Recommendation

• Thread starter D_gamer725
  • 16 comments
Yep! EPR is 3 years old, and it's a PS2 game, but when I know of anyone that likes GT or TOCA and is still playing on the PS2, I always recommend it.

It's compatible with the G25 too (as a DFP), so you can enjoy a level of control far beyond the capabilities of forza 2.

Enthusia is the most realistic overall car-control experience on any console, and shades most PC sims in a few areas (awd system modelling, fwd wheel jacking, transition between grip and slip).

It could have been a much better game, but as a sim for tooling around in it is quite peerless. No other console racer gives you an airport square to practice hands-free third gear drifts in a supercharged cobra!

Yeah I would recommend it. I had GT3 and 4 and TOCA 2 and 3 before I bought it and I still found myself playing it a lot compared to the others. It's a great game and only $20 new off of Amazon so it's not like you have anything to lose by giving it a try.

Enthusia offers a different & more detailed physics than Forza or GT4. This makes for a more challenging driving experience, which is fun & addictive for those who appreciate it.

On the negative side: no damage, no online, poor AI, poor sound, so-so graphics, only two "real-world" tracks & somewhat weird game-play structure.

I have enjoyed playing it a lot, but in the end, IMO it's better suited to time trial mode than racing, because of the combination of GT4-like AI (ie. not good) & the infuriating "penalty" system. At current prices, it's worth getting just for the fantastic "Dragon Range" touge course, which is definitely one of the most fun things you can do on a PS3 driving sim.

Also: don't bother if you don't have a decent wheel (& you're not Wolfe).

I would not recommend it. the force feedback is weird when G25 is used, tuning options are pure arcade, and most of the cars don't seem to be too different from each others..

There's plenty of space for a copy of Enthusia in even the most die hard Gran Turismo fan's collection. As others have mentioned, it has a totally different handling model to GT that simulates under and oversteer in a way that GT can only dream of (although i've not experienced GT5:P yet).

I would not recommend it. the force feedback is weird when G25 is used, tuning options are pure arcade, and most of the cars don't seem to be too different from each others..

What's wrong with the FFB? It unweights nicely when you have to countersteer (so you're not fighting the ffb to recover), and you can do no-hands powerslides in cars at airport square (and end the drift no hands if you're careful). It's as competent as any other FFB out there, quite free of lag too.

I certainly haven't noticed anything different when using the G25 either.

Lets not argue about this. Everone has their own opinion. Start a debate thead if you want argue. (Thinking about it I might do that).

Nobody's arguing... If you consider that arguing then check the opinion's forum.

I love Enthusia and would highly recommend it to you, D_gamer725, but Leonidae is right about the force feedback -- it isn't good. I'm sure it's fine once you get used to it, but I'd rather just leave the G25 for Live for Speed, and so I play with the controller.

EPR is pretty good. You can find it used for about 6-8 USD at Gamestop. I don't play it as much as I used but it is still a good game to play. By the way you don't need a wheel, a controller works just fine.

Well, let's not start a new debate, but I always played EPR with a wheel (the old Driving Force), with the Force Feedback set to strongest, and I thought it was great.

debates help to form new opinions. and conflicting opinions help to see the matter from both sides.

only thin I would call somewhat correct and realistic in EPR are the sounds. Touge track is nice, but Nurb is.. let's just say, castrated. it's smooth as butter, lacks the terror factor and it's rather wide. then there is the utterly moronic AI, that rates even lower than GT4's AI.

the force feedback is weird when G25 is used

Not really, but IMO a little "spongy" & laggy.

tuning options are pure arcade

Agreed.

most of the cars don't seem to be too different from each others..

Totally disagree: the cars are more distinct in handling, than in GT4 or Forza.

only thing I would call somewhat correct and realistic in EPR are the sounds.

Disagree: I think the sounds are really weak in EPR.

utterly moronic AI, that rates even lower than GT4's AI.

Sadly, it's pretty bad, but I'm not sure it's actually worse than the AI in GT4

Touge track is nice, but Nurb is.. let's just say, castrated. it's smooth as butter, lacks the terror factor

True. But then the Ring is unquestionably the greatest achievement in GT4. Actually, driving a powerful FR car fast around The Ring, without that @#$%^! black flag, is about the most intense, white-knuckle experience I've had in console racing, especially trying to match Wolfe's time! :ouch: However, because of the bad AI, it's more about the time than the racing.

Nurb is.. let's just say, castrated. it's smooth as butter, lacks the terror factor and it's rather wide.
Enthusia's version of the Nürburgring, apart from the lack of bumps, is the most accurate version I've seen yet. The width is good, the corners and hills are laid out properly, and at least from my experience, laptimes tend to be far more accurate than they ever were on GT4.

I think we can all agree that GT4's and EPR's versions of the Nordschleife are far more accurate than in any PGR or Forza.

then there is the utterly moronic AI, that rates even lower than GT4's AI.
I think they're about the same, and both are merely acceptable.

tuning options are pure arcade
Agreed.
Being able to buy/upgrade parts and tweak them would have been nice, but at least Enthusia's tuning system still affects the car pretty realistically. I would describe a "pure arcade" tuning system as one that doesn't actually do anything (like any Need for Speed game, even the good ones).

I completely understand your point, though.

Disagree: I think the sounds are really weak in EPR.
The sound quality is hit and miss on some cars, but everything is recorded and sound loads better than anything Polyphony has ever come up with. The 2002 Turbo, which has a turbocharged version of my BMW's engine, exhibits the same valve clatter at idle.

EPR is most definitely bested in this area by Forza 2, though.

Back