Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
It might be a more expensive, but how much would a G48 MOS slide cost?
Quick Google search looks like it probably would be about the same for getting the slide cut or buying a slide.
I like my Glock 48 quite a bit. I have some buyer's remorse though because had I waited, then I could have bought a Shadow Systems CR920 instead. I just need to send my slide off to be milled.
Speaking of Shadow Systems, they released their compensator at SHOT show this year. And guess who bought one? This guy.

PXL_20230127_131315527 - Copy.jpg
PXL_20230127_131342246 - Copy.jpg
PXL_20230127_131338693 - Copy.jpg

So just wondering, does anyone here have a semi automatic shotgun? I went to the store to buy some powder and while waiting I inspected their inventory. I spotted some semi automatic shotguns so I checked them out. Boy are they cool. And useless. But mainly cool.

They had a Winchester SX4 tactical in tan and also a Benelli M4 with collapsible stock, they pointed and handled surprisingly well and looked really cool and I really got the dreaded ''MUST HAVE'' feel. Though my rational thinking took over and told me that I have no need for them, I don't even hunt. I also know only one range that allows shotguns which is also quite a distance away - and it allows you to shoot it only if you are using slugs.

Does anyone here have one? What do you do with it? Do you regret having bought one?

A semi shotgun is the one thing I have never owned nor even shot in my entire life. I shot pretty much everything that goes boom with the exception of this type of firearm.

Last edited:
Only thing I would get one for is 3-gun. Might be useful for ducks, too, but you might as well get a nice break action because those are the only shotguns allowed at most of the trap/skeet places where you'd actually be able to practice for birding.

So just wondering, does anyone here have a semi automatic shotgun? I went to the store to buy some powder and while waiting I inspected their inventory. I spotted some semi automatic shotguns so I checked them out. Boy are they cool. And useless. But mainly cool.

They had a Winchester SX4 tactical in tan and also a Benelli M4 with collapsible stock, they pointed and handled surprisingly well and looked really cool and I really got the dreaded ''MUST HAVE'' feel. Though my rational thinking took over and told me that I have no need for them, I don't even hunt. I also know only one range that allows shotguns which is also quite a distance away - and it allows you to shoot it only if you are using slugs.

Does anyone here have one? What do you do with it? Do you regret having bought one?

A semi shotgun is the one thing I have never owned nor even shot in my entire life. I shot pretty much everything that goes boom with the exception of this type of firearm.
I do not, but I am seriously considering selling my 590A1 to put money towards a Beretta 1301 or A300 Ultima Patrol.

Just saw your post... I have a Mossberg 930 JM Pro I specifically purchased for 3-gun competition. There are quite a few videos on Youtube of people discussing the malfunctions they've had with their 930 JM Pro. But I never ran into any of these issues. Overall it is a very fun shotgun. Some of the most fun I've ever had in 3-gun matches, were the stages that incorporated shotguns. One thing I would like to change about this shotgun is opening the loading port to help out with quad-loading. Another change I would like to make is installing a higher capacity magazine tube, 8+1 is nice but 13+1 is better.

I wouldn't necessarily consider semiautomatic shotguns useless, like any other firearm is all depends upon your intended purpose. 18" barrel would be awesome for home defense and having fun at the range. 24" barrel would be ideal for hunting and clay shooting. One slight downside to semiautomatic shotguns (at least the 930 JM Pro) is requiring ammo that produces at least 1,300 FPS of muzzle velocity to properly cycle. Whereas, muzzle velocity has not affect on how a pump-action shotgun functions.

Luckily for you, I don't recall Saiga 12 or VEPR 12 shotguns being banned from importation in your country. Another good semiautomatic shotgun to consider is the Stoeger M3K series. A lot of folks I competed against in the past used Stoeger S2K series shotguns and did very well with them.

