Rent Servers from PD?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 51 comments
  • 5,557 views

Do youto rent out servers?


  • Total voters
    81
  • Poll closed .
We just need high speed broadband. Thats all.

;)
 
We just need high speed broadband. Thats all.

;)

Out of curiousity but im interested to see what broadband connections are available in other countries including your own.

Here in the UK we have 3 options.

1. ADSL Max 8mb down/448kbps up.
2. ADSL+2 via LLU 20mb down/2.5mb up.
3. Cable 50mb down/(don't know upload).

Also here in the UK BT are now upgrading to fibre optic. This means fibre optic from the street cabinets to exchange with copper from the street cabinet to home. This means speeds of 40mb down/10mb up will soon be available.
 
Well PD are good, but they are no gods. There will always be lag and there will always be disconnections. The laws of physics will remain and something somewhere will always happen to a phone line.

But aside from the obvious flaws in logic, no I don't see this as a good idea. Just open a room and leave your PS3 on for the same effect.

Phone line!:scared: 56k?!

C'mon its just 16 cars. Dedicated servers in NASCAR 2003 can handle 43 cars racing bumper to bumper door to door 3 wide 14 deep with no lag or disconnections, unless of course someone has a horrible connection or is downloading something in the background which is ultra rare.

Just leaving a PS3 on won't work for a few reasons. First I need access to my PS3. I can't have it dedicated to a server, I might want to watch a bluray or heck maybe even play a different game. 2nd my internet connection is not fast enough to host 16 cars. I am NEVER the host in GT5P. I don't got the power to host anything with my current connection.

3rd will my PS3 reset the room automatically without me being there? I doubt PD will setup a peer to peer service and give us tools to have our own created events recirculate automatically. Who knows, maybe they will give us tools to set a private hosted room into a loop. But for so many reasons I'd rather not do that.

I would much rather pay PD $ a month for a quality server I could control perhaps even from a laptop. I want stats sent to me through e-mail about the amount of drivers who participated in it, who wins, qualifying, everything.

For example the openspeedway.net server keeps track of all the stats run there and it spits it out here

http://www.openspeedway.net/standings/aug10standings.htm

I want something like that in GT5.

And if your still doubting, are you really going to trust Joe Blow's internet connection for that 12 or 24 hour race? On that thought NASCAR 2003 has a neat little feature that allows disconnected drivers to rejoin a race from pitlane but with a 1 lap penalty. Would really help out with the endurance races.

EDIT: One more thought, I dont understand all those who say the never encountered lag in GT5P. Maybe they've never been in 12+ car grids? Lag was a big problem in the early days of GT5P thanks to the bigger grids early in the game's life.
 
Phone line!:scared: 56k?!



EDIT: One more thought, I dont understand all those who say the never encountered lag in GT5P. Maybe they've never been in 12+ car grids? Lag was a big problem in the early days of GT5P thanks to the bigger grids early in the game's life.
I did at times if someone else was hosting which was rare. However 95% of the time I was selected as host which was obviously fine for me but also for others.

Have to say im always delighted to have the connection I have. Always selected as host in MW2 which gives me a huge advantage.
 
Phone line!:scared: 56k?!
I get 1.8MB/s on my phone line... They dont have adsl where you live?
C'mon its just 16 cars. Dedicated servers in NASCAR 2003 can handle 43 cars
Sure, but the PS3 wont be able to handle 43 cars unless it drops to a few frames per second.
with no lag or disconnections
There is ALWAYS lag, maybe it was not noticeable lag. Also consider that the game was nascar and everyone you were racing against was likely to be local. Try it with me racing beside you from Australia, add a guy from Japan and someone from the UK, then you will know what lag is.
 
There is ALWAYS lag, maybe it was not noticeable lag. Also consider that the game was nascar and everyone you were racing against was likely to be local. Try it with me racing beside you from Australia, add a guy from Japan and someone from the UK, then you will know what lag is.

I do feel sorry for gamers from Australia because your ping must be extremely high when connecting to a host who is from Europe for example. I know many from Australia moaned on the MW2 forums about lag. The thing that many need to remember is upload/download speeds means nothing because its the sheer distance between Australia and Europe that creates these problems due to the high ping.

Now playing on a dedicated server wouldn't make much difference unless the server was based in Australia and you were playing against people from Australia.

Don't take this the wrong way but Australia has to be one of the worst places to live if you like online gaming. Thats because a majority of the GT5 players tend to come from Europe. So even if the dedicated server was based in Europe you will still experience lag due to the high ping in connecting to the server that far away. Your best bet is to stick with fellow racers from Australia.
 
Would you like the ability to rent servers from PD, sort of like PC gaming?

You pay the monthly fee and you get a 24/7 server that you get complete control over. You set the track, number of laps, permitted cars and any other rules. You can even set the server on a rotation of cars and tracks combos. Password protected or open to the world.

An official PD server will be very fast, and will be able to handle 16 international drivers with no lag. There is also no threat of disconnections.

Renting a server will also help with league races. You won't have to rely on anyone's connection. Perhaps PD can have options where the server can be be automated and automatically start at set times for leagues so the administrator doesnt have to be there. The server may also record all the stats of the practice, qualifying and race sessions and e-mail it and the replays to whoever is renting the server.

Just wanting to see if anyone thinks this is a good idea, because I remember alot of lag problems in GT5P with 16 player online races and I think the ability to rent out servers will help out online racing leagues ALOT.

They should allow folks to rent any server from any company to run GT5 online! If this happens I will eat my hat! :dopey:
 
No need to rent, just run it on PD's GT5 servers.
 
As long as thier is LAN option I'll be a happy man. But I'm sure official competition events for GT Academy would probably run on their server to ensure a good race.
 
