Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,847 comments
Hopefully this thread doesn't break any board rules. There are a few airsoft and paintball topics here but what about the real thing? What real guns have you guys fired? Keep it legal. Don't tell stories of how you went to jail because a cop saw you playing with a real gun in your sub division. Rather, tell some stories of when you went to the range or shot some trap, or went hunting, etc...

anyways. I just got done shooting a 380 pistol and a 12 gauge pump(my shoulder's killin me!!) Me, my dad, and my uncle were shooting at folgers cans for target practice. Put a nice big hole in the middle. Lots of fun. I recorded some footage so maybe I'll post it up later.

I have fired a Type 8 rifle on 2 seperate MOD indoor ranges, L98A1 Cadet and an SA80 on outdoor ranges and on self proficiency tests, L86A1 ( a b***h of a gun when it comes to recoil), a shotgun (on an outdoor range), and a rather suspicious gun that the MOD refer to simply as the "clay pidgeon weapon" (this gun seems to be more painful for the person who pulls the trigger than the actual target, it has a rather odd form of recoil in which when in the prone position rather than powering back into your shoulder the butt actually swings up and delivers a rather painful blow to the chin. It is reserved for those who have achieved "firsts" in both safety and rangeing of all of the major military firearms. I have seen hundreds of cadets and even more veteren soldiers drop this weapon out of shock as soon as soon as they fire their first ever round. people are encouraged to aim about a foot below the clay pidgeon they are planning to shoot at.)

I have also fired a Sig Sauer P228, it was fun but not up to my expectations of accuracy on a 25 meter range, it had a habit of hitting slightly too high and the sight gave little indication of where my rounds were actually going to end up, I found it easier to ignore the sight and simply look down the right hand side of my barrel.

I've fired some kind of rifle at a target and thats it, I missed the target and hit the wall behind it.

I cant keep track of all the firearms ive fired (mostly Handguns), currently own five Handguns all for sale and selling one as we speak, When I was in the US I was able to have some fun with a M16 and M249, full Automatics is something we cant even try here in Australia.

.50 calibre sniper rifle.

That thing is amazinly powerful.

Ive fired a air rifle when i was little.

Hard to own guns in Australia.

Small_Fryz
.50 calibre sniper rifle.

That thing is amazinly powerful.

Ive fired a air rifle when i was little.

Hard to own guns in Australia.

yeah it rules, but the supression system makes it really nice, there is kick but not bone breaking or brusing recoil, more like a firm push.

skylineGTR_guy
yeah it rules, but the supression system makes it really nice, there is kick but not bone breaking or brusing recoil, more like a firm push.
Actually, the kick on those things aren't that bad. A 12 guage with 3" mag loads has a bigger kick. The recoil break on those things really work well.

Too bad Gov Ahnold banned them here in SoCal recently. But, we can buy/own the detachable version only. Owning this rifle means you need to releoad your own ammo. Making your own bullets is also needed.

Solid Lifters
Actually, the kick on those things aren't that bad. A 12 guage with 3" mag loads has a bigger kick. The recoil break on those things really work well.

Too bad Gov Ahnold banned them here in SoCal recently. But, we can buy/own the detachable version only. Owning this rifle means you need to releoad your own ammo. Making your own bullets is also needed.

yeah thats what I was saying, its not that bad :) just a push.

You dont have to reload your own, hes going to start doing it but normally he just buys about 1000 rounds at a time :)

Ammo is quite pricey here, I reload all my ammo (Centerfire only obviously).

My cousin and I always shoot the .243 Winchester in Arkansas. That thing rules, and I am an amazing shot.

Seriously, I rule at shooting stuff.

I'm 100% completely against guns. My father's wish was to have a pistol (hand gun) (for target practice). I had to co-sign a paper to say that I agreed to have a gun in our house. Well, I refused to sign (in the beginning). I was feeling sorry for my father, so I gave in and signed the damn paper.
But still I am against guns (personal opinion).

kikie
I'm 100% completely against guns. My father's wish was to have a pistol (hand gun) (for target practice). I had to co-sign a paper to say that I agreed to have a gun in our house. Well, I refused to sign (in the beginning). I was feeling sorry for my father, so I gave in and signed the damn paper.
But still I am against guns (personal opinion).

Why are you against guns? They're great! Very useful.

I can't keep track of all of the guns I've shot either. Half a dozen handguns, a 12-guage, and rifles out the wazzo.

I don't particularly enjoy shooting, though I don't dislike it either. I just see guns as useful enough that I should know how to use them well. It's not something that I'm likely to do as a hobby, but it is something that I'm likely to keep up with on a semi-regular basis.

sn00pie
I'm sure it's fun to fire guns - but please don't tell me guns are useful.

They're useful.

They're so useful in fact that they're pratically indispensable. How else are you going to protect yourself? I'd bet a lot of people in New Orleans wished they had guns for self defense.

