Resident Evil 7

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 32 comments
United Kingdom
London, UK
Shirrako
Resident Evil 7 is coming out on January 24th 2017 available for PS4, Xbox One and PC, the game will feature full support for the Playstation VR Headset, no word on other headsets but they are likely to follow.

The game is a survival horror, first-person camera experience, the director said the game will resemble classic RE and will be very different from the demo, keep in mind the demo is not part of the game.

Demo Preview

Trailer

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC
Release Date: January, 24, 2017
Developer: Capcom
Engine: RE Engine
VR Support: PS4

Last edited:
I'm super excited for this, Resident Evil has been a favorite series of mine since the very first game. I'll hold my opinion on the series in the later years, but I will say that I am very excited to see it going back to it's roots. I've not tried the demo myself, but I've watched videos. Reminds me of Outlast, but I liked that game so that's not a bad thing. Can't wait to see more developments.

I have to admit, this game interests me quite a bit. I'm at the moment watching gameplay of the demo to see what it's about. I already watched the trailer and I do like the fact that capcom seems to have a focus on Survival horror again. I can't wait to find out more about what the new story is.

Interesting trailer, they really are going heavily towards the creepy horror stuff again, but even more so than in the past games. Kinda got an Outlast feel with that trailer, even a little Evil Within, which isn't a bad thing, but it also doesn't feel like an RE game yet. Guess I am just used to seeing the same old characters all the time. Just glad to see the (hopefully) end of the over the top action BS that we saw in recent RE games.

Off topic, but sorta on topic, I wonder how the progress is on the RE2 remake. I'm really curious to see how they would remake it. Sure, the fixed camera thing is dated, but I find that game mechanic more fitting to the series than a 3rd person over the shoulder thing.

Honestly, coming from re3/4/5/6, i am not too enthu about this game, but i will see how it develops, until then....

Thats a shame, as those last three where so unlike what made the game in the first place. They turned less horror and more action, to the point the game wasn't even that much of a scare anymore.

Yeah, RE4 had some horror elements, but it didn't give me quite as many chills as Code Veronica or Remake. RE5 was fun for me to play, but it definitely didn't feel like RE at all. I didn't bother with RE6 and I heard that had horrible quick time events and it was way too over the top for an RE title. I just played the Revelation titles instead.

RE7 though interests me though, I think I might buy it when it's released, but I need more info on the combat first and what all the enemies are.

Thats a shame, as those last three where so unlike what made the game in the first place. They turned less horror and more action, to the point the game wasn't even that much of a scare anymore.

Agreed. Re3 is still the most memorable to me and more horror aspects than the other 3 (can't forget those nights when you are young and played it the creepy music plus nemesis that idiot keep chasing after you :sly:). It is kinda funny/stupid now when you see those speedruns in youtube and how they fight those zombies...

but it also doesn't feel like an RE game yet. Guess I am just used to seeing the same old characters all the time

I miss the old characters but this game is under going a radical change in terms of both horror style and game-play especially...(not a big fan of 1st-person, but I may change). In terms of scariness, this game is definitely there, so i prefer to wait and see how things go first...

by the way it is coming out in about 4 months, is it me or it seems there are too little info/content... seeing this thread, I am quite surprised with its "popularity" here. Any1 played the demo? any comments?

RE4 had some horror elements

Agreed. On a side note, this game has a lot of glitches and the hardest alongside re5 imo....

the Revelation titles

played revelation 2 earlier this year, the horror aspect is there but not really impressed... it is like trying too hard imo. Code veronica is better imo even though i never played it and only see the speedruns on youtube.

I didn't bother with RE6 and I heard that had horrible quick time events and it was way too over the top for an RE title.

