• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 93 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
A "whale tail" on a Civic. A ghastly front bumper on a Mustang. Big stereo and carbon fiber hood, but performance still bone stock. "Ricing" in automobiles has been a big no-no for those who love cars. But let's talk motorcycles here. Is there a such thing as "ricing" for a motorcycle, and is the weight of the "rice" deal about the same as it is with cars?

I've seen some very nice custom motorcycles in pictures and on Speed Channel's "Super Bikes!" show (which I've been watching a lot of recently). I've seen things like rear tires on motorcycles that look more like automobile tires. There have been some bikes that have longer swing arms. I've been doing a lot of reading and stuff trying to learn more about parts of a motorcycle. The swing arm, as I learned, is the part of the motorcycle that connects to the chassis on one end, and connects to the rear wheel at the other end. I'm pretty positive that Super Streetbike Magazine was made from the creators of Super Street magazine. And in so, I have seen some nice custom street bikes. I mostly follow sport bikes and super bikes than choppers and motards and stuff. Anyhow, some custom bikes have swingarms that are MUCH longer than the actual rear of the bike. What I read in an online piece from superstreetbike.com was that extended swingarms give you better acceleration off the line for hard launches. Do some of these swingarms seem more like "ricing" than a true performance sport bike?

Most of us know about "ricing" with automobiles. Is it just as noticeable or notable in custom motorcycle culture? Is "all show and all noise, but no go" relevant in custom bikes as it is with motorcycles?

Tiger%20Bike.jpg

Rice means different things to different people.

It's a pointless word that is to vague. Remember!

What's rice to you might be nice to someone else.

I hate stretch drag bikes, others love them.

I love scooters, others think their retarded (most of these people never rode one)

It all comes down to the phrase "to each, their own"

A "whale tail" on a Civic. A ghastly front bumper on a Mustang. Big stereo and carbon fiber hood, but performance still bone stock. "Ricing" in automobiles has been a big no-no for those who love cars. But let's talk motorcycles here. Is there a such thing as "ricing" for a motorcycle, and is the weight of the "rice" deal about the same as it is with cars?

I've seen some very nice custom motorcycles in pictures and on Speed Channel's "Super Bikes!" show (which I've been watching a lot of recently). I've seen things like rear tires on motorcycles that look more like automobile tires. There have been some bikes that have longer swing arms. I've been doing a lot of reading and stuff trying to learn more about parts of a motorcycle. The swing arm, as I learned, is the part of the motorcycle that connects to the chassis on one end, and connects to the rear wheel at the other end. I'm pretty positive that Super Streetbike Magazine was made from the creators of Super Street magazine. And in so, I have seen some nice custom street bikes. I mostly follow sport bikes and super bikes than choppers and motards and stuff. Anyhow, some custom bikes have swingarms that are MUCH longer than the actual rear of the bike. What I read in an online piece from superstreetbike.com was that extended swingarms give you better acceleration off the line for hard launches. Do some of these swingarms seem more like "ricing" than a true performance sport bike?

Most of us know about "ricing" with automobiles. Is it just as noticeable or notable in custom motorcycle culture? Is "all show and all noise, but no go" relevant in custom bikes as it is with motorcycles?

Not REALLY, because the deal with Superbike's is that they are eather high performence 600+ cc bikes, or there not! You can IMMIDIATLY tell with a bike, and even if its stock, its still one hell of a superbike...

Car's... Can look AMAZING and have a 3in exhaust, but have a BONE STOCK motor... Which means, RICE.

Rice means different things to different people.

It's a pointless word that is to vague. Remember!

What's rice to you might be nice to someone else.

I hate stretch drag bikes, others love them.

I love scooters, others think their retarded (most of these people never rode one)

It all comes down to the phrase "to each, their own"

Ok Confucius...

Bro, You are boarderline insane... lol Your ALMOST Totally wrong here... Whats rice is rice, if you have a stock 97 civic, PIMPED OUT! but stock under the engine, no matter who you ask, weather its the owner, or who it is, IT IS A RICER! lol

Ok Confucius...

Bro, You are boarderline insane... lol Your ALMOST Totally wrong here... Whats rice is rice, if you have a stock 97 civic, PIMPED OUT! but stock under the engine, no matter who you ask, weather its the owner, or who it is, IT IS A RICER! lol

"Pimped out" is not a term i understand.

