RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

Oh. Right then. I'll just stick to doing updated ones then, and get to the others when they become updated one day. I just wanted that Enzo one since I now love that car for some odd reason.

You guys are awesome that's all I have to say for now. I'm just not that talented of a driver to give reviews that justify just how good your guys tunes really are. Thank god you published that M3 CSL tune, that is an awesome car.

Only one gripe with one tune is the 908 has some understeer issues for me. Likely my driving abilities but none the less that's what it does for me. Still incredibly quick though.

1 car, 2 countries, 4 tracks…
This is a review like no other I’ve done before…

This is a road trip. Starting from the land of the rising sun and then heading into switzerland to see if the car I bring can handle a mountain pass like it can handle a race circuit. It’ll take a few days, but I have got everything needed to keep me entertained. Nearly 500hp, idiot-proof handling and a car so exciting that I’ve dedicated this review to it, and a time limit of 3 days. And to make it just that bit more fun, I’ll be trying to beat a challenge set on each track. Right, brief over, now, a bit about the car.

Car: Nissan GTR (R34)
Spec: RKM Edition
Starting Mileage: 130.5
Performance stats:
Max. Power: 485hp/8300rpm
Max. Torque: 449ft-lb/5300rpm
Weight: 1264kg
Weight/power ratio: 2.56kg/hp
PP: 556

Ok, there’s the car, now all we need to do is to get going, there’s no time to waste!
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Day 1
Time: 3:00am
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Track: Special Stage Route 7
Track Length: 14.47 miles
Longest Straight: 2.64 miles
Corners: 24

The Challenge: Beat Target Top Speed
Target speed @ sector 3: 190mph

Speed achieved: 192mph

Thoughts:
Starting from 70mph, full throttle most the way, it was just so easy. This R34 never seems to run out of grunt. It shot pass the 160 barrier with ease and was homing in on the 180 mark just the next second. It ate up the next few mile per hours within a few meters. Passing 186mph though, and it would start to slow, those few extra mphs took a painstaking amount of room to do so, but it just managed to nudge 192mph before backing off for the turns that lead to the tunnel. It then started raining, and even at these ridiculous speeds, it was glued to the road with just a hint of understeer to put you off. But when the road is as straight and flowing as this, it doesn’t really matter much.

Right, time to pull off the highway and get onto some bends, GTR territory. The Special Stage Route 5 is by no means the most challenging track ever made, but it’s still a good test of a car’s high speed handling.

Time: 3:25am

Track: Special Stage Route 5
Track Length: 2.35 miles
Longest Straight: 0.62 miles
Corners: 16

The Challenge: Beat Target Lap Time
Target Lap Time: 1:32.000

Lap Time Achieved: 1:31.320

Thoughts:
When I tested this car on Fuji, I loved it for its fool-proof handling, the huge power and…well just about everything else about it. And here, although some flaws have been revealed, I love it just as much. But first, the flaws. The car understeers a fair bit on the faster chicanes, the car feels massive, it’s like driving a ship and it oversteers when you brake a lot more than when it was tested on Fuji. On the upside, it’s immensely fast, insanely easy to drive and handles rather well if you give the arse a good kick and hang it out. Oh and one more thing…wait…is that traffic ahead? Hmm…yep, some fool in a Civic out here at 3 in the morning, blocking the road with a Focus ST driving by its side. 3 lanes, 2 blocked by idiots in bright orange hatchbacks pretending to be Senna and Prost. Now…which way to pass? I could 1) flash my headlights and hope they aren’t as stupid as their cars are 2) blast the horn at them and wake up half the town or 3) sneak up behind them and blow right past. I think you should know which one I went for :D…5…4…3…2…1…*shifts from 5th into 3rd, Revs jump up to 7000rpm* POWERRRRRR!!!!! And in 1…2…3 seconds I was past the both of them. The point I’m trying to make is that this car, in the right colour, is a hell of a sleeper. You might disagree with me, but turning up at a tuned car race in a white Nissan R34 with white wheels, no sticky out fins and only a exhaust pipe sticking out as a sign of any performance is quite discreet. And now, if you don’t mind, I’ll be off looking for a place to stay, it’s 3:45am and I’m worn out.

