Earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 279 comments
7.8 earthquake 200 km of the coast of the Japanese Bonin Islands today. It was pretty deep, 677 km, no reports of damage so far.

According to new theory, we are in a cyclic high seismic activity period for +8.5 quakes.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/earth-now-seismically-active-period-according-quake-cluster-theory-1502158
Great earthquakes of magnitude 8.5 or higher occur infrequently but are found to cluster in time, says Chadha, based on the analysis of 115 years of global data. Such "clustering" is not found for magnitudes lesser than 8.0 which show an annual average of about 15 to 16 every year, globally.

Data analysed from 1900 onwards based on the catalogue available with United States Geological Survey (USGS) indicate there have been three possible periods of clustering of magnitude 8.5 or greater, lasting 15 years, which can also be referred to as "periods of seismic activation" of great earthquakes, he told IBTimes UK.

The first was in the period beginning with 1905 till 1920 when there were six earthquakes exceeding magnitude 8.5 and several closer to 8.5.

Next followed the period between 1950 to 1965, when seven earthquakes exceeding magnitude 8.5 occurred which included three of magnitude 9.0 or greater. During this period, the greatest known earthquake of M9.5 occurred in Chile in 1960.

"The third clustering in time of great earthquakes seems to have begun with Sumatra earthquake of magnitude 9.3 in 2004 and till 2015, already six earthquakes exceeding magnitude 8.5 have occurred globally, after Sumatra, including one of magnitude 9.0 in Japan in 2011," points Chadha.

Going by this pattern indicating a "period of seismic activation" lasting for a 15-year cycle thrice in the last 115 years, we could now be in the third cluster, he says.

"This can continue till 2019 and earthquakes with magnitude 8.5 or greater can occur along any of the collision or subduction zones of the world."
Report of a new 8.5 quake.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/30/japan-earthquake-85-magnitude-ogasawara-islands

"At 3:55pm PDT, an 8.3 earthquake occurred off the coast of Chile. Tsunami advisories have been posted for Hawaii and portions of Southern California." - National Tsunami Warning Center

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=usa&wwa=Tsunami+Advisory

11224490_905738836128792_2548191137947470507_o.jpg

Update: Tsunami watch for Hawaii has been canceled. Watch still in effect for southern California with small waves and strong currents possible.

Edit: requested thread merge.

I really don't want to know how bad was it in Chile. Here in Argentina, many mles away, I thought my building was going to collapse.

Apparently Arizona had a couple quakes early this morning. 75km north of the Phoenix area. 4.0 and 4.1 respectively. Hard enough to wake people up. I'm about 60 miles south of Phoenix so I'm sure it wasn't as shakey here, I slept right through it. Not the news I expected to wake up to.

Edit: Seems there were three of them: 3.2, 4.0, 4.1

quakes.png

Last edited:
2 Earthquakes yesterday in Southern Japan, 6.2 and 6.4, at least 9 dead and 900 wounded.

And today a 7.4 with a 6.0 aftershock, a tsunami warning was issued but withdrawn shortly after.

2 Earthquakes yesterday in Southern Japan, 6.2 and 6.4, at least 9 dead and 900 wounded.

And today a 7.4 with a 6.0 aftershock, a tsunami warning was issued but withdrawn shortly after.

I saw 10 people dead on Jalopnik.

The news said it was actually 7.3 but we had some alike big quakes(which are all more than M.6 ~) other than that one like 7 ~ 8 times here - killing 32 people in addition to initially 9 deaths by the first earthquake of M6.5.

7.8 in Ecuador last night. Killing at least 77.

How atrocious, I give all my condolences to those who got cut off by the earthquake. :(

I just now saw that post, so no worries on the nuclear front I presume. Condolences of course, mother nature is cruel.

160 deaths, 350+ injured...so far.
This country was already a mess, a lot of problems expecially around rome lately, this was definitely what we needed.

I heard about it on the radio, and just saw it on tv. Complete destruction. 247 dead so far.

This was a 6.2 quake. If the region ever gets hit by something like a 7 there won't be a single building left standing up.

You lost me.
After Italy's last major earthquake at L'Aquila in 2009, six scientists (and an underreported government official) were put on trial, found guilty and given six year prison sentences for failing to predict it. The convictions were later overturned on appeal.

After Italy's last major earthquake at L'Aquila in 2009, six scientists (and an underreported government official) were put on trial, found guilty and given six year prison sentences for failing to predict it. The convictions were later overturned on appeal.
I was specifically talking about GTP.

I admit my ignorance on the subject, but as far as I know it's impossible to scientifically predict an earthquake, so you can't indict someone for that on a court. They were not sentenced for failing to predict it. After the earthquake swarm of that period a board of experts (the 7 men later put on trial) has been arranged by the Civil protection to evaluate risks. A member and spokesman of that board released an official statement to the press saying that the earthquake swarm was normal in that area and there was no danger. He's been the only one been found guilty on appeal because he stated that before the meeting, so his statement wasn't backed by experts' opinions which was the purpose of that meeting. He also failed to rectify that statement after the meeting, which concluded that the situation wasn't that good at all.

Back