Rennsport - New eSports Focused Sim

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 104 comments
People cheat when there’s nothing on the line (this came up this past weekend with the Daytona 24). I like the idea of a prize fund, but it’s only going to lead to blood in the water.

Also after the issues R-factor had with the Le Mans series, it’s pretty brave to do this on a brand new and untested game. This has a high probability of ending in disaster.

The issue with rFactor 2 was that it was a game wholly unsuited for prime time, that was forced into it by a company on a crumbling empire of sand who are basically using the prior work in a stolen valour way.

I guess there's the real concern that it could turn into a disaster considering Rennsport is untested, but I don't feel comparing it to rF2 is relevant.

When will they understand that sim racing is not compatible with esport? Like most of real life racing it's boring to watch but...even...more boring. No views = no sponsors in the long run. They seem to take the covid lockdown data as reference. But in normal circumstances, most of players prefer driving not watching. Also most of sim racers are grown man with limited amount of time so they prefer use the time for few races, chilling by cruising, drifting or modding.

When will they understand that sim racing is not compatible with esport? Like most of real life racing it's boring to watch but...even...more boring. No views = no sponsors in the long run. They seem to take the covid lockdown data as reference. But in normal circumstances, most of players prefer driving not watching. Also most of sim racers are grown man with limited amount of time so they prefer use the time for few races, chilling by cruising, drifting or modding.
Kinda agree with this. There was a brief period where I watched the Gran Turismo events but those got old after a while. There’s rarely any real drama in these sim races, and they usually don’t have things like safety cars to mix things up so the races end up being pretty boring.

Kinda agree with this. There was a brief period where I watched the Gran Turismo events but those got old after a while. There’s rarely any real drama in these sim races, and they usually don’t have things like safety cars to mix things up so the races end up being pretty boring.
I quite enjoy the GT live events, but can't be bothered to sit down and watch a real world race so can't really say I understand this perspective as much.

I feel like post-lockdown esports streams have kinda taught us that this "top level esports!" stuff isn't really something most people are that interested in on its own and instead it relies on following someone competing in it. Watching along with someone who is talking to their chat and you can root for or relate to seems to be much more valuable than being the best in the world when it comes to this stuff.

Jimmy Broadbent is the perfect example, his streams from 2nd or 3rd split often have 3x (or more) the viewer count of the official iRacing top split streams, and likewise with several other streamers. The individual streamers' coverage of the Porsche "All-Stars" or whatever series with all the streamers participating often had around twice as many views as the actual proper Supercup... Contender series? Whatever it was called, the one for the top guys.

That doesn't mean we need to know more about the top esports competitors though, as trying to force us to care about them won't work. That has to be brought up organically or whatever you want to call it, which is why it works for guys like Broadbent and Jardier and Quirk and so on, who entertain and engage their audiences. Of course, it doesn't help when several top esports guys have revealed themselves to be toxic, arrogant douchebags and/or perfectly willing to make a mockery of an event for their own benefit, and there is a reason why people know guys like Dave Cam and GamerMuscle but can't name more than 2 top level guys, if any.

I would think their $500k in prize money would probably earn more eyes and positive attention for the game if it was spread out more, with more splits and smaller prizes where everyone has a place to compete. That $500k could pay out $100 to 5,000 players and give lots of people a chance to compete for a prize, making a lot more people interested in getting the game to participate. Having a chance for the game to pay for itself even when you aren't top 100 in the world seems like it would appealing to many. I dunno maybe I'm off-base here, but as someone who does actually watch like 2 or 3 esports things (which seems to be more than nearly anyone else I know), I won't watch this Rennsport series and it doesn't make me care any more or less about the game than I did before... But if myself or some of my friends could be involved and competing for prizes, I'd be interested.

Of course putting money on the line for all those people might just make things even worse with more dirty driving, exploits and terrible attitudes... But at least in the lower skill lobbies it could be funny.

