SBK Fun...

• Thread starter DOKNYCE
  • 35 comments
No matter that it's a small percentage of people that would use the full simulation options (or as close as you could get to it), because all good sims have a suite of aids for those so inclined. It doesn't have to be one or the other if you do it all right, right from the start.

Regarding body positioning and such, is there any merit in extending TT's riding form system for better control over these extra inputs "automatically" or do they really change that much as the situation requires it? That is, are you doing the same thing on the bars and pegs etc. as you go into and out of a given corner from lap to lap? If so, then these things can be accounted for in the riding form, because no doubt each rider does it their own way and different "forms" are useful for different styles of riding anyway - it might help to be able to switch between them on the fly, too.

The body positioning and body pressure is very hard to explain because it's all done subconsciously. Reacting to the elevation changes and road camber, condition etc requires the whole body to move about in ways that are different for each situation.

But that's just me nitpicking, like how I think that any game with karts should have pressure senors on the wheel.
Because you can change the karts handling by body position and hand pressure, even where you hold onto the wheel will affect the balance.

Yeah, the reason I asked is, aside from having very little experience, because I struggle to analyse my riding, and much of the subconscious stuff is beyond my recognition. Which is odd because I used to ride (mountain bike) trials which practically demands it (I wasn't very good, though.) The fact that it's subconscious may mean that it's possibly OK to absorb it into some form of tweakable automatic control that gives the rideability and "feel" (well, response) you expect in those situations. Not ideal of course, but ideal would probably be to be able to do it in real life with some kind of immortality deal thrown in.

I was actually thinking of karts when I was trying to imagine the "steering wheel" equivalent of the motorcycle game control issue, I know I exploit those effects on the odd occasion I get to drive one.

Yeah, automatic pressure and body control would have to be used in a bike game/sim.

And you used to ride trials? Nice, I used to ride motorcycle trials.

And with the karts, I'm talking about full on race karts.
You'd have to be racing for several years before you could actually play with your hand position to change the handling consistently.

I found it very useful when I drove in the wet though, leaning forward and getting weight off of the back tires really helped free them up.

I learned so much riding trials that's stuck with me, but I only had one day's riding where I actually felt "connected" and totally in control / "in the zone". I'd have still kept at it if my bike hadn't been stolen, and the temptation is always there to start up again.
All of those things mean I've wanted a proper bike trials (moto or mountain bike) game for a long time, but it would probably require the most involving and complicated control system going. I did, however, once discuss the issue with a programmer (also ex trials rider) and he seemed to think he had it sorted. No idea if he did anything with it, though.

With karting, I meant only the body positioning part, which is still something my G25 can't relay. I don't race, and my changing hand position would probably be a fatigue issue rather than any conscious form of nuanced control!

Yeah, I consider trials to be the hardest, and best learning tool for riding a bike.
It's depressing though when I watch the pros ride, they are on a completely different level.
Even the Canadian champion would be mediocre when compared to Raga or Bou.

It's amazing how good the newer bieks are though, I have a 2005 Sherco 200, and could clean this one section without much problem.
I then tried someones brand new 290 Sherco and I was taken off guard at how easy it was to swing the back end around. It felt like a bicycle!

And since you've done trials you know that there is no freaking way that a trials game will ever be realistic. I don't even want to start...
(Is there force feedback on the clutch? No? Well then get out...)

Back