RoboRace - An autonomous support series for Formula EOpen Wheel 

Co9A1qoVMAAbo6v.jpg:large

I'm honestly very excited.

This is the coolest racing car ever designed. I swear.

I'm pretty sure that the Daniel Simon who designed this car is the same Daniel Simon who designed vehicles for Tron Legacy, Prometheus and Captain America: The First Avenger - but more to the point, he designed the infamous This Could Be YOU! livery for the HRT F111.

I'm pretty sure that the Daniel Simon who designed this car is the same Daniel Simon who designed vehicles for Tron Legacy, Prometheus and Captain America: The First Avenger - but more to the point, he designed the infamous This Could Be YOU! livery for the HRT F111.
It is.

So there's no actual driver to support? Just "oh I like this team best". Can't see this being any kind of success eyeballs on screens wise after the 3rd race.

Yawn...

My point is how are you going to attract any fans from the 'casual fan' group when all there is to go for is a car that drives itself?

It's an interesting technical challenge and I'll probably watch atleast highlights but I don't see this being anything more than just that, a technical challenge for the participants.

I'll give this a chance! If the racing is spectacular and exciting to watch I could see myself watching this on a regular basis. I find the concept very interesting and a lot will depend on how this series wants to promoto and connect itself among motorsport enthusiasts.

Interest among casual motorsports fans will probably fade off fast unless something really compelling happens in the first couple events, largely because media interest in self-driving road cars has tanked in the last few months and they probably won't give more than a cursory mention. There'll definitely be much more attention coming from more dedicated gearheads though, especially the groups who argue that Formula 1 is an "engineer's sport" now and that the drivers are holding the cars back from their full potential.

My only compkaint is that it seems to be moving at a snails pace. Is this series ever going to actually happen?

(Forgive me if they've made a statement on this matter)

Co9A1qoVMAAbo6v.jpg:large

I'm honestly very excited.

The image says the cars will have 360 degree TV cameras onboard. Does that mean it's an F1 camera that only spins around on a flat plane and is controlled by the production staff, or is it an actual 360 degree camera that can be viewed in two planes (up/down, left/right) and controlled by the viewer?

Say what you want about autonomous racing, but I've always felt that the freedom in design is one of the most exciting things to come from human-free racecars. I can't wait to see the racetracks of the future filled with RB X1s, Chapparal 2Xs and Tomahawks, all flying around at 400+ km/h WipeOut style. I still love human centered motorsport, but I hope autonomous racing can exist and flourish alongside it as an equal 👍

Say what you want about autonomous racing, but I've always felt that the freedom in design is one of the most exciting things to come from human-free racecars. I can't wait to see the racetracks of the future filled with RB X1s, Chapparal 2Xs and Tomahawks, all flying around at 400+ km/h WipeOut style. I still love human centered motorsport, but I hope autonomous racing can exist and flourish alongside it as an equal 👍

Completely agree with you here. I will always enjoy human auto racing, but the unfortunate truth is that there's a limit with our physical strengths and weaknesses. A Red Bull X2010 can pull up to eight G's in tight turns. Fighter pilots can pass out forces that high. Imagine how harmful an hour-long race will be to someone's body.

Human auto racing should always test the abilities man and machine, but autonomous racing will truly test technology. When you eliminate the human element of these cars, you remove the most significant limitations. No more cockpits, driver safety devices, communication equipment, windshields on open wheel cars, etc. In the place of those, you can now fit banks of computers, cooling fans, and battery packs. The cars will lose a considerable amount of weight and become even more streamlined. No more windows means closed bodies that can be as rigid as the teams want. This is extremely exciting and I can't wait to see how far these vehicles will go.

Dan
The image says the cars will have 360 degree TV cameras onboard. Does that mean it's an F1 camera that only spins around on a flat plane and is controlled by the production staff, or is it an actual 360 degree camera that can be viewed in two planes (up/down, left/right) and controlled by the viewer?

Is it even possible to do live streams with 360 degree cameras?

Is it even possible to do live streams with 360 degree cameras?

Hmm. That is something I didn't consider. It will be one helluva technical challenge to make it possible, but within a few years, I think companies will find a way to make it work. Until then, I guess viewers will have to settle with F1 car cameras. :/

Back