Y
I feel like post-lockdown esports streams have kinda taught us that this "top level esports!" stuff isn't really something most people are that interested in on its own and instead it relies on following someone competing in it. Watching along with someone who is talking to their chat and you can root for or relate to seems to be much more valuable than being the best in the world when it comes to this stuff.

Jimmy Broadbent is the perfect example, his streams from 2nd or 3rd split often have 3x (or more) the viewer count of the official iRacing top split streams, and likewise with several other streamers. The individual streamers' coverage of the Porsche "All-Stars" or whatever series with all the streamers participating often had around twice as many views as the actual proper Supercup... Contender series? Whatever it was called, the one for the top guys.

That doesn't mean we need to know more about the top esports competitors though, as trying to force us to care about them won't work. That has to be brought up organically or whatever you want to call it, which is why it works for guys like Broadbent and Jardier and Quirk and so on, who entertain and engage their audiences. Of course, it doesn't help when several top esports guys have revealed themselves to be toxic, arrogant douchebags and/or perfectly willing to make a mockery of an event for their own benefit, and there is a reason why people know guys like Dave Cam and GamerMuscle but can't name more than 2 top level guys, if any.

I would think their $500k in prize money would probably earn more eyes and positive attention for the game if it was spread out more, with more splits and smaller prizes where everyone has a place to compete. That $500k could pay out $100 to 5,000 players and give lots of people a chance to compete for a prize, making a lot more people interested in getting the game to participate. Having a chance for the game to pay for itself even when you aren't top 100 in the world seems like it would appealing to many. I dunno maybe I'm off-base here, but as someone who does actually watch like 2 or 3 esports things (which seems to be more than nearly anyone else I know), I won't watch this Rennsport series and it doesn't make me care any more or less about the game than I did before... But if myself or some of my friends could be involved and competing for prizes, I'd be interested.

Of course putting money on the line for all those people might just make things even worse with more dirty driving, exploits and terrible attitudes... But at least in the lower skill lobbies it could be funny.
Yeah,racing esports had a wonky growth compared to other esports.
By the time GT tried it's hand on esports Jimmy Broadbent was already quite popular and so were other streamers.
Also doesn't help that racing itself isn't that big so it's easier for influencers to take away the spotlight.I don't think Fifa or Madden would suffer from the same problem.

It looks really nice. Lets hope this project will really be new iRacing to end this "sim racing" stagnation.

Simracing stagnation ? 😂

Rennsport will be an Esports Sim and thats it. Give me nothing as Simracer.

Simracing stagnation ? 😂

Rennsport will be an Esports Sim and thats it. Give me nothing as Simracer.
I was talking about ESport scene. Look at it. It is still iRacing/RFactor 2 all the way. The only breath of fresh air is ACC.
So I am really happy with rennsport

I was talking about ESport scene. Look at it. It is still iRacing/RFactor 2 all the way. The only breath of fresh air is ACC.
So I am really happy with rennsport

Iracing and rFactor 2 (mainly iracing though) dominate the scene because they're superior to almost everything else. In particular iracing, it just does it better. I see no reason Rennsport will change that, particularly given they appeared to only be capable of 12 car races.

The world really didn't need another GT3 esport capable sim.

This title just seems uninspiring and I get the impression a lot of YouTubers are forcing their excitement. They acting all excited about content we already have access to in other games.

😬

1678739920009.png

Last edited:
The fact that this first beta (there's still two more beta stages to go) is already six months late is not encouraging for a 2023 release.

Allied with the fact nobody's seemed to care about it in the slightest for over two months - the last post here was about ESL_R1 round three, and there's been five more since then, with precisely no posts about the Spring Major this weekend where there's a $250,000 prize pot - is... well, let's say concerning.

I was going to be at the Spring Major - Rennsport did invite me to the event, which was nice of them - but several factors prevented it (also I have friendly contacts who are already attending, as with last year). If I'd known there'd be this little interest, I might not have even bothered trying, which is a shame because it seemed interesting to me...

However, I'm wondering how much of the lack of interest is down to ESL_R1 itself, and the impression the title gives that it's just another GT3 racing sim just for the elite players on pro esports teams.

