Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,847 comments
300 PRC would be awesome, but unfortunately I haven't seen that ammo on any of the shelves at the local outdoor retailers. I've seen a lot of 300 PRC rifles on display for sale, but the ammo has essentially been non-existant. I have found boxes of the ammo online (which is a good thing). But I wish the ammo was locally available a little more often. For my use and ammo availability (locally) 300 Win Mag seems to be the better choice. We'll see what happens within the next few months after I finish taking care of a few things for my Evo 9. I really like the ballistics and cost per round for the 300 PRC especially when compared to 338 Lapua.
My suggestion: if you are planning on going big for regular 1000yds+ target shootings, start reloading your own ammunition. You will be instantly more accurate, ammunition scarcity will be a problem of the past and it will be 30-50% cheaper which is HUGE with the big calibers. 300 PRC cases will be readily available over the internet and heavy 308 bullets are incredibly abundant.
Trust me, everyone I know who got into reloading wish they had started much earlier and I'd say 95% of those who shoot long range make their own ammunition. And its very easy.

Then you can also very easily shoot calibers which are very exotic, like the 7mmPRC which is a .300PRC necked down to 7mm. And 7mm bullets have insanely high BC's, below the .338 calibers there is nothing better for long range than big 7mm's,

Last edited:
This came across my Youtube feed earlier today and I thought some of you guys might be interested in this video. This isn't something I would want to do, but I think it is pretty cool. Congrats to those guys for achieving such a feat.

I didn't really bother to look into their entire rifle and scope combo. But I believe the devices mounted in front of their scope are the Tacom Hq Charlie TARAC (MK8 I believe) and Delta TARAC. Here is a link to info about those devices.

Looking at how far the barrel is elevated over the scope's line of sight!!!! :boggled:
After I saw your post I went back and watched the video several more times. I understand that these items were needed in order to make this shot. But dang that is a tall scope mount and cheek rest.

Here is a video of the shot from the Youtube channel of the folks that were involved with making this shot.

Here is some info I found about their setup.

• The rifle, with customized parts and accessories from Canada, New Zealand, Arkansas, South Dakota and elsewhere, was assembled in Idaho by S&S Sporting in Driggs, Idaho.
    • Rifle is chambered in .416 Barrett
    • Chassis is a Cadex Dual Strike from Canada
    • Barrel is an LRI from Sturgis, SD – 40” with a 1:9 twist. These folks are amazing in every way.
    • The barrel was “structured” by tacomHQ in Arkansas.
    • Action is a McMillian TAC50.
    • Trigger is a Timney.
    • Muzzle brake is a Terminator T6 from New Zealand.
    • The 350 MOA mount was custom built by S&S Sporting in Idaho.
    • The custom high-rise cheek piece was built by S&S Sporting.
  • The scope is the recently-released Vortex Razor 6-35×56 FFP scope with EBR-7D MOA reticle. This scope is the latest and greatest from Vortex Optics. After testing many other top-tier brands, Scott decided that this Razor was our best option.
  • The scope was held in place with a double set of Leupold Mark IV rings.
  • Support optics included a Delta and a Charlie TARAC from tacomHQ.
  • The bipod was a LRA.
  • Scott designed and built the shooting platform.
  • Ballistic software used – Applied Ballistics.

Source: https://nomadrifleman.com/world-record-shot/

If you get a chance check out the article (link above) they wrote about making this shot.

Last edited:
That's less height over bore and more bore intercepting line of sight. Good Lord! That cheek rest is hilarious.

The shot is incredibly impressive, no doubt, but the rifle looks like an abomination.

Impressive for sure, but one has to realize this is a trick shot and has got absolutely nothing to do with practical shooting.

Not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
A lot. I was in a Special Forces military unit.
My favorite guns are the Beretta M9 and the Ruger 10/22. The 10/22 is quiet and smooth shooting, great for target shooting.
Along those lines, my favorite crossbow is the Barnett Black Cat. It's not the most accurate but it's veryight and easy to hunt with.

