Rockford files 1.06 - continuity error related to Firebird - answers?

United States
Wasilla, AK
In season 1, episode 6 of The Rockford Files (a rather excellent TV show, far superior to a certain other show. Trust me on that, or just go watch it on Netflix) I noticed a rather interesting continuity error - in at least one shot (multiple according to IMDb), Rockford's 1974 Pontiac Firebird is replaced by a 1977 model. The episode was aired in 1974, so that particular version of the Firebird wouldn't exist for another three years, and rectangular headlights weren't even legal in 1974.

I can think of no reasonable explanation for this error. Does anyone here happen to know?

I can think of two reasons:

1. Netflix mislabled the episode. Rockford always drove the latest version of the car on the show, however, after the 1975-1977 seasons, stock footage of those models were used on some sequences to cut down on production costs.

2. Rockford actually drove the prototype of the later model car.

It is one of those goofs that you don't notice until get it pointed it out to you. It doesn't take away from the value that the show provides.

I can think of two reasons:

1. Netflix mislabled the episode. Rockford always drove the latest version of the car on the show, however, after the 1975-1977 seasons, stock footage of those models were used on some sequences to cut down on production costs.

2. Rockford actually drove the prototype of the later model car.

It is one of those goofs that you don't notice until get it pointed it out to you. It doesn't take away from the value that the show provides.

1. Didn't think about that one. Thing is, the '77 only shows up in a small handful of shots, with the normal '74 appearing in all the rest. Also, I noticed it the first time.

2. I thought of that too, but you wouldn't think GM would prototype something like a new front end three years in advance, and you wouldn't think they'd give it to a studio for a handful of shots in one episode.

I'll have to look into it more. Maybe a Rockford Files fan site admin would be able to confirm or deny the mislabeled episode theory.

we're also talking 70's TV, here. it's probably solid stock footage (i caught reruns of this in the 80's on my gramma's portable 10 inch black-and-white, so I wouldna noticed)

Okay, I talked to an actual owner of one of these back in the day, and he said that it is a simple illusion. The headlights in the car come with beauty rings in '74, and they are actually round, however, look at it at the right angle, and they can appear to be rectangular, even though the headlight itself is round.

So what you are seeing in the episode is the light from the headlight being reflected off the beauty rings. It is still a '74 model.

In case anyone was wondering, rectangular headlights were legal in '76.

I saw the episode mentioned, it was on a local tv channel that shows old tv shows, and it had the date listed as October 25, 1974, even the how lists showed it to be in 1974. I say it it was a early prototype for the 1977 model because it indeed had twin rectangular headlight on each side as well as the wrap arounfmd rear window that appeared in the 1975 models, nd it was not illusion as someone else mentioned.

Back