Rolling start needs to be closer!

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 38 comments
Germany
Berlin, Germany
bmxmitch1
The rolling starts are just boring IMO!
Instead of a 1sec gap, we need something like 0.2 to 0.5 secs.

Grid starts also work somehow. Theyre chaotic, but fun and exciting! The complete opposite to rolling starts right now...

What do you guys and girls think about that?
I know it will be more chaos and penalties, but thats the whole thrill about a start, right!?
Its the most exciting moment in any race and should also in GTS.

I know, PD most likely wont change it. Still, a man can dream!? :)

Last edited:
Yeah... The LeMans race last week was just for giggles if you start further back than 4-5 Position because of that chicane.
Same for Suzuka, LagoMaggiore Reverse, Alsace, RedBullRing

They really need to work on that.

Some cars get a significant advantage over others on standing starts sadly, so outside one make races, they have to keep using rolling starts in FIAs. What could and should be done is to have 2 lane rolling starts, with the cars being much closer.

How about they just put the cars side by side before last turn and then let everyone start at same place? Don’t know why it’s so hard to copy any other racing sim out there.

I agree! The "built in" rolling starts are way too spread out, and the standing starts give a clear advantage to some cars.

We tried in the league I race in a few weeks ago a Manual Rolling start, leader decides go point, it worked wonderfully, kept the pack together, and made for a great race.

I agree! The "built in" rolling starts are way too spread out, and the standing starts give a clear advantage to some cars.

We tried in the league I race in a few weeks ago a Manual Rolling start, leader decides go point, it worked wonderfully, kept the pack together, and made for a great race.

Or this.
The leader decides. As soon as he accelerates, the rest can too.
So we would have the thrill of a safety car start. :)

Some cars get a significant advantage over others on standing starts sadly, so outside one make races, they have to keep using rolling starts in FIAs. What could and should be done is to have 2 lane rolling starts, with the cars being much closer.

This happens in real life, so why is that such a bad thing? Often the cars that are fastest off the line (4WD's) suffer in other aspects due to BOP.

Don't most motorsport races utilize a rolling start? Or does it depend on the category?

I'd say more series have standing starts than rolling. Most Touring Car and Formula series have standing starts . I can only really think of Endurance and Oval racing that have rolling starts.

If they did this they’d need to decrease slipstream strength. Otherwise 2nd would overtake before T1 on quite a few tracks which is just dumb.

Some starting positions get a clear advantage too. Currently at Monza if you start 19th you can pass 18th easily before turn 1. Start 20th though and it's awkward and the gap to 19th is too big anyway. This is far from the worse track with regards to rolling starts too, as it's not as if you are handed control in the middle of a chicane like at other tracks.

I'd say more series have standing starts than rolling. Most Touring Car and Formula series have standing starts . I can only really think of Endurance and Oval racing that have rolling starts.

Imsa multi-class road course racing has rolling starts in waves by class for all of the events I have followed.

Yes, I think this is something PD could do better with.

I guess standing starts are fine, but it does seem to increase the turn 1 chaos, which is no doubt the idea behind the rolling starts.
I don't mind them, but I tend to opt away from standing starts when choosing a lobby to race in.

Custom races allow you to alter the distance between cars in a rolling start, so the option is already available in-game for PD to utilise.
I think they need to look at each track individually and alter the rolling starts accordingly, because as some have mentioned, some start positions on certain tracks when the lights go green can be a nightmare depending on your grid position.

They could either release the pole sitter further up home straight to allow all cars to be on home straight when the race begins.
They could close the gap between cars to allow all cars to be on home straight when the race begins.
Or they could consider 2 wide rolling starts for the very awkward tracks.

I don't mind the rolling starts, and possibly even prefer them to standing starts, but having to tip-toe around a chicane apex while the the entire field ahead of you are just flat out on a straight can be very frustrating, and sometimes if you are not careful, race ruining.

This happens in real life, so why is that such a bad thing? Often the cars that are fastest off the line (4WD's) suffer in other aspects due to BOP.

Formula series and touring car series have all the same layout, tyre dimensions and very similar power output. All series with varying types of cars opt for rolling starts. GT3 and GTE races, rolling start. GT500, rolling start. Super Taikyu, rolling start.

In GT Sport, the races are currently so short that an advantage in standing starts would affect massively the end results. We've run test lobbies to do some research about potential tweaks to FIA races, standing starts even in Gr.3 makes qualy just useless for some cars. When you lose 8 positions before reaching turn one (false start option turned off so no human factor there), there's no point in doing a 15 minutes race.

Yes, I think this is something PD could do better with.

I guess standing starts are fine, but it does seem to increase the turn 1 chaos, which is no doubt the idea behind the rolling starts.
I don't mind them, but I tend to opt away from standing starts when choosing a lobby to race in.

Custom races allow you to alter the distance between cars in a rolling start, so the option is already available in-game for PD to utilise.
I think they need to look at each track individually and alter the rolling starts accordingly, because as some have mentioned, some start positions on certain tracks when the lights go green can be a nightmare depending on your grid position.

They could either release the pole sitter further up home straight to allow all cars to be on home straight when the race begins.
They could close the gap between cars to allow all cars to be on home straight when the race begins.
Or they could consider 2 wide rolling starts for the very awkward tracks.

I don't mind the rolling starts, and possibly even prefer them to standing starts, but having to tip-toe around a chicane apex while the the entire field ahead of you are just flat out on a straight can be very frustrating, and sometimes if you are not careful, race ruining.