Bad luck with guns strikes again!

Just bought a Rossi Puma 1892 Lever Action rifle in .357 magnum. Back home when I cleaned the bore from the old oil and dust I found really bad pitting in the middle of the barrel. Not sure what happened, there are really bad machine marks and deep pits, and even after the (about) 200th stroke with the bronze brush red-brownish goo was still coming out of the barrel.

My educated guess is during the barrel rifling process they got steel shavings lodged between the bore and the mandrill, resulting in deep machine marks. After that poor storage conditions lead to rust in those pits.

Oh well, back to the store I guess. :indiff: The problem is, all those rifles are from the same batch, I bet they all have the same issue to various degrees. I could go with their stainless version, but I don't like the looks of replicas of old guns made in modern stainless.

Last edited:
This past weekend I went to the Arizona Firearms Festival that was hosted by True Shot. This was a 2-day event with day 1 being the vendor expo and day 2 was range day. I was not able to attend the vendor expo because I had something more important going on that day. Fortunately, I was able to attend the range day. Overwatch Precision, POF USA, Shadow Systems, HuxWrx, Mossberg, Century Arms, Canik, SAR USA, Rock Island Armory and Matador Arms were some of the few manufactures that were present at the range day.

One of the first guns I shot was a Matador Arms Montgo-9 upper equipped with a SilencerCo Osprey sound suppressor, mounted onto an AR9 lower. What I like about the Montgo-9 upper is its compatability AR9 and AR15 lower assemblies. But the AR15 lower will require a magazine adapter like that MagX that accepts 9mm pistol magazines. Also, last round hold open feature solely depends upon the lower assembly. I was also able to shoot another Montgo-9 upper and AR9 lower equipped with Matador Arms "The Regulator" muzzle brake. I thought it was pretty ingenious about this muzzle break was its tool-less adjustability. You can go from flash hider to muzzle brake in a few seconds or fine tune it to mitigate recoil. As I sitting here and type this post, I kind of wish I would have asked them about a .40 S&W or 10mm variant. Nonetheless, I like the fact that there are more 9mm pistol options. After shooting their firearms, I spoke with the Matado Arms reps a bit more about the Montgo-9 and The Regulator. I want to get a .300 Win Mag at some point in the future and the muzzle brake initially intended on using was the Precision Armament Hypertap. But given what I experienced with The Regulator and its price, I think I might purchase this instead of the Hypertap.

A few tables over, there was a rep from Cox Arms USA. Prior to speaking with this gentleman, I did not know anything about Cox Arms USA. What caught me by surprise about this company is that they are local. We already have several well known gun manufatures such as Ruger, Patriot Ordnance Factory USA (POF) , Smith Enterprise, McMillan are some of the few that come to mind. But I am always amazed to learn that there are more gun manufactures in this state. I got a chance to shoot the Guardian 556 rifle and it felt like a very well built, high quality, flat shooting AR15. After shooting the rifle, I talked about the rifle and its features with the Cox Arms USA rep. I did not look for more but it has a pretty cool Easter Egg inside upper assembly.After a brief conversation with the Cox Arms USA rep (whom I believe is the company owner), I walked over to the next shooting bay to shoot a few AR15s equipped with HUXWRX HX-QD 556 series supressors.

I have heard about flow-through designed suppressors but never had a chance to shoot any firearms equipped with these type of suppressors. HUXWRX had three AR15s avaible for festival attendees to shoot. The first two had 10" uppers (I believe) and one of these were equipped with a HX-QD 556K compact (I believe) suppressor. The third AR15 was equipped with their standard length HX-QD 556 suppressor and I was not sure if it was their stainless steel or titanium model. I do not own any sound suppressors, but I have experienced gas blowback from multiple suppressor equipped semi-auto firearms. With the HX-QD 556 equipped AR15s I did not experience any blowback. I would love to try one of their HX-QD 762 suppressors on my Savage 110 Tactical. After a brief discussion with the reps from HUXWRX I walked over to the next shooting bay, to shoot what POF had to offer.

