Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,847 comments
I load my 45-70's to 525 and 560 grains @ 1550 fp/s. :dopey: Thats hotter than any 12 gauge shotgun slug except the hottest magnums.

Speaking of magnums, if I had to dirtnap oversized lizards I'd still use a 12 Gauge double barrel loaded with two Dixie terminator slugs. 870 grains at 1270 between the eyes should put any living creature on its butt. :eek:

soo.... I just got a K98...

Don't really have much info other than the action says AX and the year was 1941. I used to know a lot about them when I was on the hunt for one two or three years ago, then I became a Mosin fanatic because the prices of those stayed relatively low. It's a Russian Capture too so unfortunately not everything matches, and the bolt has been etched, but I don't see any sign of an import mark..???

anyways, I'll take pictures later, I'm in a time crunch right now.

Finally went and fired my TiSAS 1911. I may not be very accurate after magazine #6, but damn, that's a fun weapon to shoot. Honestly, I'm not too accurate regardless. Perhaps a 1911 in .45 ACP wasn't the wisest first choice.

Question, friends: I'm looking to pick up either a 9mm or a .380, but the catch is that it has to be a 1911 or 1911 style. Suggestions?

Max budget 600 unless a really good argument can be made. If non-1911 options make sense (I like the Ruger SR9) then the max budget is 500.

Congrats to both on your new guns. I'm not gonna lie, I had never heard of TiSAS 1911, so I googled it. First search result is kind of scary. :lol:

Congrats to both on your new guns. I'm not gonna lie, I had never heard of TiSAS 1911, so I googled it. First search result is kind of scary. :lol:

Oddly enough, mine behaved itself very, very well. 200 ish rounds down range, no major problems. the reviews I had read before I bought it were people who wanted a 1911 they could drop and not feel bad about.

do you have any recommendations for a 9 mm or a 380? Learning on a .45 might take an eternity.

Oddly enough, mine behaved itself very, very well. 200 ish rounds down range, no major problems. the reviews I had read before I bought it were people who wanted a 1911 they could drop and not feel bad about.

do you have any recommendations for a 9 mm or a 380? Learning on a .45 might take an eternity.

Are you looking full size, compact, or sub compact?

I would recommend against .380 ACP. I know there are some relatively minor issues with changing the 1911 design to accept 9mm. I am not even sure any one makes a 1911 in .380 ACP. I would imagine the issues that crop up with 9mm would be even worse with the .380 ACP. Frankly, I would recommend against .380 ACP because the round is more expensive to buy and less available than 9mm.

However, I am not a 1911 person. I will pick one up eventually to have in my collection, but I would rather just buy a more modern design if I was looking for something in .45 ACP.

@High-Test Wait, are you looking for a 1911 chambered in 9mm, or are you looking for another pistol that incorporates some/all of 1911 features (size, capacity, grip angle, safeties, hammer, Action, etc.) but don't look like a 1911??

If you want something similar to a 1911 but in 9mm and even invented by the same guy, the Browning Hi Power 9mm is probably what you want. I have one from 1982. No single stack like some 1911s but staggered 13 round capacity from the factory hence the name Hi Power back in the day.

mms_picture-1.jpg

downsized_0327011413.jpg

The Hi-Power would be a good option. I really need to move it up on my list of pistols to buy. I always forget about them, but every time one pops up, I remember that I really want one.

Sorry if I'm side tracking here...

I figured out that there is no shellac on the K98, but looking at the photos there's a ton of it on my Mosin... I'm not sure if I want to remove it from that or not because I actually like the red finish to it. Unfortunately when I decided to completely disassemble the rifle, the rings that hold the stock to the hand-guard (whatever it's called) scratched it up, and so did the tape when I had paper towels around it to remove the cosmoline.... I'd like to have it stained so I don't need to worry about scratching it again, but I'm not sure if I'll get the same results...

And on the handloading deal, 8x57 is around $1.00 a pop, and I'm not sure how low I could bring that down for just some plinking ammo. If I could get it under $0.40, say 35 cents, that would be nice, but I just don't know what to expect. And I'm not one to go shooting 100+ rounds a month through these guns either. More like 20-25 every two months time, so I figure I'll be making 500 rounds everytime I need to use my neighbors press (he offered me as he was given it for free)...

SO yeah.... not sure what to do. Probably wont be able to respond until Thursday either guys as I have things to do..

@High-Test Wait, are you looking for a 1911 chambered in 9mm, or are you looking for another pistol that incorporates some/all of 1911 features (size, capacity, grip angle, safeties, hammer, Action, etc.) but don't look like a 1911??

1911 style, mostly. The Hi-power might be it. EDIT: Damn. way out of my price range.

Which would be better, a Ruger SR9E or a S&W SD9VE?

Last edited:
now I just need to figure out if I want to start handloading....
Do it. At first you might think its hardly worth it because it does safe you very little money. But don't compare your hand-loads with the cheap surplus, thats a big mistake, compare them to newly manufactured commercial ammo.

The surplus ammo doesn't leave you re loadable brass, the primers are corrosive so it leaves a nasty and dangerous mess in the barrel of your gun, surplus is old and mostly it simply sucks in the accuracy department.

Now your handloads, if done properly, are of much higher quality than any commercial ammo, they will be much more accurate, easier on the gun and you know first hand that none of the rounds are dangerous squibs or overcharged.
Now if you compare it to new ammo from Remington or other quality manufacturers you'll find out that your reloads are cheaper. And the bigger the caliber becomes the more money you'll safe.

