Reimagined Group B Rally Cars

• Thread starter screp RC
  • 183 comments
Portugal
Ourem
screpRC
As more information is being revealed, alongside the fictional Gt3 cars ( 4c, F-type, WRX, Evo..) we are seeing some reimagined Group B versions of Modern cars.

Until now we have seen the Evo X, Golf Vision and the Mustang but there is information about a Peugeot RCZ, Focus and WRX.

Like some, I have some issues playing with fantasy cars but on this case it sure is an intriguing concept.
WRC has suffered a lot because of the lack of interest of the general public in the Econoboxes that the series is based around and with the great success of more powerful Rallycross cars and respective championship, the interest that hillclimb cars generate when they are based on real world vehicles, this move seems quite smart from PD.

What are your opinions? Curious to see more? Fancy gimmick or great idea?

I'm gonna say great idea, because I've always loved the idea of customizing a car to match a particular aesthetic that while not era-correct, symbolizes creativity and style. Also, diecasts. I want diecasts of these cars. Especially the Mustang.

PS, I also want a '16 Chevy Camaro Group B to go against the Mustang. Hopefully car customization can make this happen.

Group B and Pikes Peak intersect really well also. And if PD really wants to make something out of this they can push the hillclimb theme further...

That´s where we see nowadays some rebodied Group B cars and some pretty crazy creations, and these cars fit perfectly on that mould.

I wish they would put in some REAL reimagined Group B concept cars that actually exist from manufacturers rather than fantasy ones.

Audi Quattro Concept Rally '11

audi-quattro-concept_600x0w.jpg

Pininfarina New Stratos Rally Concept '10

New-Stratos_11-%285%29.jpg

Renault TwinRun Concept '13

renault-twin-run-concept-2013-36-10920843nadhg_2038.jpeg

I don't like how GT is becoming more fantasy car driven, the only concepts they seem to do now are Vision GT ones rather than real motor show ones and now they have added made up Group B and GT3 cars...

Regarding the prejudice about using fantasy vehicles, I can understand both sides.
Having the Vision GT cars nerfed and repurposed to compete with others I really don´t like as they are not based in any real life car and dimensions and architectures would never be racing legal.

But the real life based ones I can approve because there is an existent base, their looks and dimensions seem believable and consistent with FIA regulations and in a time where we constantly see mock-ups and sketches of eventual vehicles that end up never racing, it is really nice to see them gaining life somewhere.

Pretty hard to argue against the coolness of that 4c, the F-type or the Mustang group B...or is it just me?

I can see why they've done it but those VGTs racing against real cars from real series is always going to look odd, they're all shapes and sizes, one of them is convertible!

As for the custom race cars I like the general idea for those that don't exist like the Alfa but I don't understand why they can't instead get the licenses for those that do exist, like the Vette.

These made for GT Sport GT3 cars add alot more variety, and they don't look out of place alongside the normal GT3 racecars. It's a pretty neat idea. The Group B Rally Cars also look really good and seem to be varied so that's also a plus.

I could dig a Group B version of the new Audi TTS. A small nod to the Quattro would be nice. :drool:

I could dig a Group B version of the new Audi TTS. A small nod to the Quattro would be nice. :drool:

Now that would be quite something if they got the 5 inline sound right and everything :D

What cars do people think lend themselves better or are expected to have this Group B Transformation ?
I´ll start by saying that the Toyota 86 could really be something interesting...Castrol livery and everything...

Now that would be quite something if they got the 5 inline sound right and everything :D

What cars do people think lend themselves better or are expected to have this Group B Transformation ?
I´ll start by saying that the Toyota 86 could really be something interesting...Castrol livery and everything...
The TTS is a 4 cylinder.

All the fantasy specs on real life cars reminds me of The Crew (Performance is Gr. 4, Dirt is Group B, and Circuit is Gr. 3). A Group B revival is surprising considering the history behind it, and to now see it supported in GT, I'm quite exicited what cars will end up in that list. An RCZ Gr. B already intrigues me.

Personally I don't like the VGT cars or the reimagined Group B cars. Vision GT was a clever idea and a good way for manufacturers to get involved so I understand why it was done. I also understand why we have the fantasy race cars - having decided to have a manufacturers fan cup they needed cars to represent all the makers and not all had current real race cars.

