Resident Evil Remaster Coming to Consoles and PC

• Thread starter Parker
  • 23 comments
United States
Kentucky, USA
James_Page
PageyTheSquid
It seems Capcom is going to do an HD remake of the GameCube version of Resident Evil and release it on 7 & 8th generation consoles as well as PC.

Resident Evil HD Remaster – a fully-realised enhancement of the 2002 Resident Evil remake – has been officially announced for next-generation systems, alongside its last generation counterparts.

All-encompassing Japanese gaming Magazine, Famitsu, broke the news of its official website, teasing a full reveal – with interviews included – in the latest issue of the magazine, which releases on August 7.

In tandem with that, the game’s official website was put live as was an official press release which teases some of the tantalizing details contained in the game’s newest reimagining.

Resident Evil originally released way back in 1996 and took survival-horror gaming by storm – eliciting colourful reactions from the press and gaming outlets alike. Fast forward up to 2002 and a remake (exclusive to Nintendo’s GameCube) was released, much to the dismay of PlayStation gamers across the board. Fear not, however, as one of gaming’s most celebrated remakes is now getting a bump in resolution and finesse for its next-generation debut.

‘’Using the latest resolution enhancement and 3D model technology, game resolutions and textures have been significantly upgraded, including 1080p support on next-gen consoles, resulting in characters and backgrounds coming to life in greater detail than ever seen before in Resident Evil. Not only will the graphics impress but the tense sound effects have been fully remastered with 5.1 surround support for a greater gaming atmosphere. Players are now able to choose not only between experiencing the terror at the classic 4:3 ratio or a stunning 16:9 widescreen mode but also the type of control scheme they play with. The classic control scheme remains for fans of the original play style or there’s an alternative scheme where the character moves directly in the direction of the analogue stick, utilizing the standards of the current generation of gaming. Both the control scheme and the display options can be toggled between at any time during gameplay,’’ reads an official press release.

Stay tuned for all the horrific details pertaining to Resident Evil Remaster from Famitsu's reveal soon.

Source: PSU

Here is a link to the official website as well.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/en/index.html

Remake on left, original on right.

hd_gf_ss01_pop.jpg

hd_gf_ss02_pop.jpg

High Resolution Environments

hd_gf_ss03_pop.jpg

If this is successful I wonder if Capcom will try and remaster the other games. I know they've already release Resident Evil 4 HD but I know a lot of Resident Evil fans who would love 2 and 3 to be released in HD as well.

Thoughts?

We will start seeing a lot more remakes. Its one of the best way to make games backward compatible while introducing a new generation of gamers to the original series. Even better when they are combined as a package deal like The Master Chief Collection. That is truly THE best deal I have ever seen in my entire life of gaming.

I actually thought this RE remake was going to be several games. Hopefully it will be at least RE1 and RE2. Would be a bit disappointing if it was only 1 game.

Finally!!!!
The one game i've always wished to play but never had a chance to as i've always stuck with Sony consoles.
I remember drooling over the screenshots and videos back when it was released and as little as a year ago i even contemplated buying a gamecube just to play this.

Can't wait! Best game news for a while! :):):):):):):):):):)

I'm excited for this. This is from an age when things where actually more spooky rather than outright gorey. I remember playing RE2 at my cousins house as a kid, I couldn't play it by myself for to long :lol:

I'm excited for this. This is from an age when things where actually more spooky rather than outright gorey. I remember playing RE2 at my cousins house as a kid, I couldn't play it by myself for to long :lol:
RE2 was so amazing and I still have it for PS2. I remember about crapping my pants when the Licker busted through the double sided mirror. The entire time I just thought it was a regular mirror. Those that played know exactly what I am talking about.

RE2 was so amazing and I still have it for PS2. I remember about crapping my pants when the Licker busted through the double sided mirror. The entire time I just thought it was a regular mirror. Those that played know exactly what I am talking about.
The sad thing is I dont remember much of the game. I wasnt at my cousins to often so when I did play it, it was forgotten as the months passed by before I would visit again. That can work out as a good thing though, the game will feel new :P

A remake of the remake...good job Capcom, making adjustments then putting a catchy title.

Unless it retains the original controls (or enable them as an option) it won't be the same game.

Having said that this is great news... that version was exclusive to the GC, right? That's why many of us never got the chance to play it.

EDIT: Also I really hope it doesn't have the issues the RE4 PC port had... basically all the sound mixing was done poorly along with other issues. Not good.

Yeah, it was a exclusive to the GC as were Twin Snakes was. I hope Capcom is coming up with something new than a fighting game.

It eventually ended up on the Wii as well.

It's a tribute to Capcom's amazing art direction with the original game that all they seem to have done is up the resolution and it looks great again.

Was it released on PS2 as well? RE2 was a PS1 game.

Are you thinking of RE4, that eventually came to PS2. After PS1 Capcom went exclusive to Sega and Nintendo machines.

Unless it retains the original controls (or enable them as an option) it won't be the same game.

Having said that this is great news... that version was exclusive to the GC, right? That's why many of us never got the chance to play it.

EDIT: Also I really hope it doesn't have the issues the RE4 PC port had... basically all the sound mixing was done poorly along with other issues. Not good.

This is what it says on the website.

hd_sound_ss02.png

You can play using the original control scheme or an alternate control scheme that lets you just push the analog stick to move in the direction you want to go.

★You can switch the control scheme during gameplay in real time.

Yeah, it was a exclusive to the GC as were Twin Snakes was. I hope Capcom is coming up with something new than a fighting game.

Ah Twin Snakes, forgot about that also another game I've always wanted to play but haven't been able to so far :(

Also just read up that it's available as a digital download... I was hoping for a boxed copy!
I hate digital downloads it's like i don't actually own the game!

This is what it says on the website.

hd_sound_ss02.png

You can play using the original control scheme or an alternate control scheme that lets you just push the analog stick to move in the direction you want to go.

★You can switch the control scheme during gameplay in real time.

Thanks, so I assume that picture depicts the modern controls? Pressing left or right used to make your character rotate in place. Talk about archaic controls, but that was an important aspect of the early RE games. :lol:

I love HD classic or remakes. I am glad they are doing it as I have not played them. I bought some other HD remakes for PS3 and will definitely get this as well probably when I get PS4. If PS3 version is somehow just as good then may be for it.

I couldn't care less about the original RE, but I'd love RE2 as a remaster.

I sunk massive amounts of time into that on PS1, Dreamcast and PSP. (PSN PS3 download compatible with PSP) and loved every second of it.

Was it released on PS2 as well? RE2 was a PS1 game.

Are you thinking of RE4, that eventually came to PS2. After PS1 Capcom went exclusive to Sega and Nintendo machines.
It is a PS1 game but I think it was backward compatible for the PS2. I still have the game so I will have to check tonight. I know its at least 2 discs in one case and its a bit thick. If I cant find a Google image I will take a picture of the game tonight when I get home. I know for sure I was playing it on the PS2.

EDIT1: Yup Resident Evil 2 is backward compatible with PS2 / PS3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ompatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

EDIT 2: Google image
I think this is what mine looks like.

re2.JPG

Last edited:
Release date 20th January 2015.
£16

Never got to play the remake, looking forward to this more than any current gen game at the minute!!!!

Back