Salt flats land rockets and waay less skylines

1. i don't know about you guys, but determining top speed of lots of cars in the test course isn't adequate. a 5 mile long salt flat, or just a straightaway that never ends would be great. not really for racing, just for the fun of getting a car to hit 300+ would be great. on the same topic, some of those historic land rocket that hit 600+ mph and break the sound berrier would be insane.

2. bring in some grand prix cars! 50's,60's 70's GP cars would be awesome. i can just imagine running the entire nurburgring (nordschliefe & sudschliefe) in a little cylinder shaped GP car and smashing into Lauda's left hander in a fiery blaze!!!! :dopey:

3. PLEASE less skylines. there are more then 30!! i can understand 2 or 3 variations of each model year, but a different car just for a "special" colour? just make it a colour you can buy it in!! they are great cars but by no means does GT4 have 700+ cars! its more like 400 cars and then 300 rice rockets duplicated over and over....and over.......and over.......

what do you guys think??

If the Test Course is inadequate (unlikely, as 99% of the cars can hit their top speed there easily), then the straightaway at LeMans should be more than enough for the rest of them. I've yet to drive a car that can't hit top speed at LeMans.. it's straightaway is much longer than those of the Test Course.

Ditto. I do all my top speed testing at Le Mans. It gives you a good run-up, as most road cars can take the turn before the straight at around 80mph, and you get an extra kick going downhill before the hairpin.

niky
Ditto. I do all my top speed testing at Le Mans. It gives you a good run-up, as most road cars can take the turn before the straight at around 80mph, and you get an extra kick going downhill before the hairpin.

i am talking about like the audi r8, with full complement of nitrous. you get the the end, and its pushing around 298-302, but there is still some gas left to get thru 6th gear. plus, if they included afformetioned landrocket cars, where else would you test them? :)

1) Really, 90% of the cars in the game can top out in the turns at the test course.*
2) Yeah, that'd be cool.
3) No! Never less, always more.

*What's that outragously long German track from the 30's?
I think somebody posted it in the "what real life tracks" thread, I'll see if I can find it.
It looked like this:
O================================================================O
O = loop
= = two lanes of track.
only much much longer. It went through 4 or 5 variations gradually getting shorter, I think it's just a normal road course now. Anyway, dispite the good-enoughness of the Test course, I'd like to see this track included anyway. It's the tarmac equivalent of the Escudo, useless novelty, but amusing.

edit: found it. At nearly 20 klicks, it's not as long as I remembered, but still should be good enough to max out nearly anything.

Emohawk
edit: found it. At nearly 20 klicks, it's not as long as I remembered, but still should be good enough to max out nearly anything.

:dopey: at almost ten km a straight, that's long enough for official records purposes... :D

And in regards to something I didn't reply to in the first post... no... there aren't too many Skylines... there's just too little of everything else. :lol:

I remembered playing "Sega GT" on the PC. There is a Top Speed Challenge that takes place on something resembling salt flats. The thing is, it's basically a top-speed race in a straight line. I don't know about a salt flats race like the only one I know of, Bonneville. It would be interesting. Only thing is, I'm not really knowledgable or a big fan of the Salt Flats event itself. I don't hate it, just not really into it.

As far as too many Skylines, I do agree there are some unnecessary ones, but the way I've seen it, 700 cars is 700 cars. If a car is really different from another internally and/or externally, it's a different car unless they share the same characteristics as its base model. If there are 20 to a track and a Skyline One-Make race, a lot of people are going to be like "too many G** damn Skylines!" Even worse when you're racing one in such a series. I guess the sky's the limit. Other Skylines also mean racing variants and Skyline tuner cars. It's a hot car in Japan, much like the Mustang is hot here in the States. Then too, Japanese game, Japanese thinking. Can you really trust a non-American developer to accurately show parity among other cars? This is even considering that Japan is probably the biggest auto making country in the world from Daihatsus to Toyotas and such.

That ends it! Carry on with the discussion, people.

Hmmm... a featureless expanse of salt, maybe 50km long, for a sprint and draft race at top speed? Put in slight wheel ruts, small bumps and crosswinds and that would be a swell diversion... even better than a practice-only top speed test track.

Emohawk
*What's that outragously long German track from the 30's?
I think somebody posted it in the "what real life tracks" thread, I'll see if I can find it.
It looked like this:
O================================================================O
O = loop
= = two lanes of track.
only much much longer.

Avus is available as a free add-on for GPL. Cool track, oval meets drag strip.

Actually test track would be much more appropiate is the banking had more of an effect. If that's realistic I don't know but there you go.

Jedi2016
If the Test Course is inadequate (unlikely, as 99% of the cars can hit their top speed there easily), then the straightaway at LeMans should be more than enough for the rest of them. I've yet to drive a car that can't hit top speed at LeMans.. it's straightaway is much longer than those of the Test Course.
True you can Test your car at LeMans (thats where I do it), but you know that slight last curve on the straight right before the hairpin corner? I was driving something there and I could never hit top speed, my car would always lose control at oh, 290 or so. Great on a straight and bumps, but turns, whoa, that don't work. I would love to see a salt flats thing. And cars breaking the sound barrier! WHOOO! Great Idea's! Keep on em.

First the Skyline deal. I love the car, it's one of my all time favorites. But, is there a need for 30 variations? Probably not. 10 max (for any car really) would be more than enough.