I think the 'fairest' option (not necessarily the most realistic) would be to have each car on auto drive until it crosses the start line. A bit like how rally cars are released at set intervals, only you're already rolling at a set speed.

That way each player gains control of their car at the same point on the track and at the same speed and whilst setting off in a straight line.

Formula series and touring car series have all the same layout, tyre dimensions and very similar power output. All series with varying types of cars opt for rolling starts. GT3 and GTE races, rolling start. GT500, rolling start. Super Taikyu, rolling start.

Which are all endurance series as per my post.

In GT Sport, the races are currently so short that an advantage in standing starts would affect massively the end results. We've run test lobbies to do some research about potential tweaks to FIA races, standing starts even in Gr.3 makes qualy just useless for some cars. When you lose 8 positions before reaching turn one (false start option turned off so no human factor there), there's no point in doing a 15 minutes race.

Again, why is this a bad thing? This happens in real world racing all the time, some people don't qualify all that well, but make up for it by getting a good start. Happens all the time in standing start races, hence why commentators are often heard saying "[X Driver] has made a good start!" when someone from further down the grid makes up some places.

It would be pretty boring if every race finished as per the starting order (oh wait isn't that what F1 does?!)

Don’t grid starts kind of make Qualifying pointless though?

Pointless no, less important yes. But anyway as already stated you can't use grid starts with a number of classes without it being unfair, that's why they only use them in one-make races.

So basically rolling starts need to be closer just as this thread title says. ;)

That's what Alex above you was just saying. It's fine for one-make events but other cars with disparities will make them known instantly.

Pointless no, less important yes. But anyway as already stated you can't use grid starts with a number of classes without it being unfair, that's why they only use them in one-make races.

So basically rolling starts need to be closer just as this thread title says. ;)

I think you're confusing classes and machine differences. Multi-class shouldn't come into it, regardless of rolling or standing there is no difference in fairness to a GTE car vs a Prototype at the start of a race since they're not competing for the same thing.

The difference between a FWD and RWD touring car on the other hand is something entirely different. In the BTCC the RWD BMW and Subarus regularly leap frog 2-3 cars at the start due to better traction, but then lose out over the course of the race due to BOP and different tyre wear etc.

Standing starts are used in a number of multi-make, and/or multi drivetrain series. F1, BTCC, TCR, VASC and in some cases it's part of the fun as cars that perhaps didn't qualify well still stand a chance at winning.

For the people bashing standing starts, I think it boils down to them relying on lights-flag victories, having the luxury of a clear track ahead of them all race and not having to fight to the front. They clearly don't like being passed at the start and having to work for it!

I think the 'fairest' option (not necessarily the most realistic) would be to have each car on auto drive until it crosses the start line. A bit like how rally cars are released at set intervals, only you're already rolling at a set speed.

That way each player gains control of their car at the same point on the track and at the same speed and whilst setting off in a straight line.
I think I can picture what you are suggesting, and that does seem like another reasonable option.

I guess it's correct to say that these types of race start scenarios, with the field spread out for a rolling start, are exactly what happen in real life.
So perhaps we are asking for too much.
But in this game it isn't all that uncommon to see someone's race ruined before it begins, and sometimes their error even impacts all the cars behind them, so I wouldn't be too upset to see PD implement a 'fairer' (if that's the right word) rolling start system.

Exactly.

Which are all endurance series as per my post.

Again, why is this a bad thing? This happens in real world racing all the time, some people don't qualify all that well, but make up for it by getting a good start. Happens all the time in standing start races, hence why commentators are often heard saying "[X Driver] has made a good start!" when someone from further down the grid makes up some places.

It would be pretty boring if every race finished as per the starting order (oh wait isn't that what F1 does?!)

Have you seen how the AMG Gr.3 launches off the line? You reach some T1s with >0.5 advantage even if you don't start on pole.

This week's race A is a perfect example of a grid start effecting the race. I have a horrible 1:06 lap time but using the Subaru I can overtake and hold 3 positions from the start. The course is so narrow and the drivers are so aggressive that they eat each other alive behind me never really having a chance to overtake despite all being 1 second faster than me.

@BLiTZ if the driver gets a good start, I'm fine with it. if the car gets a good start, regardless of the driver's ability, then it's not good. Some cars, even in Gr.3, are just so bad at standing starts no matter what you do, you're guaranteed to lose at least 3 spots. When some races are 9 laps, that's your race screwed before T1. Just look at my start in the Mazda here at 3:26 :

My start was as good as it can get. Minimal time on TCS 1, no wheelspin. P8 overtakes me, and there's not a lot of distance before T1 on this track. Still see no problem ?

So that DR reset you had on day 101, you enjoyed that so much that you want it to happen more often?

Yes.

Thank you for reminding me sir. That was the magic of a Monza week. You can start with a 3 sec. gap and still get dive-bombed in T1 :scared::lol:

The rolling starts are just boring IMO!
Instead of a 1sec gap, we need something like 0.2 to 0.5 secs.

Grid starts also work somehow. Theyre chaotic, but fun and exciting! The complete opposite to rolling starts right now...

What do you guys and girls think about that?
I know it will be more chaos and penalties, but thats the whole thrill about a start, right!?
Its the most exciting moment in any race and should also in GTS.

I know, PD most likely wont change it. Still, a man can dream!? :)

Nah, it‘s still a nightmare in turn 1 the way it is, now imagine the gaps even closer, that would be complete mayhem in every single race.

Back