(Request) Allowed Picture Size

• Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 14 comments
Germany
Bonn
GTAce
Hey guys,

I actually wanted to make a thread about this ages ago, but kinda lost track of it.
Since we have a new layout now, I thought it might be worth a shot.
Currently we are only allowed to post pictures with a width of max 800 pixels.
That's actually a reason why I didn't post a lot of pictures anymore. I don't want to resize everything I made, for example on the PS4.
The only reason why I post Assetto Corsa pictures every now and then is that I have to resize 'em anyway (I always make pics in 4K).
So... do you guys think we could raise the limit to 1920x1080? Please?

giphy.gif

The ImageMagick suite makes batch resizing (and lots of other things) a snap. I use it for scaling images for my digital picture frames.

The ImageMagick suite makes batch resizing (and lots of other things) a snap. I use it for scaling images for my digital picture frames.
I can make batch resizing with Photoshop too, but I don't want to have every picture twice and also upload everything twice.
RIP people's internet and/or phones.
It's 2017, that really shouldn't be an issue anymore. GTP is also the only forum I use with that rule.

It shouldn't, but it is.
Then wait until you're on a desktop PC... Not to mention that there's no rule regarding file size, so this is a non-issue.
Most GIFs posted here, or even PNGs with a width of 800 pixels are way bigger than a 1080p JPG.

Then wait until you're on a desktop PC... Not to mention that there's no rule regarding file size, so this is a non-issue.
Most GIFs posted here, or even PNGs with a width of 800 pixels are way bigger than a 1080p JPG.
Completely agree on the .gifs -- some of those things are humongous but that's because they're videos with dozens if not hundreds of individual images (yes I know that's not completely accurate but it's close enough). But not so much on the png. For things like cartoons with only a dozen or so colors, png is more efficient than .jpg. Contrariwise, something with thousands of colors is more efficiently done with jpeg. jpeg does have a problem, though, with image degradation with repeated edits.

Then wait until you have Wi-Fi.
Not everyone has fast internet, whether it be on mobile, WiFi, ethernet, whatever.

Probably true most of the time, yeah. Problem is that people just upload straight png without converting to jpg most of the time, so I'd rather have it be downscaled during upload rather than having a full 1080 png.

EDIT: Jordan probably should up the limit from 800px to 1020px since that's the new width anyways.

Completely agree on the .gifs -- some of those things are humongous but that's because they're videos with dozens if not hundreds of individual images (yes I know that's not completely accurate but it's close enough). But not so much on the png. For things like cartoons with only a dozen or so colors, png is more efficient than .jpg. Contrariwise, something with thousands of colors is more efficiently done with jpeg. jpeg does have a problem, though, with image degradation with repeated edits.
I'm mostly talking about screenshots and a 800px PNG file will always be bigger than a 1080px JPG, even with the highest quality.
All of my PS4 screenshots are PNG because the JPG compression from the PS4 looks really off.
So having this width limitation is nonsensical, unless there's a filesize limit (which I hope won't be less than 3mb per image, if it's ever added).

Hey guys,

I actually wanted to make a thread about this ages ago, but kinda lost track of it.
Since we have a new layout now, I thought it might be worth a shot.
Currently we are only allowed to post pictures with a width of max 800 pixels.
That's actually a reason why I didn't post a lot of pictures anymore. I don't want to resize everything I made, for example on the PS4.
The only reason why I post Assetto Corsa pictures every now and then is that I have to resize 'em anyway (I always make pics in 4K).
So... do you guys think we could raise the limit to 1920x1080? Please?

giphy.gif

This feature has been around for a couple years now. If you upload them to GTP's Media section and then link to them using the URL with "/full" on the end, it will display them native size (up to 5k x 5k).
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/media/ -- click "Add Media" and you can group them in Albums and use tags and such.

Here's an example of a WRS thread where we have big pics using the same method.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-week-177-shifter-season.356418/

This feature has been around for a couple years now. If you upload them to GTP's Media section and then link to them using the URL with "/full" on the end, it will display them native size (up to 5k x 5k).
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/media/ -- click "Add Media" and you can group them in Albums and use tags and such.

Here's an example of a WRS thread where we have big pics using the same method.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-week-177-shifter-season.356418/
This is exactly like when I upload my pictures to an image hoster and embed them here, but I was repeatedly told that I'm not allowed to do it.
Being able to do it is not my issue, it's being not allowed to.

This is exactly like when I upload my pictures to an image hoster and embed them here, but I was repeatedly told that I'm not allowed to do it.
Being able to do it is not my issue, it's being not allowed to.
Who said you're not allowed?

Back