Day 2
Time: 10:00am

Track: Fuji Speedway F
Track Length: 2.84 miles
Longest Straight: 0.92 miles
Corners: 16
The Challenge:
1) Start 30 seconds behind the field and reach target position before race ends
2) Pull out a lead of over 10 seconds by the end of the race
Target Position: Top 3
Target Lead Length: 10 seconds
Laps: 5

Field Lead @ Start: 30.569 seconds
Position Achieved: 1st @ lap 3
Lead Length Achieved: 13.625 seconds @ lap 5

Thoughts:
I must have be mad for excepting this challenge. I must be mad for thinking of it in the first place, but no matter, the challenge was done. And it was done as efficiently as a GTR can dispatch of these ‘lower end going to the shops‘ cars. Ok, it wasn’t that much of a dramatic race aside from a few powerslides coming out of various tight corners and quite a close near miss with a Evo 4 going at 130mph+, but it was quite an exciting race from the driver’s point of view. This GTR, as we all know, would have destroyed the field in a fair race, but being forced to hold back for a good portion of a lap put me under a pressure I haven’t felt since the last time I drove an online race here in Prologue. If you’re thinking ‘What’s the big deal? You can’t catch up, restart!’, let me tell you why I won’t. This GTR has got 9 wins in 3 car changes. Do the sums and that means for every time I drive this car, it wins 3 races. Without any restarts. I intend to keep that record of 0 restarts in this car (I’m that sad), and I don’t have a car this side of a X1 or FGT that has this kind of track record. Sure my HKS Evo has a estimated online win record of 1 (car change) /10 (wins) on the TGTT, but that’s on one track. This can do it on pretty much any track and against any competition. And I have to say, doing this challenge with this car, on this track, it just worms its way into my heart even more. I may have said in a few previous reviews that this car wasn’t as ‘connected’ to the road as a R32, or that it was a ‘mammoth’ compared to a Supra, but now, although those are true points, it just doesn’t matter. Don’t argue, it just doesn’t anymore. Sadly, this is my last race in Japan, I’ve got a flight to catch, I’ve got to ship the car as well and I need to get out of here before I grow two heads and see a mushroom cloud on the horizon.

Car Update:

Car: Nissan GTR (R34)
Spec: RKM Edition
Mileage: 190.1
Performance stats:
Max. Power: 489hp/8300rpm
Max. Torque: 453ft-lb/5300rpm
Weight: 1264kg
Weight/power ratio: 2.54kg/hp
PP: 557

Day 3/Last day:
Time: 7:20am

Track: Eiger Nordwand
Weather: Bright sun, blue sky, perfect weather
Track Length: 1.51 miles
Longest straight: 0.16 miles
Corners: 9

Lap Time: 1:07.400

Thoughts:
I think I’ve got a new cheesy way of describing this car. Painted white and under this beautiful sunlight, it looks like it came from an angel, but the brutal angles and speed seems to be taken right from the heart of the devil. The paint, from some angles, actually glows so brightly that for a moment, you’re completely blinded. But any time lost in admiring the simple yet strangely beautiful paint and lines of this R34 can easily be made up with some throttle, a bit of braking to get the back end to play, and a little bit of countersteer to keep you facing the right way. And that’s all it needs. You’re involved, but it covers up your mistakes should you make any. One more thing. It’s so much fun in those hairpins! It just dances through with very little effort and a very happy tail. It’s especially fun when you get to the last turn heading on to the bridge. It will always, always, slide. But don’t correct it, let it slide, and enjoy the moment and just let the computers sort things out.