To be frank, the storyline was messy as everyone's story is linked together and played separately (it is like not here nor there) and too much action-like (motorbikes/cars sliding all over the places for etc.) the only thing i like is the 2 player option...i hope the new re will have a 2 player option as for side-quests while the main is 1 player option

Hope my "long" post is not off-topic:P

Yeah, RE4 had some horror elements, but it didn't give me quite as many chills as Code Veronica or Remake. RE5 was fun for me to play, but it definitely didn't feel like RE at all. I didn't bother with RE6 and I heard that had horrible quick time events and it was way too over the top for an RE title. I just played the Revelation titles instead.
RE6 was actually pretty great if you only play the Leon missions since it feels very much like RE2 or 3 except with a 3rd person perspective. Since those missions are the first ones you play in the game it very much leads you to believe the whole game will be that good, but sadly the rest of the game is far too action packed, quicktime event heavy, and large "boss" battle crap and terrible vehicle scenes that (to me) really represents the worst part of current RE games.

RE6 was actually pretty great if you only play the Leon missions since it feels very much like RE2 or 3 except with a 3rd person perspective. Since those missions are the first ones you play in the game it very much leads you to believe the whole game will be that good, but sadly the rest of the game is far too action packed, quicktime event heavy, and large "boss" battle crap and terrible vehicle scenes that (to me) really represents the worst part of current RE games.
Yeah, so I've heard from people, with that said; I wouldn't consider it worth it to get RE6 just for 1/3 of the gameplay.

played revelation 2 earlier this year, the horror aspect is there but not really impressed... it is like trying too hard imo. Code veronica is better imo even though i never played it and only see the speedruns on youtube.
For sure Code Veronica is a better game overall than Revelations 1 or 2, but both Revelation games were a breath of fresh air to me I would still play them over RE6.

.i hope the new re will have a 2 player option as for side-quests while the main is 1 player option
I don't hope that, 2 player or even an AI partner in RE5 ruined the horror for me, it's part of the reason why I think it failed in that aspect. Adding another person to help just made every part feel less tense than it would have been if I was by myself.

Last edited:
I don't hope that, 2 player or even an AI partner in RE5 ruined the horror for me, it's part of the reason why I think it failed in that aspect. Adding another person to help just made every part feel less tense than it would have been if I was by myself.

understand what you are implying, thats why i was hoping 2 players option is included in sidequest (mini games) for collaboration purposes not in main story, something like mercenaries in re3/4...

back on topic...missed this link
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...d-demo-available-to-all-tomorrow-new-screens/

Edited:
http://hypebeast.com/2016/9/resident-evil-biohazard-vendetta-trailer

Last edited:
Spoilers ahead!

I watched it already as I for some reason love knowing everything about the game and I have a few comments about a character revealed in the video. To avoid spoilers, I'll once again put my comment in a spoiler tag. Read at your own risk of being spoiled.
Dammit! Capcom for some reason brought Albert Wesker back! For crying out loud, why?! Just why?! I like Wesker as a villain, I really do, but for the love of pete; they overused him. I was done with his story arc after RE5, I was hoping that capcom was going to continue the story with Alex. Nope, they're using her brother again.

Though now, I'm curious on how he's going to be incorperated into this game. I mean, with the them of it being chased around the mansion by a crazy hillbilly family; the man just doesn't seem to fit.

Has anyone played it?

From what i gathered
- takes roughly 7 hours?
- graphics so-so?
- it is a good game overall but not worth the $(too high) and it is only main campaign, paid dlc (side quests) coming soon?

true?

Has anyone played it?

From what i gathered
I've played it today and I quite enjoy it.
- 7 hours I suppose once you become good at it from the looks of it, but more like 10 hours if you're starting out.
- I personally think the graphics look fine, though I haven't played a lot of horror games. So, I don't know how it stands up in visuals in comparison to the other horror games out there.
- Well, if you're asking if it's worth the money, then that's up to you. Personally, I would say it's a great same so far from my experience with it and the critics seem to like it quite a bit. Though yeah, I won't say it's the best RE game as I do find a couple of problems with it.

I'll put my thoughts in spoilers, so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled.
- I like the atmosphere, the sounds and lighting give off a similar feeling I had with RE Remake. It felt tense playing this game so far not knowing when Jack would appear and chase me down.