I was hoping I would have the opportunity to shoot one of the gas piston .308 Win rifles, but they only brought their direct impingement .308 Win variant of their Revolution series AR15. I have always assumed that ARs did not like steel cased ammo. But much to my surprise, steel case ammo was all that was being fired through this rifle without any problems. I did not get to speak that much with the POF reps because the line for people to shoot POF rifles was getting fairly long.

From POF, I went to Mossberg and shot the Mossberg 940 JM Pro. I own the older 930 JM Pro and I have also used it in 3-gun competition. In my opinion the 930 JM Pro is already a good gun, but the 940 JM Pro is a newer better designed version of the older 930 JM Pro. The rumor I heard about the 940 JM Pro is that Mossberg took Lena Miculek's 930 JM Pro and essentially copied her modifications to to create the 940 JM Pro. The 940 JM Pro should really be considered the LM (Lena Miculek) Pro instead of JM (Jerry Miculek, pro shooter and Lena's father) Pro because Lena quad loads her shotgun by hand and Jerry uses a speed loader (see videos below). By no means is this a grudge I hold against Mossberg, but I am glad to see them sponsoring the Miculeks.

After shooting the Mossberg 940 JM Pro, I got in line to shoot what Rock Island Armory and Armscor had to offer. I was hoping I would get to shoot one of their 9mm or 10mm fullsize 1911. But instead I got to shoot the Armscor STK100, Rock Island Armory TM22 and VRF14. I liked the ergonomics of the STK100 and thought it would be a decent inexpensive first gun. The TM22 would be a great option for something looking for a more modern inexpensive semi-auto 22LR. As for the VRF14... If you have ever wanted a semi-auto shortER barrel shotgun, this one is for you. I don't really care much for 12 gauge firearms without a buttstock but it was nice to shoot it on someone else's dime.From Rock Island/Armscor I went over to SAR USA.

I know @Michael88 had bad luck with his CZ97B, but I still want one lol. While waiting in line to shoot what SAR USA brought to shoot, I saw a picture of the SAR K2-45 and immediately knew right then and there that is what I wanted to shoot. But when I got to the firing line, I was told that they did not have any 45 ACP ammo. Although I was slightly disappointed about this, they at least allowed me to hold the K2-45 so I can see how it felt in my hand. All wasn't lost because I got to shoot the SAR K12 Sport, SAR K12 Sport X and Sar CM9. I would love to use the K12 Sport in competition and compare it to my friend's CZ Shadow 2. When comparing the shooting experience of the K12 Sport and K12 Sport X, the slide cuts on the X model definitely make a difference in cyclic rate. I informed by the SAR rep that the only difference between the Sport and Sport X are the slide cuts, all the other components are the same.

This post has gotten pretty long so I am going to try to wrap this thing up... After SAR USA I went to Shadow Systems and shot a XR920. I like this gun. If I ever wanted to purchase a Glock G45 and modify it, I would purchase a XR920 instead. I later went back to Shadow Systems and shot the DR920 and I liked this one as well. At Century Arms I shot their AP5 (MP5 clone). As much as I liked the AP5, I am not willing to spend $1,999.99 MSRP. From Century Arms I went to Canik and shot their SFx Rival. Great entry level competition gun, awesome home defense handgun. Lastly, I went back to Mossberg one last time to shoot the 590A1 and went home after that.

Last edited:
I recently went to the range with some friends of mine and had an issue with my Vortex Optics Viper 6 MOA red dot sight. Prior to going to the range I checked the red dot for function and everything seemed fine. But when I got to the range and took my first shot, the red dot immediately shutoff and would not turn back on. Initially I thought the battery was dead but that was not the case. I changed the battery, remounted the red dot onto my Arex Rex Zero 1 TC, turned on the red dot, racked the slide and the red dot shutoff. I did this multiple times after checking for proper battery placement and the same thing kept happening.

