Red Bull Ring, Volkswagen Scirroco GT24...

• Thread starter wedjim
  • 201 comments
United States
Kissimmee, Florida
wedjim
Ok, looks like we got set up with this one? FF platform car, track with zero flow and awkward 90 degree corners, sand traps to help out aggressive drivers. Cars are slower than the Megane, so it's more difficult to get space.

How are you guys doing so far?

I'll post my set up if anyone in interested, lmk.
My best lap so far is a 1:33.89x. But there is room for more, I already saw a Japanese racer get a 1:33.1xx.

Tons of glitches, with some new things I've never seen before. Like a driver and 4 wheels sitting second on the grid, half the cars never move at the start and they are there the whole race, minus the ones who got smashed into the wall and off the track during the race? lol

After 5 attempts trying to get into the event I gave up. Constantly loading the other players.

Yeah, popular the first few days. I tried 8 times before finally getting in a room. After 3 races, booted out as the lights started coming on for the start of another race.
Hopefully it will settle down by the end of the weekend.

Not actually raced yet, spent a while figuring out the Redbull Ring not to mention an FF race car :embarrassed:

Engine build is more interesting on this one, much more to play with...

[edit]
fastest 1:32.8xx mainly mid 1:33's track is colder than offline, less grip I think.[/edit]

Last edited:
I'll tell you one thing, it is much harder to make up time so far. Once I get my car more sorted it should be better. But right now, one bump and 5 second penalty puts you back in the pack where there are plenty more penalties to be had.

Hopefully things stabilise over the weekend; I away for the next few days so I won't get a chance to drive the GT24 until Monday at the earliest.

Hopefully things stabilise over the weekend; I away for the next few days so I won't get a chance to drive the GT24 until Monday at the earliest.

Honestly, I hate the car, I hate the track, but I'll still race it for the challenge. I'll be glad when it's over. lol

I gave up trying to get a race and ran some laps offline :(

Gearbox :banghead:

Haha, the gearbox is tuff isn't it? Wheel spin like mad in 1, 2 & 3...then a little boggy in 5 & 6.

I think tonight I'll try messing with the LSD to see if I can keep it accelerating in corners better. Something like 5/50/20. Right now I'm at 5/40/20 and it still lights up the outside tire out of turns(should be inside?).

I'm liking the car, it's got crazy off power steering ;) just need to be measured putting the power back in!

Right now I'm at 7/27/5 on the differential, I'd like lower acceleration setting but it does odd things in the sweepers towards the end of the lap, will reduce a click at a time until I find the sweet spot.

Still using default gearbox settings, going to try launching in second to get it off the line :embarrassed:

Haha, the gearbox is tuff isn't it? Wheel spin like mad in 1, 2 & 3...then a little boggy in 5 & 6.

I think tonight I'll try messing with the LSD to see if I can keep it accelerating in corners better. Something like 5/50/20. Right now I'm at 5/40/20 and it still lights up the outside tire out of turns(should be inside?).
Light up the outside on exit, inside on entry. It sure lights them up LOL. I am into the 1:33's & 4's I seem to be able to advance through the field fairly well the penalty issuers are a pain though.

Like my setup so far have yet to add rigidity.

@graveltrap , I tried a few LSD settings changes, but I've been making big swings to be certain what it does(controller limits my feel), then backing it off in between if I liked the direction it brought me. Right now I'm at 6/40/10. A higher middle setting made it turn in quite a bit less. Lower and I blazed the opposite front tire too much.

@SCClockDr , you're right, what I was seeing was thru sweeper turns under power, it lights up the outside from the slide while under heavy power input. But the inside isn't even turning orange? Hmmmm

I did get my lap times down a bit, by tuning offline to avoid the constant impacts. (Nobody seems to battle without banging on your doors?)

I also had my rear ride height jacked up since it works in the 3D world. Nope, level now. The steering is awesome now that I've sorted out reality vs GT6. I don't even use the brakes for a few of the turns. But you have to be on your toes.

