Renown Tuning ™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to give a bit of a heads-up before the inevitable happens:

I will not be doing a garage for Shift 2 because I hate each and every last one of you, and I wish you'd all get bitten by a bear trap. :lol:

I kid. I'll definitely be doing a garage for Shift 2 under the same name (despite it having officially changed to "True Force") and will open up a reserve thread sometime next month.

My prayers have been answered :bowdown:

:P

I'll also write up a tuning guide/tutorial when the game is still brimming of awesome so I can actually finish it this time. As it's been known for a while now I started the guide/tutorial right around the time I was losing interest in the game and that reflected upon the guide.

Couple of quick questions if I may.

1. Do you use multiturn in your wheel settings?

2. Which wheel do your settings pair with? Or should they suit all wheels?

Thanks

Couple of quick questions if I may.

1. Do you use multiturn in your wheel settings?

2. Which wheel do your settings pair with? Or should they suit all wheels?

Thanks

1. Primarily, no.

2. All of my tunes were primarily used (and made) with a controller, however, considering my driving style is fairly aggressive it's suited to wheels as well. I forget which, but a handful were made in conjunction with the G25 (when I had one) and the 360's controller.

Do you think you are likely to get a wheel for Shift 2, now that they are talking seriously about fixing the issues with it (that didn't affect pad users)?

Do you think you are likely to get a wheel for Shift 2, now that they are talking seriously about fixing the issues with it (that didn't affect pad users)?

I already have a wheel. :)

But you said your tunes are primarily pad based.

Is that because you are faster on a pad?

No, it's because I brought it for the 360 and at that time I don't believe I had my G25 yet. I have a DFGT now because thr G25 had a rather unfortunate passing.

I look forward to seeing whether any of your new tunes will be different as you try to play Shift 2 with both the wheel and the pad. I have often felt that I could spot pad tunes, as they tended to exploit the tendency to jam the stick over and under-steer or over-steer through corners, rather than shoot for a neutral handling.

That tendency to be able to go from hard left to hard right in the flick of a joystick, as opposed to several turns of the wheel allowed pad tunes to be more aggressive, I think...

How about taking some of your first tunes, made on a pad, then seeing if a different setup makes you faster with the wheel? Have you gone back and tried that with Shift 1 yet?

Just wanted to give a bit of a heads-up before the inevitable happens:

I will not be doing a garage for Shift 2 because I hate each and every last one of you, and I wish you'd all get bitten by a bear trap. :lol:

I kid. I'll definitely be doing a garage for Shift 2 under the same name (despite it having officially changed to "True Force") and will open up a reserve thread sometime next month.

Very very nice to know that! I played shift on a pc with a keyboard and your settings worked just fine! This time with more confidence in the game I'll get the ps3 version and will enjoy it with a wheel. So much wish to try out your tunes again!

I see in your first post that you mentioned that you'll move on to GT5 once the opportunity presents itself. I don't however seem to have noticed your name in the GT5 tuning subforum - have I missed something?

Very very nice to know that! I played shift on a pc with a keyboard and your settings worked just fine! This time with more confidence in the game I'll get the ps3 version and will enjoy it with a wheel. So much wish to try out your tunes again!

I see in your first post that you mentioned that you'll move on to GT5 once the opportunity presents itself. I don't however seem to have noticed your name in the GT5 tuning subforum - have I missed something?

Not at all. There are two reasons for that:

1. I avoid the GT section at all costs because it's littered with ignorance, foolishness, and stupidity.

2. I just don't play GT5 much at all anymore. It's boring as 🤬.

Not at all. There are two reasons for that:

1. I avoid the GT section at all costs because it's littered with ignorance, foolishness, and stupidity.

2. I just don't play GT5 much at all anymore. It's boring as 🤬.

:P

I sure liked both games but I have to say I love GT5 more than Shift primarily because of the online portion of the game. I just can't get any proper online racing on Shift. Hope this all changes with the sequel!

I look forward to seeing whether any of your new tunes will be different as you try to play Shift 2 with both the wheel and the pad. I have often felt that I could spot pad tunes, as they tended to exploit the tendency to jam the stick over and under-steer or over-steer through corners, rather than shoot for a neutral handling.

