Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
I am waiting for a friend to arrive at my house and then I will be doing some shooting today.

I am waiting for a friend to arrive at my house and then I will be doing some shooting today.

I put 120 rounds through the Tavor today and 100 rounds through the VP9. Well technically, I did not put 120 rounds through the Tavor. Three other people put some of those rounds down range. It was a pretty big hit among everyone that shot it.

The Aimpoint on Tavor still needs a bit of fine tuning, as I did not do any more adjusting today, but it is still close like it was last time. I took a couple of shoots at the 200 yard gong, but managed to only hit the left chain that held up the left side of gong. :ouch: I went down and looked at the chain and it appeared I only helped finish the thing off. Fortunately, I talked to one of the staff people and the chains being shot was an expected occurrence.

I need to put in some work with my trigger manipulation on both rifles and pistols. I was more sloppy than I should have been. It did not help that I was out on the range today just wanting to put some rounds down range to get out of the house and to get my mind off of other matters.

Even with my crappy shooting, I still had a good time and look forward to my next trip out to the gun club.

Next time you're not hitting your target check the bore. :eek:

2.jpg

You need to get a 25 meter zeroing target and learn to zero. Can have it zeroed at 25/300m or 50/200m (that will require a little bit of calculation if you use the 25m target). Those are the numbers for a 5.56" AR, Tavor is probably similar enough (sight height over bore, etc).

An update on my squib load from the manufacturer today. Was in fact a squib load. Many apologies for it happening. Sending out a 250rd bulk pack of replacement ammo (the same number I ordered, so I got to shoot around 100 rounds for free), plus a 50rd pack of 208gr subsonic A-max rounds for the trouble (I just looked, they have that box on sale for $45..wow). They're sending back the brass I sent in as well. Definitely great customer service and won't hesitate to deal with them in the future.

You need to get a 25 meter zeroing target and learn to zero. Can have it zeroed at 25/300m or 50/200m (that will require a little bit of calculation if you use the 25m target). Those are the numbers for a 5.56" AR, Tavor is probably similar enough (sight height over bore, etc).

In the Marine Corps we zeroed at 36 ft with the elevation knob for an M16A2 at 3 which = 300 meters on a simulated 300 meter target. 0-300 zero just point and shoot. Some of the rifles were pretty bent but once you get the front sight post and rear sight aperture to a true zero, they would shoot straight. My first M16A2 was so crooked that my true zero was 14 clicks left on the rear sight aperture and 12 down from flush on the front sight post. Then when I got a newer one, I thought it would shoot the same so I set it to my other rifle's zero and it wouldn't even hit the paper lol

I prefer the 50m zero a bit more. Its only ever going to be a few inches off within 0-200, probably same for out to 300. As far as practicality with a battle rifle, either is definitely going to be good enough for body shots.

Next time you're not hitting your target check the bore. :eek:

2.jpg

WTF is that... are those bullets stuck inside the barrel? Holy s:censored:, I would crap myself if that happened to me. A few more rounds and the gun would have exploded in your hands. Dude, seriously, what the hell happened there? :eek::eek::eek:

WTF is that... are those bullets stuck inside the barrel? Holy s:censored:, I would crap myself if that happened to me. A few more rounds and the gun would have exploded in your hands. Dude, seriously, what the hell happened there? :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, some people should not have guns.

I've already seen my fair share of dangerous things on the range, once I saw a guy shooting a Mauser 98 rifle with a strange muzzle report. I went closer to examine the brass he ejected and when I inspected it I found it out its .308 but straight-walled, no neck!
Puzzled by the strange look of the brass I checked the rifle and turned out its chambered for the much longer 30-06! That guy literally fire-formed the brass inside the chamber and the bullet was jumping into the bore like in a revolver, only with rifle pressures. Had I been range officer that day I would have kicked him out in a split second.

Idiots grow on trees nowadays.

Yeah, some people should not have guns.

I've already seen my fair share of dangerous things on the range, once I saw a guy shooting a Mauser 98 rifle with a strange muzzle report. I went closer to examine the brass he ejected and when I inspected it I found it out its .308 but straight-walled, no neck!
Puzzled by the strange look of the brass I checked the rifle and turned out its chambered for the much longer 30-06! That guy literally fire-formed the brass inside the chamber and the bullet was jumping into the bore like in a revolver, only with rifle pressures. Had I been range officer that day I would have kicked him out in a split second.

Idiots grow on trees nowadays.

Hold on... so, if I'm not mistaken, then that rifle wasn't a Mauser, but a Springfield? :odd:

No, Mauser rifles came in many different calibers and were often re-chambered/converted to other calibers. Popular Mauser calibers: 7x57, 7.65x53, 7.92x57 (8x57), 9x57, 9.3x62, 30-06, .308 and many more.

No, Mauser rifles came in many different calibers and were often re-chambered/converted to other calibers. Popular Mauser calibers: 7x57, 7.65x53, 7.92x57 (8x57), 9x57, 9.3x62, 30-06, .308 and many more.

Ahh, I see. Damn, 9x57 rifle round, wonder how that round does. :scary: But yeah, that was a pretty stupid move by the owner of the Mauser rifle. People shouldn't ever force a gun to fire ammunition of a different caliber. Doesn't matter if they were using whatever they had left lying around or if they were "experimenting" and such.

I've always wondered... how do you engineer a gun to have a burst fire mode? I mean, I can easily understand how semi-auto and full-auto firearms work, but when it comes to burst-fire, how do you make the action stop at 2-3 rounds while you're still holding down the trigger?