"What's rice is rice".....How long you been around man? Were you in the tuner scene back in 2000-2002? Back when bodykits and originality were everything. Today we look at these cars as rice but many years ago they were what the scene was all about. I'm not talking about going to apc and building your car with their catalog. I'm talking about guys that had great skill in bodywork and designed their cars around what they wanted.

Today you can look at the drifting scene (or what's left of it). When we got into it 3-4 years ago, it was cool and a new type of amateur motorsport. Today though...allot of people call it rice.

Don't try to explain stuff like this to me. I've been there and done that.

oh and "weather" is a climate term.

Hey, guys... we're talking about this sort of thing with motorcycles, not cars. Let's not fight.

I'm just asking if there is any sort of relevance to "ricing" motorcycles as there is with "ricing" automobiles. I think there is a thrill factor with most sport bikes and super bikes. Most movies have had some fun motorcycle moments. There was even a commercial showcasing the Yamaha R1 back a few years ago which was in a movie-like setting. I now regularly watch "Super Bikes!" on Speed Channel and even find myself reading Super Streetbike magazine. I've seen all kinds of custom paint on superbikes including even a navigation system and nice stereo system for motorcycles.

Now that I think of this topic a bit more, I don't think the "ricing" deal carries much in motorcycles as it does with cars. Some of these bikers have some of the more speedy bikes. So it isn't like you're seeing low-horsepower, low-displacement motorcycles being hopped up taking on more powerful and more serious motorcycles. I don't think it's likely we'll see (for example) a tuned 600cc motorcycle pass a 1000+ cc superbike in a drag race. I guess I'm thinking about modding up motorcycles to being ugly with no real performance potential. Most people into cruisers and chroppers don't really like superbikes. I've certainly seen some cool choopers and cool custom choppers, but the chopper people mostly mod their bikes with little consideration to anything childish or "fanboy-ish." Or think about it like this- one wouldn't modify a Harley-Davidson chopper in much the same way a high schooler (generalization) would modify a sport compact like a drift car or a "Fast and Furious" reject. Harleys are basically seen as the all-American, all-business, no bullcrap motorcycle. Modifying one up to being a custom bike usually doesn't involve anything suggestive of "rice" (unless you're trying to build one up that would get you strange looks from biker gangs or Harley afficionados). You wouldn't dare "pimp out" a Harley to something other than the all-business motorcycles Harleys are. For example, you wouldn't go with candy paint and carbon fiber parts on something like a chopper. So all the artistic paint styles you may see with tuner cars go onto custom sport bikes. There are also a lot more options to customize your car more than there are at customizing motorcycles. Nothing along the way of strobelights (at least I don't think), neon lights, or anything like that for motorcycles. I know I've seen nitrous bottles with motorcycles, but mostly with drag racing from what I've seen.

Anyone else want to discuss this issue without going too far off-tangent?

I'm just asking if there is any sort of relevance to "ricing" motorcycles as there is with "ricing" automobiles. I think there is a thrill factor with most sport bikes and super bikes. Most movies have had some fun motorcycle moments. There was even a commercial showcasing the Yamaha R1 back a few years ago which was in a movie-like setting. I now regularly watch "Super Bikes!" on Speed Channel and even find myself reading Super Streetbike magazine. I've seen all kinds of custom paint on superbikes including even a navigation system and nice stereo system for motorcycles.

Now that I think of this topic a bit more, I don't think the "ricing" deal carries much in motorcycles as it does with cars. Some of these bikers have some of the more speedy bikes. So it isn't like you're seeing low-horsepower, low-displacement motorcycles being hopped up taking on more powerful and more serious motorcycles. I don't think it's likely we'll see (for example) a tuned 600cc motorcycle pass a 1000+ cc superbike in a drag race. I guess I'm thinking about modding up motorcycles to being ugly with no real performance potential. Most people into cruisers and chroppers don't really like superbikes. I've certainly seen some cool choopers and cool custom choppers, but the chopper people mostly mod their bikes with little consideration to anything childish or "fanboy-ish." Or think about it like this- one wouldn't modify a Harley-Davidson chopper in much the same way a high schooler (generalization) would modify a sport compact like a drift car or a "Fast and Furious" reject. Harleys are basically seen as the all-American, all-business, no bullcrap motorcycle. Modifying one up to being a custom bike usually doesn't involve anything suggestive of "rice" (unless you're trying to build one up that would get you strange looks from biker gangs or Harley afficionados). You wouldn't dare "pimp out" a Harley to something other than the all-business motorcycles Harleys are. For example, you wouldn't go with candy paint and carbon fiber parts on something like a chopper. So all the artistic paint styles you may see with tuner cars go onto custom sport bikes. There are also a lot more options to customize your car more than there are at customizing motorcycles. Nothing along the way of strobelights (at least I don't think), neon lights, or anything like that for motorcycles. I know I've seen nitrous bottles with motorcycles, but mostly with drag racing from what I've seen.