Tip: Don't drift onto the front straight and clip the outside curb too much from the overshoot area or you get up to an 8 second SHORTCUT penalty...the OUTSIDE curb!!!

1:32.1xx is my best during a race so far, but haven't been able to duplicate it again, lol.
Offline is faster it seems by about .5 a second or so.

Middle diff setting is acceleration, this should only affect the car whilst you are on throttle. Remember we are know using the front wheels to drive the car forward as well as steer so it makes life more difficult!

I've had the inside front spinning with an acceleration setting of 12, whilst traction was great out of the tight corners the car was awful in the sweepers spinning power away then regaining traction. Its going to be an important setting to get right...

My Megane was more than happy to smoke its outside front tyre at the Nurburgring, but it didn't seem to impact performance ;)

I think my car is good enough to race if the game will let me...

This is what I am using thus far:
  • 1:32.248 Best Lap
  • 4:48.652 Best Race

Aids:
  • Driving Line ON
  • Active Steering Strong
  • ABS 2
Pit Service
  • Car Wash
  • NO Oil Change
  • NO Rigidity Improvement
Suspension
  • RH 70 - 90
  • SP 10.67 - 15.20
  • DC 5 - 4
  • DE 1 - 4
  • RB 1 - 3
  • Cam 0.00 - 0.00
  • Toe [ -- - 0.60]
Brakes
  • 5 - 8
Diff
  • 10 / 40 / 14
Power
  • 83.8%
  • E Stage 3
  • Comp [ Std ]
  • Racing Ex
  • EX Man Std
  • Cat Sports
  • Intake Std
  • Turbo Hi Speed
Body
  • DF 150 - 50
  • 10 Kg @ -40%
Weight Reduction
  • Stage [Std]
  • Hood [Std]
  • Windows [Std]
Transmission NOT Flipped
  • Speed 155
  • Final stock 4.062
  • 1 2.740
  • 2 1.960
  • 3 1.520
  • 4 1.240
  • 5 1.060
  • 6 0.900

Well I've managed a couple of races now...Not a full field yet and without success :(

The penalties are strong with this one, it seems the slightest touch results in 5 seconds :( [edit] this seems to more in and around corners, there is plenty of door banging on the straights , even forcing onto the grass! So I have to be more careful trying to over take up the inside in T1 and T2, touch the car on the outside and your done! [/edit]

Racing is much tighter I think, but the track is difficult to *race* on...

My car is seems to be fast in the wrong places :lol:

Last edited:
What pisses me off about this QM (besides the connection issues) is why does PD allow people to go wide on T1 and T2 without getting penalized? It's so annoying seeing cheaters go wide and pass you because they carry so much more speed thru those turns. If your car is half way past the rumble strips it should be a penalty ffs :ouch::grumpy:

Ok, here is what I'm running now, stay tuned as it will change when I find something good or get good tips. For example DRClockDr used the high speed turbo, which is normally too sluggish low end, so I hadn't considered it. But this car needs lag to keep the tires hooked up a little. Works great.
I've gotten a 1:32.2xx with it, although it's tough to get clean laps from little bobbles pishing hard in a FF car, or traffic. Let me know what you guys think.

70/72
8.79/13.39
3/6
8/5
5/6
0.0/3.0

Brakes
4/6

Gearbox
Set to 155 max auto speed setting
FD

LSD
12/39/12

Downforce
150/70

Power
83.7%
High speed turbo upgrade
Engine tune upgrade
Racing exhaust
No oil change
Chassis rigidity upgrade

Let me know what you guys are doing, maybe we can get an awesome set up and conquer all the other websites! ☺️

Last edited:
What pisses me off about this QM (besides the connection issues) is why does PD allow people to go wide on T1 and T2 without getting penalized? It's so annoying seeing cheaters go wide and pass you because they carry so much more speed thru those turns. If your car is half way past the rumble strips it should be a penalty ffs :ouch::grumpy:

Imo, they allow it because the first turn AND 2nd would be a disaster if everyone went to the same exact spot. Then everyone would come out of penalty at the same time and repeat the process.