End:
I’ve driven this car on 4 tracks, in 2 countries. And in doing so, this car has found a place in my heart where before I would have abandoned it after its review. So how would I sum it up then? Well, like this. This car, when allowed to be let loose, is the perfect example of why people like you and me, car lovers, all admire this car. Not just for the supercar slaying performance, but also because of what what it allows you to enjoy. And what this car will let you enjoy, is the moment when precise mathematical calculations is balanced with pure brute power and you hold it in an uninterrupted drift through the trickiest section of a track. And when this happens, enjoy every moment of it, because I guarantee you, this is the last of a breed. The new GTR may be good at gripping to the ends of the world, may be even faster, may have even more ludicrous power, but it lacks feel. It lacks the feeling that makes driving fun. It also lacks the ability to grip and slide when you’re bored of driving lap after lap on a track. The new GTR may be good at leaving everything in the dust while accompanied with the sound of a turbo chirping away, and you will be happy with that surge of all that 800+hp exploding down the exhaust pipes. But it just doesn’t quite deliver as much as you’d hope in terms of driving involved-ness and excitement. This R34 though, it can do all that while being much more exciting and a lot more involving. As a result, I reckon it’s very deserving of the title the ‘Ultimate GTR’. And in a game which has devoted so much space for GTR variants such as the Mines, Amuse, Gran Turismo and Nismo (to name a few), it’s no easy feat.

Last edited:
Damn you Onboy123, you took the idea from me. :grumpy:

Anyways, Roj, I know that requests will be "moved" to a few more months, but are you interested in tuning a fully-tuned FC3S? I checked the Every tune on GTPlanet thread and none of them has fully-tuned specs. And my FC3S badly needs a professional touch. 👍

Anyways, Roj, I know that requests will be "moved" to a few more months, but are you interested in tuning a fully-tuned FC3S? I checked the Every tune on GTPlanet thread and none of them has fully-tuned specs. And my FC3S badly needs a professional touch. 👍

Oh that's not the end, there's still a trip to Germany left, and then I'll start another from Germany into Rome in the 'Ring Taxi M5 (RJ's M5 to be precise), where I'll pick up another RKM car to go for another road trip :D

And RJ was working on one, but it didn't get finished because of RJ's PS3 committing suicide when it was most needed.

Oh that's not the end, there's still a trip to Germany left, and then I'll start another from Germany into Rome in the 'Ring Taxi M5 (RJ's M5 to be precise), where I'll pick up another RKM car to go for another road trip :D

And RJ was working on one, but it didn't get finished because of RJ's PS3 committing suicide when it was most needed.

Don't steal Shye's 380RS this time. It's mine to drive. :irked:

Anyways good luck with your trip to Nurby. Just don't be too over-aggressive or you'll end up like this:

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad76/Andre_Makarov/Gran%20Turismo%205/NrburgringNordschleife_2-1.jpg

(link placed instead because this is a huge-ass pic that would destroy the thread)

Don't steal Shye's 380RS this time. It's mine to drive. :irked:

Anyways good luck with your trip to Nurby. Just don't be too over-aggressive or you'll end up like this:

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad76/Andre_Makarov/Gran%20Turismo%205/NrburgringNordschleife_2-1.jpg

(link placed instead because this is a huge-ass pic that would destroy the thread)

Ohhh…ouch…that must have hurt…

And do I still owe you a 22B? I pick one up a few days ago, bone stock, haven't even touched the oil yet.
And speaking of which, you still up for settling the score?

Ohhh…ouch…that must have hurt…

And do I still owe you a 22B? I pick one up a few days ago, bone stock, haven't even touched the oil yet.
And speaking of which, you still up for settling the score?

And that's why I haven't driven my RKM R34 for a while. :P

Check your visitor messages.

Oh, thanks, though I have no clue what to do with two…

And I think I'll be doing a review of the 380RS sooner or later :D
No, I'm joking, I'll leave that to you, and then we can have a race one day, RE RX-7 vs 380RS in some vile eye-watering colour.

I have been a big fan of the Honda NSX ever since I got one and drove it stock around the Nürburgring. The handling of the car just made me raise my eyebrow like a strange person for quite a while.

Naturally, I got a tune to make it even more competitive online, and had been using it for the last 5 months. Although it was fast and destroyed almost anything in the same power level, it felt like a different car. It didn't feel quite right.

So two weeks ago I decided I would try Roj's tune, and my eyebrows just went crazy again.

