RPM limiter

• Thread starter bil coz
  • 30 comments
I just tried that and can not confirm. The Cobra revs to 7000 rpm in any gear except top gear, where it does exactly what praiano described above (it stays about 200rpm below the limiter). This behaviour is a bit car specific, it seems.

I also found that the speeds given in the transmission settings mostly do not align with actual maximum speeds in the respective gears. I don't know, if they are supposed to be speeds at red line or limiter, but I found them to be neither. It's odd, but I never really look at those when I'm adapting the gearbox.

What I can safely say is, that not one car I looked at revved past the rev limiter in top gear. It is a false conclusion to say "the car is going faster than I think it should, so therefore it revs higher." The rev counter says it doesn't rev higher and also the pitch of the engine says it doesn't.
You have not tested it like you should have.
What you must do is build 2 different gearboxes with the same final drive ratio, and the same gear ratio once in the last gear and once in another gear, then compare the speeds.

Also if the simulation is anything else than absolute bollocks, then it's not a false conclusion to say more speed=more RPMs.
Even if on the RPM-o-meter it shows the opposite, you can only conclude that's where something is faulty.

Back