Repeatedly fooled: The Open-top convertibles

• Thread starter JockeP22
  • 48 comments
I'm happy I get to have the roof up on the Ferrari California in GT6. I never used it in GT5 because the roof was down unless you put a wing on the car. I thought having a wing on that car was hideous so just never got into it on GT5.

Wish the S2000 and Miatas had hardtop options in GT6

With the extra parts option in the custom parts, why not just allow roof on or roof off like the Z8? the obviously have the roof off model for the California, and most likely the others too.

I loved how fluid the hand movements were and also the crossing over of hands when doing tight turns....a visual features they also inexplicably removed from GT5 and 6 (oddly it was on GT5P).
No it wasn't, only in the first playable demo at E3. They removed it because the animation bugged out sometimes.

No it wasn't, only in the first playable demo at E3. They removed it because the animation bugged out sometimes.

It might have been in GTHD I saw it then (that download was publicly available). I was sure I saw it in GT5P Spec 1.

Typical PD, instead of fixing it they just removed it and never came back to it. Like with many other half baked stuff they have left behind. It was beautifully animated.

I think it's just for saving resource by avoiding all those details.

If 16 cars in a race are all roofless and comes with all the details on the dashboards, steering wheels and gear levers etc. (and their motions!), I guess the frame rate issue would be so severe that it'd be far from acceptable.

And it might be difficult to control the number of topless cars in every event, if there's no other restriction in the program.

BTW, I remember I drove a Fiat Barchetta with the roof down in GT4's Chamonix. There's only two cars in the race, and the other has a roof.

If 16 cars in a race are all roofless and comes with all the details on the dashboards, steering wheels and gear levers etc. (and their motions!), I guess the frame rate issue would be so severe that it'd be far from acceptable.

- The drivers are fully animated in every single car that is driving on the circuit, as is the dashboard of every premium car.
- The dashboard has LOD settings which can go to extremely low polygon count and detail. The game will not be trying to render them all at max detail when you can't even see the opponent's dashboards while you're driving.
- The PS3 does not suddenly blow up if you have 16 BMW Z8s out on the circuit with their roof down.

I believe it's programmable to save resource real time considering different level of details need to be revealed or not. And it's reasonable to do so.

Perhaps it has to do with rendering.
Each time you watch a replay, its not a video, its a file that is being read by the engine to recreate the race and show it to you from different angels.
Therefor, the less detail you see on the on the replay, the less busy the engine is.

Example, try watching a race with 16 premium cars with lots of details, you will see a downfall in FPS.
But did they had to put the roof up for this, is really not needed.

It might have been in GTHD I saw it then (that download was publicly available). I was sure I saw it in GT5P Spec 1.

Typical PD, instead of fixing it they just removed it and never came back to it. Like with many other half baked stuff they have left behind. It was beautifully animated.
It was in GT HD but you could only see it from chase cam since there wasn't cockpit view, and in replays.

It was also in an early video of GT5 Prologue. I'm sure it's still on youtube. I remember it looked a little bit awkward in cockpit view but I don't care, I want it!

edit: found it

I think the Mazda MX-5 TC is open top when driving. Only thing is that it has a roll cage because TRACK DAY BRO

Edit:
I didn't see the post above this XD
But yeah get this car.

not sure if it was mentioned but in gt4 s2k had roof down in free run mode and roof up when racing, pretty sure it was the same with most other convertibles

I'm actually suprised that there is no open/closed top option for the convertibles on GT6 considering that we were given it on GT4. On another note: why didn't PD include the obviously modelled "standard" interiors of these specific cars in GT6? (with and exception of a few cars like the Chrysler/Plymouth Prowler or the Caterham 7)

Here is a vid showing a Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor (known as a "standard" car since GT5 and a "semi premium"/upgraded standard car in GT6) with an open top and a modelled interior.

I am not entirely sure if this applies for all convertibles on GT4 but I guess it does.

Back