With your tune the car feels exactly like the NSX I bought back then, but just a little bit (not that little) better all around. You managed to keep it loose, but predictable and everything feels sorted out. It is a very enjoyable car to drive, even with Comfort Softs.

Being positively surprised by your NSX Tune, I started trying your tunes (mainly the Juliet, the S2000 and the Alpine) and I have to say: I like your style.

I kept these cars close to stock settings, but with the Suspension and Drivetrain upgrades:

Elise 111r: Destroys anything in a technical course. Doesn't even feel fair.(Sorry CSL. Sorry NSX.)

Alpine: Very fun car to drive. Manageable at sports hard, but a "beast" at Sports Soft. It might be slow compared to other cars, but the corner entry speeds of this thing feel like an adventure. I usually think about how far this car can go when entering a corner, and although it almost kills me it feels like it could go just a little faster if I get lucky. Again, the personality of the car is there, but it just is better all around.

S2000: Great all around car. Feels very balanced, and although it it is very loose at Sport Hards and Comfort Softs, there is no understeer, and no drama with the tail.

Ford GT(600PP): Likes to pull wheelies on Trial Mountain. Apart from that, it is a perfect car. Has a tendency to destroy his fellow supercars.

I'll be trying the RE Amemiya RX-7 and the Pinkie Pie Z over the next week. They both have 556PP, so I'm wondering who will come out on top.

I know next to nothing about car tuning, but it seems your tunes stand out from the others in one particular area: Toe settings. I have no idea if that is a good thing or not, but it was just something I noticed while trying your tunes.

I seem to be rambling again. Sorry for the wall of text.

Volvo C30RS review:

Before-
400hp…in a FF. RJ, what type of drugs were you on when you thought of this? You must have been thinking ‘oh if the new Focus RS could handle 350hp, a Volvo shopping cart must be able to handle an extra 50hp more!’ And guess what, he’s nearly right! Sure, this Volvo is a bit on the bonkers side, and sure it’ll kill its tires after a few laps, but who cares? Not me, that’s for sure. I bought this car as a plaything, a car that I thought will represent the very definition of ‘power without control’. And it fits this definition rather well. There’s a lot, and I do mean a lot, of wheelspin. You could almost do a burnout with the outside wheel after taking a corner. The cornering itself is pretty mental as well, there’s a hint of understeer, and then all of a sudden it will steer the other way! I’m not joking, when you corner, there’s a moment when the wheels just give up and sends you pointing at the track edge going at a million miles an hour before it finally decides to resume its job and get you out of the corner. One more thing, like most of RJ’s cars, this car is not to be revved right the way to the redline. This runs out of punch at something like 7000rpm, so I’d shift within 500rpm of that give or take. But with a 1:16.822 lap, it’s the fastest FF road car around this track. And that’s before any tuning was done.

After-
This…is…insane!!! What this car does now is just shout, very loudly, ‘I do not care for your wellbeing, you crash, your problem’. The brakes, and cornering, all of these things that keep the car on the track seem to back up the fact that this car has much greater priorities than its driver. Since I mentioned the brakes, let’s start there. You brake, and it doesn’t feel like it’s slowing down. The brake lights glow red, the brake meter thing is a full, and the speed is rapidly declining but I don’t feel like it’s going to stop in time! I think it’s because I think of braking as the front of the car being forced to slow down, rather than overworking the rear brakes to tug you to a halt. But once you do get it to slow down, you’ll have to get on the power again. Because all you need to do is turn, and like the corner didn’t exist, you’ll just watch the scenery warp into a green blob flying by. It’s properly, properly quick. It just spits a burst of flame out the pipes, and then roars off, still melting the front tires with 400hp. Ok, it’s not as…‘wheelspinny’ as before in the corners. But it’s still completely mental. And this is a car coming from a country famous for building cars that are safer than houses, and yet this one, this one has every urge to run you head first into anything solid enough to inflict some harm. I can’t comment anymore as, once again, the PS3 is not available for me to use. So to sum up, this car really isn’t so much the ‘fastest FF of RKM’, but rather a fast one (a lap time of 1:15.102 should be quick enough, worryingly near the 300ZX) that’s easily the one that leaves you with the biggest lasting impression. It’s quick, it’s mad, and it’s absolutely fantastic.