I contact Vortex Optics (Vortex) in regards to shipping my red dot sight for warranty repair or replacement. After speaking with one of the Vortex reps, I received an email with a prepaid USPS shipping label. I dropped off the red dot at the post office on October 31st. November 7th I received an email from Vortex notifying me about them receiving my red dot and it would take approximately 1-3 weeks (not including shipping time) for them to repair and ship it back to me. November 10th I received another email from Vortex, letting me know that my optic was on its way back to me.

November 16th I received my optic from Vortex. I did not expect this when I opened my package but Vortex sent me a brand new Viper 6 MOA red dot sight. I can't say enough positive things about Vortex and their customer service. I never asked nor demanded that they send me a new optic. This was something they chose to do on their own. Now it is time to go to the range and sight-in the new red dot.

71EED7BB48304196820428851C71C17F.jpg

20221118_184536.jpg
20221118_184556.jpg

November 16th I received my optic from Vortex. I did not expect this when I opened my package but Vortex sent me a brand new Viper 6 MOA red dot sight. I can't say enough positive things about Vortex and their customer service. I never asked nor demanded that they send me a new optic. This was something they chose to do on their own. Now it is time to go to the range and sight-in the new red dot.
I immediately excepted that they would send you a new optic the second I read you sent your damaged red dot to them. Those optics are super hard to take apart and try to fix them, its just microscopic parts and screws. Its WAY cheaper for them to simply grab a new dot and send it to you than paying a professional worker dozens of hours repairing a single optic.

After how many rounds did your red dot suffer damage? Was it all 9mm? It is said that those red dots, no matter the quality, eventually fail because they are subject to such ridiculous G-forces - so they should be treated like semi-consumable parts just like, for example, tires.

But its great to see customer service working properly, you got a new optic that has its whole life ahead of it. :dopey:

As for my gun stuff, I just sold a gun I got bored of and now I'm in the market for a new one. And I have no idea what I 'need' this time. :lol: I'm thinking about a 1911, when 1911's work they are probably the most fun guns ever. IF they work.

I also discovered the CZ P01 at my local gun shop, pretty nifty pistol. A semi-compact steel-frame the size of a Glock 19. Double & single action hammer fired, heavy for its size, great ergonomics but heavy double-action trigger (Like a bad DA revolver trigger)
I think it would make a great ''fighting'' pistol. Looks cool too.
But its role is kind of covered already by other guns I have and the specimen at the gun store has a huge scratch in its finish and they ask for the full price. I'm not even remotely considering buying a new gun that is scratched already. :scared:

This gun:

Last edited:
More than I can count, anything from airguns to laser tag to gobs of the real deal. The most powerful one I've fired is a Remington 870 that can fire 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells. I've fired an M-16 several times.
My favorite guns to shoot are the Beretta 92 series and the Ruger GP-100. It's legal for just about anyone to carry those here, so I do. The Beretta feels like an extension of the hand. The Ruger, while quite powerful in .357 Magnum, generates a very firm but gentle recoil and is pinpoint accurate.
Last but not least: I'm also good with a crossbow. My favorite there is the Barnett Black Cat due to it's light weight. Second would be a PSE Viper SS due to the skill needed to shoot it accurately. TenPoint makes fantastic crossbows, too, but they're heavier than the Black Cat.

@Michael88 sorry for the late response. I don't recall how many rounds I've fired with that optic. But it has been on my Rex Zero 1 TC since the day I brought it home from my FFL.

Just for the heck of it, have you considered getting the Glock G40 Gen 4 MOS?

More than I can count, anything from airguns to laser tag to gobs of the real deal. The most powerful one I've fired is a Remington 870 that can fire 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells. I've fired an M-16 several times.
My favorite guns to shoot are the Beretta 92 series and the Ruger GP-100. It's legal for just about anyone to carry those here, so I do. The Beretta feels like an extension of the hand. The Ruger, while quite powerful in .357 Magnum, generates a very firm but gentle recoil and is pinpoint accurate.
Last but not least: I'm also good with a crossbow. My favorite there is the Barnett Black Cat due to it's light weight. Second would be a PSE Viper SS due to the skill needed to shoot it accurately. TenPoint makes fantastic crossbows, too, but they're heavier than the Black Cat.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of velocities are you seeing with the crossbow? Speaking of the Beretta 92 series, have you tried any of the Beretta's 92X series guns? What do you think about the M9A4?