Shot this with a shotgun today, using iron sights and rested on a bag 12 shots mixed brand full power 12 3/4 slugs at 50 meters (55yds). Also shot it standing with no support and I could still hold the black at the same distance.-
It never ceases to amaze me how shotguns can have rifle like accuracy with proper ammunition and proper iron sights. And it was a LOT of fun to shoot.

flintenlaufg.jpg

Last edited:
Shot this with a shotgun today, using iron sights and rested on a bag 12 shots mixed brand full power 12 3/4 slugs at 50 meters (55yds). Also shot it standing with no support and I could still hold the black at the same distance.-
It never ceases to amaze me how shotguns can have rifle like accuracy with proper ammunition and proper iron sights. And it was a LOT of fun to shoot.

View attachment 1248162
That's pretty cool, was this with your 590A1? Also, were you using a shotgun choke?

Hi guys, it's been awhile. I got away from blogging, forums.... Was on Twitter, but lately mostly just on Facebook. Anywho, I thought @Xavier2342 had Benelli M4, but it must've been Mossberg I was thinking of. I recalled you buying a semi auto shotgun & adding extended magazine tube, but that was some time ago. I actually ordered Beretta A300 from Botach, but supposedly in-stock gun didn't ship for weeks, I asked them to cancel the order. 🤷‍♂️

I've been focusing mostly on handguns & 5.56 as of late. Yawn, I know. Here are guns I've been shooting lately:

My concealed carry Glock 19 w/RMR & Streamlight.

IMG_3431.JPG

I did this to my main rifle:

#.jpg
0000000.JPG

It's all those survivalists & ex-special forces youtubers man.... I caught the bug. Some were shocked I did it to Daniel Defense upper & ACOG, but it's the rifle I know I'm never gonna sell, so... :lol:

Put folder on this AR pistol. Was intrigued by backpack gun concept... Still barely fits inside 5.11 Rush 24 backpack

0.JPG

Also got PDP Compact 5", but had to rob the RMR off of it for my concealed carry Glock. Working(slowly) on M16 looking AR(Aero Precision). My latest treasure is my second 1911(still have the old Kimber):

00.JPG

I hope you guys are all doing well & getting to shoot often!

I hope you guys are all doing well & getting to shoot often!
You're alive! :dopey: I like the bug you've caught because I got the same bug recently and infected others with it as well. I've been focusing a lot on dynamic shooting with my AR's and pistols and tricking them out. Also congrats on your decision to spray paint the AR, looks so much better than black and its going to blend in much better now.
Judging by the background you picked the right colors - most people like to go overboard with tan/coyote because its the cool color but that only makes sense in the desert really.

Also I can recommend a muzzle brake on your pistol AR - I've got a 10'' AR myself and when I put on the muzzle brake it absolutely nullified the recoil, like it really does not have any recoil whatsoever anymore. According to my experiences muzzle brakes are super effective on short barrels, on longer barrels not so much.
I'm using the ultra compact strike industries warhog brake, its even shorter than a flash suppressor and its super inexpensive.

Last edited:
I have been doing more buying than shooting. Work and life has kept me too busy and tired to find the energy to do much of anything that is not house chores.

You're alive! :dopey: I like the bug you've caught because I got the same bug recently and infected others with it as well. I've been focusing a lot on dynamic shooting with my AR's and pistols and tricking them out.
I'm glad to hear that you are still able to do all that in Austria. I'm sure it's no different over there, but it's non-stop attempt by gun control activists over here to ban this, ban that. I'm amazed we are still allowed 30rd magazines in Oregon. Other west coast state's weren't so lucky & it can still change real fast here. 😭
Also congrats on your decision to spray paint the AR, looks so much better than black and its going to blend in much better now.
I have guns for recreation, but that one I consider a weapon. I'm adding a bipod to it next & would like to go for the suppressor eventually. Undecided on the RMR/red dot location(currently on canted mount).
Judging by the background you picked the right colors - most people like to go overboard with tan/coyote because its the cool color but that only makes sense in the desert really.
Tan looks so good. 🤤 I sampled bunch of pictures of the woods in my area, from different seasons & ended up going with those colors. I'm thinking about adding dark green to it...
Also I can recommend a muzzle brake on your pistol AR - I've got a 10'' AR myself and when I put on the muzzle brake it absolutely nullified the recoil, like it really does not have any recoil whatsoever anymore. According to my experiences muzzle brakes are super effective on short barrels, on longer barrels not so much.
I'm using the ultra compact strike industries warhog brake, its even shorter than a flash suppressor and its super inexpensive.
Another thing youtube has influenced me on is flash suppression? I actually had Strike Industries' J Comp on my main AR, but switched to one of the top rated flash hiders after seeing former special forces guys on youtube preaching how important that was. In fact, that's why I want the suppressor now, because they supposedly hides flashes very effectively.