Lap time: (Tested on TGTT)
1:16.822 (before)
1:15.102 (after)

Right, 1 down, 15 to go!

1 car, 2 countries, 4 tracks…
This is a review like no other I’ve done before…
This is honestly a borderline race report rather than a review. :lol: Really good read though. If it had pictures it would be like an article in a magazine. :P I cant really reply to anything about the car because I've said it all already. :lol: Seriously go add pictures and post it up in the race report section. ;)

The FC and a few other cars I'm not doing because RJ was working on them. So when he's back to tuning, he'll finish up and release them. 👍
I have been a big fan of the Honda NSX ever since I got one and drove it stock around the Nürburgring. The handling of the car just made me raise my eyebrow like a strange person for quite a while.

Naturally, I got a tune to make it even more competitive online, and had been using it for the last 5 months. Although it was fast and destroyed almost anything in the same power level, it felt like a different car. It didn't feel quite right.

So two weeks ago I decided I would try Roj's tune, and my eyebrows just went crazy again.

With your tune the car feels exactly like the NSX I bought back then, but just a little bit (not that little) better all around. You managed to keep it loose, but predictable and everything feels sorted out. It is a very enjoyable car to drive, even with Comfort Softs.

Being positively surprised by your NSX Tune, I started trying your tunes (mainly the Juliet, the S2000 and the Alpine) and I have to say: I like your style.

I kept these cars close to stock settings, but with the Suspension and Drivetrain upgrades:

Elise 111r: Destroys anything in a technical course. Doesn't even feel fair.(Sorry CSL. Sorry NSX.)

Alpine: Very fun car to drive. Manageable at sports hard, but a "beast" at Sports Soft. It might be slow compared to other cars, but the corner entry speeds of this thing feel like an adventure. I usually think about how far this car can go when entering a corner, and although it almost kills me it feels like it could go just a little faster if I get lucky. Again, the personality of the car is there, but it just is better all around.

S2000: Great all around car. Feels very balanced, and although it it is very loose at Sport Hards and Comfort Softs, there is no understeer, and no drama with the tail.

Ford GT(600PP): Likes to pull wheelies on Trial Mountain. Apart from that, it is a perfect car. Has a tendency to destroy his fellow supercars.

I'll be trying the RE Amemiya RX-7 and the Pinkie Pie Z over the next week. They both have 556PP, so I'm wondering who will come out on top.

I know next to nothing about car tuning, but it seems your tunes stand out from the others in one particular area: Toe settings. I have no idea if that is a good thing or not, but it was just something I noticed while trying your tunes.

I seem to be rambling again. Sorry for the wall of text.

Dont be sorry, we appreciate the comments. :D:tup: I'm happy to hear you liked the Alpine. It's one of those tunes that's risky to release because it's more like a taming tune than a racing tune, so it tends to be on the slow side. Apart from that everything is behaving as intended so I'm happy. We must have similar styles or something. :D

As for the RX-7 vs Z, I'd say both win because of how radically different they are. :D

This is honestly a borderline race report rather than a review. :lol: Really good read though. If it had pictures it would be like an article in a magazine. :P I cant really reply to anything about the car because I've said it all already. :lol: Seriously go add pictures and post it up in the race report section. ;)

Shame is, I didn't save the replays nor have anything to take pictures of it…that and the fact that I'm still a bit blind from looking at the reflection of the paint…

Now I'm wondering if I should do the M5 and Maserati one I've got planned…

Oh, and teach RJ some manners and tell him to reply to people's reviews, some people are getting the wrong idea and thinking that they're being ignored :D

About the 380RS tune, I slapped comfort hards on it and boy it was a blast to drift. Gathered over 20000 points in Cote d' Azur, u jelly brah?
troll2.gif

Well anything's a blast to drift when the tires have as much grip as ice…And you're serious about the 380RS vs GTR, right?

PM box is nearly full…wait a bit…
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM etc. (Don't ban me mods, I was joking!!!)