I immediately excepted that they would send you a new optic the second I read you sent your damaged red dot to them. Those optics are super hard to take apart and try to fix them, its just microscopic parts and screws. Its WAY cheaper for them to simply grab a new dot and send it to you than paying a professional worker dozens of hours repairing a single optic.

After how many rounds did your red dot suffer damage? Was it all 9mm? It is said that those red dots, no matter the quality, eventually fail because they are subject to such ridiculous G-forces - so they should be treated like semi-consumable parts just like, for example, tires.

But its great to see customer service working properly, you got a new optic that has its whole life ahead of it. :dopey:

As for my gun stuff, I just sold a gun I got bored of and now I'm in the market for a new one. And I have no idea what I 'need' this time. :lol: I'm thinking about a 1911, when 1911's work they are probably the most fun guns ever. IF they work.

I also discovered the CZ P01 at my local gun shop, pretty nifty pistol. A semi-compact steel-frame the size of a Glock 19. Double & single action hammer fired, heavy for its size, great ergonomics but heavy double-action trigger (Like a bad DA revolver trigger)
I think it would make a great ''fighting'' pistol. Looks cool too.
But its role is kind of covered already by other guns I have and the specimen at the gun store has a huge scratch in its finish and they ask for the full price. I'm not even remotely considering buying a new gun that is scratched already. :scared:

This gun:

P01 with Cajun Gun Works internals is a dream. I have one in High Polish finish with brass grips and it's my favorite pistol (I bought it off a hilarious guy with a budding youtube channel before they cracked down on gun content and he deleted his channel. Side note, I think he got divorced or something and literally sold all of his belongings) The only way it could be better is if it was set up for left-handed use. :)

I actually have to start shooting again because my bulk ammo that I kept in my closet in its cardboard packaging sopped up a bunch of water from a leak in my bathroom. I never noticed the water soaking through the carpet as it traveled underneath the wall because it was all literally taken up by the cardboard. Well, 2 days ago the mold spores in the cardboard from a decade of warehousing decided to bloom. 😅 What a disaster. I now have 2000 rounds of 9mm in an ammo can that smells like blue cheese. My Wolf Gold 223 also got a little damp, but not nearly as bad as the 9mm. The Wolf Polyformance 223 got wet, too, but didn't mold out or tarnish at all, save for a few rust specks where the polymer coating was nicked.

Never ever buy steel ammo unless it's poly coated. I can only imagine what kind of rusty disaster I avoided here

I manufactured a mainspring housing spring retention pin from a carpenters nails and fitted the right side grip panel of a 1911 for the ambidextrous safety.

Now I'm totally like

1319a23554200ec5fe2f6a25a7bf8cf0.jpg

What a disaster. I now have 2000 rounds of 9mm in an ammo can that smells like blue cheese. My Wolf Gold 223 also got a little damp, but not nearly as bad as the 9mm. The Wolf Polyformance 223 got wet, too, but didn't mold out or tarnish at all, save for a few rust specks where the polymer coating was nicked.

Never ever buy steel ammo unless it's poly coated. I can only imagine what kind of rusty disaster I avoided here
Well it certainly is a good excuse to lob a couple bullets downrange! When I buy ammo I immediately get the rounds out of the cardboard box and put them in Tupperware (plastic food boxes) and put a little dehumidifier pack in it. Super cheap and foolproof way to store ammo for a long time.-

Well it certainly is a good excuse to lob a couple bullets downrange! When I buy ammo I immediately get the rounds out of the cardboard box and put them in Tupperware (plastic food boxes) and put a little dehumidifier pack in it. Super cheap and foolproof way to store ammo for a long time.-
Yeah, I have most of it like that, but this was the extra. Just bought a ton of polypropylene ammo cans and crates to avoid this in the future.