There were a lot of real Group B cars - some of which were still under development and never made it to the championship before the cars were banned by a change of rules. There are therefore lots of real Group B cars to choose from - I presume the reason they didn't add real Group B cars relates to licensing issues.

If they couldn't get licenses for real Group B cars, why not go back in time with retro rally cars like the Ford Falcon and Mini - cars which in their day were winners both on rally stages and in saloon car racing. Personally very disappointed by the apparent lack of classic road car and historic race car content which I would much rather have than fantasy cars.

I like it, reminds me of the race modifications from the earlier games.

As for the difference between VGT cars and "real concepts", the only difference is who set the design brief. Everything else is up to the design team: some concepts look deep into the future while others could be put into production tomorrow. Some concepts are built around traditional ideas and technologies, while others think far outside the box. Some concepts are prologues to upcoming models, while others are purely for bragging and brand excitement.

You've got the full spectrum of this, in the showrooms as well as in the VGT program. The Bugatti VGT is essentially a race modded Chiron, while the Chaparral 2X is a bold vision of the future (and an homage to the 2J and its groundbreaking use of new technology). And then you've got the SRT guys who are simply nuts, but if we only trusted sane people to design cars, it would be a pretty boring world.

I'm not a fan of any fictional or concept cars appearing in a game that calls itself "The Real Driving Simulator" (although as we know, that's far from its worst crime against realism!) - PD can only guess at how those cars would perform in real life. Fantasy cars should be left to the likes of Ridge Racer, IMO. I have a couple of issues with their inclusion:

I'm personally a huge fan of the fantasy racing cars, because they're plausible, and it is something to use instead of a juiced up street car against racecars...something that has always bothered me.

I don't find the fantasy and concept cars plausible. Most seem to offer far better performance for a similar PP or power/weight ratio compared to real life cars; even cars like the road-going RX8 or GT86 concepts were real giant-killers. What's wrong with picking a real-life racing car against other racing cars anyway?

These made for GT Sport GT3 cars add alot more variety, and they don't look out of place alongside the normal GT3 racecars. It's a pretty neat idea. The Group B Rally Cars also look really good and seem to be varied so that's also a plus.

GT3 is a vibrant series with many manufacturers currently competing in real life: Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Aston Martin, McLaren, Mercedes, Nissan, Bentley, and a whole lot more in regional series (Ginetta, Chevrolet, etc). You could have 20 different GT3 models from those manufacturers alone (e.g. Ferrari F430, 458 Italia, and 488), and within the history of GT3 homologations there were even more diverse and interesting cars - most of which are from manufacturers already included in GT. There's comfortably enough variety among those cars without inventing a few more.

And as for the rally cars that started this thread, GT has always been rubbish for rally. I can't see them including a proper, time-trial style rally mode (it was awful in the GT5 special event), but something like Rallycross would be a great addition. That would give plenty of scope for interesting and fast cars - again, without resorting to fictional cars for padding.

@spikyone I have to say that I agree with your opinion as far as the Gt3s are concerned. As neat and well thought out the 4c,F-type and the rest seem to be, the fact is that it is impossible to access data that could make the races between real vs fictional fair or realistic.

But regarding the Group B cars, it is a different matter. Everything is being made specifically for this category and while the rallycross example is a good one, the cars there in the end are still pretty much derestricted WRCs.
As group B is never coming back and people have such fond memories of it, I find it nice that they make this. could be a fantastic tie-in with Pikes Peak if PD is smart enough (normally they are not on these cases).

Without the VGT cars, what USP would Gran Turismo actually have in the modern gaming scene?

I wish Forza would come up with studio-designed race mods for us to add our liveries too. With such grand tuning paths, being able to upgrade to a harmonious race body would add even more to that series.

It's these GT designed cars that I am so fond of in the series, and in Tourist Trophy, too. The Group B revival is what's drawing me to GT Sport right now and it's something I won't be able to experience elsewhere.

Does that mean the Fiat 124 Abarth WRC concept rumour thingy will be useful for something now? I wish that car was added to the group b category. Also having a 458 rally car to succeed the GTO would be interesting

The 124 is surely a easy fit for this category...about the 458, I wouldn´t find it that great, if anything the 488 as a biturbo would surely fit better but even then...

I would like to see if people could come up with a list of cars that they would like to see "Group B-fied"
Let´s get the ball rolling.

Back