Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
^
Your welcome. 👍
The Russian Red SKS is a "blast" to shoot. She has seen a lot of rounds put through her. Love this thing. :drool:

Man, that SKS is beautiful!!! :eek:👍 Love the scope on the rifle. Can't go wrong with a AR/sniper rifle. 👍

Nice SKS's. Wish I had the fiberglass stock on mine still to compare. It's in the garage though and not worth digging out and swapping over lol.

Man, that SKS is beautiful!!! :eek:👍 Love the scope on the rifle. Can't go wrong with a AR/sniper rifle. 👍

Thanks ;)

Nice SKS's. Wish I had the fiberglass stock on mine still to compare. It's in the garage though and not worth digging out and swapping over lol.

Thanks ;)

Since that fiberglass stock is sitting in your garage doing nothing but collecting dust, why don't you go dig it out and sell it to me. Seriously, I'll buy it off of you if it's in a worthy condition.

Thanks ;)

Thanks ;)

Since that fiberglass stock is sitting in your garage doing nothing but collecting dust, why don't you go dig it out and sell it to me. Seriously, I'll buy it off of you if it's in a worthy condition.

It's like brand new. Not even a scratch on it. Even comes in the original box but the box is pretty rotted away.

Thanks Kent. 👍

Kind of funny that you made mention of it being heavy and short stocked. My bud says exactly the same thing. He loves the SKS guns, but his build is not suited for this application. He's got those 10' long basketball arms and he just looks all scrunched up when shooting one. :lol: He's an Enfield or an M91/30 kind of a guy .... long gun with room for his long arms to work the piece comfortably.

Yes, I'll admit, this particular one is nose heavy. The grenade launcher would not have anything to do with it now ..... would it. 💡:lol:
Overall weight, I'd have to weigh this to see exactly where it comes in at, but really, this particular one does carry some weight with it in comparison to my other SKS.

When I get a chance tomorrow night, I'll post up my 30 round Russian Red SKS in comparison to this one. The differences are pretty amazing.

Awesome!
I wrote that and like 5 seconds later said to myself "this could turn ugly" followed by a "that escalated quickly." :lol:
Glad you understood what I was trying to get at because regardless of my personal compatibility with that particular model, it's a fine rifle for sure (and your example looks well kept for sure). 👍

It's like brand new. Not even a scratch on it. Even comes in the original box but the box is pretty rotted away.

I could care less about the box. :lol: I'm not interested in that, I would be interested in that stock if you have no use for it though. So, do you want to sell it ?

The reason I ask is that I know where there is another SKS for sale ... cheap. The problem being, the stock is junk. It's cracked all the way through, been glued together, has a few chunks out of it. It's just in overall poor condition, not salvageable by any stretch of the matter. The iron however is in good shape. Clean bore, some surface rust, not bad, but very restorable. I would just need a stock for it.

Awesome!
I wrote that and like 5 seconds later said to myself "this could turn ugly" followed by a "that escalated quickly." :lol:
Glad you understood what I was trying to get at because regardless of my personal compatibility with that particular model, it's a fine rifle for sure (and your example looks well kept for sure). 👍

I knew what you were getting at right from the get go, we're good. 👍

Thanks 👍

BTW - what "toys" do you have ?

I could care less about the box. :lol: I'm not interested in that, I would be interested in that stock if you have no use for it though. So, do you want to sell it ?

I knew what you were getting at right from the get go, we're good. 👍

Thanks 👍

BTW - what "toys" do you have ?

I'll have to talk to my father as technically it's his but I don't think he'd mind as he's trying to get rid of stuff anyways. It's got a, I want to say maple finish on it.

Let me know. I am interested for sure.

Will do man, it's really nice for sure as I think it was taken off soon after it was purchased for the synthetic folding stock on it now. I believe the gun is a Norinco "Paratrooper" SKS.

Finally got to go out shooting today for the first time in almost a year. I took out my M&P22, and after about 40 rounds of practice, shot this at ten yards:
media

After I got bored with that, I walked over and grabbed my friend's .308. I love this gun; the hole underneath my thumb is three (yes, three) rounds at 100 yards using a bipod:
media

I think I've still got it. :lol:

Won a skeet shooting competition Wednesday... The sad part is, I've never been skeet shooting or even fired a shotgun before. Turns out I'm a fantastic shot, hit more than 75% of them. :D

I went to the range earlier today. I shot 600 rounds at the range today. Both my PPQ and P22 each sent 300 rounds down range. The PPQ continues to eat everything I try. I shot 200 rounds of Tulammo Brass Maxx, 50 rounds of Winchester 9mm NATO 124 gr, and 50 rounds of 147 gr Speer Lawman. Not having shot in quite some time, my groups were mostly good. I need to work more on breaking the trigger cleaner. My off hand shooting needs a ton of work. However, by the time I tried some off hand, three of the last five magazines shot on the day, I was pretty well ready to go. I definitely shot a few too many rounds today and needed a break.

