S-video

• Thread starter KZGTR
  • 19 comments
I just bought a s-video cable. I used s-video cable for my DVD player before so I didn't expect to see a big different.
But if you use a s-video cable on your PS2 to play GT3, WOW! It's a huge difference!!!! The detail is much clear!!! It's only $10, I suggest everyone get one.

Thax to those guys tell me this in previous messages

If your TV has component connections, try those!  Absolutely the best available right now.  I bought an el-cheapo component cable for $8.  I didn't feel like shelling out $40 or so for Monster cables.  But anyway, component is the best!

look at the back of your tv

i think mostly they have near those input/output cable

i think it look like circle with 9 small holes in it (i guess the small holes.) and i think they put S-video under the circle.

yeah, i've been using the S-Video cable from the very start... it does look nice. I have a Sony TV, the Sony PS2 and a Sony S-Vidoe Cable (its funny that i also have a Sony DVD Player - yeah i know i have 2 if you count the PS2)

Component video input is popular, and it comes with your PS2 kit. S-video is much clearer (small round female connector in the back of your TV, looks like PS/2 mouse connector on your computer).
I also played Red Fiction using S-video, not a big difference, but GT3 really shows it all.

Component video connector comes with your PS2. You know, the red, white and yellow connector to connect to the back of your TV.
Red and white is only for audio (left, right channel).
Only yellow is for video.
S-video use 9? different samll lines to transfer video signal, so it is much clearer. That's why you see 9? small holes in the s-video cnnector.

KZGTR is wrong. The cables that come with the ps2 are the standard RCA connections. Component has five plugs: red yellow blue white and green. It is the best quality available.

Sorry, I mixed it Up. Component is 3 lins, but they are all for video. 1 video signal is divided into 3 different lins, so it is much clear than the RCA.
But, as someone said the Component is the 90's, it is hard to find on a standard TV today, and it is expensive too.

If you play HI-FI, maybe you can try it out. I don't really know how is the Component compare to S-video. Some HI-FI people say it is better.  

Component is not the 90's.  It actually is much better than s-video.  Why do you think HDTV's are generally all component?  It provides the same highest possible resolution as s-video but with much greater color depth then an s-video  connection since the colors don't bleed together because they have their own cable..It is hard to find on cheap TV's today but any decent TV has component in

Its easy to mix it up, but aprewett79 is right.  the Red Yellow White connection has several names, (I dont know the IEEE designation) but it is generally reffered to as either Composite, RCA cable, or AV cable

S-video cable is an improvement that came around in the 80s for High quality analog video like betamax.  It is used for a lot of high end video equipment and industrial editing.

Component video is a newer deal that is used for High resolution analog transmission.  It was needed because people want to use TVs at high resolutions as computer monitors (which generally have MUCH higher resolution that TV CRTs.  it is denoted by three RCA type connections in orange, green and black labeled Pb, Pr, and Cy (i think)

SDI is really the best, but nothng uses it.

Read this for more info
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-part-1-video-9-2000.html

correct me if I am wrong but...

S-video gives up to 400 lines of resolution.

Component video give up to 480 lines of resolution

Regular composite video only goes up to about 250 lines  and I don't even want to talk about RF connection (pathehic if you're using that).

in other words, going component is about the closest way to playing your game on a computer monitor (and if you've ever hooked up your dreamcast on a monitor, you know the kind of picture clarity I'm talking about)

Yes there are PS2 component cables available from many after-market companys.  I think Sony even makes one themselves (they should).  Just look for the cable packages with 5 connectors (3 video and 2 audio).  But don't use the RCA audio, get an optical cable and attach that to a reciever with an optical input.  Now that's quality!

Latest Posts

Back