No.

Plus, im pretty sure that online servers will be free since GT5P had free updates...which sadly stopped at Spec3.
 
I don't get it, why rent a server, and pay extra for features that should come in a "Private race" option. You should be wishing for a feature to customize the race; Laps, cars, restrictions, penalties.. etc.

Maybe Im getting it wrong, cause I don't really understand this too much. However, what I do know is that the features that were listed (In the first original post) are already even being used in other racing games (On consoles as well).. The ability to customize your event, inviting friends in a private room, setting restrictions for cars, and other settings regarding the race configuration.
 
mani_23 yes I know those features will be in, but dedicated 24/7 server is different from a private room.

Lets say Im a big Le Mans fan. I rent a server from PD. I set the track to Le Mans, 5 lap races, R1 tires only, limit the cars to the 3 premium prototypes, the R10, the 908, and the 787b, and set the pp limit to 850.

I then let the server loose on the world. Eventually my server will become known as the place to go to if you have an itch to race Le Mans. This way it will always stay full because people dont have to worry about a host on an automated 24/7 server that loops 10 min practice 1 lap qualifying start the race if there is at least 2 drivers if not restart go back to practice

maybe PD will have official servers with popular motorsports and car classes

All I want is stability online. When I played BF2 on the PC and I had a wake island bug, I went to the 24/7 Insomniac server. I dont want to go private room hunting every time I get a Le Mans bug only to find it has a pass or bad rule
 
mani_23 yes I know those features will be in, but dedicated 24/7 server is different from a private room.

Lets say Im a big Le Mans fan. I rent a server from PD. I set the track to Le Mans, 5 lap races, R1 tires only, limit the cars to the 3 premium prototypes, the R10, the 908, and the 787b, and set the pp limit to 850.

I then let the server loose on the world. Eventually my server will become known as the place to go to if you have an itch to race Le Mans. This way it will always stay full because people dont have to worry about a host on an automated 24/7 server that loops 10 min practice 1 lap qualifying start the race if there is at least 2 drivers if not restart go back to practice

maybe PD will have official servers with popular motorsports and car classes

All I want is stability online. When I played BF2 on the PC and I had a wake island bug, I went to the 24/7 Insomniac server. I dont want to go private room hunting every time I get a Le Mans bug only to find it has a pass or bad rule

I see where you are coming from but your missing one important point. If the server is based say in the UK and gamers from Australia are connecting to this server then you will still experience problems.

My advice is either find a suitable ISP that provides a decent upload connection or ask one of your friends to do so. I really cannot stress enough how important it is to have a decent upload connection if GT5 does use P2P. The trouble is nobody is taking any notice but they soon will when GT5 is released!

The ideal set up would be a room where everyone is from the same country and the host has an upload connection in excess of 1mb.
 
Looks like a form of dedicated server confirmed?

From GT5 TGS presentation
If you keep your PS3 on Remote Mode, when you are outside, the PS3 will act as a server that will host games you play when out of your home.

So it looks like you can run a private race for your friends and leave it on all the time
 
@ the OP:

If I get what you mentioned + some then I voted "depends on the cost"
 
Dedicated servers are mostly a relic of pc gaming. Broadband is so fast these days that most people could host a 16 player race no problem.

- Every xbox live game is p2p, most ps3 games (but not all) are p2p.
- Plenty of them have 16 or more players.
- I played a bunch of PGR and MotoGP:URT online with big races and there was usually no lag.

So what is the point of having a dedicated server? If you can create a room, set a playlist of tracks or something, set restrictions, and host the game for as long as you want, there is really no downside of p2p, unless you have really poor broadband (then you shouldn't host)

The only issue is with host disconnects, but if polyphony implement host-migration like in modern warfare 2 this won't be an issue.
 
The whole point of dedicated server gaming is to offload and reduce lag and increase performance.While P2P is most commonly used with consoles there is a host in that group. Someones console and connection is taking on the whole workload. Usually in P2P pings are terrible, Lag is present, performance is choppy.
Take Forza for example. the cars slide around the track and it looks like crap.

I am a Dedicated server owner. My server is very very powerful and resides in a datacenter. Im hosting 12 virtual Game Servers right now without any sweat.

When offloading the host to a server your pings are usually more stable, lower, and consistent. This is because the Dedicated server has much more powerful hardware, is in temperature controlled environment, connection to the internet is likely an optical carrier 12 or higher line with several fiber lines as redundancy. Servers also give the operators or admins control over the game. You can set it up to how you want it using Server enforcing variables. Typically in a DS environment cheats and cheaters are not as bad.

When you compare it to P2P where The hardware is restricted to the PS3, is on a standard home connection instead of an internet backbone and you have no control over the game.

I would most definitely take the files if there was a GT5DS and get it working with my server. I would likely sell them as well as i have the space. I would look into the netcode as well and optimize it for more performance using GPS Timers and clocking to ensure proper registry and performance.

Im not expecting this to happen though but it would be awesome.
 
No. My hope is for a dedicated server infrastructure for this, the flagship offering for all that the PS3 has to offer. The online features that we have seen so far have been incredibly robust and farther reaching that what I had anticipated. I would think SCE would not stop the $80 million budget short of setting up servers all over the world to make this the preeminent, lag-free racing franchise on the PS3.

When you compare it to P2P where The hardware is restricted to the PS3, is on a standard home connection instead of an internet backbone and you have no control over the game.

I would most definitely take the files if there was a GT5DS and get it working with my server. I would likely sell them as well as i have the space. I would look into the netcode as well and optimize it for more performance using GPS Timers and clocking to ensure proper registry and performance.

Im not expecting this to happen though but it would be awesome.

This is a good argument for private servers, though...
 
Back