Replacement Wheel/Pedels

England
Bristol
priesty_lfc
Hey guys,

First post in quite along time.

Im a PS4 Pro owner who has just stated getting into GTS, I was previously into GT5/6 and had a T500 with the pedals and a WSP.

when GTS came out the wheel wasn’t fully compatible with the PS4 (assume this is still the case) plus I just had a baby so the wheel was placed in the garage as I didn’t have time or space to play as much as I wanted.

My current wheel is probably 7 or 8 years old and the paddles are all rusty, as I’m planning to get fully back involved in planning to upgrade my gear.

my question is can I keep my pedals to use with any other Thrustmaster wheel? If so is that worth it? Due to the age.

If I get an updated steering wheel only will that add PS4 functionality on the existing base or do I need a completely new base and wheel?

With PS5 due next year I’m reluctant to spend loads otherwise it will probably be incompatible like the T500 was with PS4.

any advice would be much appreciated

Hey guys,

First post in quite along time.

Im a PS4 Pro owner who has just stated getting into GTS, I was previously into GT5/6 and had a T500 with the pedals and a WSP.

when GTS came out the wheel wasn’t fully compatible with the PS4 (assume this is still the case) plus I just had a baby so the wheel was placed in the garage as I didn’t have time or space to play as much as I wanted.

My current wheel is probably 7 or 8 years old and the paddles are all rusty, as I’m planning to get fully back involved in planning to upgrade my gear.

my question is can I keep my pedals to use with any other Thrustmaster wheel? If so is that worth it? Due to the age.

If I get an updated steering wheel only will that add PS4 functionality on the existing base or do I need a completely new base and wheel?

With PS5 due next year I’m reluctant to spend loads otherwise it will probably be incompatible like the T500 was with PS4.

any advice would be much appreciated
You're T500 will still work with PS4, the only button that doesn't work is the PS button. Just use it til it breaks.... then update 👍.

Ps. My paddles have gone slightly rusty too.

You're T500 will still work with PS4, the only button that doesn't work is the PS button. Just use it til it breaks.... then update 👍.

Ps. My paddles have gone slightly rusty too.

If I can find under all the other rubbish in the garage!

Tbf that might be the best option, i can remember it being very annoying without full functionality tho.

pretty sure it will also need a FW update which is something that hasn’t been done for a long time as I don’t have a pc/laptop

If I can find under all the other rubbish in the garage!

Tbf that might be the best option, i can remember it being very annoying without full functionality tho.

pretty sure it will also need a FW update which is something that hasn’t been done for a long time as I don’t have a pc/laptop
Yeah, you'll need a firmware update for sure. Do you have a friend with a laptop, or can you take the base to someone else's house. I ask because one of my friends brings his T300 base around and we use the clamp to secure it to my computer desk. It's pretty simple really.

The only thing that used to annoy me about my T500 (I say used to because I have a T-GT as well :)) is when I forgot to enter the game with the X button on my wheel. Sometimes I was a couple of button presses on the controller ahead of myself :embarrassed:.

I mentioned just keeping it til breaks because we're not that far off the next generation of console and while I'm pretty confident that everything that works on PS4 will work next gen, no one can be sure. There's also new wheels in the works from Logitech.

Regarding your original post:

Your pedals are still probably the best ones from Thrustmaster (if they're V2's) and are still sold today as part of their ecosystem (so yes they'll still work with a new base) but they're a long way off Fanatec's pedal selection.

Updated you're steering wheel only will not add full PS4 functionality, it's the base that does that unfortunately. I've not yet tried the T500 rim on my T-GT to know if that combination works with full compatibility, so I'm not sure on that part.

Also, sorry for the rather abrupt answer before, I was very burnt out :guilty:, and good luck with your shed search :).

Yeah it’s cool mate.

I’m impatient so I didn’t event think about just using it till it possible breaks. Just thought about getting a new one.

Gonna fish it out later to make sure it works but unsure when I can update the firmware.

re the pedals I think mine are V1 but I can’t remember, will try to see what the difference is.

Yeah it’s cool mate.

I’m impatient so I didn’t event think about just using it till it possible breaks. Just thought about getting a new one.

Gonna fish it out later to make sure it works but unsure when I can update the firmware.

re the pedals I think mine are V1 but I can’t remember, will try to see what the difference is.
👍

To check if they're the better ones, just have a look at the springs. The earlier ones had torsion springs that were prone to breaking (2 per pedal), newer ones had compression springs.

I had the early ones:
T500rs Accelerator spring.JPG

Just raided the garage, doesn’t look promising!

definitely V1, can you convert to V2?

Attachments

• D159AD37-DDAC-47C4-81FE-D53069437FF1.jpeg
    D159AD37-DDAC-47C4-81FE-D53069437FF1.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 22
  • C4BB1ABF-1FD6-4177-BFF3-C24BBC7C23E4.jpeg
    C4BB1ABF-1FD6-4177-BFF3-C24BBC7C23E4.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 22
Just raided the garage, doesn’t look promising!

definitely V1, can you convert to V2?
Unfortunately you can't, but it's only an issue once they've snapped.

I did try something with mine that seemed to work. The springs were snapping way too regularly so I decided to pull the pedals apart (again :rolleyes:) and found the springs were catching on the burrs at the end of them, so I hit them with the grinder (and finished with a file), smoothed and rounded the ends. The springs operated much better afterwards, but I'm not sure if it was the shortening of the length (they fit in loosely when re-fitting them) or the smooth, rounded ends that did the trick but I didn't snap another spring for several years (until I got my T-GT). Of course I could of just got springs from a good batch this last time :P.

Another tip for if they snap, if you don't use the clutch the springs can be used for spares. They got me by several times while waiting for a new set. 👍

Back