Road America

Road America v2.0

Germany
Dresden
Patrick8308
Patrick8308 submitted a new resource:

Road America - Close to original track length,course,curbing and objects. Elevation not original but great incline.

Replica of Road America v1.0

After creating an image based v0.1 on Eifel Flat which turned out to be pretty boring - despite correct curbing and objects - due to lack of elevation I decided to rebuild the track on Eifel.

v1.0 Release Notes:

Track length and elements
  • track length only 75 m off original
  • all element lengths measured in a Google Earth image
  • every radius and straight very close to original
Curbing and...

Read more about this resource...

I spent 1/2 hour or so lapping your rendition of Road America last night. I like it a lot. It has a nice flow to it. I only had one issue and that was with braking on a downhill at the end of a long straight into a 2nd gear corner. I do not know if I was constantly carrying to much speed or whether there is a hidden bump or something that is getting the car all squirrely under braking. I will have to drive it some more to figure it out. Anyway, it is a lot of fun and I really appreciate the elevation changes even if they do not actually match to real track perfectly. It is a lot better than a flat track. Thanks.

I think the version done by gtp_motzman is mildly better from the 4 others I've tried.
Getting used to the elevation change is a bit odd for someone who knows this track IRL.

I'll have to try that. Though I recognized that version was build on Eifel Flat. So I'm not quite sure if I would share your impressions. Like I mentioned I tried to rebuild the track on Eifel Flat first but the result was simply boring and missing character.

On the other hand I know that the different from orginal elevation might feel a bit strange to the ones who know the track IRL. But with the limits of the Course Maker so far my focus was on creating a correct track length (with correct straight and corner lengths) and try to at least rebuild some track parts as close to the orginal as possible.

I've tried the version by @motzkopf made on Eifel Flat and it is very good, probably the best version there is at the moment using that format.

I can live with the fact that the elevation on this version does not mirror the real thing, because ultimately it's a lot of fun to drive and race on and a different experience from flat versions. Whether either is better than the other is purely subjective - I like both approaches and will keep both tracks. Because I can :):P

Patrick8308 updated Road America with a new update entry:

Major Update - track length and route revised, elevation absolutely perfected

- track length (6.520 m) now only ca. 5 m off original length
- route revised - completely new drawn track: every radius and straight length is now just about original
- track width reduced from 12 to 10 m to capture original width (averagely 9 - 10 m) better
- the elevation changes are now spot on
- the height levels and slopes throughout a lap are virtually correct
- every corner, every braking zone feels just right

Enjoy Road America 2.0 !

Read the rest of this update entry...

The only thing missing is the Corvette bridge. Otherwise this track is perfect! Not in a million years did I expect this! I don't suppose there is some way to get that bridge put in, Patrick8308?

The only thing missing is the Corvette bridge. Otherwise this track is perfect! Not in a million years did I expect this! I don't suppose there is some way to get that bridge put in, Patrick8308?

I'm quite aware of that and to be honest it kind of frustrated me that I wasn't able to include that one last bridge as well. A few atempts including even redisigning the track showed no effort. It seems that the specific element sequence of straight and radii in that part of the track is the reason for those greyed areas where no scenery objects could be placed.

But many thanks that you still like the track. I'm pretty proud of it as I've tried to perfect the elevation and the result really pleased me.

I'm quite aware of that and to be honest it kind of frustrated me that I wasn't able to include that one last bridge as well. A few atempts including even redisigning the track showed no effort. It seems that the specific element sequence of straight and radii in that part of the track is the reason for those greyed areas where no scenery objects could be placed.

But many thanks that you still like the track. I'm pretty proud of it as I've tried to perfect the elevation and the result really pleased me.
You have every right to be proud of it. It's an awesome recreation! My brothers, father, and I all race together on your track whenever we have the chance. My family and I attended an IndyCar race at the real track last summer, and we sat on the hill just before the Corvette bridge. Afterwards, they held the Pirelli World Challenge, and I hiked through the woods down to Canada corner, then took the footpath that runs alongside the Kettle Bottoms all the way over to the Carousel, cars racing around the whole time. That was a memorable day!

Back