Anyone else want to discuss this issue without going too far off-tangent?

I think people concern them selves to much with what other people do with their stuff than their own. I say you can't call anything rice if you don't have something to show for yourself.

Back on topic though, in Japan allot of people ride big scooters as a cheap form of transportation. Machines like the Honda Forza, Yamaha Majesty, and Suzuki Skywave. Because of the abundance of scooters, a tuning industry has sprung up for them.

Here's what i mean. Some might say rice others wont.

top-sg20j.jpg

200709_29_53_e0086353_11492118.jpg
200709_29_53_e0086353_11493332.jpg

200709_29_53_e0086353_11514289.jpg
200709_29_53_e0086353_1205740.jpg

200706_13_53_e0086353_11271383.jpg

I'll agree to those saying it would be better if it was a standard motorcycle and not a scooter. I just DO NOT do or really like eyeliners on headlights. I prefer them all open. Maybe someone modded up these bikes with some extra horsepower. It does have that sort of drag appeal to it, just not like some of the drag racing bikes I've seen in FIA Drag Racing bikes in Europe. You have to ride like you were Superman to fly down the track on those bikes.

Ok Confucius...

No that's not. Ricer too me in car terms is putting obviously worthless mods on your car AND acting like it's something it's not. I have seen many tastefully done civics with owners who are just trying to make the car their own.

On topic I have never thought about any ricer in the motorcycle world. It seems much more of a hazy line than with cars. The pic posted earlier I would maybe consider rice but only really becuase I do not like that pain scheme at all.

I dont know if I would call it rice but, I find that neon lights on bikes is pretty rediculous looking.

Something came to me in regards to modifying motorcycles. Honda released this scooter called the Honda Ruckus (called the Zoomer in Japan). According to ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Zoomer ) as the Honda Zoomer, it's been around since 2002 in the States. Almost like a 1970s jalopy (does this term apply to motorcycles as it does to cars?). Here's a link to more info on the $2,049 USD Honda Ruckus: < http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Honda-Ruckus.htm >.

Described briefly in a segment in the April 2008 edition of Super Street Magazine (article can be read here: http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/130_0804_honda_ruckus_bowls/index.html ), it's the "latest cultural phenomenon from Honda." It has 49cc of displacement with about a weight of 180 lbs. The real kicker for this is that (besides its ridiculously low price tag) that this bike can be customized several ways. I've seen lots of modded Zoomers/Ruckuses with modifications like longer swingarms and extended seat frames. Really customizable.

A few YouTube videos on the Ruckus can be seen online so you can see and hear this thing in action.

Having lived in a 'rice' hotspot (Telford Shropshire has god knows how many stock engined hatchbacks with half completed body kits and so on). I've seen neon underlighting on stock everything elese mopeds (Speedfights, RS50s and so on being he main culprit), I've yet to see anything bigger with any real modifications out on the roads, it's always the 50s and the odd 125 race replica. Such as these.
en3.jpg

viva_neon_diag_devan_droit1.JPG

sc3.jpg

Sorry about the small image size, they seem to have been taken from phone cameras or similar (no surprise to be honest).

Back on November 8th of this year, I went to the Grand Lux Cafe in the Houston Galleria on a beautiful (yet warm) night. I noted a few cruisers with neon lighting. I think neon lights can be pretty cool when done right. Then too, you're on a chopper. So you have some room to make your bike as bad (cool) as you like.

Something came to me in regards to modifying motorcycles. Honda released this scooter called the Honda Ruckus (called the Zoomer in Japan). According to ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Zoomer ) as the Honda Zoomer, it's been around since 2002 in the States. Almost like a 1970s jalopy (does this term apply to motorcycles as it does to cars?). Here's a link to more info on the $2,049 USD Honda Ruckus: < http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Honda-Ruckus.htm >.

