RKPhotography - Motorsport Ranch 2013

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 150 comments

McLaren

Premium
United States
Texas
I decided to follow the crowd and post up my own photography thread.

I did edit a lot of the pictures how merely because I don't think they serve any purpose other than your usual visitor shots instead something really good.
-----------------------------------
I went to the Dallas Zoo not too long ago, and thought it would give me a chance to try shooting animals again, since I feel my photos of Galveston's animals were somewhat ok, could have been better.
Now, ever since I got the D40, I have noticed 1 thing. All my photos are now limited by the 18-55mm lens. Thus, I'm trying to get a great lens that will allow either 200mm or 300mm, and have no problem capturing moving objects.

First exhibit was the Lemurs. This exhibit requires a pretty decent lens as the animals like to hide in the middle. As you can see below, 55 isn't close enough to capture the animal up close. I'm hoping a 200mm would get close enough to even see what the food in his hand.
dsc0386gq4.jpg

Shot of the waterfall. I can't help but feel I could have gone a better way with it.
dsc0404qf2.jpg

I would have liked to have zoomed in a little more, but the picture came out pretty well considering I was shooting through glass that normally is full of little kids' finger prints.
dsc0428yl7.jpg

This bird was in a little enclosure that had a fence with tiny holes. Being so, I am amazed the camera focused on the bird and not the fence.
dsc0434up5.jpg

Turkey.
dsc0443xh8.jpg

These 2 shots were taken in that area, & I tried to do something "artistic" with them.
dsc0462ii7.jpg
dsc0458nu1.jpg

Every once in a while, I'll occasionally get a good shot. This one isn't spectacular, but it came out just fine, imo.
dsc0495ah3.jpg

Not perfect, but ok?
dsc0543ib9.jpg

There were a ton of other actually ok photos including some Bald Eagles, but they were all your usual zoo photos (the fences were also in them pretty badly). Thus, I put these up to show how I do with a camera, & I think I do pretty decently when given the right elements. Anyways, advice is welcome (just don't be too harsh :nervous: ), including what lens I should buy.

Last edited:
Some nice shots there, I really like the lizard and snake ones. If you're having trouble focusing just whack it into manual focus mode, it's very easy to do in the D40 and will give you good control over your focusing and stop the camera from 'seeing' the fence or the window. I have a D50 myself and I've never really had many problems with the camera focusing on a window instead of the background... What focus point setup are you using?

As for the lens, I've no real recommendations since I only use a 55-200mm Nikkor for my closer shots and that came with the camera kit. It's very basic but it does the job, although I'm sure you could buy a better lens for the money.

Some nice shots there, I really like the lizard and snake ones. If you're having trouble focusing just whack it into manual focus mode, it's very easy to do in the D40 and will give you good control over your focusing and stop the camera from 'seeing' the fence or the window. I have a D50 myself and I've never really had many problems with the camera focusing on a window instead of the background... What focus point setup are you using?

As for the lens, I've no real recommendations since I only use a 55-200mm Nikkor for my closer shots and that came with the camera kit. It's very basic but it does the job, although I'm sure you could buy a better lens for the money.
My problem with manual focusing is I can't seem to tell (or understand for a better term) if it is or isn't focusing. I flip it into manual, adjust the lens, but really never looks or gives some sort of sign (light, sound, something) of what is focused.

Reventón;3146771
My problem with manual focusing is I can't seem to tell (or understand for a better term) if it is or isn't focusing. I flip it into manual, adjust the lens, but really never looks or gives some sort of sign (light, sound, something) of what is focused.

That's the point of Manual Focus, it lets you decide what is focused. If what you want to draw attention is sharp through the viewfinder, then you've focused on something. If you think that you've focused on something but it's still turning up soft when you take the images off-camera, then take more time to focus, it does take time to do it exactly porperly. Another feature to check out is your camera's onbaord perscription compensation function, something most dSLR's have these days. If it isn't calibrated properly then even if you focus something perfectly, it won't actually be capturing that sharpness that your eyes see through the viewfinder.

