(NOT)Sandbagging it's something else. SOLVED!!

• Thread starter sdi_03
  • 183 comments
Ok, so you gyus are 100% sure its not the game its the player. Not a problem for me, now it seems that you all suffer from understeer thru corners.
So how do you fight it? I've tryed slow in fast out, trailbraking, weight transfer, rolling thru corners by small amount of brake. Its specially hard to get late apex fast corners. There just isn' enough grip to initial turn in.

How do I find this grip?
If you upload a video you'll get good advice. It's hard to know where you're going wrong without seeing it.

Are you using assists? All off except ABS default is what most of the quick guys use.

Dirty air causes understeer which is something to keep in mind when racing in the faster race cars.

I have watched the replays. And its not one sector I'm slower in all sector by roughly 1sec. In the replays, top guys can make sharp initial turn in to corners. I cant, I have not got the grip to do this. I must turn in early to get apex and play with brake/throttle to keep on driving line
This fast "flick" makes it possible for top guys to late apex corners and go to throttle early.
On race B top guys can go thru s-corners flat out. i cant, no matter what line I take, still must lift to stay on track
I have even watched my replays, and try to find if Im on the right place on the track

I usually set brake bias -3. Only ABS default, no TCS etc. Driving with G29

This is for the race B daily.

There is an unfortunate truth that the fastest players are just better than us. In a way, I do know what you mean as I watch the fastest guys and they do things with the car that I just can't. This is however nothing to do with the game giving them more grip. They are just better at making a car do certain things.

Keep practising and you will get faster. But the top drivers are always the top drivers for a reason.

From some of the things you've said it sounds like maybe you are turning in too early and this compromises your exit speed. Try keeping the car straight for longer and turning in for a late apex allowing you to get on the throttle sooner. That's all a bit of guess work though.

This is super cringe, Classic person trying to find gripes with the game as to why they lack pace. You need to learn how to analyze a hot lap. GT in no way hinders a players performance based on rank. The fact you are looking to this for an excuse will only get in your way of becoming faster.

What color is it?

Arctic silver -98 996. I can post video of me driving it on the ring :) If you want.
While waiting to see my game video.

Thanks Drew71, so you designed the game? Or maybe you got the grip bug? Just kidding, have a nice day :)

And for the rest of you i really appreciate all the help. Thank you.
I try to make some video and post it here, so we can all laugh how bad I am :P

How does the game handle fuel weight during Qualifying versus in race? I know that for races A and B the fuel is unlimited but does that mean that the virtual tank is empty or full during qualifying and/or racing?

FWIW I felt the same thing when i started using this game, there's just CHRONIC understeer everywhere, there still is. It's an accessibility issue, to make the times realistic, the rear ends are very, very stable, you pretty much cannot lose the cars by taking a corner too fast. It's a compromise i can live with as a) i use a controller and b) the SPORT part of the game is so outstanding for a time poor person such as myself.

This is not a driving game, it's a racing game, there is avery, very distinct difference.

If you want to drive, you need Project Cars 2, there is no comparison.

Ok, so you gyus are 100% sure its not the game its the player. Not a problem for me, now it seems that you all suffer from understeer thru corners.
So how do you fight it? I've tryed slow in fast out, trailbraking, weight transfer, rolling thru corners by small amount of brake. Its specially hard to get late apex fast corners. There just isn' enough grip to initial turn in.

How do I find this grip?

There are a few things left to try if you haven't already. Tweaking the sensitivity settings on your wheel could improve front grip on turn-in, as well as adjusting your brake balance towards the rear.
Another thing that i haven't seen mentioned yet is the effect of debris pickup on the track edge, and i think it may be the biggest factor in your case.
Last week i was hotlapping around Fuji for race B and noticed a considerable loss of grip in the final sector that was killing my overall times. After a while of trying different lines and approaches, i came to realize that i was driving over marbles going into the final sector and losing a HUGE chunk as a result of the lack of traction. The effect of tire pickup seems more pronounced when tire wear is disabled...

I will add that the game is heavily reliant on trail braking, i cannot do it myself (use X and dpad on controller) but the fast guys do it all lap.

With race cars, there's nowhere near enough lift oversteer and the rears are planted to ensure "everyone can handle it" ... the price is understeer or the lap times would be insane.

I will add that the game is heavily reliant on trail braking, i cannot do it myself (use X and dpad on controller) but the fast guys do it all lap.

With race cars, there's nowhere near enough lift oversteer and the rears are planted to ensure "everyone can handle it" ... the price is understeer or the lap times would be insane.

Trail braking is probably the key you’re missing then, it’s allows you to put max weight in the front tires to achieve maximum turn in capability, I’d suggest learning to use R2/L2 for throttle/brake as it will allow you to learn to trail brake.