Merry Christmas guys! I've wanted to give one of these a try ever since they were brought to the US market. I went to the range a few days ago with a friend and we were able to rent a Springfield Armory Hellion bullpup aka HS Produkt VHS-2. I like how truly ambidextrous this firearm. I never got a chance to shoot a Beretta ARX 100, but ambidexterity of the Hellion/VHS-2 reminds me of it. I also liked the ergonomics as well as the adjustable buttstock and cheek riser. The trigger was alright, but my expectations are low when it comes to bullpups. If I had to nitpick, the only dislike I had about Hellion/VHS-2 is the recoil impulse. It is manageable, but not what I expected out of a .223/5.56 rifle that weighs 8 lbs. Overall I enjoyed shooting this rifle and would like to see how this rifle stacks up against the IWI X95. I hope all is well with everyone. Happy Holidays Fellas!

20221222_132943.jpg

Merry Christmas guys! I've wanted to give one of these a try ever since they were brought to the US market. I went to the range a few days ago with a friend and we were able to rent a Springfield Armory Hellion bullpup aka HS Produkt VHS-2. I like how truly ambidextrous this firearm. I never got a chance to shoot a Beretta ARX 100, but ambidexterity of the Hellion/VHS-2 reminds me of it. I also liked the ergonomics as well as the adjustable buttstock and cheek riser. The trigger was alright, but my expectations are low when it comes to bullpups. If I had to nitpick, the only dislike I had about Hellion/VHS-2 is the recoil impulse. It is manageable, but not what I expected out of a .223/5.56 rifle that weighs 8 lbs. Overall I enjoyed shooting this rifle and would like to see how this rifle stacks up against the IWI X95. I hope all is well with everyone. Happy Holidays Fellas!

View attachment 1218418
Shot one of these at my last outing and it is one of the coolest modern rifles I've ever handled. Actually a really good bullpup all things considered!

Shot one of these at my last outing and it is one of the coolest modern rifles I've ever handled. Actually a really good bullpup all things considered!
I agree, whenever I decide to purchase a bullpup it'll be either this or the IWI X95.

Last edited:
Just calculated how much money I save with reloading the smallest cartridge I own - 9mm 124 Ball.

From 0.5 kilos of N340 powder, which costs € 79, I get 1666 cartridges assuming I load 5 grains / cartridge which is a proper stout 9mm NATO load.

1000 small pistol primers run for € 75 right now.

1000 projectiles 124 grain FMJ cost € 96

That's 21 cents per cartridge.

In the store the cheapest 9mm costs € 280 / 1000 pcs, that measn 28 cents per cartruidge.

That means I save 7 cents per cartridge or 70 bucks / 1000pcs.- I save 25% reloading the cheapest centerfire cartridge.

If I step up from the 9mm the amount of money I save goes up quite dramatically though. When I reload .45 ACP one round costs me 27 cents. That's 270 bucks for 1000 rounds. Now in the store I pay whooping € 634 / 1000. That's 134%!

@Xavier2342

I remember watching Garand Thumb and he said it jams a whole lot - don't ask me which video though! :scared:

Last edited:
I might have to get a Canik Mete MC9. Love that it's basically like a micro compact fully ambi PPQ. Wish Archon would come out with a micro compact gun with their lockup system and bore axis.

I might have to get a Canik Mete MC9. Love that it's basically like a micro compact fully ambi PPQ. Wish Archon would come out with a micro compact gun with their lockup system and bore axis.
Have you tried the Hellcat? I have some experience with it and I absolutely love it, the best micro compact I have ever shot.

I like my Glock 48 quite a bit. I have some buyer's remorse though because had I waited, then I could have bought a Shadow Systems CR920 instead. I just need to send my slide off to be milled.

I like my Glock 48 quite a bit. I have some buyer's remorse though because had I waited, then I could have bought a Shadow Systems CR920 instead. I just need to send my slide off to be milled.
It might be a more expensive, but how much would a G48 MOS slide cost?

Back