kits attached to them - the whole Porsche thing is appealing because of what people do - but the RWB cars are just... well, a mess.

I did like this Beetle though:

Larry_Chen_speedhunters_RWB_Volkswagen_Beetle-27-800x533.jpg
The guy who made that Beetle isn't associated with RWB in case you're wondering.

I love the idea behind the RWB cars, but I think that they usually take it about half again too far. I prefer 930s when they look like 934s much more than when they go full 935. Half the time the 930s that they do look more like dually pickups than they do cars taking full advantage of wider wheel wells.

I agree it isn't for everyone. Would a molded in non-riveted version sway you either way?
Not really. It's not the rivets I object to so much as the extent to which things are taken. @Tornado pretty much hits the nail on the head.
I love the idea behind the RWB cars, but I think that they usually take it about half again too far. I prefer 930s when they look like 934s much more than when they go full 935. Half the time the 930s that they do look more like dually pickups than they do cars taking full advantage of wider wheel wells.

I've always likes how 934s, 935s and 993 GT2s looked, so i do begrudgingly like how the RWB 911s look a lot of the time. But, it's so over done now. You've seen one RWB Porsche, you've seen them all. I can't even begin to imagine how awful they'll be to drive on the road too, unless all Japanese roads are super flat and super smooth.

I see the hype for these things and kinda wonder where people have been for the past 40 years, as widebody 911s have been with us since this thing:
tumblr_mifk2v4CtW1qkqupno1_1280.jpg

And that was in '73. There have literally been thousands of widebody 911s built over the years that are as extreme if not more as the widest RW cars, so I've come to the conclussion that the fact that these things come from just one shop and have stylistic elements that reel them together and that are decidedly different than what the Porsche world was used to see -the Work wheels, the ricer stickers and names, the giant RWB banner on the windshield- the least of which are the wide fenders really, is where the force of the RWB thing lies.

That and well, the fact that one of the strongest websites in the world practically worships them. I could go about painting MGBs in pink and putting japanese wheels in them, and if a guy from Speedhunters is my friend, I'd have a "movement" all of my own now.

Not to understimate the RWB style, which I love, or the work that the guy does, but it's really nothing too extreme. The fact that there are so many of them running around now looking all the same except in different colors is what has made them a phenomenon, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

I see the hype for these things and kinda wonder where people have been for the past 40 years, as widebody 911s have been with us since this thing:

And that was in '73. There have literally been thousands of widebody 911s built over the years that are as extreme if not more as the widest RW cars, so I've come to the conclussion that the fact that these things come from just one shop and have stylistic elements that reel them together and that are decidedly different than what the Porsche world was used to see -the Work wheels, the ricer stickers and names, the giant RWB banner on the windshield- the least of which are the wide fenders really, is where the force of the RWB thing lies.

As you said, wide bodied race replica 911s are nothing new. My first ever race, which was 20 years ago this year, was a closed wheel all-comers race at Oulton Park, in heavy rain. This car below won it, driven by Richard Chamberlain. It had been around for ages before that too. it too started life as a regular 911 and has been modified and updated to echo various aspects of racing 911s but never looking exactly like any one in particular. I think it wears a Moby Dick style extended rear end now following an engine fire which destroyed the back end. Perhaps that could be a new direction for future Rauh Welts?

Screen shot 2015-08-14 at 15.24.47.png

That and well, the fact that one of the strongest websites in the world practically worships them. I could go about painting MGBs in pink and putting japanese wheels in them, and if a guy from Speedhunters is my friend, I'd have a "movement" all of my own now.

Not to understimate the RWB style, which I love, or the work that the guy does, but it's really nothing too extreme. The fact that there are so many of them running around now looking all the same except in different colors is what has made them a phenomenon, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

There's widebody Porsche's... as in an early RSR or the Turbos... but RWB take widebody to a completely different level :lol:

Wide Porsches have been around forever, yes. But how often did that style get transferred to a street car? I dig it because sometimes I like the feeling of driving a radical race car on the road.

I'm curious. Is there a meaning behind the name?
Meaning is "Rough World Evolution". I don't think it's any deeper than that, just sounds cool.

What I think is neat is that the cars are always changing. A build he does this week may have a different shape bumper than last week. I don't feel they are getting stale. Look at this whale tail.
11822544_864770340237784_7231585424009246639_n.jpg

Or here's a basic ducktail.
11796238_859272754120876_2780586480603249859_n.jpg

Retro style?
11745778_855441381170680_4678625471277452381_n.jpg

Clean targa.
11742837_853448138036671_1557461973939239298_n.jpg

Or something totally wild.
11393254_837175619663923_1813060120494378107_n.jpg

As you said, wide bodied race replica 911s are nothing new. My first ever race, which was 20 years ago this year, was a closed wheel all-comers race at Oulton Park, in heavy rain. This car below won it, driven by Richard Chamberlain. It had been around for ages before that too. it too started life as a regular 911 and has been modified and updated to echo various aspects of racing 911s but never looking exactly like any one in particular. I think it wears a Moby Dick style extended rear end now following an engine fire which destroyed the back end. Perhaps that could be a new direction for future Rauh Welts?

That thing is wonderful, and stupíd-wild. Just look at that.

Still, it's a dedicated race car, while I don't think Nakai has ever built a race-only car, they are all street cars that the owners (at least over there, as I understand everywhere else they're treated like show queens) track regularly.

There have been thousands of wild widebody street builds in years past, but Rauh Welt cars have a style deffinitely all their own which, again, is their strongest point in my opinion. You see a widebody Porsche built in anywhere else and go "look at that widebody 911". You see a RWB car and say "look at that RWB". It's a thing that Japanese shops are specially good at, like all the gold Top Secret cars, or the red/white Matchless Crowd Racing cars. I can't really recall shops in other parts of the world that have developed a visual style of their own... lol, maybe Bobby Alloway's hot rods:
AHRSGrpShot1.jpg

I can't really recall shops in other parts of the world that have developed a visual style of their own
I think what 'Z cars' do to their Mini's, is of a similar kind of ilk.

I really like RWB's style, but prefer the smoother looks of earlier work when it comes to the 993.
I'm not a huge fan of the exposed bolts and canards etc etc, much prefer this approach:

I dig it because sometimes I like the feeling of driving a radical race car on the road.
Well that's the other thing of course... has RWB actually done anything on track? Other than make a few cars that win the odd time attack, like anyone outside Japan really gives much of a monkeys about time attacks?

I think I'd find it easier to appreciate the kits if his cars were off dominating some race series or other. 935s etc may look similarly wild, but they also have more to show for it.

Also, :lol: at @Cano's comment about pink MGBs. Definitely an element of that to it, I reckon. I love Speedhunters, but they don't half get stuck in trend-holes sometimes. It's Gatebil next month, which is my annual signal to not bother visiting the site for a month or two. Seen one shonky-looking drift car based on a bland Eurobox, you've seen 'em all...

like anyone outside Japan really gives much of a monkeys about time attacks?
No idea where this notion has come from. Time Attack is suffering slightly in Japan, it's very much an international sport and it has some of the biggest engineer/aerodynamicist names in international motorsport, mostly ex-F1 guys. WTAC has only a couple of Japanese entrants at best in a field of Australians, the rest of the action is firmly Europe based - UKTA is still car for car the biggest British championship.

Regarding your stance on Gatebil, it seems unfairly dismissive, considering that Gatebil is a race series and Time Attack series before drifting. There's a reason why people love it - it's because you get WRC drift cars, DTM cars, special saloons and pre-war sports cars coming together all at once. Whatever your field of interest in cars or motorsport, someone will have it covered.

Last edited:
Back