For the longest time when I got a dSLR, I took pride in my own manual focus. As time goes by, most of the time you'll just end up using AF to do it exactly properly (my camera's AF is amazingly reliable) unless you want some specific effect or feature highlighted.

Last edited:
Well, I've been relying on AF a lot. But tonight (and you'll see below if they turn out well) that I tried manual. I can tell what it is and what isn't focused easily by rotating the end of the lens to either side, but in between, my lens requires me to be very precise on what I want focused. The shortest amount of rotation will turn what I had focused onto something else.

But, on to my next set. I got a new lens a week or so ago, a Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3. The new zoom is terrific and will greatly be needed for next year's Concorso events. But, tonight, it worked really well (or so I hope; I'm typing this before the final photos are shown).

cgtrl0.jpg

A test shot of sorts. I have noticed that if the camera's zoom is too close, it won't focus and won't take the picture. Manual focusing seems to take car of that, but requires some precision. Also out of a bit out of focus.

cgt1tw5.jpg

Would have liked to have gotten less of the ground, and angled a bit better with the statue.

cgt2di9.jpg

Lovin' my new lens. :)

cgt3ek7.jpg

Again, would have liked less of the ground, and more of the statue in focus. But, I have now learned the importance of a tripod. I had to set the camera on the ground as the shutter took around 5 seconds to take the photo, and I learned it is impossible to be completely still.

cgt4om1.jpg

cgt6pu6.jpg

Playing with the zoom on these. Encountered the 5 seconds for the picture to take, and thus, both of these are taken on the ground. I guess I can say I have now learned what shutter speed is. But regardless, I'm extremely happy with how precise the AF can be. Can't wait to test it on a real car's badge. :P

cgt5bf7.jpg

cgt7mi4.jpg

2 shots I'm glad came out this way seeing as my night shots normally turn out very grainy. :grumpy:

Last edited:
All shots are composed exceptionally well. You're on to something here! The extreme DOF (depth of field) helps tremendously, and you'll find it really hard to wrangle that kind of isolation with real subjects. What you have now is looking awesome though. You've obviously got a lot to learn about exposure and technique, as some are looking a little gloomy, but you're onto the right track for sure. Keep it up, and go out and get some real shots with the TL or 5 and report back, I'd be glad to help you out!

Thanks for offering to help. I'm positive I'll need it much in the future. :)

A small & quick update with the same theme. My home & surrounding area isn't very ideal, so I try to make due with the plants & pool for a backdrop.

I went out a little later than yesterday, so I had the porch light. However, these were the only 2 shots I was happy with as the AF didn't focus on the right sections of the car.

gs1uo9.jpg

The first photo didn't focus on the car, but it did a pretty good job, imo, of capturing everything around it.

gs2es0.jpg

2nd photo was a bit out of focus. Still semi-pleased.

I would suggest moving the car closer to the camera in both shots.

Have to agree with Omnis, or alternatively try using a bit more of that zoom you've got there! I must admit I've been doing the same thing you've done here, going outside with my model cars to take shots. I like your idea of the the two Gallardo shots with the lamp post kind of thing in the background makes it have a intresting composition. Just a slightly closer picture would have made them good! Anyway, keep it up. I'm still learning with my DSLR half the time I don't know what buttons to press but I just keep experimenting with it and I feel as though I getting a better knowledge of the camera.

You're taking photos of a car, but neither car is in focus. Take advantage of digital photography and check your shots as you pull them to see if you got the focus correctly. It's easy to tell if what you wanted focused is sharp, even on the tiny LCD screen. Having something "growing" out of the car is also pretty much the first rule of thumb of car photography, and right now the Gallardo's got a big lamp sticking out of the roof.

