Retro Rewind - Retro Racing Titles Reviewed and Revisited

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 71 comments
For TXR:0 be sure to experiment with the steering sensitivity option, because as I recall I think maxing it out (+15?) makes the handling more bearable. The technique as I worked it out is to basically pivot-steer the car into a drift for every corner. It's a crude game, but a classic with Genki's unique gameplay and a memorable soundtrack. :)

Racing Evoluzione was called APEX in the US, and it was a pretty awesome game. I remember picking it up blind just after I got my Xbox and being so happy with my purchase.
Ah! Now I know why it sounded so familiar but the name didn't click. 👍

Gran Turismo HD Concept (2006)

In this video, I rewind 13 years to take a look at Gran Turismo HD Concept (GTHD), a concept demo released for the PS3 for what was to be the first GT title for the PS3. Later abandoned in favour of GT5, the concept demo had one track and ten cars, with a tuned version of each making a final car count of twenty.

The demo has long been delisted from the PSN Store, but can still be downloaded if it's already in your download list, however, I was surprised to find that after 13 years, the leaderboard server is still up and running and allows you to watch and download others replays!

Auto Modellista (2002)

Stepping back in time once again with a Retro Rewind Review of 2002's Auto Modellista from Capcpm. One of the most distinctive-looking racing games produced, its striking in the way its presented, but not without its faults.

Last edited:
For TXR:0 be sure to experiment with the steering sensitivity option, because as I recall I think maxing it out (+15?) makes the handling more bearable. The technique as I worked it out is to basically pivot-steer the car into a drift for every corner. It's a crude game, but a classic with Genki's unique gameplay and a memorable soundtrack. :)
That never occured to me :ouch: I always gave up playing early on due to the physics being an absolute pain in the A.

As for suggestion similiar to TXR 3 & Zero, I’d add Import Tuner Challenge, exclusive to the XBOX 360 and the last of the TXR games.

Race 07 (2007) PC

Yeah, this game was the only game that tempted me to switch to Xbox. I didn’t do it as my money was running low and I had enough playstation racing games, but man I still want to play it as my own. I played it a bit at my brother in-law. Nevertheless, never made the switch and stayer loyal to playstation.

I always thought they dumbed down the physics and FFB a bit for Race07/GTR Evo compared to GTR/GTR2. Would be interesting to see if you feel the same way after testing those.

Race 07 (2007) PC

I’m still thinking about picking this up as part of the whole SimBin bundle alongside the GTR series. How is the wheel support? I have a G29 wheel and pedal set and I’d like to know it works before I spend any money on it :)

I’m still thinking about picking this up as part of the whole SimBin bundle alongside the GTR series. How is the wheel support? I have a G29 wheel and pedal set and I’d like to know it works before I spend any money on it :)
I can't speak specifically for the G29, but with my T300, TH8A & L-PCM set-up it works perfectly, even the FFB is damn good.

The only thing you need to make sure of is that you tell Steam to run it in compatibility mode, as it doesn't like Windows 10 as a default, but once that's done its great, you can max out the graphics and AI numbers, mod the hell out of it (the Super Touring Car mods are a must) and then be quite frankly amazed at how well the physics, handling and FFB have aged.

I actually going to pick up the rest of the SimBin collection soon, just waiting to see if it hits a Steam Sale over black Friday.

I can't speak specifically for the G29, but with my T300, TH8A & L-PCM set-up it works perfectly, even the FFB is damn good.

The only thing you need to make sure of is that you tell Steam to run it in compatibility mode, as it doesn't like Windows 10 as a default, but once that's done its great, you can max out the graphics and AI numbers, mod the hell out of it (the Super Touring Car mods are a must) and then be quite frankly amazed at how well the physics, handling and FFB have aged.

I actually going to pick up the rest of the SimBin collection soon, just waiting to see if it hits a Steam Sale over black Friday.

Thanks! I’m also waiting for the Black Friday sale, have a bunch things on my shopping list :)

That's great! I wonder if nostalgia is a good indicator when judging those games since I believe they still are one of the best around (especially the PS1 title of which I have fond memories) :bowdown:

Looking forward to your impressions Scaff :cheers:

That's great! I wonder if nostalgia is a good indicator when judging those games since I believe they still are one of the best around (especially the PS1 title of which I have fond memories) :bowdown:

Looking forward to your impressions Scaff :cheers:
It’s sat in my PC waiting to be run (PS2 emulation), I just have to find the time

Back