While the Mission R and now the Praga R1 obviously show that it isn't just GT3 cars, the title's only public exposure is three GT3 racing cars and three (now four, if you noticed Monza being added this weekend) European GT3 racing circuits, with only the elite players on pro esports teams (four of which aren't racing esports teams, but have set up squads just for this) taking part.

I mean, look at the view counts here:

1685810287339.png

Or live right now at the $250,000 season-ending Major:

1685810345926.png

We got as many views on GTPLeague's live streams as ESL_R1, without the backing of ESL (or the other brands with interests in it). And we also had Williams and Team Redline :lol:

I don't know what they can do to dispel this, but I don't think exclusively looping-in "content creators" and handing out codes to sim-racing influencers with wheels that cost more than my car will help, nor will another season of GT3 racing.

And that's before we even get to the whole "digital ownership" thing, which is still very much unexplained.

I don't know what they can do to dispel this
Perhaps if they were to adopt a more Squid Game approach to their $250,000 prize pot where "Only 12 will survive" the viewing figures would improve. 🙂

Seriously though, I think there maybe some 'same cars, same tracks' fatigue involved.

The fact that this first beta (there's still two more beta stages to go) is already six months late is not encouraging for a 2023 release.

Allied with the fact nobody's seemed to care about it in the slightest for over two months - the last post here was about ESL_R1 round three, and there's been five more since then, with precisely no posts about the Spring Major this weekend where there's a $250,000 prize pot - is... well, let's say concerning.

I was going to be at the Spring Major - Rennsport did invite me to the event, which was nice of them - but several factors prevented it (also I have friendly contacts who are already attending, as with last year). If I'd known there'd be this little interest, I might not have even bothered trying, which is a shame because it seemed interesting to me...

However, I'm wondering how much of the lack of interest is down to ESL_R1 itself, and the impression the title gives that it's just another GT3 racing sim just for the elite players on pro esports teams.

While the Mission R and now the Praga R1 obviously show that it isn't just GT3 cars, the title's only public exposure is three GT3 racing cars and three (now four, if you noticed Monza being added this weekend) European GT3 racing circuits, with only the elite players on pro esports teams (four of which aren't racing esports teams, but have set up squads just for this) taking part.

I mean, look at the view counts here:

View attachment 1262125

Or live right now at the $250,000 season-ending Major:

View attachment 1262126

We got as many views on GTPLeague's live streams as ESL_R1, without the backing of ESL (or the other brands with interests in it). And we also had Williams and Team Redline :lol:

I don't know what they can do to dispel this, but I don't think exclusively looping-in "content creators" and handing out codes to sim-racing influencers with wheels that cost more than my car will help, nor will another season of GT3 racing.

And that's before we even get to the whole "digital ownership" thing, which is still very much unexplained.
I think this is proving what many suspected, that a sizeable chunk of the sim racing community simply don’t care about esports.

This is also a title from an unknown publisher on PC only with little to no paid media support.

It’s just really hard for them to get eyeballs on their game when iRacing, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Forza Motorsport, F1 23 and Gran Turismo 7 exist.

For any racing title to stand out vs that competition it need to either be completely unique, backed by a big publisher or offering something far better than its competitors, and at the moment I don’t think their messaging has achieved this.

To the layman who casually plays racing games, this comes across as “just another game with GT3 cars and tracks”.

If the game isn’t aiming to be a million-seller and just wants to build a strong platform for esports events then fair enough, but looking from the outside-in, I don’t think it’s even achieving that right now.

I wish them the best of luck but this game is a hard sell.

Last edited:
I've heard some interesting things about the backing, some of it with multiple sources and a suggestive connection or two, but nothing I can prove right now.
Interesting, curious as to who may be involved. Nobody comes to mind except maybe Ubisoft since they seem like the kind to try anything.

I’m thinking more the EA/Microsoft/Sony kind of publisher, ones that have the resources and expertise to guarantee loads of eyeballs on a game. I’ve witnessed the EA effect first-hand with F1, as I worked on games both before and after the acquisition.

Last edited:
Back