Save Progress lost

• Thread starter bnight
  • 58 comments
Bulgaria
Sofia
bnightstar
Hi All,

So I have two PS4's and my primary one is my old one. Which obviously contains older GT Sport backup. I fired it up and now my progress for the past 3 months is lost which mean that I need to spend 3 months grinding for cars. Is there anything that could be done as at that point I might as well delete that game. I'm happy that I didn't spend money on cars but if I did I would have been really pissed right now.

I'm no IT guru (someone will be along that can help, I'm sure) but wouldn't that be because your old PS synced it's last stored data with the server which is why it's out of date? Have you tried flashing up the newer PS and see if it comes back (after re-syncing its data with the server)?

I'm no IT guru (someone will be along that can help, I'm sure) but wouldn't that be because your old PS synced it's last stored data with the server which is why it's out of date? Have you tried flashing up the newer PS and see if it comes back (after re-syncing its data with the server)?
I'm an IT guru but the problem as I see it is that my old system synced with the GT Sport server (obviously something that GT Sport server should have rejected as older data newer online save kind of thing) however when I started my new PS4 it's syncing from the GT Sport server so now my both PS4's have a save which is from the old PS4 and is 3 months dated. I'm not sure what you mean by flashing up the newer PS ?

I'm an IT guru but the problem as I see it is that my old system synced with the GT Sport server (obviously something that GT Sport server should have rejected as older data newer online save kind of thing) however when I started my new PS4 it's syncing from the GT Sport server so now my both PS4's have a save which is from the old PS4 and is 3 months dated. I'm not sure what you mean by flashing up the newer PS ?

Oh I see.... so the newer PS just uses the older synch? That's not good.... you'd think it would revert to the latest save.
I think progress is also stored in the PS4 somewhere too? If that was found, would that help?
"Flashing up" means starting (a bit like firing up!!).

Oh I see.... so the newer PS just uses the older synch? That's not good.... you'd think it would revert to the latest save.
I think progress is also stored in the PS4 somewhere too? If that was found, would that help?
"Flashing up" means starting (a bit like firing up!!).
The thing happen like this. 1. Fire up old PS4 game save from old PS4 synced to GT Sport Servers. 2. Fire up from new PS4 game save synced from GT Sport Servers :(. 3. Since my old PS4 is my prime console my online PS4 saved data was also synced living me with no copy of the data from my new PS4. So I don't think there is anything I can do to recover this. I'm just posting this so people know what could happen. I just lost 3 months of grinding for cars and buying things from Millage Exchange but it could have been your whole wallet of micro transactions on cars.

That's quite astonishing since I always thought nothing in the world overwrites the PD server save and that your console boots with what is stored there :irked:.
In your case it also looks like there could have been two different savegames on the server, one each for your primary and secondary console :odd:.

That's quite astonishing since I always thought nothing in the world overwrites the PD server save and that your console boots with what is stored there :irked:.
In your case it also looks like there could have been two different savegames on the server, one each for your primary and secondary console :odd:.
Yeah but why then my secondary console save got overwritten from the GT Sport Server and not from it's own file ?

I would have immediately erased all local data, re-installed the game, and then re-load a PS+ cloud save archive to reinstate my progress.

If you've already been playing around on the old machine then it's possible that you may have overwritten your cloud save states.

Here is what i would try, take the save on the Console that isn't cloud saving, and copy that save to the cloud.
On the "old" PS4, resync that save to the console.
Start GTS
That's the thing the console that isn't saving to the cloud got overwritten by the GTS when I started it so now all my saves are the same version my older one :(

Lost more than a years content logging into family friends PS4, no solution ? Hadn't used this console in more than a year, thus the length of my progress lost. Have screenshots of actual progress in my "Life Log", and screenshots showing current progress--differences. How 20,000,000 credit car for nostalgic race, gone! Just saw this post today after it already happened. Was hoping my own console would hold true stats, so hard to believe this possible. Again, no solution???

Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard of this incident. I hope it won't be the same when GT7 comes out.

There is nothing you can do even if you backed up your current save to plus.
Thanks for letting me know.

