Renault Megane Trophy Nürburgring Challenge?

• Thread starter Wudang8
  • 151 comments
Denmark
Vejle
Wudang8
Hi, Not sure if I'm in the right spot with this one.. been searching through the forum, but haven't found any similar threads on the challenge?

In the current Renault Megane Trophy Challenge on Nürburgring I have tuned my car in various ways, but I constantly see everyone else just pull away and I have noticed their engine revs are very different from mine.
I know the track, I know the basics of tuning, I'm a pretty stable driver, but I just can't get the speed up on my car in this challenge :(

Any Tuning advice are most welcome :)

Cheers

Silly question time! You have added power up to the 530pp limit right?

You can also add an upgraded clutch and flywheel, but I'm not sure if that makes much if any difference...

haha... I just assume everyone knows about upping the HP & then power-limiting down.

But I have seen some people in QM who I think are OVERDOING IT.
They wind up off track a lot, and don't really gain time on the straights overall.
Sure, they can get going again faster... but then just fall off again.
6 of one, half dozen of another?
If you're a real expert driver, it probably works. But if you're a real expert driver, you don't need that to beat most people in a QM anyhow.

I've not really noticed any faster cars as such, well apart from when they are in the slipstream! I guess you could add 200KG of ballast and a whole load more horsepower but I suspect the car would be a pig to drive and probably slower overall...Something to try later I guess ;)

I think the biggest problem is that people brake too late and struggle to get the car stopped, even if the corner has been made, a good line cant be carried and corner speed is slow, this then reflects in speed carried out of the corner and onto the next straight.

Preparation helps as well, I'll usually run a few laps before jumping into the melee, just to get myself into the right place and get acquainted with the car and track without having to worry about the madness that goes on in quick match at times. Knowledge FTW :D

Thanks guys... I'll try Watermelons tune link there :) (Sorry, Graveltraps tune link !!)
My problem isn't staying on the track (except when one of the nutballs forgets that brakes are there for a reason and bumps me into the next galaxy) and I corner pretty well.. It's powering down the straights and then get overtaken by one of those very nutballs who was careening wildly off-course and off-track two corners back.
Even starting out at pole and hitting the start spot-on I was just left behind..

I've added tripple-clutch and all that, intake and exhaust tuning, added all the engine tunings and fiddled around with all of it to find a nice combo.. played around with ride height, springs, stability and all that, but still I can literally hear the other cars revving more high-pitched and faster than me.. So yes, I've tried upping the HP and powerlimiting down ;)

I use the standard (yellow) Megane Trophy, not the Base Model or the Anniversary edition.. they should be the same except for options in paint and styling, but not tuning.

Last edited:
Had a go on this today :dopey:....tuning the car in between races :lol:...👍

Not sure if this is optimum power.....but, this is what I found worked ok 👍.

Megane Trophy Base Model '11

530pp, 406bhp, 955kg.

No oil, No rigidity improvement.

65/65
12.00/13.50
4/4
5/5
7/7
0/0
-0.05/0

Brakes 7/8

Trans

Initial FG: 4400
Max speed 112mph (min)
1: 3900
2: 2600
3: 2176
4: 1820
5: 1563
6: 1333
FG: 3000

LSD: 5/12/5. Triple clutch.

Power 91%. stage 3 Engine.

DF 135.

Hope it helps out 👍.

:cheers:

The tune I linked to is @graveltrap 's tune. 👍

It's powering down the straights and then get overtaken by one of those very nutballs who was careening wildly off-course and off-track two corners back.

Yeah that's annoying isn't it? Off-roading without punishment is a big pet peeve of mine. :grumpy:

But part of the issue is that you have to remember, this car doesn't mind being in the sand. :( (I wish there was glue in the sand! That'd fix the nutballs' wagons! :lol:)
The only real "punishment" is if you get hooked up on a curb, or slide into the grass.
The sand doesn't seem to slow the car much. I saw people cutting through the sand, and not getting penalties, and popping out of the sand very easily.
This is not true of all cars on Nurb GP/F. :boggled:

I use the standard (yellow) Megane Trophy, not the Base Model or the Anniversary edition.. they should be the same except for options in paint and styling, but not tuning.
Yeah I'm not really sure.
I don't have all 3, I only have the Anniv. ed. So I just know the "on paper" looks the same for the Base Model and standard.
And the Anniv. comes already better... Because well, in stock condition it needs to be power limited for the QM.
But I can't honestly say that I ever noticed Anniv. edition cars doing any better in the QM races generally.

That said, the description of the QM says "identical cars". :rolleyes:
My spouse mistook that to mean "tuning prohibited" (and I was racing tuning prohibited at first! lol). :(

Here's my latest set-up.

Renault Sport Megane Trophy Base Model.