I've seen pictures of M16 fire control groups with burst fire. It basically takes three shots to disconnect the auto sear (if those are the right terms). You can sort of tell what's up when you see it. After the first shot the fire control group is in a slightly different configuration and so on until it goes through the complete burst.

^What he said.

I've never held a burst fire rifle in my hands but I guess there is a part in the trigger group with three positions that controls the sear - every time the bolt cycles said part moves a ''notch'', after the last notch it blocks the sear that holds and releases the firing pin / hammer. When the trigger resets so does that piece and you're good for another burst.

Oh, thats what I shot with my CZ452 .22 at 100 meters recently, almost all sub MOA groups with the best one measuring 18.5 millimeters / .72 inch.

22er100m1_zpsglsuygtx.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I meant about the low price point making me nervous. As you said, I'd also rather spend bit more for more quality firearm. 👍

Good point on the manufacturing process of 1911s. I'm reminded of its more "complex" design every time I clean mine. :D

As someone who has old Colt double-action revolvers, all I can say is dude you ain't even seen complex yet until you go to full disassembly cleaning on one of those haha!

Ahh, I see. Damn, 9x57 rifle round, wonder how that round does. :scary:

It's pretty much just a necked-up version of the old 8x57mm Mauser German military round (aka 7.92x57mm) to accept a .356" bullet. It went out of production a long time ago, somewhere around 1940 I think. Ballistics are decent enough for use against carbou, elk, etc (very similar to the .358 Winchester). Since it's an old, lower pressure, big bullet rifle round it does well enough until after medium hunting ranges or so, then it starts to drop off rather quickly by modern standards.
There's no factory-made 9.57mm Mauser ammo that I'm aware of (note: they made both rimmed and rimless cartridges of this round, bolt-actions will use rimless and single-shots will use rimmed) and it doesn't really do anything noteworthy to make it worth the trouble to handload unless your grandfather leaves you a rifle that fires it or something. Personally I wouldn't pay any money for a 9x57mm at a gun show; rifles that chambered it are still widely available in much more popular calibers and since it was not a military round it doesn't have a whole lot of historical value either.

As someone who has old Colt double-action revolvers, all I can say is dude you ain't even seen complex yet until you go to full disassembly cleaning on one of those haha!
I'll take your word for it. :D

Actually, having been spoiled by Glock on SUPER easy cleaning, 1911 feels like a chore to line up everything before putting it back together. ARs though..... If it wasn't for youtube, I'd have to sell my AR and invest in a dog or something. That rifle is a pain in the butt to take apart & put back together. *looks around for Zenith & Blood Eagle* j/k

11008518_1124092534283068_8693596076286288008_n.jpg

There's a little comparison. From left to right, we have ZQI SS109 62gr 5.56 (this is the same as a green tip M855), Hornady Superformance Match BTHP 77gr 5.56, 150gr FMJ 300AAC Blackout, and 208gr A-Max 300AAC Blackout. That's a big ol' bullet.

Damn, how can you have the same cartridge with such a radically different bullet / aspect ratio?

If you look at a 55gr 5.56 and a 62gr (or the heavy 77gr) you'll see a similar difference in length and shape, just less dramatic being a smaller difference.

77gr is 40% heavier than a 55gr
208gr is 38% heavier than a 150gr

Of course, a lot of times the heavier bullet has a lot of its mass being deeper into the case.

I'll take your word for it. :D

Actually, having been spoiled by Glock on SUPER easy cleaning, 1911 feels like a chore to line up everything before putting it back together. ARs though..... If it wasn't for youtube, I'd have to sell my AR and invest in a dog or something. That rifle is a pain in the butt to take apart & put back together. *looks around for Zenith & Blood Eagle* j/k

I don't know if a YouTube video exists, but look up disassembly for any of: Colt 1877 (it'll probably break before they get it back together though lol), Colt 1878, Colt Police Positive (and Special), or Colt D-Frame (basically what the Police Positive evolved into so to speak).
Some of Colt's later police duty revolvers were less complex and more rugged, but they still put out the Python to show the world they haven't lost a step when it comes to making an action so ridiculously complex you're probably going to need a mechanical engineering degree to put it back together haha!
I exaggerate, but only slightly.

I did. Whether I should have, I don't know. Graduation present to myself I guess. Was going to wait a while (my concealed carry license won't be here until maybe early July :( ) but it seems like the gen 3 is getting harder to find so I decided to just suck it up and buy now.

I did. Whether I should have, I don't know. Graduation present to myself I guess. Was going to wait a while (my concealed carry license won't be here until maybe early July :( ) but it seems like the gen 3 is getting harder to find so I decided to just suck it up and buy now.
Well, congrats. 👍

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but have you shot one before? I don't know of anyone who carry one, but I know of people who used to own them. :P .40 caliber sounds interesting though, and although I've yet to shoot a 4th Gen Gock, I am also a fan of the Gen 3.

I have a police trade in Glock 22, the fullsize 40. I've been checking out the 27 a lot lately and I'm convinced on sticking to a smaller Glock as a carry gun for familiarity (not to mention reliability and all other reasons to own a Glock). I imagine you're referring to what should be a pretty decent recoil. I think it'll be plenty manageable.

Gonna run by the FFL I'm transferring to tomorrow and get my waiting period started. Might have the gun by Wednesday.

I made it out to the range today for a short time and shot 60 rounds through my Tavor and about ten rounds through a Mosin Nagant. It was also the first time I had shot something chambered in a battle rifle cartridge. Of the ten rounds, I put about eight of them on the gong. I also plastered the gong with my Tavor, ripping off about six or seven straight just as soon as I let the trigger reset. Shooting steel is pretty freaking awesome. It was a good, short day of shooting.

Back