- The gameplay so far in my experience felt like a classic RE game, I had to think of strategies on what to keep with me vs what to leave behind, look at my map for routes on where to go. I also ended up having to backtrack a bit when I realized that I missed some items or something in a room somewhere. There's specific keys I have to look for to unlock a door and the puzzles definitely made me think of past RE games. Even the health bar is back to being a heart-monitor. The last thing to bring up is the limited ammo, I'm playing on normal mode and I found myself having a hard time finding ammo than even past RE games on the same difficulty.

- There really are a lot of things about RE7 that remind me of the past games. For instance, I saw in a playthrough that there's a number pad that made sound effects that were used in RE3 Nemesis and there are themed doors like in RE1 & RE2 that require a key that shares the same theme. I.E. I had to find a Scorpion key to unlock scorpion doors and I saw snake themed doors.

- It is nice to see that capcom brought back some gore to the series that I haven't seen since RE4 with things happening such as Ethan getting his left hand cut off and Jack Baker decapitating the head of a poor deputy cop.

- For enemies, it's more of a focus on quality over quantity as the only enemies I've seen in my experience and in the playthroughs were the Bakers and these molted creatures. The molted creatures can be quick to attack and I find them challenging through a first run with a handgun as I'm not the best shot. Luckily, I found out that I missed a couple of areas and was able to find ammo for my shotgun to take care of these buggers. The Bakers however are a different experience in comparison to past RE enemies. It was mainly run and hide with my experience so far with them. Though I have to say that my encounters with jack reminded me of Nemesis and Mr.X, though he had more things to say (and some of his lines sounded silly).

- The enemies are a great challenge in my eyes, but I don't like the low number of enemies. I mean, the Bakers seem to make for some great boss fights, but I honestly would have preferred more regular enemies than just dealing with the Bakers throughout the areas of the game. I don't want it to be like RE5 & 6 for sure, I just want it to be something like RE Remake with a few enemies showing up in each room or something. Basically, keep the challenge, but add more variety of foes.

- Lastly, I was surprised by the story and capcom did back up their promise that there would be no ghosts in RE7. The "ghosts" in the demo turned out to be just plain Hallucinations (makes me think of the RE3.5 beta) set by this girl named "Eveline" and she turns out to be the old lady in the wheelchair. Though I guess it makes sense as she was the only character shown in the Baker mansion not doing something crazy at first. Mia was also another interesting twist as I never would guess that she was an umbrella agent and Eveline is actually an experimental BOW. Though I never figured out what the virus that Eveline had was called. BTW, knowing who the Bakers really were before the virus; I feel sorry for them. Luckly, there isn't any Albert Wesker in this game after all; Albert was the name of a Magnum. The biggest twist was Ethan being picked up by Chris Redfield in an Umbrella helocopter. I now have more questions about this series than before.

Overall, I think it's an excellent return to form with the series; though I hope capcom finds a balance with the enemies in the next RE game. The game does tie up with the RE series, though only loosely with the backstory of the Bakers craziness being leaked with an experiment gone wrong. Is it the best RE game though, no in my opinion. I still prefer REmake and RE2 over this.

Last edited:
@RandomCarGuy17 Thanks for answering my questions and sharing your thoughts on how it relates back to past games clears up a lot...glad that the overall suspense is there

additional
- zoe is the only sane one from the family?

- any info on weapons you came across? for example, is there any rocket launcher? I saw a bit from live stream...there are handgun/ fire canister/ chainsaw/knife/shotgun ...if there is no rocket launcher i suppose it is too much for the game? any other weapons? how you survive on limited ammo? saving on them or only use knives or running away?

- did you tried in PSVR? wonder how is it...

- regarding the enemies themselves... i think they are very focused on Baker family themselves, thus the low number... if only it is on some small village.... from the live stream, what i saw was ethan keep going around for items instead of fighting some enemies (except bugs)... does this (low enemies quantity) coincide with the limited ammo thing?

- regarding chris, he does look young and his purpose/origin is questionable, i suppose that will be answered in next installment and not in dlc...