Described briefly in a segment in the April 2008 edition of Super Street Magazine (article can be read here: http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/130_0804_honda_ruckus_bowls/index.html ), it's the "latest cultural phenomenon from Honda." It has 49cc of displacement with about a weight of 180 lbs. The real kicker for this is that (besides its ridiculously low price tag) that this bike can be customized several ways. I've seen lots of modded Zoomers/Ruckuses with modifications like longer swingarms and extended seat frames. Really customizable.

A few YouTube videos on the Ruckus can be seen online so you can see and hear this thing in action.

None of the stuff I've ever seen done to a Ruckus/Zoomer I'd describe as "ricing" - people generally make some very good modifications to that bike. Sure, they may not be to all tastes, but they generally have good engineering or artistic value involved, complete engine transplants etc:

garage2.jpg

tasuku_l.jpg

aokid_l.jpg

I absolutely love the Zoomer and I can't recall any that I've seen that I've actually disliked. If I ever had one it'd probably remain standard, but I'm always interested to see what people can do to them. It's become the new Honda monkeybike, or the new Vespa.

On the subject of scooters (and mopeds in particular) though, I think they're generally prime targets for "ricing", especially in the UK. The kids that ride them often fit noisy exhausts, graphics, useless bits of trim, sometimes even neons. They basically do to them exactly the same as they'll do to their Vauxhall Corsas and Citroen Saxos when they move up to cars. And I would describe that as "ricing".

Rice is show and no go. You can pretty much tell what is show on a bike. A longer swing arm is for go. Huge wide tire in back can also be for go. Lights are for show. Paint jobs unless including sponsors, are for show. Unless it serves a real function is a rice component.

Is there even "ricing" with even (not to use any stereotypes) mean and manly motorcycles like cruisers (Harleys and such)? I know there are great customs, but can this kind of thing go into custom choppers as well?

Choppers used to imply that all the extra stuff and weight was chopped from the bike to make it faster. The ones with huge front forks and wide tires look cool, but are usually fast as crap too. They dont really handle well, but theyre pretty fast in a straight line. Theres one around town with two V-twin engines, and each has its own turbo. Looks awesome, and probly flies.

Well the biggest rice I know of is a guy around town who has put motorcycle panels and one of those kiddie motorcycle noise generators on a pushbike. If I ever see him and have my camera I'll try get a picture up.

There's a guy at sportbike night with a bone stock k7 GSX-R 1000 and he has a head unit and speakers installed in it.
I would consider that rice.
Also, those "pig spotter" mirrors. Gross.
Or anything chrome, for that matter. Talk about all show and no go...

Not really, no.
I also think your definition of "rice" is off. It's uncle ben's. :sly:

But seriously, there's nothing wrong a a bone stock engine under the hood of an otherwise "pimped" ride. It should have at least some type of exhaust, so it has some kind of sound, and decent looking tailpipes, but other than that, it's "acceptable".
That doesn't mean I'd ever consider doing it, but hey, if the owner doesn't care about speed, why in the hell would he spend a couple grand to make it faster?
I believe the more common standard of "rice" is a 92 Integra with a front lip, that's primer white, a blue left fender, and the rest of the car is purple. It should have a 5 inch cannon sticking to far out the back, blow some black smoke, and preferably discolor the rear bumper above it. 💡
A piss-poor driver behind the wheel of a manual, shoddy bubbly window tint, an intake with a never cleaned K&N filter, and a $1,200 stereo are all also associated with ricer.

But a guy spending a grand on a great stereo, a respectable body kit, good paint all around, with a good looking and at least slightly loud exhaust tofit the body kit, well, there's nothing wrong with it, that falls into the "to each his own" category.

Rice: Modified improperly, over exaggerated, (3 ft wing etc), or being modified so slowly it'll never be finished, because they just don't have the money, but keep buying and installing stuff improperly thinking it'll be "dope"

Oh, and "work in progress" stickers, just plain stupid. A screaming cry of "I have the money, I swear, gimmie some time". No sir, please wait to install your body kit until you can either paint it, or have someone paint it for you, your red car with a flat gray bottom going all around, on your new body kit, you sir, look like an ass, whether you broadcast that you'll finish it someday or not.

However, there is no current term for cars beat up visually, that are primed to run like racehorses, which is equally offensive. Guys that can spend 5 grand on their motor, but can't get that dent out of the door? Can't paint the bumper, but you can make your car go like stink? A $1500 exhaust on a car that needs $200 in bodywork? 10K on a motor of a car that needs 3K in body/interior work?
To me, those are just as stupid.

