Saving arcade and sim games

• Thread starter 2thDr
  • 9 comments
United States
Clarksville, TN
Does anyone know if I save the arcade game and overwrite existing data whether or not I will lose my sim game in doing so? I definitely do not want to restart again. Let me know.

It won't. GT1 saves Arcade Mode, Sim Mode, and Options as one save file. So, when it says "overwrite existing data", anything that hasn't changed (for example, you haven't done anything in Sim Mode) will stay the same.

Yup, that's about it. Same thing in GT2. Quite handy actually, I wouldn't like it if I had to save twice for Arcade and Simulation.

On a sidenote, why does GT2 save only uses 4 blocks while GT1 uses 5 blocks? Is the info saved in GT1 more than in GT2? And I've heard that the save file can 'expand' as you progress in the game to more than 4/5 blocks, causing other save files in your memory card to be deleted. Is this true? I know that replay files need extra blocks, but what about the game save file itself?

Very well then. Maybe it's just a rumor *shrugs*. I never had that happening to myself either, and I definitely don't want that happening, hence my question is it true or not.

[size=+1]GT2[/size] does not have the complete per-event records that [size=+1]GT1[/size] had. That's part of why the save is smaller. even though the garage portion of the save is larger in [size=+1]GT2[/size]. (I.e. both games have basic entries for 100 cars in the garage, and each basic entry is larger in [size=+1]GT2[/size]).

As far as I know, PS1 saves can't grow. E.g. when you choose a replay file (or settings file) size, if it's too small, you can't grow it later. (Although in [size=+1]GT2[/size] you could create a new larger replay file on another memory card, and copy all your replays to it).

If I recall correctly, in [size=+1]GT1[/size] there is a complete "parts inventory" in the save. For every part in the game, it records whether you own it or not. (One can argue that that is part of the garage, and therefore the garage is larger). (Suppose in [size=+1]GT1[/size], you obtain a certain model of car, purchase all its parts, and then sell the last instance of the car. If you later obtain another instance of that same model, all [removable] parts will be available for it). In [size=+1]GT2[/size], since you must purchase all parts for each car, that table is not necessary. (Instead each garage entry has room to indicate purchased parts; that's 100 versus 170 or so (and would be more like 500 in [size=+1]GT2[/size])).

thanks for clearing that up, I just did not remember if it was going to erase my sim game or not. In addition, speaking of garages...how many cars can you have in GT1?

One hundred (100). Same as [size=+1]GT2[/size].

(I retroactively put that into my earlier posting too. :D )

Does anyone know if I save the arcade game and overwrite existing data whether or not I will lose my sim game in doing so? I definitely do not want to restart again. Let me know.

It won't. GT1 saves Arcade Mode, Sim Mode, and Options as one save file. So, when it says "overwrite existing data", anything that hasn't changed (for example, you haven't done anything in Sim Mode) will stay the same.

That's assuming you initially loaded the game from the card in question.

Whether you save in arcade or simulation, it saves both parts of your current game. They are just alternate interfaces for the same operation. (Same for load; that's the easiest demonstration to try--well, it's also pretty simple to do something trivial but identifiable in sim mode, go up and over and save in arcade mode, then reset the game and load (perhaps try each mode) and verify that the simulation mode progress was saved).

Suppose you started a simulation game, and saved it on a card. And suppose you remove that card, and reset the PS1 and later start an arcade game without loading from the card. At that point the simulation game in the PS1 is "new" (back to day 1, 0 cars, Cr10,000). If you inserted the card, and saved at that point, yes, you would wipe out any previous simulation progress. In fact, once you started arcade mode while simulation mode was "new", there would be no way to merge into one game save your arcade progress and the simulation progress previously made.

Back