Last edited:
I'm loving this game so far, I am pleasantly surprised by it. In a way it does feel a bit like RE1 in the first person perspective, which is a big deal to me, being a fan of the early RE games. I didn't get too far into the game before deleting my save file and restarting on easy difficulty. I was having some trouble shooting and losing ammo too quick, so I figured I'd play through on easy to get the hang of things before upping the difficulty.

I don't want to spoil anything so that's all I've got to say. :lol:

@RandomCarGuy17 Thanks for answering my questions and sharing your thoughts on how it relates back to past games clears up a lot...glad that the overall suspense is there
You're welcome, I'm glad to be helpful!

additional
- zoe is the only sane one from the family?

- any info on weapons you came across? for example, is there any rocket launcher? I saw a bit from live stream...there are handgun/ fire canister/ chainsaw/knife/shotgun ...if there is no rocket launcher i suppose it is too much for the game? any other weapons? how you survive on limited ammo? saving on them or only use knives or running away?

- did you tried in PSVR? wonder how is it...

- regarding the enemies themselves... i think they are very focused on Baker family themselves, thus the low number... if only it is on some small village.... from the live stream, what i saw was ethan keep going around for items instead of fighting some enemies (except bugs)... does this (low enemies quantity) coincide with the limited ammo thing?

- regarding chris, he does look young and his purpose/origin is questionable, i suppose that will be answered in next installment and not in dlc...

- Yup, Zoe is the only Baker that hasn't lost her sanity due to the virus.

- Well for weapons, you'll end up picking up 2 handguns. The first one is at the guest house that was in the demo, but you lose that gun shortly after Jack Baker captures you. The 2nd handgun is dropped by the deputy cop that shows up in the garage. The shotgun though is in the main hall in a room at the back of it, though you can't take it right away; you have to get it by doing a puzzle (think RE1). The chainsaw seems to only be usable in the 2nd boss fight with Jack. I haven't come across the other weapons yet, but there will indeed be a flamethrower and grenade launch. The magnum seems to only be acquired at the end of the game when fighting the last boss according to a playthrough I watched.

- I have the Xbox One version of RE7, so no and I never really was a fan of virtual reality anyway to be honest.

- Yeah, the game is mainly focused on the Bakers and the only regular enemies I've seen were these molted monsters. They kind of remind me of regenerators and lickers when they move.

- This part, I don't know; I think capcom might explain it in dlc. I do recall someone in a video saying that the dlc will talk about some mysteries to the game such as the ending. Though personally, I'm not going to bother with dlc until I know what I'm getting.

----

EDIT: I completed the 2nd boss after much trial and error and I guess I'm taking on the old house next. The layout of areas in this game reminds me of RE1 a bit and Zoe Baker reminds me a bit of Moira Burton from RE Revelations 2.

Last edited:
I don't know if I can really handle this type of game, but I'm definitely interested in trying it out with the PS VR.

I haven't personally played the game but I am following the franchise and wow, I'm really happy that RE7 acknowledges the established canon set by its predecessors, what with the numerous references and all. These are my personal favorites:

>> Jack is an obvious shout-out to Nemesis from RE3. Chases you wherever you go, can only be knocked down, and then proceeds to chase you again some time later.
>> That hive-mind infection the Bakers and Mia are experiencing are similar to the P30 virus infecting Jill from RE5. Their bodies are being controlled, it's quite literally impossible to resist and what makes it a lot worse is that they are fully aware of what they are doing when under control. That includes the Baker family butchering and cannibalizing their other victims. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I beat the game last night and I have to say that overall, it was a very good game. I also noticed a few references to previous Resident Evil games, but I'm sure there are a bunch I've missed:

-Some of the puzzles were nods to previous games, such as replacing the broken shotgun with the good one to keep the door open, like RE1.
-There was a newspaper that said something along the lines of "16 years after Raccoon City incident..."
-The keypad that Lucas requires a code for has the same sound effects as the item menu in either RE2 or RE3 (I forget which, may be both)
-The Albert 01-R gun is obviously named after Albert Wesker.
-New character at the end who saves you is named Redfield.
-The helicopter at the end was Umbrella, although the logo was different. Also, flying away in the helicopter reminded me of the end of RE1 and RE0. I would love to see RE8 start where RE7 left off, with a helicopter crash and a new mansion, like the start of RE1. Go full circle. :lol:

There were honestly parts of RE7 that reminded me of various past RE games. The Bakers mansion along with the old house make me think of RE Remake and the areas near the end of the game remind me of RE Revelations. The molded enemies make me think of Revelations aswell.

Anyway, the only complaints I have with this game is that I wish there was a bit more variety of enemies. The Bakers provide good tension for sure and the molded give me some challenge, but it's not quite enough for me. I honestly think Capcom could have included a couple other types of regular enemies to make it a more interesting game. Well, I guess that can wait for RE8. The other complaint I have is that there's no extra game modes awarded after beating the game like in the past. There's a "Nightmare" battle mode, but it's dlc.

The dlc as a matter of fact sounds problematic considering that they released it to the PS4 one week after the game's release, giving me the impression that they could have had it included with the vanilla game at launch.

Anyway, the only complaints I have with this game is that I wish there was a bit more variety of enemies. The Bakers provide good tension for sure and the molded give me some challenge, but it's not quite enough for me. I honestly think Capcom could have included a couple other types of regular enemies to make it a more interesting game. Well, I guess that can wait for RE8.
I agree, I wish there was a wider variety of enemies, even regular zombie type enemies or even dogs like previous entries. Hell, being in the south, I was expecting an alligator to pop out somewhere, like in RE2.

In un-related, but sorta related news, I was thinking today about the Resident Evil 2 remake they are apparently doing. I'd love to see it remade in the first person perspective, like RE7, but keep the 3rd person, fixed camera as an option. How great would that be?

In un-related, but sorta related news, I was thinking today about the Resident Evil 2 remake they are apparently doing. I'd love to see it remade in the first person perspective, like RE7, but keep the 3rd person, fixed camera as an option. How great would that be?
I actually would enjoy a RE game with multiple camera perspectives to choose from. Though I also think an over-the-shoulder perspective like in RE4/5 would be a good option aswell.

EDIT: I decided to look up what Outlast is to see why people are comparing RE7 to it and well; I think it's a ridiculous comparison. The only similar mechanic is that both games allow you to hide from enemies or run away. That's only 1 part of RE7's gameplay and it's optional most of the time.

I actually would enjoy a RE game with multiple camera perspectives to choose from. Though I also think an over-the-shoulder perspective like in RE4/5 would be a good option aswell.

On another note, I keep seeing people in youtube comments comparing RE7 to outlast. This is a game I never played nor have heard of until this year, what the heck is it and how is it like RE7?
Actually, there was a trick in RE5, in the "Lost in Nightmares" DLC, where you could unlock the classic fixed camera by investigating the front door of the mansion until a "?" appears.

Outlast is only similar to RE7 by being a first person horror game, otherwise it's not all that similar if you ask me. I've played both and they don't feel alike, apart from being set in a creepy building and maybe some of the enemies. In fact, Outlast has no guns, or weapons at all.

Actually, there was a trick in RE5, in the "Lost in Nightmares" DLC, where you could unlock the classic fixed camera by investigating the front door of the mansion until a "?" appears.
Um, I already knew that. I know a lot about Resident Evil in general to be honest.

Outlast is only similar to RE7 by being a first person horror game, otherwise it's not all that similar if you ask me. I've played both and they don't feel alike, apart from being set in a creepy building and maybe some of the enemies. In fact, Outlast has no guns, or weapons at all.
Yeah, I decided to look it up and I only saw one common element of just being able to outrun or hide from enemies. However that's where I found the similarities end, but I see people dwelling on that one mechanic despite the fact it isn't the only mechanic in RE7.

Last edited:
Back