To me, like full scale racing, if there is no penalty, it's not cheating. Like in NASCAR, some tracks you can drop below the yellow line. So if it's faster and keeps you from getting penalties, do it.

I find going wide in turn 1 and 2 cost time but on the first lap cramming into the scrum is slower on average.
Nailing the exit in these 2 turns within the track bounds pays strong dividends mid to 3/4 down the straight. Controlled entry, coast the rotation, & Throttle control on exit to limit wheel spin are huge in this effort. I am usually a deep breaker but find a more moderate application of the binders a bit earlier allows for a faster coast 'round the bend where more speed when I begin to apply throttle limits excessive spin on this FF tire shredder. @graveltrap can attest to the earlier braking as we raced together this afternoon.

I edited my setup above if anyone is messing with it. I got a best lap of 1.32:1xx and a best total of 4:45.5xx, three in a row for my clean start runs.

As far as the turn "controversy," it seems slightly slower to go wide, but also a bit more consistent. Because as the Dr said, wheel spin is the main factor and tight turns are where it shows up.

Watch for a guy named Tommasii(copper color car) or similar. He won't allow a clean pass and spends entire laps trying to get in front of you for a brake check. But he ended up in the sand the SECOND time I caught back up. It's all about a gentle rub, without a bang. ;)

I wish people put so much effort into figuring out how to go faster?

Well here is a diagram of the track...

upload_2015-4-10_20-11-22.png

As you can see the white sections are not part of the track so any position gained should be given back, like cutting the last chicane on the nurburg Megane Trophy QM.

That's just my opinion I guess... But then again like I said before I blame PD for not enforcing the track boundaries as they should have. Call me old-fashioned but I believe in beating people fair and square.

Nice to see you @SCClockDr :). Bill me for that rear bumper ;)

That room was rough but I learnt a lot, like to check which settings tab I'm using :dunce:

My last session of the night was much better, some good checkouts and a bunch of racers with a better attitude :).

Was running race times in the 4:44 bracket, with low 1:32 laps...

I am launching the car in second, which works but I smoke the tyres when shifting to 3rd :embarrassed:

Feeling more at home on the track, adjusted some lines after being monstered in braking zones. Loving the sweeper section now, tip the car in and it just slides round, not something I was expecting from an FF!

Chassis setup is getting better slowly, this is where I am at:

Rigidity improvement

RH 65/60
SR 10.47/16.65
DC 2/8
DR 9/3
ARB 2/7
CA 1.0/2.5
TOE :banghead:

BB 5/7

Diff 7/27/5

DF 150/180

Engine is making 407 BHP / 49kgfm torque I am not sure if it is the optimal build! [edit]It is not the optimal build IMO something with more power limiting seems to work better[/edit]

Racing Exhaust / Intake / Stage 3 Turbo limited to 90.3%

Gears are in the 162mph top speed bracket didn't capture the settings, first will be the tallest I could get and 6th the shortest, FD hasn't been altered will edit when I have all the numbers...

Max Speed 162

FD 4.062

[edit]This gearbox is not up to much, try it at you peril :( [/edit]

I think the transmission is the field leveller, and the part of the car that really needs attention, I'm basically using it as a 5 speed as it is not possible to get the long first required to launch with the bug in play.

Last edited:
Better balance is required for the track boundaries, the extra wide line shouldnt go without punishment, being pushed that wide by a car that failed to brake and then getting a penalty would get moaned about as well...

I've been smashed by people rejoining the track a few times now that exploit the run off :(

The curbs and the dark area beyond at these corners are harsh so running a little wide does hurt already!

I am liking the circuit more and more it is a very fast layout but has good overtaking possibilities :)

Second car built to test other people's setups! @wedjim the engine build and power reduction don't add up to PP514 for me!?

Fast car!! 1:31.1xx after ten or so laps offline good job! It's fast in the right places as well ;)

Last edited:
I gave this a go today.
Not too bad a car really.
I'll have to get another one as well to try out all the tunes here. 👍

The best I've managed is a 1:31.7
Race time of 4:42.

