RiMS Racing

• Thread starter nobfung
  • 67 comments
United States
United States
No I don't agree. A perfect example is Tourist Trophy 1st person or even the first 1st person option in Ride 4. Actually the last MotoGP 4 game by Namco (arcade I know but still fun) had a helmet view that just nailed it) The rider isn't the important part the bike is. You can hang of the bike and still go straight. If you are going for realism and immersion then you don't see both sides when you are on the side of the bike. When I'm at the track I'm hanging off the bike in a corner I don't see what's on the opposite side. More importantly I am looking ahead up the track. WAY up the track. I am not looking down right in front of me

So this sway is what makes games harder than then need to be because you have to anticipate how much the camera is going to move the bike off the line you are on. Again when I ride and lean the bike the bike stays on the line and my head goes off line. A newbie picks up the game and goes to a turn and crashes and can't figure out why. It's because the bike moved from the line that he was on and expected it to be on. So he runs off the track, misses a corner or just crashes and goes WTH?!?!?!

I don't know that it would be even be worth buying at a discount. I played those fantasy tracks and they aren't anything special. They only reason to buy they game is if they do some having patching. but history has shown most devs won't swallow their pride and admit they were wrong. And being the how "do everything little thing" was a big part of their marketing it would make it even harder for them to change the game and save face. So you are looking at RIMs 2 which probably won't happen because I don't see this thing selling well enough to warrant a follow up. But I've been wrong before

Canada
Mtl
No I don't agree. A perfect example is Tourist Trophy 1st person or even the first 1st person option in Ride 4. Actually the last MotoGP 4 game by Namco (arcade I know but still fun) had a helmet view that just nailed it) The rider isn't the important part the bike is. You can hang of the bike and still go straight. If you are going for realism and immersion then you don't see both sides when you are on the side of the bike. When I'm at the track I'm hanging off the bike in a corner I don't see what's on the opposite side. More importantly I am looking ahead up the track. WAY up the track. I am not looking down right in front of me

So this sway is what makes games harder than then need to be because you have to anticipate how much the camera is going to move the bike off the line you are on. Again when I ride and lean the bike the bike stays on the line and my head goes off line. A newbie picks up the game and goes to a turn and crashes and can't figure out why. It's because the bike moved from the line that he was on and expected it to be on. So he runs off the track, misses a corner or just crashes and goes WTH?!?!?!

I don't know that it would be even be worth buying at a discount. I played those fantasy tracks and they aren't anything special. They only reason to buy they game is if they do some having patching. but history has shown most devs won't swallow their pride and admit they were wrong. And being the how "do everything little thing" was a big part of their marketing it would make it even harder for them to change the game and save face. So you are looking at RIMs 2 which probably won't happen because I don't see this thing selling well enough to warrant a follow up. But I've been wrong before
I agree with you on many points as you probably noticed in the past i did write up a lot on this, but in the end i suspect it's mostly an illusion or an effect of the rider view shifting,sideways and making us turn more than we need too.

And then the momentum of a started turn and changing back to the other one makes it feel like sway, although there is definitely some in milestone games , especially ride 3, as even in 3rd person you can notice a little tire sway when initiating a turn.

I wanted to test one of the more classic styles in ride though, with a more straight up style in turns to see if it's less hard on the perspective feel.

Although i love the side low lean of the rider into curves.
But even with that style and tucked in in curves as i like, i did manage to undo my impression of so much sway, and just adapt to initiate a turn for a smaller duration, anticipating the momentum of changing direction.

But nevertheless it is for sure overly finicky in ride and milestone games. The feel/impression is way too sensitive for steering.

Compare that to iom tt1, it just flows where you want on your racing line naturally, easily.

Maybe cause also the momentum is simpler in that game but of course the cam in rider view is more fixed as you said in the middle.

Motogp 19 is easier on this, in the rider view before the last.

Cheers..

Canada
Canada
outsider819
It's weird how different everyone is about cameras. It's usually framerate and FOV that gets me more than anything, can usually deal with whichever camera. None of them are or have ever been very good, really. Would like to see a company stick cameras on some helmets, use that view and put in adjustable FOV.

United States
United States
well once again I don't agree lol (I just crack myself up ), seriously though I don't agree that it's an illusion. The question is if you can deal with it or not. It annoys me so I don't. It's why I hated those old Xbox MotoGP games. But I only play 1st person and it's no illusion because it's clear to see how the screen moves. The rider's head stays on line and the bike moves. So with the screen moving like that you have to account for that with your steering inputs. if you don't you crash. When you use the front camera where you only see the track , the game tracks true. because again this again is based off the tires contract patch with the track. There is no compensation needed. Admittedly this bugs me because I ride so much and tend to try to use real life mindset on how to do things and that doesn't work. I can't go into video game mode. This isn't a problem for me so much with car games because I've only been on the track a couple of times in a car.

I don't really have a problem with FOV most of the time accept the occasional track that has extreme elevation changes. But again the problem here for me is the lack of a decent motorcycle based controller that would allow proper head movement. While it's not my preferred view ( I like the helmet cam) the first 1st view in Ride 4 is pretty good. But on that note that is the why we get the sway stuff now. Because they put cameras on helmets and base the view off that, which puts the camera as the pivot. I do agree with framerates. It's said that it's even a discussion today and there is no excuse for RIMs to look like it does. Not one

In the end it's really about preferences and what people are willing to accept and adapt to. But deep down you all know I'm right cause if you're not first you're last!!!! They really should make a Ricky Bobby game.. that would be a NASCAR game I'd buy lol

Canada
Canada
outsider819
Like I was trying to say- There isn't a single game now nor has there ever been, where the camera was right. So we're aggressively agreeing with each other, again. You can either deal with it or you can't

Canada
Mtl
Excerpts from hardcore gamer site review:

"Testing the limits of grip while maintaining speed constantly changes based not only on the wear and tear of the individual parts, but on the specific manufacturer part your selected. Old parts can be sold for money, but the more wear they have, the less you net. As parts such as the suspension or tires wear, the bike will behave differently and become more difficult to manage.

The trigger design is the best for any racing game yet on the platform. Braking with the left trigger apply the resistance up front and it trails off in the end, which is the way it should be designed. Accelerating is fluid, but the biggest aspect is when the rear wheel breaks loose. You can feel a burnout and ride it out with the right trigger, but properly feeding the gas can save you if the bike starts to come out from under you.

The audio captured from the bikes is some of the best audio ever heard in a racing game. The team at RaceWard Studio went through an elaborate and detailed route to properly replicate not only how the bikes sound stock, but also changes with different exhaust setups from different manufacturers. These bikes roar just like they do on the streets and the full experience needs to be captured with a headset."

Sounds cool enough for me, will get it once its all updated and maybe on sale, depends also if ill wait to have a ps5, not sure if ill wait that long.

The ai seems not so great though, he says its better on pc, strange, maybe its more updated.