Recovering from a crash - do you also lose THAT much time?

Austria
Vienna
I am not sure if I tend to make more mistakes than everyone else or my mistakes are just worse than others.
But whenever I make a single larger mistake in a race I pretty much end at the bottom of the field.
Maybe in the A/S class others really don't make any mistakes, but somehow I have a feeling that I am losing an excessive amount of time whenever I make a larger mistake.
For example I did a FIA race a few days ago. I made a rather big mistake, and obviously you lose time when doing such a mistake.
But I analyzed the replay and ultimately the mistake cost me 24 seconds and this seems too much. And I can't believe that NONE of the other 19 drivers has done ANY big mistake in a 12 lap race.

Here is the video:

I was ~5.5s behind the leader when the mistake happened. After having finally got rid of the additional, useless penalty and getting finally up to full speed at the bus stop I was 29.5s behind. There is not much to do about the stupid penalty I guess besides being angry at PD, still the time alone until I got back onto the track after the crash was insane.

I wonder if there is something I a missing or doing wrong. Is there some way to have the car reset automatically that I don't know about or something like that. Some recommend using the options button, but I tried this numerous times and usually all that happen is that the AI uselessly keeps bumping into the wall and losing me even more time.

Anyway I have a feeling that I am not handling these situations as good as they could be handled and I would appreciate your input what I could have done differently here, if anything.

If i get caught in a spin, the way that the game seems to work is that you will almost always end up facing backwards. However, if I shift to reverse during the spin, I find that I end up facing forwards more often than not. This has saved me in countless spins, but its not always effective. Thats really the only tip that I have discovered.

Other than that, the game has terrible off road physics and its hopeless to be in a RWD in the grass.

You also went off track in a not ideal part of the circuit. That's a fast stretch from there! You got bogged in the sand, and that slowed your recovery. Anywhere else on that track and the time lost may not have been so great.

I dunno. It seems when other people crash the game instantly resets them on the driving line. When I go wide it lets me pootle around in the sand for 15 seconds until I'm about to merge back on the track while gaining speed for it to reset me anyway at zero speed.

Perhaps if you're going to crash, go full throttle into a wall to force a quick reset....

I dunno. It seems when other people crash the game instantly resets them on the driving line. When I go wide it lets me pootle around in the sand for 15 seconds until I'm about to merge back on the track while gaining speed for it to reset me anyway at zero speed.

Perhaps if you're going to crash, go full throttle into a wall to force a quick reset....

Exactly, I have often seen this in replays, guy goes off track and as soon as he hits the wall his car is reset. For me I can spend half a minute getting that RWD thing off the sand or grass :-/ That is why I wondered if there is some "reset button"that I don't know about.

What especially infuriates me is that in practice/qualifying if you go off the track and then if you hit the brakes and come to a full stop the game will reset you within half a second or so. But in Sport mode it doesn't. There you have the lottery :-/

Exactly, I have often seen this in replays, guy goes off track and as soon as he hits the wall his car is reset. For me I can spend half a minute getting that RWD thing off the sand or grass :-/ That is why I wondered if there is some "reset button"that I don't know about.

What especially infuriates me is that in practice/qualifying if you go off the track and then if you hit the brakes and come to a full stop the game will reset you within half a second or so. But in Sport mode it doesn't. There you have the lottery :-/

I noticed that in races where the resets are active, you sometimes have to come to a full stop to be reset, maybe this is what you are seeing

Edit: damn I see you already said this

I am not sure if I tend to make more mistakes than everyone else or my mistakes are just worse than others.
But whenever I make a single larger mistake in a race I pretty much end at the bottom of the field.
Maybe in the A/S class others really don't make any mistakes, but somehow I have a feeling that I am losing an excessive amount of time whenever I make a larger mistake.
For example I did a FIA race a few days ago. I made a rather big mistake, and obviously you lose time when doing such a mistake.
But I analyzed the replay and ultimately the mistake cost me 24 seconds and this seems too much. And I can't believe that NONE of the other 19 drivers has done ANY big mistake in a 12 lap race.

Here is the video:

I was ~5.5s behind the leader when the mistake happened. After having finally got rid of the additional, useless penalty and getting finally up to full speed at the bus stop I was 29.5s behind. There is not much to do about the stupid penalty I guess besides being angry at PD, still the time alone until I got back onto the track after the crash was insane.

I wonder if there is something I a missing or doing wrong. Is there some way to have the car reset automatically that I don't know about or something like that. Some recommend using the options button, but I tried this numerous times and usually all that happen is that the AI uselessly keeps bumping into the wall and losing me even more time.

Anyway I have a feeling that I am not handling these situations as good as they could be handled and I would appreciate your input what I could have done differently here, if anything.