An update to report back on, taking Exige's advice, I made sure the poll wasn't behind the light. However, looks like it focused on the mirror and called it quits. :dunce:
6s2lp1.jpg

Second shot, I went at the statue in the background again. Almost had it imo, except part of the old carpet got in the shot, and the car isn't completely focused. :ouch:
6s5fr8.jpg

BTW, I wouldn't mind your opinions on these 2 thumbnails. I shot these back in late July before the new lens.

Now, I remember Exige asking me to take some real photos of the TL, so I tried to do something creative by getting some interior shots. And yes. I know the car is quite dirty on the inside.
dsc0597sz2.jpg

dsc0596rz4.jpg

dsc0598dr4.jpg

dsc0599ad9.jpg

Reventón;3146819
2 shots I'm glad came out this way seeing as my night shots normally turn out very grainy. :grumpy:

Check the ISO rating; if it's a high number = more grain, but at night, if you're not using long exposures, it's a sacrifice you have to make.

Puttin' the new lens to the test. A baby blue LP640 in the Rain in West End.

dsc0587ju0.jpg

Wet badge.

dsc0590fb3.jpg
dsc0595at9.jpg

Kid & his dad in the shot were not exactly welcomed, but I can't help that.
Also went for a side shot.

dsc0598ou2.jpg

This isn't anywhere near the most artistic shot, but I like how it captured the rain.

dsc0612gc9.jpg

Another weird shot to include, but for me, I finally captured a car in the exact center of a photo, horizontal wise. And while that normally isn't the best thing (from what I've read), I think the car's color helps keep the focus on it.

dsc0620qm2.jpg

I like this shot. End of story, if you don't. :P

dsc0627nv2.jpg

Another badge shot.

dsc0629tm8.jpg

From the front over the top.

I do have strong feelings most won't like these shots, or consider them very artistic, but for me, I think I did ok. I really think the car's baby blue helped set the shots, so that the eye would always be drawn back to the light blue in the photos. The lens cover normally used for shade helped a lot in the rain as well. But, I was told to put the camera on a real car, and what better way to test a camera than a baby blue Lambo in the rain in downtown Dallas? ;)

I'm also throwing this in here, as I was happy with the turnout of it.
dsc0602hr6.jpg

I would def. have loved to taken this shot at night with the guy under the light. :)

You can see the rest of the LP photos in my other Gallery thread later on tonight tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Just a couple quick comments on the M6 shots. You don't want to shoot near things that make the car actually look like a model. That's the point of using models, try to find something to shoot by that doesn't make the fact that its a model evident. Speedster's got that going on, check his stuff to know what I mean. First shot isn't sharp enough, second one is too tilted for my eyes, but that's just taste.

Murcy shots now. I'm no expert, so my commentary is just personal preference. I really don't want to seem like a judge or expert or anything.

1. Badge. Rule of thirds, cliche but it works most of the time.

2. Tower. Ropes are in the way, obviously, but I know you couldn't do anything about that. People can move, even if it takes several minutes, just wait for them to get out of your shot. I like this one overall though! I like to resize portrait shots smaller than 600x800 as it's not as vast to take in. They don't always fit in people's browser either.

3. Tail. I like the crop! A little overexposed, again person in the shot. Moving back and longer zoom could've had the gentleman behind the car and maybe the annoying Open sign. Water droplets work too.

4. Profile. I like to keep backgrounds in profile shots to be as horizontal as well, matching the side-view of the car. I would suggest keeping the profile shot but cropping the car into the bottom corner of the photo.

5. Towers II. Step forward, less zoom and those wires and branches are right out of frame!

6. Badge II. See, much better!!! Water works too!

7. Nose. Don't really like this shot too much. People again.

Overall, lookin' good! I don't want to sound judgemental or rude, so hopefully you'll take the comments for the best! 5's my favorite.

Gallardo thumbnails. In general, avoid shooting cars at unnatural angles that your eye isn't used to seeing, which is a trap easy to fall into with models where you can get any angle. The birds-eye-view however works amazingly from a graphic point of view, grat composition! Me like!