Rice is show and no go. You can pretty much tell what is show on a bike. A longer swing arm is for go. Huge wide tire in back can also be for go. Lights are for show. Paint jobs unless including sponsors, are for show.
By all your definitions, there very easily could be "rice" on a bike. Maybe I just put a longer swing arm and fat rear tire on a stock 600, with some of that paint that doesn't include sponsors on too.
Unless it serves a real function is a rice component.
So anything that doesn't improve a car's speed is rice? I can't have a nice paint job because I didn't boost my motor without being a ricer? You can't have a good sound system in a stock car without being a ricer?

And you forgot a major form a "ricers": People making lower models look like higher models.
A Mitsubishi Lancer with an EVO bodykit = Ultimate ricer.
A Camaro V6 with Z28 bumpers and ram air hood + Flowmasters = Ultimate ricer.

Last edited:
Not really, no.
I also think your definition of "rice" is off. It's uncle ben's. :sly:

At the risk of 6 days of you disagreeing with me again, no, JohnBM01 is right.

Rice is all show, no go. This:

a bone stock engine under the hood of an otherwise "pimped" ride. It should have at least some type of exhaust, so it has some kind of sound, and decent looking tailpipes

Is all show, no go (particularly if it has an exaggerated sound), and that's rice. Or Barry. Or Jacky.

That doesn't mean I'd ever consider doing it, but hey, if the owner doesn't care about speed, why in the hell would he spend a couple grand to make it faster?

No-one's saying he should. But if he goes the route of making it look faster when it isn't, it's rice.

But a guy spending a grand on a great stereo, a respectable body kit, good paint all around, with a good looking and at least slightly loud exhaust tofit the body kit, well, there's nothing wrong with it, that falls into the "to each his own" category.

What's the stereo for? Show (cars are crap places for music anyway). What's the bodykit for? Show. What's the paintjob for? Show. What's the loud exhaust for? Show. What's the result? All show, no go - rice.

You have a rider point here though - there's nothing wrong with it. No-one's saying it is - though I imagine there are people who are naturally offended by anything with a bodykit on it - just that it's rice.

I'm a mod on another site where all we do is poke fun at riced (or, as we term them, Barried) cars. One of the most important points that a lot of people miss is that, yes, a car may be Barry, but that's not the same thing as it being awful and everyone hating it. There's no reason at all why people cannot like any given Barry car - though with a bodykit, loud stereo, exhaust and new paintjob, it surely is Barry.

Rice: Modified improperly, over exaggerated, (3 ft wing etc), or being modified so slowly it'll never be finished, because they just don't have the money, but keep buying and installing stuff improperly thinking it'll be "dope"

Oh, and "work in progress" stickers, just plain stupid. A screaming cry of "I have the money, I swear, gimmie some time". No sir, please wait to install your body kit until you can either paint it, or have someone paint it for you, your red car with a flat gray bottom going all around, on your new body kit, you sir, look like an ass, whether you broadcast that you'll finish it someday or not.

All of these are certainly aspects of Barry/Jacky/rice. We'd term the unfinished, or badly-modified, or just plain incongruous cars as "sheds". The WIP (Work in Progress) cars baffle us too - if it's a work in progress, why are you driving it about? I didn't take my car out halfway through a cambelt change...

However, there is no current term for cars beat up visually, that are primed to run like racehorses, which is equally offensive. Guys that can spend 5 grand on their motor, but can't get that dent out of the door? Can't paint the bumper, but you can make your car go like stink? A $1500 exhaust on a car that needs $200 in bodywork? 10K on a motor of a car that needs 3K in body/interior work?
To me, those are just as stupid.

There is a term - rat rod.

Yes, this is a bastardisation of classic ratrods, but that's how these people refer to their cars. There's even people who will pour brake fluid and saltwater over their cars to make the panels rust for "the rat look". These people are idiots.

So anything that doesn't improve a car's speed is rice? I can't have a nice paint job because I didn't boost my motor without being a ricer? You can't have a good sound system in a stock car without being a ricer?

There's aspects of "performance" though. Going very fast in a straight line is the lowest form of these.

In terms of modifications to my car, I've funnelled money into a pattern stainless exhaust system (to replace a corroded stock part, for less money, with a lifetime guarantee compared to 1yr on the stock part), upgraded braking (to replace worn stock parts, for less money and improved fade resistance to shorten stopping distances) and uprated tyres (to replace worn stock items, for less money and improved grip to shorten stopping distances, improve acceleration and enhance hazard avoidance). All in, that's about £1,000 and my car goes a bit better, stops a bit better and handles a bit better.