I don't know how good the current muzzle device on the AR pistol is, but because I'm trying to keep my "backpack" gun short, I've decided to stay with the factory Daniel Defense flash hider on it for now. This project might change though, because Aero Precision had a .300 Blackout upper on sale for $250 & I bought it. I have no optics for it, I haven't even shot it yet, but it's barely over 8" I believe? While it's no Mark 18 its compactness might make it more ideal backpack gun? I'll probably know once I actually get to shoot few rounds through it. :dopey:
I have been doing more buying than shooting. Work and life has kept me too busy and tired to find the energy to do much of anything that is not house chores.
I've been neglecting some.... things. :P After Covid work got crazy & was wanting to quit, did give 2 weeks notice, but got reeled back in.... I'm getting back to pretty frustrated state again. I've been going to the woods just to explore or shoot just about every weekend. I NEED IT. It keeps me sane. 🤷‍♂️😭

I've been neglecting some.... things. :P After Covid work got crazy & was wanting to quit, did give 2 weeks notice, but got reeled back in.... I'm getting back to pretty frustrated state again.

I've been in a similar situation, I've been doing nothing but work, eat sleep, train at the range and lift weights for a while now. Social life is non existent. :lol:

As for the muzzle device - I get you, you have to decide what's more important in your scenarios, faster follow up shots or more flash suppression.
I decided for the former since I own firearms mainly for self defense - if I was pulled into a lengthy war I would definitely choose flash suppression over a brake. Though ammunition makes a HUGE difference, I have Lithuanian GGG 55 grain ball that makes zero flash even out of my 10.5'' yet for example Sellier & Bellot 55 grain FMJ creates a ball of white muzzle flash out of my freaking 16.5'' WITH flash hider. My 69 grain BTHP reloads with N135 also make very little flash.
In the end this choice boils down to scenarios and philosophy.

The 8'' 300 blackout sounds interesting, I've always liked the idea of a super short backpack AR, maybe with the hideously expensive folding stock adapter for total compactness. What always made me reconsider was ammunition cost and availability of 300BLK. I dont know if I could train much with a gun chambered in that round, but I bet its much better in the US.
Maybe running a 8'' .223 with 77 grain OTM would work as well

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that you are still able to do all that in Austria. I'm sure it's no different over there, but it's non-stop attempt by gun control activists over here to ban this, ban that. I'm amazed we are still allowed 30rd magazines in Oregon. Other west coast state's weren't so lucky & it can still change real fast here. 😭
As a future Oregon resident, I keep up on proposed and approved legislation. Some are downright shocking. But I've spent the past few vacations in Oregon and last time I was there decided to buy ammunition so I didn't have to go through California regulations. I was hoping they didn't give me any trouble for my California ID but the truth of the matter is they didn't even ask for it. In and out with no ID. Oregon is still pretty laxed by west coast standards and even Sheriff's saying that they won't enforce the laws is right up my alley. When the ban comes on 30 round mags, it basically means that you can't buy them anymore but if you already had them, you can keep them. So stock up now like I did when it was implemented in California and eventually it'll probably get overturned anyway, also like California.

Good to see you back. I saw your blog went pretty silent after you got the Ranger. Glad you are well.