That tendency to be able to go from hard left to hard right in the flick of a joystick, as opposed to several turns of the wheel allowed pad tunes to be more aggressive, I think...

How about taking some of your first tunes, made on a pad, then seeing if a different setup makes you faster with the wheel? Have you gone back and tried that with Shift 1 yet?

As stated before, a good deal of my tunes were either made in conjunction with a wheel, or improved to some degree with feedback from those who used wheels on a daily basis. Answer to your question is yes either way. :)

Do you have a list of which ones were made with the wheel, or improved for the wheel? Sorry if I am missing something obvious, it is just that, last time I took a look at them, I didn't see any mention of a wheel, but then again, I didn't look at them ALL...

And, was there anything in general that you found yourself doing to change a pad tune to a wheel tune..? You know, like add x amount of camber, or raise front tire pressure such and such an amount, or things like that. I know it is going to be specific for each car, but where there TRENDS in tuning changes from pad to wheel?

That would be good info to know...

Do you have a list of which ones were made with the wheel, or improved for the wheel? Sorry if I am missing something obvious, it is just that, last time I took a look at them, I didn't see any mention of a wheel, but then again, I didn't look at them ALL...

And, was there anything in general that you found yourself doing to change a pad tune to a wheel tune..? You know, like add x amount of camber, or raise front tire pressure such and such an amount, or things like that. I know it is going to be specific for each car, but where there TRENDS in tuning changes from pad to wheel?

That would be good info to know...

First things first, only I can double post in my thread. No one else. :P :lol:

Secondly, no, I don't remember any particular tunes that were done with one or the other, if not both. Finally, and if I'm to be honest, there really were no trends or major adjustments to be made. It was all down to the individual request; one might ask for a bit more lift-off oversteer, another might ask for it to be as stable as possible without understeering like it were being weighed down with 3 ton bricks.

The new garage goes live March 28th. :)

And the WTC will also go live on the 28th, so for all those familiar with it, or, those who want to try it seats are available starting.....now!

Still curious about wheel vs. pad tunes...

Your last answer seemed to indicate your tunes were as a response to OTHER people's requests, but you also pointed out that now you play with a wheel, while you USED to play with a pad... What were you faster on? And did you generally use your pad tuning unaltered when you got the wheel, or were there any things you did specifically for YOU (not someone else)..?

Still curious about wheel vs. pad tunes...

Your last answer seemed to indicate your tunes were as a response to OTHER people's requests, but you also pointed out that now you play with a wheel, while you USED to play with a pad... What were you faster on? And did you generally use your pad tuning unaltered when you got the wheel, or were there any things you did specifically for YOU (not someone else)..?

I was quite a bit faster using the 360's controller, believe it or not. Using a wheel was extremely off putting because the steering was too loose for my tastes, and considering the amount of time I put into adjusting the deadzones and sensitivities just right for the pad, you can imagine I didn't put up with the discomfort for very long. As for whether or not I changed any of the settings for myself during the brief moment I was using a wheel, other than deadzone and sensitvity adjustments, no, nothing at all.

It's worth noting that I used a wheel with the PS3 and PC copy of the game and both of the experiences were the same: lacking.

But from an accuracy point of view, I always have problems with pad implementations. Being able to flick over from hard lock left to hard lock right virtually instantaneously is something you can't do in ANY car whatsoever. And especially in a car with the standard 900º rotation. So, in the end, you end up exploiting physics bugs that simply can't reflect real life driving, and using the tires in a way that you'll never be able to do on the road.

You might be able to coax a bit more speed out of it with the pad, but only at the expense of your tires (which Shift never modeled wear at all). Have you done much tuning for GT5, and tested it against the wheel, when doing long enough races that tire wear actually becomes a big factor? I've got a feeling that some of those pad tricks start to work against you once tire scrubbing becomes a major part of the race...

But from an accuracy point of view, I always have problems with pad implementations. Being able to flick over from hard lock left to hard lock right virtually instantaneously is something you can't do in ANY car whatsoever. And especially in a car with the standard 900º rotation. So, in the end, you end up exploiting physics bugs that simply can't reflect real life driving, and using the tires in a way that you'll never be able to do on the road.

