Real life subaru fans in GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter zodicus
  • 30 comments
  • 2,731 views
Messages
658
Messages
Zodicus / GTP_Zodicus
Messages
Xbox me no like
I own a 02 wrx, have made some mods to it TBE retune normal stuff. So when i got my first subie in the game i was pretty dissapointed in how it sounded. As i bought more i thought it was hopless to find one that didnt sound like a riced out honda. Then I found the 01 rally prototype. Holy cow it sounds awsome, still not quite as nice as my lowly 300hp wrx but a vast improvment from all the others ive heard in the game. As a bouns it handels awsome to. I mearly lowered the rear downforce to match the front.
 
I have an '02 Forester (I like to carry around lots of large boxes and 4 comfortably seated adult friends while I hotlap the 'ring). I am a fan of Scoobies in general though, and I will agree, the voice of an STI in game is pretty weak compared to the rumble IRL. In the game, I have a Impreza Coupe that sounds pretty 'rumbly' but it gets drowned out by the adjustable transmission.
 
It really depends on what you've done with the exhaust. If you do equal length headers IRL, you lose the signature subie blurble. I've changed virtually everything on my car besides the block itself, and my car sounds nothing like a subaru. It sounds more like a track car.. it's extremely deep and agressive, more V8 sounding, still definitely turns heads left and right.
 
did you stick with the unequal leangth headder? i dont like the equal leangth ones they sound all, well honda like. Also i wonder did you switch to a external wastegate? every sti ive heard with a external sounded awsome.

But with that in mind i supose you could say the ones in the game would sound somewhat right if they have equal leangth headders?
 
did you stick with the unequal leangth headder? i dont like the equal leangth ones they sound all, well honda like. Also i wonder did you switch to a external wastegate? every sti ive heard with a external sounded awsome.

But with that in mind i supose you could say the ones in the game would sound somewhat right if they have equal leangth headders?

Equal. Internal. Doesn't sound like a Honda at all. It's a much more deep tone and growls (not the blurble). It really does have more of a V8 sound (I also have an '03 Cobra with American Thunder, and the Subie actually turns more heads from the sound).

That being said, 99% of the engine sounds in GT5 are awful and way off. Almost all have an electronic-ish processed sound.
 
The STI's in the game are the JDM 2.0L UEL. The "rumble" you are talking about is only on the North American 2.5L UEL STi's.
 
I have an 09 Forester NA, and I just love the sound of the 2.5, very mechanical but also reminds me of sewing machines, its just that kind of sound. I am a bit disappointed with the GT Subaru sounds but as I have no exposure to the 2.0, I do not really know what they are supposed to sound like.
 
I have an 06 STi, and an 02 WRX wagon currently. I track the STi a lot, and my wife and I used to track the wagon, but it sees daily duty now and baby hauling. ^_^

The game sounds are horrible, and the only one I've found that sounds close to real life is the 05 Spec C. The JDM Spec C cars had 2.0s with equal length headers, and from the video footage I've heard of the real cars... the game sound is close.

Other than that, the rest of the game cars are awful, and don't come close to the unequal length header sound at all.

Sad... I doubt even GT6 will get this right.

My cars:

frontontrack1.jpg


more on the STi's mods: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-memb...-guy-track-car-daily-driver-update-defis.html

2007_10190067.jpg
 

in youre sig it says you are running the AP, you still set up with the AP? i used to run the AP stg2 tune on my 02, then i found opensorce and got a tune off the internet. It was just a base stg2 tune from a guy on scooby mods but it runs way better then the cobb tune. If you havent looked in to open sorce its worth a look.
 
The STI's in the game are the JDM 2.0L UEL. The "rumble" you are talking about is only on the North American 2.5L UEL STi's.

Nope, all EU cars have the burble and have had since they were lauched with the 2.0 engine many moons ago
 
in youre sig it says you are running the AP, you still set up with the AP? i used to run the AP stg2 tune on my 02, then i found opensorce and got a tune off the internet. It was just a base stg2 tune from a guy on scooby mods but it runs way better then the cobb tune. If you havent looked in to open sorce its worth a look.

Yep, I'm well aware. One of my friends works closely with Cobb. They almost bought out his shop. He's one of the top Subaru tuners in the States.
 
in youre sig it says you are running the AP, you still set up with the AP? i used to run the AP stg2 tune on my 02, then i found opensorce and got a tune off the internet. It was just a base stg2 tune from a guy on scooby mods but it runs way better then the cobb tune. If you havent looked in to open sorce its worth a look.


I had my car tuned by Cobb here in Plano with the DP and stock Catback. So it's tuned, specifically for my car rather than an off the shelf map.