Also @Famine if you get another chance for an interview, this would be an interesting subject.
GT-Sport is the only PS4 game i own that i can't play on more than one PS4.
Why doesn't GT-Sport support more than one Console pr account?
My guess, greed. Your family or friends can not use your paid for GTS withithout you losing progress. Thus everyone must have their own copy. Not very sporting Polyphony if you ask me. We can only log into one console at a time, so why can’t we use someone else’s PS4? Not cool. Lost a years content logging into family friends PS4.Went from Rank 44 to 36. SMH

Last edited by a moderator:
This is bad news, and sorry for the OP who lost his save.

My experience with this is thus:

Myself and my girlfriend bought another PS4, so one each in a sense. My GTS save was on the old PS4 and I wanted to transfer the data over to have the new PS4 my main and only GTS station.

So before I did this I thought very carefully about data loss and ensured it wouldn't happen.

I backed up my old PS4 save into the cloud. I left the old PS4 as the main account PS4 so my girlfriend could play other games of mine without issue.

I then installed GTS on to the new PS4, downloaded my cloud save, then proceeded to open the game to make sure all was well.

The only 2 issues I had were:

1.Most car thumbnails were blank, but they came back after a while by themselves.

2. My saved replays from the old PS4 GTS save were not present. However the folder I created for them was.

So in conclusion, I lost zero progress, had all money, cars and xp. And continue to use this PS as my GT PS.

Did I do this the correct way and order? Or am I just extremely lucky that it didn't bork?

This is bad news, and sorry for the OP who lost his save.

My experience with this is thus:

Myself and my girlfriend bought another PS4, so one each in a sense. My GTS save was on the old PS4 and I wanted to transfer the data over to have the new PS4 my main and only GTS station.

So before I did this I thought very carefully about data loss and ensured it wouldn't happen.

I backed up my old PS4 save into the cloud. I left the old PS4 as the main account PS4 so my girlfriend could play other games of mine without issue.

I then installed GTS on to the new PS4, downloaded my cloud save, then proceeded to open the game to make sure all was well.

The only 2 issues I had were:

1.Most car thumbnails were blank, but they came back after a while by themselves.

2. My saved replays from the old PS4 GTS save were not present. However the folder I created for them was.

So in conclusion, I lost zero progress, had all money, cars and xp. And continue to use this PS as my GT PS.

Did I do this the correct way and order? Or am I just extremely lucky that it didn't bork?
Did you do it with your Clouds save this year to your new PS4 ?.

My guess, greed. Your family or friends can not use your paid for GTS withithout you losing progress. Thus everyone must have their own copy.
This is nonsensical - GTS does not operate in a different way to any other PS4 game; you need the software and the software licence to play it, and each game save is unique to the user account. You can use a single disc or download on any user account on any console.

Aside from that, you can happily transfer your progress between multiple consoles, so long as you are careful not to overwrite your latest save file with an older one.

As I understand it, if you ever boot up GTS on your old (primary) console then the last save you made on that console will overwrite the PD server save which will in turn overwrite the current save on your new (secondary) console when you go back to playing on it.
You'll wipe all progress you've made since you started playing on your new console.

Edit: sniped by The Man.
On a side note, can backing up save progress on a primary (old) console be used to guard against the dreaded data corruption problem then?

Last edited:
Did you do it with your Clouds save this year to your new PS4 ?.

This year yup.

(primary) console then the last save you made on that console will overwrite the PD server save which will in turn overwrite the current save on your new (secondary) console when you go back to playing on it.
You'll wipe all progress you've made since you started playing on your new console.

Edit: sniped by The Man.
On a side note, can backing up save progress on a primary (old) console be used to guard against the dreaded data corruption problem then

Ah that's good to know. And I was just thinking this. If I downloaded my PS Plus save down to my old PS4, and someone starts the game, it won't bork all my progress on my dedicated new system.

Sounds logical so i'll do this.

My understanding is the cloud save will not overwrite the server side save anymore.
I think this largely only applies when the GT server has an older game save, and you try to update the server save to a newer console game save.
(I say 'largely' because no-one has come forward and said they tested my rather long-winded description of a possible way to counteract this, and failed)

I think the main place where most people come unstuck, and what @TJC_69 did right, was this ...
"I then installed GTS on to the new PS4, downloaded my cloud save, then proceeded to open the game to make sure all was well."
... and in that order.