Saltflats! that would be fun, get a bunch of cars out there just driving around with no real goal, but you'd have to keep watch for the guy in the rocket cruising by you at 400+ Even having a nice rain storm come through and really messing things up would be fun too... in my opinion anyway.

freshtokyo
First the Skyline deal. I love the car, it's one of my all time favorites. But, is there a need for 30 variations? Probably not. 10 max (for any car really) would be more than enough.

Saltflats! that would be fun, get a bunch of cars out there just driving around with no real goal, but you'd have to keep watch for the guy in the rocket cruising by you at 400+ Even having a nice rain storm come through and really messing things up would be fun too... in my opinion anyway.
Very true
AND
That would be awesome!

brilliant, i hope they include this

not just a drag 'strip' but basically a big flat area, spanning miles in all directions, with the option to lay track markings on the ground.. you could practice anything you want, and lets face it, it wouldnt be hard to implement at all, and those who dont agree with it simply dont have to use it

Skylines dont matter to me, it's like.....they could as well put 50 TVR sagaris ingame, naming it sagaris I, sagaris II, sagaris III, sagaris IV, sagaris V.....etc etc sagaris 50. All have same power weight torque interior handling springs brakes etc etc, just different names.

And omg, with the speed feeling of 300KM/H, I would also want a whole different part of the game!! LETS INCLUDE POWER BOAT RACES, AIR SPEED RECORDS! No seriously, no sarcasm, I like the idea of 600KM/H, WHO DOESN'T!?!:crazy::drool: ....never thought of this idea...👍

G-T-4-Fan
Skylines dont matter to me, it's like.....they could as well put 50 TVR sagaris ingame, naming it sagaris I, sagaris II, sagaris III, sagaris IV, sagaris V.....etc etc sagaris 50. All have same power weight torque interior handling springs brakes etc etc, just different names.

And omg, with the speed feeling of 300KM/H, I would also want a whole different part of the game!! LETS INCLUDE POWER BOAT RACES, AIR SPEED RECORDS! No seriously, no sarcasm, I like the idea of 600KM/H, WHO DOESN'T!?!:crazy::drool: ....never thought of this idea...👍

:dunce: for you...

Actually, almost all the TVRs are the same, just with different states of engine tune and suspension settings. TVR builds something like four or five models with the same tubular frame chassis under them.

Stop *****ing about skylines, no one's forcing you to drive them and there's plenty of people out there who like being able to choose particular variations of each model. By time you take out the cars that have a lot of duplicates you will still (to the best of my knowledge) have the biggest variation and selection of cars of any game currently on the market (GT2 doesn't count).

As for historic cars, I'd like more classics in general and more championships for them.

Jedi2016

I dont think the Test course in inadequate but there are other ways to test your car, they should get rid of the test course and replace it with something like the "bowls" in wich many high speed records are achieved, those like the ones at nardo or millbrook :)

Mad Murphy NZ
Stop *****ing about skylines, no one's forcing you to drive them and there's plenty of people out there who like being able to choose particular variations of each model. By time you take out the cars that have a lot of duplicates you will still (to the best of my knowledge) have the biggest variation and selection of cars of any game currently on the market (GT2 doesn't count).

Amen.

There is noooo way that test course is inadequate for speed, as my speed record is currently 346 mph in a nitro'd Nissan R92C. I would like to see a salt-flat type "track" (if you could call it that) because it would be cool to see. The point of this discussion isn't how crappy test course may seem to some, but how freaking awesome it would be to hit 600 mph on a salt flat in GT5!!!

Less Skylines: I don't care much, the more (cars in general) the merrier
Salt-flats: I don't care but it would be tons of fun trying to get a tuned Fiat 500 to 250km/h (in about half an hour :P )

bonneville!! yaaa and some retro streamlined rods too 👍 as for the skylines, or any multiple version of a model should be limited to including cars with difference in looks and a vast difference in performance. or if they are going to put loads in at least put them into another menu once youv chosen the model at the dealer like the color choice menu, just to save scrolling and clean it up a bit

There could've easily been upwards of 1,500 cars if PD included every generation of every significant car in GT4. That just sounds like way too much for the disk to handle. I'm sure a lot of things would've been sacrificed to accomidate such a large selection of cars. Thats also a lot of tedious work and a lot of money to go through. But I can see how since the game is produced out of Japan, that all Japanese models would get top priority. Thats why there are a billion different versions and generations of the Impreza, Lancer, Skyline, 3000GT, 350Z, and whatever else... (Using the Mustang as an example) I would like to see an '03 or '04 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra, '03 Ford Mustang Mach 1, '02 Ford Mustang GT Bullit (prize car), '03 or '04 Ford Mustang GT, '03 or '04 Ford Mustang GT Converitable, '95 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra-R, 93' Ford SVT Mustang Cobra-R, and a '95 Ford SVT 10.0L Mustang BOSS would've been nice. There tons of different generations and models of Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Viper, and whatever else. But I'm sure as nice as it would be to have those difference models and generations of American sportscars, a few tracks and options would've probably been sacrificed.

The Slat Flat would be cool, but make it Tarmac, better for all cars. An addition of a Giant square parkin glot thing would be great, place barriers wherres you want, and make drift courses!

If there is a salt flat course, we need to make it available in two player and lan mode. Imagine, using a land-rocket (okay, land-jet) like the Thrust SSC to "draft" or push a Fiat up to 600mph. Now THAT would be something to see.

YES! 600mph *around 1000km/h* would be awesome, now only if you could make cars flip in the GT series.............................

Back