Last edited:
I've been in a similar situation, I've been doing nothing but work, eat sleep, train at the range and lift weights for a while now. Social life is non existent. :lol:
It's a major challenge. Especially for me, I manage time very poorly. 😭
As for the muzzle device - I get you, you have to decide what's more important in your scenarios, faster follow up shots or more flash suppression.
I decided for the former since I own firearms mainly for self defense - if I was pulled into a lengthy war I would definitely choose flash suppression over a brake. Though ammunition makes a HUGE difference, I have Lithuanian GGG 55 grain ball that makes zero flash even out of my 10.5'' yet for example Sellier & Bellot 55 grain FMJ creates a ball of white muzzle flash out of my freaking 16.5'' WITH flash hider. My 69 grain BTHP reloads with N135 also make very little flash.
In the end this choice boils down to scenarios and philosophy.
I didn't even think about different types of ammo. That makes total sense. Also makes sense about follow-up shots. On the field flash suppression sounds like a must. In self defense, follow-up shots could be the difference where flash is a non-factor.
The 8'' 300 blackout sounds interesting, I've always liked the idea of a super short backpack AR, maybe with the hideously expensive folding stock adapter for total compactness. What always made me reconsider was ammunition cost and availability of 300BLK. I dont know if I could train much with a gun chambered in that round, but I bet its much better in the US.
Maybe running a 8'' .223 with 77 grain OTM would work as well
I hadn't shopped for blackout ammo in a long time, so I'm not sure what the market price is these days, but one (big) box I bought on sale was $99.99 for 200rds(range ammo by "ammo inc").

Folder is by Law Tactical & it was expensive($239, shipped). Due to the nature of this part I didn't want to take any chances. Having said that, I passed out twice while trying to order this thing online because I took sleeping pills. I was mildly surprised correct product was shipped to the correct address. 😩

Today:
IMG_4969.JPG

I also forgot I finally own a revolver:

IMG_4988.JPG

Been wanting stainless S&W revolver for while.... Really wanted Python, but I think it was like $1,500 at the time? This one's Model 69 with a 2.75" barrel & just under $890 after shipping & transfer fee. I suck at shooting this thing, but it's also the only gun I own that I truly respect. :nervous::lol:
As a future Oregon resident, I keep up on proposed and approved legislation. Some are downright shocking.
Yeah, people were buying up "standard capacity" magazines online & locally when 114 was passed year ago? Guns, too. Lines outside gun stores last fall. The measure would've also mandated firearms training & other additional checks on top of the background checks they already have? They also wanted to have public registry of gun owners online(which would've helped no one, except criminals).

Just yesterday came the news that measure was killed in court, but the state can still appeal in Oregon Supreme Court from what I hear. 🤷‍♂️
But I've spent the past few vacations in Oregon and last time I was there decided to buy ammunition so I didn't have to go through California regulations. I was hoping they didn't give me any trouble for my California ID but the truth of the matter is they didn't even ask for it. In and out with no ID. Oregon is still pretty laxed by west coast standards and even Sheriff's saying that they won't enforce the laws is right up my alley.
Some stores check IDs, but even in those stores, I find most employees don't bother after while. Oregon Sheriffs are good, but I think I've heard that Multnomah County Sheriffs are pro gun control or something like that? It doesn't matter. Multnomah is pretty much Portland & Portland's been dying for years now.
When the ban comes on 30 round mags, it basically means that you can't buy them anymore but if you already had them, you can keep them. So stock up now like I did when it was implemented in California and eventually it'll probably get overturned anyway, also like California.
I wish we had Federal protection on this stuff. Such a violation of rights time after time & waste of government resources.
Good to see you back. I saw your blog went pretty silent after you got the Ranger. Glad you are well.
I don't know if I'm back lol, but I do have to stop by from time to time. You & other regulars are awesome people in here. 👍

Folder is by Law Tactical & it was expensive($239, shipped). Due to the nature of this part I didn't want to take any chances. Having said that, I passed out twice while trying to order this thing online because I took sleeping pills. I was mildly surprised correct product was shipped to the correct address. 😩

I also forgot I finally own a revolver:

Been wanting stainless S&W revolver for while.... Really wanted Python, but I think it was like $1,500 at the time? This one's Model 69 with a 2.75" barrel & just under $890 after shipping & transfer fee. I suck at shooting this thing, but it's also the only gun I own that I truly respect. :nervous::lol:
Ah I always wanted a Colt Python but then when I did a lot of research about this revolver I discovered that a not insignificant amount of people had issues with the forcing cone breaking after only 1000-2000 shots. Apparently the forcing cone and the frame underneath it are too thin and thats a design flaw with this gun. Its suggested that you don't shot hot .357 through it all the time.
That's when I lost interested in this particular revolver, especially considering the excellent S&W does not have this flaw.