Last edited:
I find I’m having a lot of difficulty with trail-braking. Would a brake mod for my G29 help with that?

I took the brake mod out of my pedals(T300 GT), I was too used to having the full travel of my DFGT pedals to switch it up at this point. For trail braking think of letting off the brake like you would a clutch when starting from first gear in a car IRL, just feather off of it. :)

Last edited:
I would like to enter the fray with an observation..... on this week's A race, I have worked in Arcade with the same specced car to get around the track.
I can get it around certain corners at certain speeds.
When I try to do the same in the qualifying online trial, I spin out. But I didn't offline. I think the OP has a good point.

I would like to enter the fray with an observation..... on this week's A race, I have worked in Arcade with the same specced car to get around the track.
When I try to do the same in the qualifying online trial, I spin out. But I didn't offline. I think the OP has a good point.
Did you try arcade mode with the track edge grip loss set to realistic or low?

the offline vs online physics are different... this is no new discovery. OP isnt on to anything

There are a number of things that affect grip. One thing that's every noticeable is dirty tires. if you have to evade through the grass or get punted into the sand, the car will lose a ton of grip for a while.

Brake balance can help, although I haven't touched that ever (I don't like tuning one bit)

Steering sensitivity helps to turn in faster.

Touching the outside kerb right before turn in can help make the car loose and turn in faster.

And the car definitely behaves differently in qualifying and race mode.

Soooo, you guys gona love this. The grip is back, like I said the 4th race last night was good. I really dont know what was causing it. This was the reason I thought it would be built in to the game. At least thats case on the hotlap.

On race B top guys can go thru s-corners flat out. i cant, no matter what line I take.

Me neither. I'm no alien but I've been playing the game since launch and consider myself reasonably quick. Watch the top replays for reference but don't expect to be as good as them from the start. They have hundreds of hours experience and plenty of natural talent. And remember you only get to see their best lap. There might have been 50 laps before that where they went off or had to lift.
But I'm not entirely convinced that the game gives you the same grip every time. There have been bugs in the past and will be again almost certainly. I've had days when I couldn't get anywhere near the times I had set earlier, using the same car and settings, then the next time I was back up to pace. It may just have been I was having an off day or there could be something else going on.

Soooo, you guys gona love this. The grip is back, like I said the 4th race last night was good. I really dont know what was causing it. This was the reason I thought it would be built in to the game. At least thats case on the hotlap.

Some quick advice (if that's what you are after), you need to maximise the width of the track in the right hander before going down the hill (turn 4 I guess). Lots of time to be had there as you were narrow on the entry and exit.

You didn't get to the apex in the first part of the uphill esses. Make that and you can get on the throttle sooner and carry more speed up the hill.

Work on trail braking. It's hard to perfect but will make a big difference.

I'm not a fast driver btw, but I can see where you are losing time.

I always thought GTS was called the real understeer simulator. To me it seems like most cars push like a Mack truck, at least with race tires, when going to Sport tires the cars are completely different as you would CD expect but it is at that point that the rear of the car starts getting away from you instead of fighting a constant push.

I drive all the fr racecars. A couple points...One the game doesn’t change based on leveling. Two, the key to grip is keeping the car balanced. It is definitely a skill to be learned to get turn in out of the heavier, more powerful cars. With abs default braking point is much more critical than you might think, further you MUST be where the grip is on track because of camber. Many turns in this game in the Pd designed tracks have camber issues at turn in which require the proper inputs.
Hate to say it but seat time working with a good concept is what is required. If you have not read Ross Bentley I recommend his book ultimate speed secrets to get quality info.
So bottom line? Practice.
For me, trying to use mr cars, I can’t get much out of them I am always turning in too much due to my habits from fr.
The key point is line plus speed plus brake point plus brake technique plus steering input plus throttle input all effect the overall grip and balance of the car. Balancing the car means getting the most out of all four tires, as I am sure you know.
It’s not the game preventing you from doing what you want.
I know for me, it’s not easy to improve, it’s a little bit each week all adding up and in a month or two you will notice you can do things that seemed impossible before. You just have to mind all the variables...Good luck

I'd also apex a bit early, the cars have a lot of arse end grip, get on the gas even before the apex, like stupid early, after going in with a wide apex.

I don't know the specifics other than this was an issue back in GT6. There was a group on GTPlanet that would run time trials, and the time difference offline vs. online were remarkable. Offline could be as much as 2 seconds a lap faster. I've noticed this in GTSport. Tracks and cars that I am intimately familiar with feel a lot different in sport races. And yes, I make sure the parameters are the same in offline practice as for the online races.

The caveat to this is that I haven't done sport mode since August or September.

Back