Or I could have just replaced the stock parts with stock parts and spent the change on a nice bodykit or stereo. And I'd be a ricer/Barry.

At the risk of 6 days of you disagreeing with me again, no, JohnBM01 is right.

Rice is all show, no go. This:

Is all show, no go (particularly if it has an exaggerated sound), and that's rice. Or Barry. Or Jacky.

No-one's saying he should. But if he goes the route of making it look faster when it isn't, it's rice.

What's the stereo for? Show (cars are crap places for music anyway). What's the bodykit for? Show. What's the paintjob for? Show. What's the loud exhaust for? Show. What's the result? All show, no go - rice.

You have a rider point here though - there's nothing wrong with it. No-one's saying it is - though I imagine there are people who are naturally offended by anything with a bodykit on it - just that it's rice.

I'm a mod on another site where all we do is poke fun at riced (or, as we term them, Barried) cars. One of the most important points that a lot of people miss is that, yes, a car may be Barry, but that's not the same thing as it being awful and everyone hating it. There's no reason at all why people cannot like any given Barry car - though with a bodykit, loud stereo, exhaust and new paintjob, it surely is Barry.

All of these are certainly aspects of Barry/Jacky/rice. We'd term the unfinished, or badly-modified, or just plain incongruous cars as "sheds". The WIP (Work in Progress) cars baffle us too - if it's a work in progress, why are you driving it about? I didn't take my car out halfway through a cambelt change...

There is a term - rat rod.

Yes, this is a bastardisation of classic ratrods, but that's how these people refer to their cars. There's even people who will pour brake fluid and saltwater over their cars to make the panels rust for "the rat look". These people are idiots.

There's aspects of "performance" though. Going very fast in a straight line is the lowest form of these.

In terms of modifications to my car, I've funnelled money into a pattern stainless exhaust system (to replace a corroded stock part, for less money, with a lifetime guarantee compared to 1yr on the stock part), upgraded braking (to replace worn stock parts, for less money and improved fade resistance to shorten stopping distances) and uprated tyres (to replace worn stock items, for less money and improved grip to shorten stopping distances, improve acceleration and enhance hazard avoidance). All in, that's about £1,000 and my car goes a bit better, stops a bit better and handles a bit better.

Or I could have just replaced the stock parts with stock parts and spent the change on a nice bodykit or stereo. And I'd be a ricer/Barry.
Well, to keep it short, the term "rice" and/or "ricer" or "barried" (assuming it has same meaning) is used as an insult, and insult only. If it is an insult, then it must be considered bad.
And there are technicality's in play also.
How fast must it be to not be rice? What about for example, a new Camaro SS with just exhaust, but everything else "pimped"? Is the definition fast in general, or fast compared to itself stock? And how much faster than stock should it be?

The only thing I directly disagree with you on is that stereo's are for "show". Currently, about 99% of my music listening is done in my car, so how exactly would it be "rice" or any other term, including "show" for me to have an upgraded stereo?
(In case you're wondering, I haven't yet, as I've "dealt" with a 500-watt Monsoon so far, though I'm tempted every paycheck to get some goodies.)
Some definitions of "rice" I've used, and dealt with would be, a Mustang GT with a GT-R badge, a Civic DX with a full Type-R body kit, a triple-decker wing standing 48 inches tall on the trunk of anything (don't remember what it was, doesn't matter really) Things like these, I would consider "ricing".

But when you start to consider any car visually upgraded without being power upgraded also "rice", then you have to start determining how much and how fast is necessary to keep it from being rice, which is where you'll find all kinds of disagreements between people, and the line will blur into oblivion.

And when you're talking bikes, well, there only so much to do for speed, without going ballistic, like the turbo bikes out there, etc. Plus any random bike with a decent engine already whips the piss out of almost any car in the first place. Take my 600, for example, with 101HP stock, and I believe the 1/4 time is about 11.3 already, sure, I could beef it up, put some exhaust, a jet kit, K&N filter, hell maybe go into the engine and get even more power. Maybe I end up with 125HP, can some random guy tell that it's that much faster in his 14 second Mustang? Nope. All he can tell is he got roasted, just as he expected.
So if the definition of rice is all show and no go, then it's actually impossible for any new 600+ crotch rocket to be a ricer, since they all run low 10's stock. Hell I think one or two have cracked into the 9's now.

Back