Also take care with those sleeping pills! :scared: I remember when I had lots of insomnia I took sleeping pills once and boy that was so weird. Fell asleep like getting hit over the head, woke up two hours later and I was confused and felt like **** for the rest of the night.
Never again! Now doing a ton of sport 3 hours before going to sleep does the trick for me.

Last edited:
Ah I always wanted a Colt Python but then when I did a lot of research about this revolver I discovered that a not insignificant amount of people had issues with the forcing cone breaking after only 1000-2000 shots. Apparently the forcing cone and the frame underneath it are too thin and thats a design flaw with this gun. Its suggested that you don't shot hot .357 through it all the time.
That's when I lost interested in this particular revolver, especially considering the excellent S&W does not have this flaw.
Aww snap! That sucks, not that I can afford it anyway. Good to know though. Mine did have an issue once, which was very disappointing, because I felt like S&W was one of the top manufacturers of revolvers. Mine became hard to rotate the cylinder in one spot. It was hard to pull the hammer back also. I don't know anything about revolvers so I sprayed some Rem Oil into it & started playing around with it rotating the cylinder. Problem just went away & it's been shooting fine since. 🤷‍♂️

I used to hear how revolvers are reliable, but after my experience, I don't really believe it's anymore reliable than a reliable semi-autos.
Also take care with those sleeping pills! :scared: I remember when I had lots of insomnia I took sleeping pills once and boy that was so weird. Fell asleep like getting hit over the head, woke up two hours later and I was confused and felt like **** for the rest of the night.
Never again! Now doing a ton of sport 3 hours before going to sleep does the trick for me.
I handle them okay, but I should not have been online shopping when it was about to kick in. My bad on that one. 😩😂

Just ordered a green tritium illuminated front sight for one of my pistols because it needed a new front sight anyway since I dinged it up badly in an accident (fell out of the box and dropped on a tiled floor). Anybody here using tritium sights? How do you like them?

Also I wonder if my Geiger counter is sensitive enough to detect the radiation and if beta radiation makes it through the vial.

Last edited:
Just ordered a green tritium illuminated front sight for one of my pistols because it needed a new front sight anyway since I dinged it up badly in an accident (fell out of the box and dropped on a tiled floor). Anybody here using tritium sights? How do you like them?
My P226 Extreme has it, but it was meh-ish to me? I think they must've been old(bought the gun used from a friend). I actually bought a set of tritium sights, but because I needed suppressor height sights for my carry G19 anyway(to cowitness w/RMR) & LOVE THAT.
Also I wonder if my Geiger counter is sensitive enough to detect the radiation and if beta radiation makes it through the vial.
🤔😂

Well I’ve just started with getting into guns on my own. I have always been around them but now have the money to build and buy what I want to now.

He is my first AR, standard DD M4A1 with the new RIS III handguard. Currently working on getting a new foregrip as well as waiting on my magnifier to show up.

IMG_0671.jpeg

I’ve got an upper being built around a 10.3” 300 BLK Daniel Defense barrel. Leaning towards making with a 9.5” RIS III handguard to make it my own interpretation of a MK18

Well I’ve just started with getting into guns on my own. I have always been around them but now have the money to build and buy what I want to now.

He is my first AR, standard DD M4A1 with the new RIS III handguard. Currently working on getting a new foregrip as well as waiting on my magnifier to show up.

I’ve got an upper being built around a 10.3” 300 BLK Daniel Defense barrel. Leaning towards making with a 9.5” RIS III handguard to make it my own interpretation of a MK18
Noice! Is it a 16.5?

What pistol are you planning on getting?

Noice! Is it a 16.5?

What pistol are you planning on getting?