I'll bet some people in Los Angeles during the riots wished they had guns.

I'll bet just about everyone who has had their house broken into while they were home has wished for a gun.

What else out there is able to empower an 80 year old woman to defend herself against a 6ft tall 22 year old physically fit man? If that's not useful I don't know what is.

sn00pie
I'm sure it's fun to fire guns - but please don't tell me guns are useful.
They are very useful. Here in the states, more rodents have fallen with a silenced .22 pistol than any other method. Look at New York. They have the most strict gun laws, and rodents. Coincidence? No, not hardly.

Ever wonder why places like Disneyland, or other theme parks, don't have birds pooping on patrons, rodents eating in garbage cans, stray cats roaming, etc. etc. etc. Firearms. I've been on several "hunting parties" at Disneyland. You'll be surprised to know the firearms used to eliminate the animals at "The Happiest Place On Earth!" They use mosty-non-leathal screamer-popper 12 guage rounds to get rid of nesting birds. See or hear a bird, shoot at it with shotgun round that screams when it travels, then explodes into a loud percussion blast that scares most of the birds away. I say most, because sometimes, they fall down dead.

It's just not theme parks, either. Cities have men armed with silenced Ruger 10/22s and Ruger .22 pistols. They go and kill any rodent they come across. Even parts of California do this. I don't think LA does it, which is why they have such a huge rat problem. So does Beverly Hills. Think about it. Multi million dollar homes live with a huge rat problem because they city officials who are too "anti gun." When the city of San Bernardino, here in SoCal, started having a problem with rodents, they searched for the best method to get rid of them. Traps, didn't work. Nor did spraying chemicals, which wasn't an available option year round. So, when they asked around for the best method and a silenced .22 was the best choice.

See, they're very useful. This is just dealing with rodents, too. Guns are very useful. Think of the famers, cattlemen and plant growers who use guns everyday to get rid of invading animals. I have an old high school friend who works on a farm, and carries a .357 all day long on his hip. You'll be surprise how often they have to shoot an animal, to either keep the cattle safe or to end a particular cow's suffering.

Food makers and processors also use silenced .22s for rodent control. Do you want rodents around your food products when they're being packaged? I don't! Do you want them using chemicals around your food? I don't!

Yep, I would say guns are very useful.

That comment was not in-keeping with the spirit of the thread (as detailed in the first post by Calibretto), so let's not even go there please...
Calibretto
Keep it legal.

skylineGTR_guy
...pics...

Those pics are from Monster Garage, aren't they? :)

And I have fired a air rifle when I was about 10 or so at a school camp. I had pretty good aim, actually. :)

No, no, no... didn't mean that, just in a Monster Garage episode I saw a while back there were some shots looking similar to those pics. :)

blue_sharky39
No, no, no... didn't mean that, just in a Monster Garage episode I saw a while back there were some shots looking similar to those pics. :)

Ah ok :) sorry then, sometimes people on GTP like to raise the BS flag so I wasnt sure :)

Somone on another site brought up some crap about guns causing more crime so I looked up the statistics:

actually the US has LESS crime per person than the UK which banned guns

burglaries:
US 7.09996 per 1,000 people
UK 13.8321 per 1,000 people

car thefts:
US 3.8795 per 1,000 people
UK 5.6054 per 1,000 people

robberies:
US 1.38527 per 1,000 people
UK 1.57433 per 1,000 people

when you take all crimes into consideration the final statistics are:
US 80.0645 crimes per 1,000 people
UK 85.5517 crimes per 1,000 people

statistics taken from
UK http://www.nationmaster.com/country/uk/Crime&all=1
US http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us/Crime&all=1

skylineGTR_guy
Somone on another site brought up some crap about guns causing more crime so I looked up the statistics:

actually the US has LESS crime per person than the UK which banned guns

burglaries:
US 7.09996 per 1,000 people
UK 13.8321 per 1,000 people

car thefts:
US 3.8795 per 1,000 people
UK 5.6054 per 1,000 people

robberies:
US 1.38527 per 1,000 people
UK 1.57433 per 1,000 people

when you take all crimes into consideration the final statistics are:
US 80.0645 crimes per 1,000 people
UK 85.5517 crimes per 1,000 people

statistics taken from
UK http://www.nationmaster.com/country/uk/Crime&all=1
US http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us/Crime&all=1

Erm...how many crimes in the UK involve the use of guns?

How many people are killed or seriously injured each year in the Uk and the US by guns?

edit:

UK
Murders with firearms: 62 [20th of 32]
(per capita): 0.00102579 per 1,000 people [32nd of 32]

US
Murders with firearms: 8,259 [4th of 32]
(per capita): 0.0279271 per 1,000 people [8th of 32]

Latest Posts

Back