If you start the game on a second console and the console save isn't already updated you are in a world of pain.

For a 2nd opinion I can test it with my UK account.
PS Slim is online and hardware is currently updating.
Now, if only I could find my damn disc copy I could actually start to update the game. :lol:

If I downloaded my PS Plus save down to my old PS4, and someone starts the game, it won't bork all my progress on my dedicated new system.
To be safe, I'd delete the old game save data off the old ps4 first up.
Full disclosure, I don't know this for 100%
@Famine can you confirm this?
Also, is it simply that old saves overwrite new ones, or does the primary/secondary console thing have any relevance?

No. I've not been able to break my gamesave even while deliberately trying to (yanking the power cable out while saving, for example), so I can't say for sure what does what. Perhaps I just have a particularly robust profile or I'm under Kazunori's personal protection :lol:

I think this largely only applies when the GT server has an older game save, and you try to update the server save to a newer console game save.
(I say 'largely' because no-one has come forward and said they tested my rather long-winded description of a possible way to counteract this, and failed)

I think the main place where most people come unstuck, and what @TJC_69 did right, was this ...
"I then installed GTS on to the new PS4, downloaded my cloud save, then proceeded to open the game to make sure all was well."
... and in that order.

If you start the game on a second console and the console save isn't already updated you are in a world of pain.

For a 2nd opinion I can test it with my UK account.
PS Slim is online and hardware is currently updating.
Now, if only I could find my damn disc copy I could actually start to update the game. :lol:
I forgot about the older save, and many thanks for reminding me on that mate.

Also, is it simply that old saves overwrite new ones, or does the primary/secondary console thing have any relevance?
With only one instance of a game save per account per console available, copying the cloud save onto the console will effectively delete(over-write) the console save anyway.

The safest way (I would say 'fool-proof' but that might be a bit foolish) to keep on top of your saves when bouncing between two consoles would be to religiously upload the console save to the PS Cloud at the end of every gaming session, and then religiously download the cloud save onto the console before starting the game. Regardless of what console you are using.

For an example of things going bad ... let's say both consoles are all good regarding the server save. Everything is as it should be.
You then play on one console for 3 days.
You then simply start the game on the other console without dumping the cloud save first, you will lose 3 days of game play.
This then becomes the server save, so essentially both consoles have now lost 3 days of game play.

*Side note - found my disc copy.
Currently downloading 47.074GB of updates. :lol:

So I deleted my save from the HDD of the old PS4, re-downloaded my current PS Plus save to it incase the game is clicked on by anyone but me. Hopefully that will safe guard it.

I wouldn't want to lose 21,000 extra miles of racing and grinding, level 50 status or my 270 individual cars and unicorns :scared:.

So I feel safeguarded from this at least and have learned important issues from this thread and you guys :cheers:.

So I deleted my save from the HDD of the old PS4, re-downloaded my current PS Plus save to it incase the game is clicked on by anyone but me. Hopefully that will safe guard it.

I wouldn't want to lose 21,000 extra miles of racing and grinding, level 50 status or my 270 individual cars and unicorns :scared:.

So I feel safeguarded from this at least and have learned important issues from this thread and you guys :cheers:.
Glad someone had saved himself some time. I give my old Ps4 away so I kind of hope no one start my GTS from my profile on my old PS4 as it’s still my primary one so the person I give it to can still play my games with there own profile. But I’m happy your save it’s safe.

This is nonsensical - GTS does not operate in a different way to any other PS4 game; you need the software and the software licence to play it, and each game save is unique to the user account. You can use a single disc or download on any user account on any console.

Aside from that, you can happily transfer your progress between multiple consoles, so long as you are careful not to overwrite your latest save file with an older one.
Did nothing more than update my family freind's PS4 for GTS, on my account. The saved data on that console was a year old. All my progress was lost when I started GTS with the year old data save; this sould not be possible, yet it happened. GTS does not work the way every other games works. Do not know if deleting saved data before starting second console could have prevent loss of one years worth of content, but what was I suppose to do without knowing what I know now. I play an online PS4 game called Warframe, have done so for six years, can log in on any PS4, all content follows automatically. Not so with GTS. Bought GTS online, downloaded online, play it online; saved data is not online. Any separate console play loses content, I call it greed.

Back