No oil change
No rigidity improvement
Racing Soft Tyres
Triple Plate Clutch
Stage 3 Engine
Intake Tuning

530 PP
400 BHP
50.6 kgfm
959 kg
49 : 51 weight distiribution

Suspension :
58 / 60
10.00 / 11.00
3 / 2
5 / 4
7 / 5
0.00 / 0.00
-0.05 / +0.10

Brakes :
4 / 3

Diff :
5 / 15 / 10

Power :
84.8% power limiter

Body :
4kg at -50%

Downforce :
140 rear

Transmission :
Reset to Default
Set Final Gear 5.000
Set Max. Speed 180km/h (112mph)
1st : 3.250
2nd : 2.500
3rd : 2.020
4th : 1.650
5th : 1.360
6th : 1.160
Set Final Gear 3.300

Notes :
Leave Transmission set-up until last, and do in steps shown above.
Tune done using G27 wheel, manual gears, all aids off except ABS 1.
Best laps :
First - 1:59.0xx
Flying - 1:54.4xx
Best race time :
5:48.2xx

Thanks Aussie_HSV
I'll try that one out as well.. There's been a few other suggestions that I've tried out, but they didn't really seem to fit my driving and fiddling around with them haven't gotten me below 1.59ish..
I did manage to secure a first 2 times in a row, but since there were only 4 other drivers who spent most of their time sightseeing the track from somewhere closer to the specator stands than me, it just doesn't seem to count ;)

But a shout out to Graveltrap and SW_10 for your contributions and Watermelon for pointing me in the right direction! Your help is appreciated :)

Been away from driving for almost a year, so I gather I'm a bit rusty behind the wheel ;)
I use an old G25 wheel with a Playseat that's damn near 10 yrs old..

Having a go at it again later today :)

Cheers

I was going to post about my experience with the tunes by @SW_10 and @Aussie_HSV.
However, my game has frozen three times today during QM races. The last time cost me over 11 million credits!
All total I have lost over 13 million credits today due to the game freezing. Has anyone else had problems today?
When I cool off (probably tomorrow) I will post about the tunes. Hint: they are fast!

Wudang8, if you are an aggressive driver like I am maybe you'll like to try some of what worked for me? Basically if you notice the rear of The car unloading entering and or exiting turns then stiffen the front of the car to reduce or eliminate it. When the back suspension is much stiffer than the front, the front roll will cause the snap feeling that unloads the rear tires and makes it darty.
Try stiffer front sway bar first, then stiffen springs if 7 doesn't tame the car enough for how hard you're pushing. Worked for me. It seems a tiny bit slower then the super fast guys, but way less trouble to drive and get decent times with. 1:55-1:57 depending on your ability to get it exactly how you like.

I also seem to get much more traction with less camber. I'm running 3/0.

One thing I've noticed in QMs... sometimes you get black screen upon race end. And people tend to quit the room. But if you wait, it turns up again. One time it was about 3-4 minutes. :eek: But it came back.
I have had this happen many times. Today the game froze during three races and required turning off the console.

Been trying to get on to the servers for the Renault Megan race for days now and I just can't get connected. This is ridiculous. First time I tried I had some great races, but now I can't even get to race at all. Fed up of getting booted out or the game crashing!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

TonyB66, Sometimes it takes 4, 5, or even 6 tries. Have to be stubborn. Try getting on during off times, like when it's late, or early morning...depending on what part of the world happens to be playing you might get on easier.

I have gotten booted without collecting my credits so many times, it has to be a total 6 or 7 million lost credits. POOF!

It's definitely spotty. And annoying disconnects are common in QM, especially during weekends & high traffic times.
Sometimes it gets hung up. If you get a black screen, don't be so quick to turn the machine off, because it most often clears.

Extra 200kg brings 50 more BHP and is roughly 2 seconds a lap slower for me...

I tried this in testing also and didn't give any advantage -- you can adjust the transmission to help some but you can get the acceleration or hold the top end as you enter the corners. It also makes it more difficult to get on the power out of a corner without being squirrely.

Weight doesn't seem to make anything better other than beating and banging. Which there is plenty of from 4th place down in my experience, lol.

But...
Frustrating spending a lap and a half trying to get around somene clean, then once you do they push you into the sand. That's why they say nice guys finish 5th? Or something like that.

Had a guy use the slam the brakes and give them a penalty for trying to pass you on the straight, trick. Worked. But next race won with a 5:54.02 and beat the same guy by 21 seconds, so...

It's still fun, as long as I keep repeating to myself, video game, video game, video game. lol

Yeah really, and then after they bump you off you're back on their bumper in 2-3 corners if they didn't manage to take you out completely lol. The sadder thing is the people that are somewhat decent but still drive like this. Sad because they are fast enough to smell victory but not fast enough to win without rough driving.

This event will hone your situational awareness to razor sharp keenness over time if I let it. Must avoid frustration at all cost.

That said here is my strategy.
In the early stages get the car a bit out of shape throughout the first 3-5 turns. (A bit of over braking, over steering the apex and aggressive throttle on exit)
Your aim is to get your car to loose traction at a manageable level but cause the car to ghost. That way the bangers will sail right on through you and overshoot their exit. Bad for them, good for you.
Once the Yahoos are a second or more back your next objective is overtaking and there is little to be done with brake checkers and pit maneuver opponents once you get close enough to become their victim. A bit of early over braking might ghost you through a brake checker on occasion, then they might get out of shape and overshoot their entrance. If they spin or bounce back onto the track you are probably a goner for that edition take your 200+K and saddle up for the next one.