It is a 14.5 Pin and Weld so no ATF there. Going to be sending in paperwork to SBR this particular lower to build a .300 BLK 10.3” for HD use.

I’ve already got my hands on a barrel that I bought for a really good deal from Daniel Defense that is Cold Hammer Forged Chrome lined so I won’t have to really ever worry about shooting it out.

Last edited:
It is a 14.5 Pin and Weld so no ATF there. Going to be sending in paperwork to SBR this particular lower to build a .300 BLK 10.3” for HD use.

I’ve already got my hands on a barrel that I bought for a really good deal from Daniel Defense that is Cold Hammer Forged Chrome lined so I won’t have to really ever worry about shooting it out.
I was actually thinking about handguns, not the 300BLK pistol build lol. I always forget that you guys in the US use pistol builds and braces to circumvent those annoying SBR laws.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking about handguns, not the 300BLK pistol build lol. I always forget that you guys in the US use pistol builds and braces to circumvent those annoying SBR laws.

My apologies for the misunderstanding and yes there are some very dumb laws regarding guns imho, but it is what it is currently.

As far as handguns the wife and I are looking at a Sig P365 X-Macro for her and a P320 RXP XCompact for myself.

Interesting, but $2,500. 😬 I'm glad I'm a AR fan. lol

I have nothing to share on my handgun-front. Same guns, no new upgrades. On my main AR however, I added bit more paint + Magpul bipod:

000000000.JPG

In the picture is JP Enterprises 3-prong flash hider, which is supposed to be very effective at suppressing muzzle flash, but it's come off tonight. Also gone is the black MOE+ grip(rubberized). In the place of JP 3-prong I've installed Surefire 3-prong flash hider/suppressor adapter. New replacement grip is same MOE+, but in green(pics to come). There was a issue with Surefire 3-prong. It requires a special wrench adapter, but it wasn't included with the flash hider! :dunce: After trying every wrench I had, at work, at tool shop & discovering none of them fit, thankfully one of the local gun shops had this special Surefire wrench:

IMG_8122.JPG

Socket wrench goes into the square, three point pattern to the 3-prong flash hider. I asked if this gun shop carried it, they didn't, but knew they had extras somewhere so they looked all over for it & just gave it to me for nothing! 🙏 I buy random AR parts from here, and I'll be doing more business with them for sure. 👍 This shop didn't think Surefire included this wrench with the flash hiders(although instruction says it comes with 3-prongs), just comps. Either way it's a big fail by Surefire in my book. So glad my local store helped me out.

Anywho. There's a reason why I'm replacing the JP Enterprise with the Surefire. Suppressor. The latest story is how ATF's new system is moving suppressor paperwork at a much faster pace. I already have friends & coworkers who have suppressors & I've been running way behind in this department. However, when I was told that people been getting ATF forms go thru in just week or two for suppressors I ordered a Surefire RC2 suppressor(this used to take months to a year).

Because of how fast ATF is moving on this now I was told suppressors are sold out in lot of places. I had to order my RC2 from shop I've never heard of online so I believe it. I wanted tan to match my painted rifle, also the pistol which has lot of tan.

I had it shipped to this other local gun shop in town, because I know they had the silencer shop kiosk & I've shopped there for years. It was $25 fee for the kiosk to fill out the form, and for fingerprinting + photo for the ATF, another $205 for the ATF tax stamp. That was Tuesday. If everything goes smoothly I might have the suppressor by middle of next week! :embarrassed:

I had it shipped to this other local gun shop in town, because I know they had the silencer shop kiosk & I've shopped there for years. It was $25 fee for the kiosk to fill out the form, and for fingerprinting + photo for the ATF, another $205 for the ATF tax stamp. That was Tuesday. If everything goes smoothly I might have the suppressor by middle of next week! :embarrassed:
Make sure to give us a thorough report once you tested your suppressor - I have to admit suppressors is the one thing I have no experience with in the firearms world. They are very hard to get here where I live and I've never considered them for any of my SHTF rifles. :scared:

I wonder what the point of impact change is gonna be with the suppressor on and off.

Last edited:
Back