Reynard 2KI Honda Team Penske #3 Gil de Ferran 2000

Brazil
Brazil
andre_nishi
The ultimate car "no speed limit"....Very Fast ops the World Fast Car...

Attachments

• deFerran 2000 3.jpg
    deFerran 2000 3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 22
I wouldn't mind having champcars from 1998-2000 in the game, but calling this particular car a "Penske PC-29" is stretching it a bit...

what's name ... i like this car and i'm brazilian ... help - me? please?

Sure. In the year 2000, Penske Racing had ditched running it's own chassis (The PC-28, the last "True" Penske Indycar), Goodyear Tires (As they had more-or-less withdrawn by that point) and Ilmor-Mercedes Engines (Which was a surprise, given how much of a financial interest Roger Penske has in that company) in favor of the same Reynard 2KI-Honda-Firestone combination that had won 3-Straight CART Titles in the hands of Alex Zanardi for Target Chip Ganassi Racing. The rest is history, as a closely-fought championship ultimately went to Gil De Ferran (Who, among other notable accomplishments, set the 240+ MPH Qualifying Lap at the season finale at Fontana (Or "Auto Club Speedway", as it's know today)

Reynard_2KI_front_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

However, what was unique about Penske's Reynards were certain aerodynamic tweaks that no other teams had (The small, diffuser-like strakes underneath the sidepod inlet, the shape of the nosecone and how the rear of the sidepod tapered down in the picture above, for example) lead to certain members of the scene at the time to dub them "Penske PC-29's", though no modifications were thought to have been made to the Reynard-Supplied tubs (Which actually would've allowed Team Penske to probably call them "PC-29's")... THAT's why I had to point out the name.

Can I suggest you alter the thread title to read:

Reynard-Honda 2KI Team Penske #3 2000

Just to avoid any confusion when people search for 'Reynard' or 'Penske'

Hope this helps :)

Stumbled upon this thread via Google search for "Reynard 2KI"...I am a big Al Unser, Jr. and Gil de Ferran fan (also the late Greg Moore who originally was supposed to be Gil's teammate for the 2000 season...hence my username)

A few things:
- I think the 1999 Penske chassis was technically the PC27B and not PC28...there is also some really cool stuff in this June 2019 Racecar Engineering article about the PC27 including data

- Alex Zanardi did not win 3 consecutive driver's championships...he won in 1997 and 1998...his teammate Jimmy Vasser won the 1996 title
- Reynske is the commonly used term for the 2000 and 2001 Reynards that the Penske team used because of the tweaks they made to them
- Gil's world record qualifying engine made over 1,000 hp (https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/september-2009/97/car-was-beast-gil-de-ferran) ... I was in the grandstands on the start/finish line for his qualifying run...need to figure out a way to transfer my 8mm recording one of these days

Regarding the topic name, Gil drove the #2 car and Helio Castroneves drove the #3 car in 2000.

Last edited:
Back