Request Pit Stop button necessary?

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 16 comments
Canada
Canada
I'm looking to refine and optimize my DS4 controller layout, and I'm wondering about the "request pit stop" assignment.

Is it necessary/useful/worth it to assign this command to a button? I mostly play online, but do participate in many races which require pit stops. However to this point, I've never "requested" one...I just drife into the pits, go through the options quickly before my stall, and then wait for the stop to finish.

I'm hoping I don't really need it as I'd like to assign some roll bar adjustments if I can find a layout that works.

I prefer to use it, as after you request a stop, you'll be informed if your teammate is in the box. I didn't use it when I played with the DS4, and a couple of times I came into the pits and my car didn't stop because the pit box was occupied. It didn't stack, it just drove right through without stopping lol.

Now I use a USB keyboard with a wheel, so I've got everything assigned to the keyboard. Sometimes I've hit pit request, and a message has popped up saying "pit box currently occupied", or something like that, so I won't come in until that message is gone. Usually it'll be gone by the time I get around to the pit entrance anyway, but a couple of times I've had to do another lap to wait for my pit box to be free.

Other than that I see no reason to need the pit request.

I bought my keyboard for $9 on sale. It's not a great keyboard obviously, but it has made a very handy makeshift button box for the PS4 :).

Also, it makes typing messages and stuff in the menus much easier.

I prefer to use it, as after you request a stop, you'll be informed if your teammate is in the box. I didn't use it when I played with the DS4, and a couple of times I came into the pits and my car didn't stop because the pit box was occupied. It didn't stack, it just drove right through without stopping lol.

Now I use a USB keyboard with a wheel, so I've got everything assigned to the keyboard. Sometimes I've hit pit request, and a message has popped up saying "pit box currently occupied", or something like that, so I won't come in until that message is gone. Usually it'll be gone by the time I get around to the pit entrance anyway, but a couple of times I've had to do another lap to wait for my pit box to be free.

Other than that I see no reason to need the pit request.
thanks for that. i didn't realise the "pit box occupied" message only appeared after you had requested to pit. I never normally requst a pit, i thought the function was unecessary/pointless as the crew are always ready, but i have learned something new today!

thanks for that. i didn't realise the "pit box occupied" message only appeared after you had requested to pit. I never normally requst a pit, i thought the function was unecessary/pointless as the crew are always ready, but i have learned something new today!
I haven't got very far in the carrier yet, but when I was doing the Clio Cup, I had a teamate who I shared a pit box with. I had one race where I pitted not realizing it was already occupied, and it caused me to drive straight through the pits and have to do another lap.

I haven't got very far in the carrier yet, but when I was doing the Clio Cup, I had a teamate who I shared a pit box with. I had one race where I pitted not realizing it was already occupied, and it caused me to drive straight through the pits and have to do another lap.

Yeah it can really mess up your race. Thankfully you can map everything to a keyboard. I don't know what I did before I got it really, as I adjust my seating position every time I drive a car for the first time, and now with the on-screen messages when you adjust your brake bias, or front or rear ARB, it is basically a must to have either a keyboard, or a button box, to enable all of these adjustments on the fly.

They have tons of keyboards cheap at the good will as well.
Ones with number pads and all. Guarenteed to work. Or you can switch it out for different one.
Life saver in this game. For sure.

And request pits goes on space bar for me.
I can't prove it, but it seems like the crew will drop wheel nuts less often when you request.
Makes sense that an unscheduled stop that catches them out would activate a random number generator or dice roll.

They have tons of keyboards cheap at the good will as well.
Ones with number pads and all. Guarenteed to work. Or you can switch it out for different one.
Life saver in this game. For sure.

And request pits goes on space bar for me.
I can't prove it, but it seems like the crew will drop wheel nuts less often when you request.
Makes sense that an unscheduled stop that catches them out would activate a random number generator or dice roll.

That does make sense, I hadn't even thought about that.

Yeah it can really mess up your race. Thankfully you can map everything to a keyboard. I don't know what I did before I got it really, as I adjust my seating position every time I drive a car for the first time, and now with the on-screen messages when you adjust your brake bias, or front or rear ARB, it is basically a must to have either a keyboard, or a button box, to enable all of these adjustments on the fly.
Least it's not like the codemasters f1 when if you pit while the pit lane is busy, they'll leave you in the pit box till every car passes. That issue started happening with f1 2010 and it's still not fixed now.

Least it's not like the codemasters f1 when if you pit while the pit lane is busy, they'll leave you in the pit box till every car passes. That issue started happening with f1 2010 and it's still not fixed now.

That's not really an issue as such, it's meant to be like that. The idea is the crew won't release you in an unsafe manner, but the problem is they require a massive gap to release you into, where irl they'll release their driver into any gap the car will even slightly fit in lol.

Perhaps codies just needed a huge margin for error in the pits, I dunno, but I have noticed in Pcars, when you want to leave your garage in practice or quali, you need about 15 car lengths gap to get out, it's huge, and way more than in F1, so perhaps devs just set it up to have a margin for error to prevent cars accidently hitting each other in the pits, or clipping through each other.

In any case, Codies F1 games actually excel in pit stops, unlike Pcars. If Pcars had pit stops as good as F1 2015, it'd make the game even more immersive.

Back