Anyways, Roj, will the Elise tunes work for a Vauxhall VX220? If not, I'll send it for a tune, because I got a feeling it will beat the crap out of the RE RX-7 or even the NSX when tuned right…I closing in on the RE RX-7's time as we speak, the NSX will be a bit of a reach though…

Edit: VX220 did 1:13.xxx, marginally slower than the R34.

Last edited:
Every tune? Sure?
Cause my FC3S tune has fully tuned specs. :lol:

Every tune? Sure?
Cause my FC3S tune has fully tuned specs. :lol:

Oh damn, didn't see that. Blame my blurry vision.

But still, the FC3S would be a good addition. Anyway thanks for pointing that out, Onboy123 and Roj.

Anyways, Roj, will the Elise tunes work for a Vauxhall VX220? If not, I'll send it for a tune, because I got a feeling it will beat the crap out of the RE RX-7 or even the NSX when tuned right…I closing in on the RE RX-7's time as we speak, the NSX will be a bit of a reach though…

Edit: VX220 did 1:13.xxx, marginally slower than the R34.

They probably will, but I've got a feeling it'll just end up feeling like a really fat Elise that's been designed with a ruler and then smacked with the ugly stick. A turbocharged Elise would be better.

Well, it's lighter than an Elise, has 100+hp more than an Elise, and I don't think you can put a turbo on an Elise anyway…

After driving a 550 PP (around 430 HP, I think) version of Rotary Junkie's '71 Mach 1 tune in a bunch of races I'm really curious what RKM could accomplish with other muscle cars. I can't get over how fun it is to drive for what's supposed to just be a fat boat of a car, the thing just drives like a dream. It's uncanny, the only old American car I have that comes close is the '69 Corvette Convertible, which is supposed to be a superior car to the Mach 1.

My review is probably too brief to really "earn" a tune, but if there's any interest anyway I'm happy to donate the modded cars for it:

'69 Corvette Convertible C3
- IMO this would be the most interesting to see
'69 Camaro Z/28 (standard or RM) - lots of tunes for these put up good lap times but plow through corners like mad
'70 Challenger (standard or RM) - only played with these briefly, they seem to drive like overloaded dump trucks

1995 Toyota Celica GT-Four Rally Car
And now for something completely different: An RKM style Rally Car designed for street use

Introducing the Toyota Celica GT-Four WRC!

This RKM special delivery shows up at Trial Mountain, fresh from the dealer and tuner, rumbling with 307 fresh horses, ready to push the 1200 kg platform to it's limits. Shod in Sports Hard tires, the Celica GT-Four WRC is primed and ready to take the 507 PP class by storm, and is looking forward to a chance to show it's stuff without having to worry about getting dirty or going airbourne.

After a couple of practice laps to get accustomed to the new car, I lined up on the grid for the Polyphony Digital Cup race a bit arrogant and ready to teach these cars a lesson, and I'm sure I got some strange looks from the other competitors. Starting in 7th, I'm sandwiched between the classic '69 Camaro SS and an '03 Integra Type R, but I'm looking around for my real competition... ah, there it is. An '07 GT-R starting on the pole. He's my target. He would have over 180 HP advantage if he was stock, and in this race he's probably not, and the GT-R is wearing Sports Soft tires. He'll be a tough opponent, especially since I have to pass 5 cars just to catch up to him.

The checkered flag flies on the rolling start, and I charge right up into the back of the Camaro, barley missing the impact on the fast left as I dive around to his left side and proceed to take him on the outside line on the right hander.

CelicaWRC1.jpg

The outside move pays off twice, as it sets me up for the inside move on the exit to the final high-speed left, scooting around the RX-7 that couldn't handle the corner speed that this little Celica feels like it was made for (even though it wasn't, originally)

CelicaWRC2.jpg

Coming up into the bridge turn, the S2000 plays a little defensive racing and cuts in, taking my inside line on the brakes. He was thus thouroughly surprised when I let the car go wide, then powered it on the outside line again. I'm driving aggressive through all this slow traffic, but still not a hint of tire smoke or control loss. The RX-7, liking what he's seeing out of my GT-Four, follows me around the outside of the hapless Honda.