Hahahahahaha sorry!
I do this all the time. I always crash in a place that I get stuck.
One time I crashed into that small opening in the guard rail between the main straight and the boxes at Brands Hatch. I parked there! Lol

FIA races don't have automatic resets in as far as i know. so its up to you .. dont crash in sand traps or it really will take you all day to get out. just like real sand

I think it resets you in the dailies but not in the FIA events. You need to be especially careful in the latter

This game offers no chance to catch up and is severely unentertaining as such. If you hit a wall, just leave the game and start another

This game offers no chance to catch up and is severely unentertaining as such. If you hit a wall, just leave the game and start another

I don’t understand your point. The game doesn’t need to offer or not a chance to catch up. This is up to your adversaries.
They shouldn’t be punished by your mistakes. I do mistakes all the time, and it sucks! Still, that’s life. Making mistakes sucks and there are consequences.

Welcome to GTP!!!

No it isn't about penalizing no mistakes, it's that the races are bland as bread with no action. The bad AI is more interesting than pvp races

No it isn't about penalizing no mistakes, it's that the races are bland as bread with no action. The bad AI is more interesting than pvp races

I don’t know how to respond to that. A new user with 4 posts all saying “bad” things about GT Sport. I don’t know if it’s “obvious troll is obvious” type of deal... but I’ll give it a try.

The AI is pretty bad. Let’s say REALLY bad. I understand if you say you like it better. Better than racing humans... that’s ok. But saying racing against humans is “bland” is a bit much. I don’t know which humans you’re talking about. The ones I race against are a LOT faster than the AI and a lot more skilled when managing strategies and aggressiveness. Did you just start playing and you’re having a bad time or something like this?

4 posts has nothing to do with experience in racing games. There is zero placement movement I see in the daily races. No matter where people place , they finish within one place of where they start in every race I've seen so far. That is nothing like real racing. It's no matter if you qualify first or last.

I just wouldn't recommend sport to anyone for racing. Noob or experienced player. Not got pvp anyway, which I thought was the point of sport

4 posts has nothing to do with experience in racing games. There is zero placement movement I see in the daily races. No matter where people place , they finish within one place of where they start in every race I've seen so far. That is nothing like real racing. It's no matter if you qualify first or last.

I just wouldn't recommend sport to anyone for racing. Noob or experienced player. Not got pvp anyway, which I thought was the point of sport
Not gonna try the suggestion given to you to improve your Sport mode experience?

Dude... I just saw your online profile. Give it some time, race more and go up the ranks. It will get better!

Your Profile

Just yesterday I had an amazing race at Blue Moon. Sixth to second. Some guy went from 19 to seventh. 2 days ago a guy that started around seventh finished second at Suzuka. Races are awesome!

Sorry about getting off topic a bit.

Last edited:

The game is pretty got at matchmaking you with several players that are around your speed, so racing is almost a guarantess, depending on how you race of course. Race like a dirty bastard, and it will suck, race like a true racer, and it is awesome.. the bad AI can not compete

And you can catch up when you make mistakes.. i made a few in this race...

Keep on playing and it will get to you.. Happy Racing!

OK, thanks and goodbye :)

No it isn't about penalizing no mistakes, it's that the races are bland as bread with no action.

Can somebody translate this for me, it's hurting my brain?

If it says what I think it means, then I still don't understand how flying off track is relevant to bland races. I mean you're off the track, you're literally not racing anymore. Coming back on to the course, when margins are that narrow, is only done to gobble up positions from people who mess up worse than yourself.

Can somebody translate this for me, it's hurting my brain?

If it says what I think it means, then I still don't understand how flying off track is relevant to bland races. I mean you're off the track, you're literally not racing anymore. Coming back on to the course, when margins are that narrow, is only done to gobble up positions from people who mess up worse than yourself.

I believe he is saying that, irrespective of penalties, he thinks the races are boring. "Bread with no action" sounds a bit strange though, but what he does with his bread is between him and the bread.

He seems to have a problem with starting and finishing positions not changing here:

There is zero placement movement I see in the daily races. No matter where people place , they finish within one place of where they start in every race I've seen so far.

This is weird though as in 87 races (that @jasguer's site has recorded), I have:

Lost positions in 18 (40 positions in total)
Stayed the same in 15
Gained positions in 54 (147 positions in total)

Basically, he's trolling.

I believe he is saying that, irrespective of penalties, he thinks the races are boring. "Bread with no action" sounds a bit strange though, but what he does with his bread is between him and the bread.

Oh, I see. Well, he's probably doing short lap One Make races where the cars are all the same spec then. I mean outside of rubber banding or some other kind of artificial race balancing I don't see how else those races would work.

Oh, I see. Well, he's probably doing short lap One Make races where the cars are all the same spec then. I mean outside of rubber banding or some other kind of artificial race balancing I don't see how else those races would work.
Exactly... imagine if P1 got time penalties for just being P1 in order to "balance" the race :lol:

Back