The P22 on the other hand is a different story. I knew going into buying a P22 that the pistols tend to be picky on what type of .22LR work well. I shot 200 round of Federal HV Match and 100 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity. The P22 ate the CCI pretty well. I believe the CCI only had two or three FTEs. The Federal on the other hand had a bunch of issues. I think every magazine had a problem with the first round and probably all but a few had a problems with the second round. However after those two rounds, the P22 tended to have few problems. Guess I will have to try out other stuff and see what works best.

Hopefully it's just breaking in? Yet another confirmation of CCI's superior reliability.......

I think that may partially be the case. I did some reading and it seemed the P22 needs quite a few rounds run through to break in the pistol.

We need Solid Lifters in here. He's familiar with P22, at least few years ago he was(I think). :lol:

It's not quite large enough, but I still use my Maxpedition Versipack.

0403K_7_detail.jpg

This pic for like the third time on here:

I'm not recommending it for range use, but it is a handy "man-purse"(I hate my friends).
Guns & earmuffs don't fit in the bag, so I hang the muffs on the shoulder strap, and carry the guns in pistol case or long gun bag(or whatever they were called). Ammo, tools, etc., I carry in the Versipack.

I've yet to consider electronic muffs, but that sounds like a great idea. 👍 I'm currently using a Husqvarna non-folding earmuffs. Works good. My first one was(still have it) a folding design, but it was awkward to use by design, I didn't care for it. With the electronic one, I don't think you have to take it off to talk to other people, so that's pretty cool.

Eye protection, I use these. Oh my god, how does the price go down again. I already have two pairs(black & gold), but since they have dark lenses, I may buy another here. :P

I love my electronic ear pro. I can hear the gun's parts move, I can hear people talk, I don't have to take the muffs on and off for ceasefires, and I'm generally more aware of my surroundings. I highly recommend.

Finally got a chance to get out and shoot the 7mm Browning that runs on 7mmWSM.
We wanted to hit the 3-4 hundred yd. range but it was closed due to lawn maintenance and other things, the 300 yd. utility range was in use, so that left us with the biggie .... the 5-6 hundred yarder.

The rifle
7MM2_zpsf2a326c2.jpg

The Range

The results @ 500 yards
target2_zps3c5c940a.jpg

target3_zps723ca167.jpg

Sort of a scattered MOA, but I'll take it. This was my 1st time firing this rifle. A little more sighting / practice and it should come together a little bit more clean.

Tusco is an awesome gun club. In 2008 it was rated by the NRA as Gun Club of the Year. Pretty awesome place.

Lots to do down there, and the events they hold are just as great.

* This past Saturday saw the Kids on Target event being held. It was a chance for kids from 10-16 to come on out and get familiarized with proper handling, care, and to learn shooting techniques. This was fun, I had a blast there working with the youth.

* On Sept. 21st and 22nd the Thompson Collectors assoc. will be on hand for a shooting showdown and a temporary museum set up inside the main building. The museum will feature 2 of the original Thompsons used in the St. Valentines Day Massacre. This will be really cool to see.

* Oct. 12 will be the Women on Target event. A class for women who want to get out there and learn the finer arts of shooting, handling / technique, and care of a weapon. Also during this event, the women will be allowed to shoot anything and everything from 22's to M60's ..... quite the event. Guns supplied by members of Tusco. This is the date where if you "legally" own it ---- then bring it. All hell breaks loose down here during this event.

I ordered the range bag, magazine holder, and electronic ear pro yesterday. Looking forward to getting all of it in the mail. I am tentatively planning to make another trip to the range sometime this week, likely Friday or Saturday.

Finally got a chance to get out and shoot the 7mm Browning that runs on 7mmWSM.
We wanted to hit the 3-4 hundred yd. range but it was closed due to lawn maintenance and other things, the 300 yd. utility range was in use, so that left us with the biggie .... the 5-6 hundred yarder.

The rifle
7MM2_zpsf2a326c2.jpg

The Range

The results @ 500 yards
target2_zps3c5c940a.jpg

target3_zps723ca167.jpg

Sort of a scattered MOA, but I'll take it. This was my 1st time firing this rifle. A little more sighting / practice and it should come together a little bit more clean.

Jeez, that's all over the place. Do some math before you fire next time. :P

Jeez, that's all over the place. Do some math before you fire next time. :P

:lol:
Working on it ..... Virgin gun @ 500 yds., never shot it before, try working on sighting it between 2 users going back and forth with it, kinda tough :boggled:. Next weekend (by myself - well, the wife will go and be my sight aid --- no other shooters involved), I'm going to hone this sucker in.

All black is the goal, I'll get it. ;)

Let T-Rex guide you, padawan. And always talk with a Ted Nugent accent when zeroing your rifle.

I am looking at range bags right now and cannot decide on which one to buy. I am probably also going to pick up these: Howard Leight Electronic Earmuffs.

These arrived in the mail today. I put the muffs on, flicked on the power, adjusted the volume, and could hear the fan in my room more than normal. I am looking forward to trying them out at the range.

Latest Posts

Back