I reload my 300WinMag with top components for about 1.50 per round. If I bought top notch ammo thats still not as good as my reloads I'd have to pay 2 times as much per round. :crazy:

Do it. At first you might think its hardly worth it because it does safe you very little money. But don't compare your hand-loads with the cheap surplus, thats a big mistake, compare them to newly manufactured commercial ammo.

The surplus ammo doesn't leave you re loadable brass, the primers are corrosive so it leaves a nasty and dangerous mess in the barrel of your gun, surplus is old and mostly it simply sucks in the accuracy department.

Now your handloads, if done properly, are of much higher quality than any commercial ammo, they will be much more accurate, easier on the gun and you know first hand that none of the rounds are dangerous squibs or overcharged.
Now if you compare it to new ammo from Remington or other quality manufacturers you'll find out that your reloads are cheaper. And the bigger the caliber becomes the more money you'll safe.

I reload my 300WinMag with top components for about 1.50 per round. If I bought top notch ammo thats still not as good as my reloads I'd have to pay 2 times as much per round. :crazy:
yeah, surplus isn't going into my K98 (even though it probably has already) but yeah, having the mosin really taught me a lot as far as corrosive stuff goes. Windex seems to solve it but I still clean everything when I shoot it, stock and all...

I'm not sure if you meant to put 1.50 in USD but yeah for $50+ usd a brick that's insane... The local shops around here carry 8x57 for a dollar a shot, which would be the third most expensive gun I have to own, so like I said originally, .35 cents would be excellent...

You could probably find a surplus Hi Power. Probably look a little worse for the wear, but should function fine.

Ok, thanks. I won't be making the purchase until August. Finances got a little ugly.

I've got four options now that I'm comfortable with:

Ruger SR9E 9mm
S&W SD9VE 9mm
Browning Hi-Power
RossiR97 revolver .357/.38sp

I'm not sure if you meant to put 1.50 in USD but yeah for $50+ usd a brick that's insane... The local shops around here carry 8x57 for a dollar a shot, which would be the third most expensive gun I have to own, so like I said originally, .35 cents would be excellent...
Nah, its Euros, but thats almost the same, 1 Euro is about 1.15 Dollars. But it does not matter, saving 100% ammo cost per round for the big guns pays off big time. Stuff I'd not reload is the smaller stuff unless I was going for match grade accuracy. Which is everything in the .223 area, it would not be worth it from a monetary perspective.

yeah, surplus isn't going into my K98 (even though it probably has already) but yeah, having the mosin really taught me a lot as far as corrosive stuff goes. Windex seems to solve it but I still clean everything when I shoot it, stock and all...

Yeah,I bet as much surplus guns have been destroyed by shooters unaware of the corrosive nature of the ammo as by the wars. A tiny amount of powder gas also goes past the the primer into the firing pin channel, often corroding away the bolt inside out without the owner even knowing it. No surplus for my guns, it makes me paranoid and thats never good.

No surplus for my guns, it makes me paranoid and thats never good.
For surplus at least windex does it all, and then use a bore snake to clean/dry it out. I spray a generous amount of it and hold it muzzle up, then muzzle down and basically dance with it (while looking like an idiot). Paper towels shoved in both ends to prevent dripping...

I sure don't. Considering how I'm no marksman with pisto...... anything, I wouldn't be qualified to give you any advice in that department anyway. Sorry. :D Hi-Power Blood Eagle brought up I'm sure is just awesome, but I'm pretty sure it's way above the price range you are looking at. I personally find the .45ACP to be very manageable, at least with my 1911(Kimber) & USP. Recoil & control doesn't feel any worse than the 9mm Glock 17(my first handgun). If anything, I much prefer how the 1911 & USP shoots in the .45 caliber.

EDIT: Damn. way out of my price range.
Oop, there it is. :lol:
I've got four options now that I'm comfortable with:

Ruger SR9E 9mm
S&W SD9VE 9mm
Browning Hi-Power
RossiR97 revolver .357/.38sp
If you could afford it, Hi-Power is pure class. I have zero experience with it, but people seemed to be impressed with Browning quality & if you like 1911's, you know you'll like the John Browning design in Hi-Power. It will become a piece you'll want to keep for sometime too, I'm sure. :)

It's not that my 1911 is unmanageable. Maybe I'll just invest in more bullets and more range time instead. Its only issue is the lousy sights. Ah well.

It's not that my 1911 is unmanageable. Maybe I'll just invest in more bullets and more range time instead. Its only issue is the lousy sights. Ah well.
Personally, I'm of the impression that balance(metal frame), grip size & angle helps with recoil & control when shooting 1911. My Glock in comparison had a grip which felt blocky & polymer frame felt little light in fighting recoil. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE both pistols. Just my impression.

What's wrong with the sights? My Kimber Custom Target II has the revolver style adjustable sights, and I adore it. :P

IMG_0425.jpg

Painted the front sight red.

Untitled-4.jpg

Last edited:
The rear sight on the Hi Power is really adjustable, it has elevation adjustment and windage L and R adjustability but they still suck. The front sight is brazed on. I always wanted some good night sights for it but the only ones for that particular model are very expensive like Heinie and also you would have to have a gunsmith do the work removing the front sight. Was too spendy for me so I left it alone. I bought the gun at an Estate sale for cheap. The people clearly didn't know what it was worth.

Here is the front sight picture.

0327011455.jpg

Also, it has a magazine safety to where it will not fire a chambered round without the magazine inserted so I took it off. The trigger pull was better after I removed it.

Back