Last edited:
Wish I had something like that to test my camera out on! Nice shots, I think Exige has covered most of the points that I would say!

Okay, it looks like the line-post is the subject of this shot. I think you should have put it more to the edge of the frame so our eye goes more to the car instead. Also, try spot-metering the car so the exposure is right.

Photoshoot today with the TL.
dsc05892df0.jpg

dsc05902ve7.jpg

dsc05912hv9.jpg

dsc05982ri0.jpg

dsc05992ft1.jpg

dsc05942yh7.jpg

Not super nice, but I think playing with Corel's little borders & effects made them appear nicer. :)

Reventón;3215971
I think this shot might look better with really deep contrast. Others might not agree, but I've never been a fan of plain B&W shots. I like a vibrant contrast that makes the highlights of, say, the chrome edges to the Type S badge stand out from the shadows underneath. I'd also like to see a color version. I think this is a really neat shot.

oH my, the 3rd gen TL is such a beautifl car :)

And the D40 is also a terrific camera :)

Lovely shots too. Great composition and exposure of both the car and the sky on the last one. Although im not a huge fan of the extreme tilt.

As for the badge shot, it is never a good idea to take a pic of something in the shadow against a backlit sky. Re-positioning the car to suit the light would have done the trick

Some photos from the Toy Run. I originally had no intentions of trying to get anything really nice, but I'm happy/content with these. They also show where I'm progressing in focusing in many of them. Now, I just need to start using the manual way so I can really get what I want focused.

dsc0596vz7.jpg

Lamborghini Murcielago

dsc0604gb9.jpg

Shelby Cobra

dsc0607uv0.jpg

Ferrari 575M Maranello

dsc0625ah5.jpg

dsc0626bw1.jpg

dsc0629xl0.jpg

Porsche Carrera GT

dsc0643bn8.jpg

dsc0642sf3.jpg

Acura NSX 2nd Gen.

dsc0649xu8.jpg

Classic Maserati

dsc0660hn4.jpg

dsc0657uo6.jpg

Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster

dsc0658yx7.jpg

Lamborghini Countach

I really should have taken advantage of the sky as well. It looked pretty amazing at certain points. Any other photos I took will come with a bunch of others in the Spring in a massive update in my old thread on what I've encountered. :)

BTW, I am also spending a little more time in the post-editing area as you can tell from the borders. IMO, they really help give the pictures a better look, and I'd love to start trying that effect that posts a circle around the center of the photo, blacking out the corners.

Very nice shots mate. You really are Mr. Lamborghini of GTP :)

On a side note, I really am looking forward to coming back to California in the summer, It's simply the greatest place I've ever been:bowdown: I guess thats because it's such an outlandish and relaxed lifestyle that feels 'airy' if you can understand 👍

Over the past week, I have been doing some reflecting on the past year. Of the subjects I wondered about, my photography was very thought-provoking. Being so, I have decided to re-release 12 of my favorite photos with quite a bit of post-editing as a way of "updating" them.

They are not my greatest, nor were they my first choice, but in the end, I felt these 12 deserved more of my time. As said, they are all pretty well edited except for the animals which mainly received increased saturation to bring out their colors. I feel I have hopefully increased the beauty and look of these 12 significantly over their stock shots. The idea has also provoked me to think of a monthly photo, but I have not decided if its worth the time.

Either way, I hope you like them as they are my first work with post-editing. :)

100_4075.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

100_2966.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

Last edited:
May I make a small suggestion then for the Sepia photo. I know I'm no expert on stuff but the image to me seems abit flat. Mabye if you went over it using this tutorial (http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Sepia_Toning/) it may bring abit of life into it.

This isn't meant in a bad way, I'm just suggesting a slight change. Still a great image. Would you be kind enough to share a high-res shot of that classic mas. You got the colours purrfect on that!

I will take a look at it, then, thanks. 👍

But you'll have to tell me which photo is the "classic mas". I can only assume its the last one as its the only one full of colors. :)

Back