Revisiting Forza Horizon 3: Third Time and Still Charming

Nice article! Made me feel all nostalgic and I might do an FH3 gaming session tonight since next Friday I will be all over FH4! *grin*

What is not in the article but also important is that FH3 also launched after the Xbox One S being the first Horizon (or even Forza?) game to receive HDR. The pretty sky captures sure augmented that. And then early 2018 it even got the full 4K threatment as well. Later the first FH1 also got the same 4K update (not HDR as far as I know) leaving FH2 as the only Horizon game not with 4K capabilities.

Nice article! Made me feel all nostalgic and I might do an FH3 gaming session tonight since next Friday I will be all over FH4! *grin*

What is not in the article but also important is that FH3 also launched after the Xbox One S being the first Horizon (or even Forza?) game to receive HDR. The pretty sky captures sure augmented that. And then early 2018 it even got the full 4K threatment as well. Later the first FH1 also got the same 4K update (not HDR as far as I know) leaving FH2 as the only Horizon game not with 4K capabilities.

Initially I found that to be a bit strange but then the original Forza Horizon only received its 4K capabilities earlier this year, more than a year after it was retracted from the Xbox Store. There's still hope for an enhanced FH2 at some point (ideally early 2019).

As much as I loved FH3 I felt there was 1 fairly substantial negative to it and that was how flat it felt. Sure there were some hills dotted about but the western half of the map especially felt too flat. I understand why they did it because of the areas of Australia it was supposed to represent but it started to get tiring fairly quickly.

Luckily the DLC packs soon fixed this, especially Blizzard Mountain.

Nice write up. I enjoyed the game from start to finish playing it (or taking photos) most weeks for 2 years.

Very glad I got the Xbox One X now. I have always preferred sim or track games so the Horizon franchise has over taken Motorsport for me. Looking forward to FH4 👍

So, I suppose as a PS4 user, with a Tr300 setup, I should have zero interest in the new Forza?
I love the idea of Forza. The car selection, the flexibility.. However you did not even mention Sim wheels, FFB or anything of the sort. I believe that is considered a downside, since you couldn't find many others.

So, I suppose as a PS4 user, with a Tr300 setup, I should have zero interest in the new Forza?
I love the idea of Forza. The car selection, the flexibility.. However you did not even mention Sim wheels, FFB or anything of the sort. I believe that is considered a downside, since you couldn't find many others.
LOL. If you're playing on PC the game supports PC compatible peripherals. Not sure why this should be considered a downside.

LOL. If you're playing on PC the game supports PC compatible peripherals. Not sure why this should be considered a downside.

Um, when did I say I'm playing on PC? In the first 6 words i said I'm a Ps4 guy. This forum sucks sometimes.. I can't drag my rig into my bedroom to play on my potato. What i was not clear on is if it's worth getting an Xbox (or a better potato) to play this game with a Sim wheel.

Um, when did I say I'm playing on PC? In the first 6 words i said I'm a Ps4 guy. This forum sucks sometimes.. I can't drag my rig into my bedroom to play on my potato. What i was not clear on is if it's worth getting an Xbox (or a better potato) to play this game with a Sim wheel.

Short answer is: Yes for 1,2 and 3. And hellyeah if the demo of 4 is what the full game will be. 1-2-3 were super fun and well made (just don't expect Assetto Corsa as some fools here...) but 4 demo is an impressive improvement.

Short answer is: Yes for 1,2 and 3. And hellyeah if the demo of 4 is what the full game will be. 1-2-3 were super fun and well made (just don't expect Assetto Corsa as some fools here...) but 4 demo is an impressive improvement.

Appreciate the feedback! Assetto has a way of spoiling you.

If you're buying an Xbox and want a wheel with it you'd have to buy a Xbox wheel as your PS4 one wouldn't work. I don't think this equates to "I should have zero interest in this game". Not working with another platform's peripherals isn't a downside of the software.

Nice article, buuuut...why in the FM7 section?

The article is in the “Forza Series” parent category. That defaults to whatever the newest title was when we created the parent category (a lot of shuffling happened during the big redesign in spring 2017), which would be FM7. 👍

The article doesn’t mention PS wheels not working on an Xbox title as a negative for the same reason we don’t ding PS games for not supporting Xbox wheels.

There’s not much to cover about the wheel support, positive or negative. It supports the usual range on console, and a wider one on PC.

I still love this game. I'm playing it right now. Forzathons will keep me coming back every week.

I still love this game. I'm playing it right now. Forzathons will keep me coming back every week.
It's never really lost its flavour for me either. The gameplay is terrific. I hope the new game is as much fun.

Meant to do this earlier: hey, @diegorborges, thank you for your services (the video). Expect payment, in bulk, in 17-25 days months years. :P

Last edited:
Could you also revisit Forza Horizon 2 please? Just as gentle reminder that this is the last week it will be available for digital purchase and it's totally worth it. :(

Back