CelicaWRC3.jpg

I'm feeling confident and aggressive now, this road-rally car is just carving it up, and my next target is an Audi S3. Easy enough, I'll just take him on the brakes going into the tight right-hander.... oh no! I waited a bit too late to brake, and there I go towards the outside wall.

CelicaWRC4.jpg

That won't help in my quest to slay the dreaded GT-R

CelicaWRC5.jpg

Luckily, the four wheel drive and rally instincts pulled me out of the dirt quick, cutting off the RX-7, and not losing too much ground to the Audi, but it delayed my pass by quite a bit. Using the draft, I pulled alongside the hatchback and pushed into third near the crest of the hill.

CelicaWRC6.jpg

All that goofing around really gave the leaders a bit of a head start on me. The GT-R in first, of course, followed by the overshadowed little brother, the Fairlady Z. Of course, those guys aren't as confident in their rides as I am, and don't push the corners nearly as hard as I can in the RKM Toyota. I impolitely nudge the Fairlady out of the way, as the GT-R has distanced himself from the pack, and I'm impatient to get on his tail. It'll be a tough chase given his power advantage.

CelicaWRC7.jpg

Wow, tough chase wasn't an exaggeration. I'm reeling him in through the turns, but then he's stretching out again on the straights. Hmmm... red with gold rims? Could it be...? Naaaah.

CelicaWRC8.jpg

Lap three, and I'm getting tired of the bungee racing, but I've finally got him in my sights

CelicaWRC9.jpg

And I've got him on the brakes going into the tunnel.

CelicaWRC10.jpg

For the last couple of laps, the bungee battle plays in reverse. I stretch my lead in the twisties, he closes the gap in the straights. He's got the advantage in power, draft, and lack of human error, but all those perks are nothing compared to the handling of the RKM tune. By time I reach the checkered flag, the Nissan flagship is just a red blur in my rear-view mirror.

CelicaWRC11.jpg

Best Lap Time: 1:36.698
Final HP: 309 Final PP: 508

Report Card:

Speed: 8/10 Off the line, the car feels very quick, and it pushes about as hard as the 300 horses can go. The gearing is very close ratio; this is not a car you can have in one gear for any length of timebut the transmission is set up pretty much perfectly for top end on Trial Mountain, hitting about 143 MpH on the back straight as it approaches red line.

Braking: 10/10 This car can stop on a dime, and won't complain about it. The biggest adjustment I had to make in this car was getting used to the short stopping distance, and not slowing too much for a corner.

Cornering: 9/10 Even late braking, I had no issues with sliding going into a corner, nothing but stable and sure-footed. Mid-corner speeds were average to slightly below average for an RKM tune... but that's comparing it to RKM tunes on Sport Soft tires. This car was two tire classes lower, and it was barely noticeable in corner speed. On exit, there was no spin, no slide, no red tires, just a perfectly neutral pull staying on the chosen racing line. The balanced set-up seemed to prefer the normal Out-In-Out line, as no compensation was needed for over- or under-steer. Whatever line the driver chose, the car was there, comfortable and solid.

Overall: 8/10 At 507 PP, this car sits between the RKM Atenza and the RKM Golf R32, and the lap time was about even with the Atenza, and a couple seconds slower than the Golf. However, both of those cars were built on Sport Soft tires, which can easily be a 2-5 second difference depending on the car. While no other RKM cars I've tested are comparable for the tire/PP combination, I've got to say that this car does an admirable job of getting around the track quickly, and with a few more races, I may be close to matching the R32's lap time on the Sports Hard tires.

Fun factor: 9/10 I was expecting this car to drive more like the Golf R32... Powering through corners with a bit of controlled drifting and tire smoke. Instead, Roj set up a grip monster that I couldn't get to slide at all while actually racing. While a bit of drift may have been more fun, it wouldn't have been near as fast, and I look forward to putting this car to the test.