You might be able to coax a bit more speed out of it with the pad, but only at the expense of your tires (which Shift never modeled wear at all). Have you done much tuning for GT5, and tested it against the wheel, when doing long enough races that tire wear actually becomes a big factor? I've got a feeling that some of those pad tricks start to work against you once tire scrubbing becomes a major part of the race...

Not really sure what you're driving toward with the first statement. Of course there are going to be minor discrepancies when using the pad, it has to be comfortable and easy to use no matter the peripheral at hand. 9 times out of 10 there's a fixed axis when using a pad to edge out the more sensitive reactions when driving. Why do you think it's so easy (relatively) to counter-steer?

As for GT5 I haven't done any extensive wheel testing and probably won't anytime soon considering I can barely be bothered to stare at the game for any longer than five minutes, but one thing I can say right now is the tuning isn't as dynamically-sound as it is in Forza. How could that be? Well, I have a habit of purposely "turning the wrench in the opposite direction" to see how it would react to a completely misfitted, ill-advised setup and it isn't as hectic as you'd probably imagine. With Forza the car would favor one side and actually trail in that direction, you can feel the weight being very unbalanced, and most importantly you can actually feel that the braking is way off it's mark. In GT5 it all feels too clinical, almost as if there are no consequences for improper tuning. :grumpy:

As for the whole tire thing don't even encourage me to comment on that....

You know I'm down for this, right? :D :lol:

That makes one thus far (myself not included).

I wonder if the old posse will catch wind of this, or maybe I should PM a few of 'em?

That makes one thus far (myself not included).

I wonder if the old posse will catch wind of this, or maybe I should PM a few of 'em?

Shift posse (whom of which I don't know), or Premo GT5 posse? I gotta ask, because the Premo GT5 posse is kind of unreliable (even me, I admit. I did miss one). They're probably too busy grinding up to level a'zillion. :lol:

Anyway, PM them.

So i just want to know one thing. In Shift there was better to use Pad or Wheel with your Tunes? I mean the best lap times were done on Pad or Wheel?

Shift posse (whom of which I don't know), or Premo GT5 posse? I gotta ask, because the Premo GT5 posse is kind of unreliable (even me, I admit. I did miss one). They're probably too busy grinding up to level a'zillion. :lol:

Anyway, PM them.

No, a bunch of chaps I know and raced with for a short period of time when the first one was released. They kept me busy asking for tunes on a daily basis. :P

So i just want to know one thing. In Shift there was better to use Pad or Wheel with your Tunes? I mean the best lap times were done on Pad or Wheel?

That's solely dependent on the one racing. I was able to keep up with or excel the wheel users on certain tracks so it was mostly down to preference. The one thing, or one track I had a significant (some would say unfair) advantage at was London River; I knew every corner, every braking point, and knew how to manhandle the cars around the corners without a significant loss in speed or power.

So, for me at least, the two were fairly even.

From September 2009, this forum is still going? Kudos, and great work. Lifesaver. is it sadthat i just found it 2 days ago? hah. and do you still accept requests? O.o for shift, i mean.

l will be " renting " a copy of Shift 2 after release .
l never ever buy games without a trial run first .
Speaking frankly , EA has a lot of work to do to win back my business.
( EA fix your crappy servers )
Anyway , that being said , if they don't screw it up too badly l would be down for another WTC competition. :)

l will be " renting " a copy of Shift 2 after release .
l never ever buy games without a trial run first .
Speaking frankly , EA has a lot of work to do to win back my business.
( EA fix your crappy servers )
Anyway , that being said , if they don't screw it up too badly l would be down for another WTC competition. :)

I really wish we had that. For some unknown reason, I am yet to find any store that rents games in Japan. It's annoying.

I'd play another WTC. I've been in and out of the Shift and F1 2010 ones. So yeah, I'm useless but I'm good for filling up the roster! :)

I've read rules and regulations for this unfamiliar WTC, and I'm also waiting for Shift: Unleashed because GT5 in on-line mode kind a sucks. I did play a little in Demo of the first shift and i was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back