Renault Clio V

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 31 comments
United Kingdom
Wreckage, Turn 1
PrecisionXCIV
The first images of the Renault Clio have been released and my initial impressions are that it is setting the benchmark for interior design in its class. :eek:
3a958260-2020-renault-clio-interior-2.jpg

9715574e-2020-renault-clio-interior-7.jpg

a81c3757-2020-renault-clio-interior-4.jpg

As you may have figured, only interior shots have been revealed so far. However, you can see snippets of the exterior design in this video:
EDIT: Video Removed
37c9509b-2020-renault-clio-exterior-1.jpg

The car will make its debut at the Geneva Motorshow in March.

Source: Carscoops

Last edited:
Was really hoping the glued-on-tablet thing would not catch on. It just doesn't look right.

I don't mind it in this case since it is somewhat coherent with the design of the centre console. Its not fully integrated as it is in the Megane (understandably) but at least we are gradually leaving these days behind:
2015MercedesCclass-interior-thumb-620x411-78161.jpg

Was really hoping the glued-on-tablet thing would not catch on. It just doesn't look right.

It makes sense to have it that way though. it means you can have the info you want to see closer to where your eyes should be looking, ie the road, without having to have a tall, bulky dashboard to accommodate it.

The first images of the Renault Clio have been released and my initial impressions are that it is setting the benchmark for interior design in its class. :eek:

Which is good because you'll have plenty of time to admire the interior as you sit and wait for the RAC van to arrive ;)

I don't mind it in this case since it is somewhat coherent with the design of the centre console. Its not fully integrated as it is in the Megane (understandably) but at least we are gradually leaving these days behind:
2015MercedesCclass-interior-thumb-620x411-78161.jpg
The new Explorer hasn't come out yet though.

Check the Reanault Fuego seats! My brother wanted one of those when we saw it at the NY Auto Show. Other than its bubble hatch, he loves those seats.
IMG_6442.JPG
IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

Looks like they've built themselves another winner, won't surprise me if they will dominate the market even more than their predecessor with this one. The new 1.3 engine is potentially the best small petrol car engine in the world too so will make a great supermini, I want one now.

Given Renault's F1 and FE know-how and Zoe being best selling electric car in Europe, will be interesting to see how well they do hybrid version of the Clio. Hopefully they manage to keep the weight down, seems pointless IMO to have the diesel engines as the petrols are likely just as good on fuel.
It looks like a part of the car compared to others and very well placed too. Kind of dangerous how low down some cars have infotainment displays. I hope they update rest of their range with their new design and tech.
Which is good because you'll have plenty of time to admire the interior as you sit and wait for the RAC van to arrive ;)
Renault cars are really reliable and very cheap to maintain from experience. My favourite brand of car as they have great engines (Mercedes best selling cars are likely to be Renault powered), really comfortable seats, great driving dynamics and also are really safe too.

One of my issues with the current Clio is that due to the visibility and packaging, it feels a bit bigger to drive than it is, but the rear seat is surprisingly cramped. It's also not exactly expensive-feeling inside, but some of that is down to material quality and build quality rather than design. This segment continues to get more competitive so I suspect Renault's biggest challenge will be improving their reputation on the quality and reliability front.

Here's what the Clio V looks like on the outside. Its an evolution of the IV but looks very classy.
11f6abd2-2020-renault-clio-exterior-17.jpg

3f78028a-2020-renault-clio-exterior-16.jpg

GT Trim
3c41a301-2020-renault-clio-exterior-24.jpg

c6d213f8-2020-renault-clio-exterior-22.jpg

Here's what the Clio V looks like on the outside. Its an evolution of the IV but looks very classy.
11f6abd2-2020-renault-clio-exterior-17.jpg

3f78028a-2020-renault-clio-exterior-16.jpg

GT Trim
3c41a301-2020-renault-clio-exterior-24.jpg

c6d213f8-2020-renault-clio-exterior-22.jpg
The lower trim level needs something on the fenders below the mirrors, even if it isn't exactly what the GT has. The unadorned sculpted bodywork looks...odd. It is handsome overall, though.

The lower trim level needs something on the fenders below the mirrors, even if it isn't exactly what the GT has. The unadorned sculpted bodywork looks...odd. It is handsome overall, though.

The VW Polo has a similar feature, that space in the front fender is reserved for badges of sportier variants.
New-Volkswagen-Polo-min.jpg

The VW Polo has a similar feature, that space in the front fender is reserved for badges of sportier variants.
New-Volkswagen-Polo-min.jpg
And it pulls it off a great deal better thanks to the sculpting following the beltline all the way to the rear. The Clio looks like someone walked by and yanked a piece of trim off, leaving a void.

Pleased to see you can get actual colours on the Clio (though the previous model wasn't so bad in this respect), and also that Renault has given the interior some brighter surfaces and coloured accents. Some rivals do it too, albeit not as neatly as this, but most have strayed too far down the dull paintwork/dull interior path.

Full LED headlights on all versions. If true then must be some kind of first, kudos to Renault. It bugs me that most cars are specced with halogen headlights.

I don't like the shape of Clio IV, so it's a shame to see V is an evolution. Renault has some dull design going on right now.

VXR
I don't like the shape of Clio IV, so it's a shame to see V is an evolution. Renault has some dull design going on right now.
To me it's not dull at all - Renault's range is one of the more attractive in the current market, I'd have said, and there's a consistent look to the range without everything looking like different sizes of the same car.

Always quite liked the look of the current Clio, particularly in Renault Sport form, so I quite like this evolution - but the interior seems to be the biggest step on certainly.

I must say, that crease that starts in the side of the hood and follows the greenhouse all the way back is really doing it for me. Definitely not dull.

Clio V facelift revealed, now only available with an E-Tech hybrid powertrain, dropping pure-ICE options in the UK. (Petrol/Diesel/LPG options still available in other markets)

renault-clio-facelift-2023.jpg

Last edited:
This is probably the only Clio I don’t like. It’s like dressing up an old car to a hover conversion, for Back to the Future 2.

I didn't realise they'd gone back to an older style Renault logo... probably the only change I really like about it, and its not even a specific design feature of the car that they'd changed.

Best looking Clios in my opinion are 1990-1996 mk1 (especially 16v, Williams and Baccara) and mark 4 estates. Still, no Clio is as pretty as R5s.

Looks pretty good. Better than the pre-facelift or Clio IV, but I still don't like how they hide the rear door handles. Just either hide the front door handles too or put the same handle to front and rear doors (or even better, remove the rear doors entirely😝).

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Better than the pre-facelift or Clio IV, but I still don't like how they hide the rear door handles. Just either hide the front door handles too or put the same handle to front and rear doors (or even better, remove the rear doors entirely😝).
3 door hatchbacks are basically gone, besides the smaller ones like Mini. I am still surprised that they are almost extinct.

The only concession I'll give it is that the Mitsubishi badging on the back is kind of reminiscent of the badging on the old Mirage (known as a Colt over here), so there is some sort of synergy there with a past model.

0502694A30221216W00117.jpg

But let's be honest, that's probably more of a happy accident that an actual design factor they thought of. It doesn't look as bad as their Captur rebadge, but it is still pretty shoddy. On the plus side, they could easily restyle the RS model and have a Ralliart version if they ever needed to drum up more sales / interest.

Last edited:
Back