Final Thoughts: What started as a rally racer, built for sliding through corners in a low traction environment, has turned into a street car with perfect balance and grip, even on the lesser tires. Ths car has forgotten it's rally heritage; I wonder if Roj did a Frankenstein style brain swap with the Weddsport Celica to convince this machine to rail through corners rather than slide. Terrific car! It may not have been what I expected... it's better than that!

After I posted my review, I read this... well, I guess if that bordered on a race report, my review blew up the border and kept the pieces for souvenirs. I just wanted plenty of pics to show off the awesome new ride :)

Roj, which of these cars do you think has the closest chance in taking the M3 CSL down or even just getting near it?

Subaru Impreza 22B
TVR T350C
Shelby Series One Supercharged
Mercedes SLK 230

Not the most elaborate or obvious choices, I know, but hey, there's a car from each country that is important to the automotive world…Japan, Britain, America (ok, maybe not this one…opinions will differ) and Germany :D

And now for something completely different: An RKM style Rally Car designed for street use

This RKM special delivery shows up at Trial Mountain, fresh from the dealer and tuner, rumbling with 307 fresh horses, ready to push the 1200 kg platform to it's limits. Shod in Sports Hard tires, the Celica GT-Four WRC is primed and ready to take the 507 PP class by storm, and is looking forward to a chance to show it's stuff without having to worry about getting dirty or going airbourne.

Final Thoughts: What started as a rally racer, built for sliding through corners in a low traction environment, has turned into a street car with perfect balance and grip, even on the lesser tires. Ths car has forgotten it's rally heritage; I wonder if Roj did a Frankenstein style brain swap with the Weddsport Celica to convince this machine to rail through corners rather than slide. Terrific car! It may not have been what I expected... it's better than that!

Haha very good ,fantastic realy, i feel this race looking the pics.... Very good ,more more..

Well, it's lighter than an Elise, has 100+hp more than an Elise, and I don't think you can put a turbo on an Elise anyway…
It's still a chavved up Elise. And yes, you can turbo an Elise.
After driving a 550 PP (around 430 HP, I think) version of Rotary Junkie's '71 Mach 1 tune in a bunch of races I'm really curious what RKM could accomplish with other muscle cars. I can't get over how fun it is to drive for what's supposed to just be a fat boat of a car, the thing just drives like a dream. It's uncanny, the only old American car I have that comes close is the '69 Corvette Convertible, which is supposed to be a superior car to the Mach 1.

My review is probably too brief to really "earn" a tune, but if there's any interest anyway I'm happy to donate the modded cars for it:

'69 Corvette Convertible C3
- IMO this would be the most interesting to see
'69 Camaro Z/28 (standard or RM) - lots of tunes for these put up good lap times but plow through corners like mad
'70 Challenger (standard or RM) - only played with these briefly, they seem to drive like overloaded dump trucks
I think this one is something RJ would end up doing. I dont know if I'd ever do a Camaro or Challenger RM tune because I like MFT's settings for them. :lol:

Thanks for the review/race report! :lol: Glad you liked the Celica. At first I was a bit iffy on the sports hard tyres but this car convinced me otherwise. :D

But yeah, for a car of it's spec, it's very quick and to take down cars with 180 more horsepower is amazing. :D And no, no brain surgery or hypnosis needed, all I had to do was remind the Celica that tarmac rally stages exist. :lol:

To everyone else, this Celica will be released here sometime soon. :D
After I posted my review, I read this... well, I guess if that bordered on a race report, my review blew up the border and kept the pieces for souvenirs. I just wanted plenty of pics to show off the awesome new ride :)
RKM Border Patrol are looking for you. ;)
Roj, which of these cars do you think has the closest chance in taking the M3 CSL down or even just getting near it?

Subaru Impreza 22B
TVR T350C
Shelby Series One Supercharged
Mercedes SLK 230

Not the most elaborate or obvious choices, I know, but hey, there's a car from each country that is important to the automotive world…Japan, Britain, America (ok, maybe not this one…opinions will differ) and Germany :D
Too understeery.
Best bet but it might not be as planted to the road.
It'll accelerate faster but might struggle to match the CSL's cornering speed.
Not a chance.

:)

Back