I have seen some participants go into AI driver mode and become a rolling hazard, they never get to the pit entrance to clear the track in this event.

BTW every million or so back out to do a game save. No need to ask me how I know this!:ouch:

Good ideas on forced ghosting, but I'm in front-bumper or cockpit view so I don't know how apparent it is when I'm a ghost. I'm still trying to figure out the ramming algorithm to avoid becoming the victim. Seems to favor the car with the inside line regardless of who was in the lead, but there's another variable in there that I haven't identified. Momentum, moxie...?

On a positive note: last night I ended up in a two-person field for several races in a row. Pretty evenly matched and not one penalty. Even when I lost I got around 350K. What a honey hole!

Good ideas on forced ghosting, but I'm in front-bumper or cockpit view so I don't know how apparent it is when I'm a ghost. I'm still trying to figure out the ramming algorithm to avoid becoming the victim. Seems to favor the car with the inside line regardless of who was in the lead, but there's another variable in there that I haven't identified. Momentum, moxie...?

On a positive note: last night I ended up in a two-person field for several races in a row. Pretty evenly matched and not one penalty. Even when I lost I got around 350K. What a honey hole!
I drive bumper cam as well I become aware when they slide right through.

Thanks guys... I'll try Watermelons tune link there :) (Sorry, Graveltraps tune link !!)
My problem isn't staying on the track (except when one of the nutballs forgets that brakes are there for a reason and bumps me into the next galaxy) and I corner pretty well.. It's powering down the straights and then get overtaken by one of those very nutballs who was careening wildly off-course and off-track two corners back.
Even starting out at pole and hitting the start spot-on I was just left behind..

I've added tripple-clutch and all that, intake and exhaust tuning, added all the engine tunings and fiddled around with all of it to find a nice combo.. played around with ride height, springs, stability and all that, but still I can literally hear the other cars revving more high-pitched and faster than me.. So yes, I've tried upping the HP and powerlimiting down ;)

Traction control on 0 ?

Finally, here is my experience with the tunes by @SW__10 and Aussie_HSV. I tried each tune by doing 3 laps at the track used for this challenge using the arcade time trial mode. My base "tune" included mods to power, transmission, downforce and ballast. The suspension and drivetrain were at default settings.
Best lap times:
Base tune - 1:55.506
Aussie tune - 1:54.764
SW tune - 1:54.621
Combo Aussie and SW tune - 1:54.086! That is almost an 1.5 second improvement.
I then went racing with my new setup. The car handled a bit differently online but I was able to slowly lower my lap times from 1:55 - 1:56 to 1:54.5. Then the game froze during a race.
I then started a new race session and did about 25 races in a row. I was able to start doing consistent laps in the 1:53.9xx - 1:54.xxx range with first laps at 1:59.xxx and race times at 5:47.8xx to 5:48.xxx.
Then disaster struck! The game froze again during a race and forced me to shut off the console and I lost over 11 million credits. End of QM races for a couple of days.
These are my best race times to date:
First lap - 1:58.500
Fastest lap - 1:52.760
Total race time - 5:46.344
Thanks to @SW__10 and @Aussie_HSV for sharing their tunes with the community!

jlbmel, we would, or I would, like to see those settings? Fast stuff right there! I am still hunting the elusive 1:54 lap, but using a controller has been MY excuse. Heh.

That said here is my strategy.
In the early stages get the car a bit out of shape throughout the first 3-5 turns. (A bit of over braking, over steering the apex and aggressive throttle on exit)
Your aim is to get your car to loose traction at a manageable level but cause the car to ghost. That way the bangers will sail right on through you and overshoot their exit. Bad for them, good for you.
Once the Yahoos are a second or more back your next objective is overtaking and there is little to be done with brake checkers and pit maneuver opponents once you get close enough to become their victim. A bit of early over braking might ghost you through a brake checker on occasion, then they might get out of shape and overshoot their entrance. If they spin or bounce back onto the track you are probably a goner for that edition take your 200+K and saddle up for the next one.

haha... yes, this is almost exactly my strategy too.

If the room is full of nutballs... I early brake & nearly get up on 2 wheels all through T1 through T4 on the first lap.
And that early stomp on the brake really catches out people who will try to use you as a brake at T7... they'll go sailing through your ghosted car & into the sand.
I started noticing early on that a lot of punting had happened at T7. I can only assume there's something about doing it there that makes it 'worth it'. :odd: So now that I do that, I then watch loads of people shoot through me at the turn, and go off in the sand.
Of course afterward, remember who they are, because the next race, they'll be gunning for you on T1. :rolleyes: :lol:

I also sometimes use that early brake & lose traction heading into the chicane if there's someone really on my tail that I'm worried is going to shove me into the boxes.

Another tip for getting punted into the boxes at the chicane... once you're hit & propelled forward, don't try to steer left back onto the track to go around the chicane, just stay pointed forward and try to shove your way through the boxes. If you've just been hit, and do it that way, it doesn't seem to give you a penalty.

Back