I guess you could call my tune a first day work in progress, but TBH I've thrown quite a bit of stuff at it already so it's doubtful I'll find much more time with it.

I tried a non-turbo tune, no oil, no rigidity, no ballast.
418BHP, 1120kgs, 514PP.

Power:
All power parts except turbo (no oil)
Limiter 97.7%

Suspension:
65 / 68
9.20 / 14.00
2 / 3
6 / 4
4 / 5
0.00 / 0.50
(fixed toe)

Brakes:
6 / 8

Diff:
8 / 36 / 16

Downforce:
130 / 100
(no ballast)

Gears:
After power parts are added, reset to default.
Set FD 3.000
Set Max. Speed 260km/h (161mph)

I should add ... also a 2nd gear launch.
Still plenty of smoke involved though. :lol:

Last edited:
@graveltrap , Yeah, I can't seem to get the same PP with the same tunes as others? I'm missing something, but I'll figure it out and post it here once I do.
I worked a lot on getting the car really good in the mid to high speed turns. Basically downshifting with a momentary tap of the brakes (turn 4 downshift only) and your mid turn powering out.

I'm making smaller adjustments now and testing what you guys are doing. We'll get this thing sorted and have the fastest cars in this event in no time!

Racing etiquette;
...while I'm at it, racing with buds here and relationships forming makes people a little cautious. I wanted to say that bumping and rubbing is all part of racing. It's being shoved off track and repeated banging down the straight away, or brake checks that cause irrational responses from me. :)
Otherwise it's all good.

I'll usually give room to faster cars anyways, so no need for severe aggression. I'm happy to follow and see where I can get faster.

@Speedracer8218 I agree that there should be a penalty. My point is, once they decide there isn't, it's part of the track in reality. I use it when needed to avoid the cheap penalties and people who stop 400 feet from the turns. I don't really like doing it, but...

Although cutting the chicane at Nurgurgring was different. You could never do so in a real car and PD just missed that one.

If it was up to me, damage would be on, rather than penalties. Problems almost all solved.

Oil change or ballast I would say...

After driving some of the other setups I've come to the conclusion my gearbox sucks!

Also the more power limited turbo build seems to have a bit more guts to it for some reason...

New engine builder required here :lol:

No ballast for me yet. I considered trying it in the rear, the front should be heavy enough? I know it says 50/50, but I've never seen a FWD car better than 55/45 in reality. I can't get past that, lol.
Using it in the rear would make the back more "swingy," not something it needs, imo.

The turbo really helps wheelspin in 2nd and third, but comes on strong the rest of the gears. Looking at the torque curve it's easy to see why. It's dead flat almost immediately with the stock turbo. It gets a "fairly normal," rise with the turbo upgrade. Two things FF cars don't like, to make traction and an engine with gobs of low end torque.

At least that's realistic. As well as the crappy sounding idle, exactly like VW's have. :/

@Speedracer8218 I agree that there should be a penalty. My point is, once they decide there isn't, it's part of the track in reality. I use it when needed to avoid the cheap penalties and people who stop 400 feet from the turns. I don't really like doing it, but...

Although cutting the chicane at Nurgurgring was different. You could never do so in a real car and PD just missed that one.

If it was up to me, damage would be on, rather than penalties. Problems almost all solved.

First I would like to say that using the word "cheaters" on my original post was a bit unnecessary, for that my apologies. My frustration is towards PD for their half a$$ job creating a fair race by not placing penalties were they should have.

That being said, going wide on T1 and T2 takes away the biggest challenge of this track, hitting the braking zone and exiting those corners without wheel spin is what decides who has the advantage going into the straights. Not slowing down enough and going wide makes this track relatively easy to race on (similar to High Speed Ring). Maybe they should have picked a different track where there are less chances of people taking advantage.

I don't think I'll be racing this QM anymore because I dont agree with PD's configuration of the track. Personally I couldn't watch a replay of a race that I won by going wide on those turns because I wouldn't consider it a clean victory.

Back