It runs great, and it's a conservative tune at only 19psi as I really track it a lot and don't want to run it too hard and push the internals, etc. to the limit for big power since I need it to be reliable on track and get me home every time.

(knock on wood) so far so good.

Also for some reason I can't figure out how to edit my sig to update it...
 
That being said, 99% of the engine sounds in GT5 are awful and way off. Almost all have an electronic-ish processed sound.

So I'm NOT crazy then! Some of the sounds in this game cause tingles, while others elicit farts and frowns. Thought it was just the audio on the TV, but I'm glad to hear others notice it too.
 
I didn't realize that the current JDM STIs had ELH, that explains a lot about the sound. I really do like the burble that comes with UEL headers. Seems a shame to remove it, since it's such a characteristic part of a Subaru's performance vehicles.

Glad my 08 STI is USDM and has the burble. Oh, and my profile pic is my former car, a stage 2 WRX.

e.
 
ELH will give better performance throughout the power band, and depending on header design you may see the largest gains at the low, mid, or high range. The reason the equal length gives more power is because the exhaust pulses aren't in constant contention with each other. It's that little bit of contention in the unequals that help give that signature blurble. It becomes a toss-up, do you want more power or keep the exhaust note? Real-life gains in torque range from 5-30ft/lbs depending on manufacturer and other already existing mods.
 
Ive looked at them a few time but i just cant bring myself to do it. I like the sound of the un equals to much. However if it was my weekend warrior or track car id do it in a heart beat, more power is better :)
 
10
Nope, all EU cars have the burble and have had since they were lauched with the 2.0 engine many moons ago

It may have some, but not as much as the 2.5 UEL.
 
I'm a subie fan also, I'm planning on buying either the 2004/5 WRX STi or the 2006/7 STi, they're both are great, and my neighbor and friend has the 2005 one. I love working with him on his subie also. But I have to agree on the subies on GT5, they sound so completely different than the USDM ones or the EU but there's videos on YouTube that show JDM WRX/STi's exaust tones are soooooooo off the growl that the subies are known and familiar to us. It's kinda wierd feeling, but before I heard JDM boxer4s I thought they sound the same like ours. And since GT5 and the other GT games were made in Japan, PD used their own version of the Imprezas Legacys etc. before we had the GDB series starting with bugeyes, that's how the JDM ones sounded even to the GRB chassis of today has a slight growl than the GDB's featured in the games.

And can some give me their opinions on the GDB typeII (2003-2005) and the GDB typeIII (2005-2007) WRX/STis and which ones are good. Thanks :)

And the years I put in, are the same beginning years of those two chassis of the GDB in the GT series ever since with GT4(GDBII). And are similar to the ones in the JDM form irl?

Hope you guys love the trivia/facts. :)
 
Last edited:
You can tune the snot out of any of them. It's somewhat a matter of personal preference with the cosmetics (03-05 is my favorite, I have an 05) and what you're going to be changing out so you don't buy something that you're just going to swap out anyway. Here is a good rundown of what they've changed through the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#Rev._D_.282003.29
 
Thanks for the info, much appericated!

Mostly I'm looking either the 2004-2007 years of the GDB platform. Mostly as a daily driver/track car (college, work, and a weekend beast.) I will build around maybe 350-400hp. But if I can afford another car(I'm a college student) I was thinking around buying one of these as the main project.

Toyota Supra MK4

Honda S2000

Mazda RX7 (FD)

Mitsubishi Lan Evo 8/9

Or another STi, I'm in favor with the first three to redesign, but give me some of your ideas and opionions. 💡
 
Being my daily here in New England, AWD was important to me. Seeing where you are, probably not so much.
 
Elkay
Being my daily here in New England, AWD was important to me. Seeing where you are, probably not so much.

Yep it's okay here over here in the States espically in the West Coast. :) but you guys get the turbo GC8s and Skyline GTRs easily. :(

So you are lucky my friend. :)
 
zodicus
I own a 02 wrx, have made some mods to it TBE retune normal stuff. So when i got my first subie in the game i was pretty dissapointed in how it sounded. As i bought more i thought it was hopless to find one that didnt sound like a riced out honda. Then I found the 01 rally prototype. Holy cow it sounds awsome, still not quite as nice as my lowly 300hp wrx but a vast improvment from all the others ive heard in the game. As a bouns it handels awsome to. I mearly lowered the rear downforce to match the front.

You haven't found the STi 22B yet... When you do, you'll say "that's how an STi is supposed to sound!"

Light mods on a 22B (intake, headers and semi race exhaust) is all u need to make it sound like a beast!
 
Back