Scaff's Gallery

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 200 comments
clap2.gif

There we go, clapping. ^^

That's simply beautiful. And it makes me want to try stitching things together too. I once saw the most gorgeous sunset I had ever seen, but didn't have my camera. It's always good to have your camera...

For stitching you can either give the Photoshop tool a go (and its OK), but I would recomemend the following little Aplication

Autostitch

It's small, easy to use, quick, gives great results (better than PS) and is totally free (a great big thank you to UBC for that). Its basically a stripped down version of the pro version they sell that can handle 400+ stitches that can hit gigs of data!!!!!!

Attached is a 16 shot stitch put together using autostitch, one of more recent experiments with panoramic work.

Regards

Scaff

Attachments

• pano.jpg
    pano.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 21
Wow, I consider that high praise indeed.

Not bad for a shot that came into being after I looked in my wing mirror and saw that sky, just had to pull over at the next lay-by and shoot around the trucks driving past. Gets you a few funny looks doing this at that hour of the day, but it does make me glad I carry my camera will me as often as I can.

:)

Scaff

I know what you mean though, I have in the past done the early morning landscape shoots and you get joggers and passersby giving you strange looks. I haven’t been bothered in a long time, not a fan of the early wake on a weekend as I already have to get up at about 4am every week day. Actually I might dig up some of my old landscape shots and post them in my thread soon.

Last edited:
For stitching you can either give the Photoshop tool a go (and its OK), but I would recomemend the following little Aplication

Autostitch

It's small, easy to use, quick, gives great results (better than PS) and is totally free (a great big thank you to UBC for that). Its basically a stripped down version of the pro version they sell that can handle 400+ stitches that can hit gigs of data!!!!!!

Attached is a 16 shot stitch put together using autostitch, one of more recent experiments with panoramic work.

Regards

Scaff

I have actually attempted a few before. I once did a 360 degree view of a Corvette gathering at Mosport raceway. But it was with an incredibly lousy program. Thank you for telling me about this one, I'll have to find a good place to give it a try. I think I have some idea where I should go...

That would be amazing, to put together over 400 images....

Thanks again. ^^

Not bad for a shot that came into being after I looked in my wing mirror and saw that sky, just had to pull over at the next lay-by and shoot around the trucks driving past. Gets you a few funny looks doing this at that hour of the day, but it does make me glad I carry my camera will me as often as I can

It's a gorgeous shot, and like Syntax I have no constructive criticism to offer whatsoever.

You've almost made me want to wake up at 5.30am to get shots like that. Almost.

Actually, I live within a couple of minutes walk of one of my favourite views in the UK which would look spectacular at sunrise, so perhaps I'll have the motivation one day soon to capture it...

I must confess I am a bit bowled over by the feedback on this shot, so once again thanks to you all, it is much appreciated.

HfS - it is worth getting up early to do it, the light is always more intresting from a sunrise (in comparison to a sunset) in my opinion, you get a broader spectrum of colours, with pinks and blues that are often missing in a sunset.

Its also getting light later and later now in the UK, so you don't have to be up stupidly early (either than or just don't go to sleep).

Regards

Scaff

HfS - it is worth getting up early to do it, the light is always more intresting from a sunrise (in comparison to a sunset) in my opinion, you get a broader spectrum of colours, with pinks and blues that are often missing in a sunset.

Its also getting light later and later now in the UK, so you don't have to be up stupidly early (either than or just don't go to sleep).

Yeah... I almost managed that last night but by the time I posted at 4:22am I'm afraid I was getting a little too tired...

It's disappointing working evenings sometimes though as well. I missed a number of absolutely beautiful sunsets at around 8/9pm a month or so back coming out of work.

All of them are great as usual, but the first two are the stand outs. I like how the pier leads the eye in the first one, and the swan is super sharp in the second shot. 👍

I like the pier but I think it's let down by the colours. The whole image has a green tint which could be fixed quickly in photoshop.
If you could shop the trees out and add in some early morning fog too, you would be a legend.

I love the landscapes earlier in this thread too, you've got a really eye for that. 👍

EDIT: Hope you don't mind me messing with the image, it's just to illustrate my point.

3986050037a567888139o.jpg

Looks like Album Art or could make a nice Avatar actually.

Last edited:
I like the pier but I think it's let down by the colours. The whole image has a green tint which could be fixed quickly in photoshop.
If you could shop the trees out and add in some early morning fog too, you would be a legend.

I love the landscapes earlier in this thread too, you've got a really eye for that. 👍

EDIT: Hope you don't mind me messing with the image, it's just to illustrate my point.

3986050037a567888139o.jpg

Looks like Album Art or could make a nice Avatar actually.

Opps, missed your post.

Thanks for the feedback on the landscape, I do like taking them, but they require a fair bit of planning and time, so I can never get as much work done on them as I want.

I like what you have done with my pier shot (to be honest I do like the green cast in the original - that was the light on the day from the trees around it) and have to agree it does look a lot like an album cover.

Regards

Scaff

Couple of new ones taken this morning on the way to work.

Regards

Scaff

Last edited:
The top one is fantastic, but what it the straight edged object on the right of it? Hils? A Field?

Thanks

Its actually both, it is a field, but the field is on a hill. This shot (from earlier in my gallery) shows it a bit more clearly....

...if you look to the right of it, you can see its the same stand of trees, and the field and slope of the hill (and how it is in the landscape) are much easier to see.

Regards

Scaff

The second one works for me. Really beautiful. Great colours and the mist in the background is a lovely touch. I would have been tempted to snap off the other half broken branch but it's not really that distracting as that's a darker portion of the shot anyway.

Both shots are beautiful, in my opinion. The colours look great. They seem to be simple, but they give a special touch to the picture, speaking of atmosphere. 👍

Those last shots are great. 👍 Sunrises are cool, but you have to get up so early. :P

The second photo os post #163 is so inspiring, with a great mist behind it.👍

The last new shot is preatty cool, though, it would work better without the sun, in my opinion.

Four days in Cornwall with work and I had bugger all free time at all, managed to get to the beach once when it wasn't raining and this was the best I could get.

Cornish Beach at Night
Fuji S2 Pro

Regards

Scaff

Nice shot Scaff, either those people on the beach where standing very still or you where running a high ISO...yet the photo at that resolution doesn't look to noisy.:odd: Do you have specs for that photo?
Nice shot anyway mate, the blue hue has a cooling effect over the shot.:)👍
R*

Thanks guys.

Rusty, they must have been standing very still as the data for the shot is

1/3 sec @ f3.6, 100 ISO. 18mm on my 18~55mm.

Obviously a tripod mounted shot, I didn't need to worry about depth of field too much given how dark it was and that the sky was my main focus.

Regards

Scaff

Cool thanks Scaff, don't you like it when everything in a shot works...for instance, your just about to shoot the distant mountains at sunset, then all of sudden a bird flies into the shot...just brilliant.:)
Just like those people, the fact that they stood so still made them nice and sharp in your photo.
Nice work mate,;)
R*

It has been a while Scaff. I like the waterscape shot. I'd be tempted to crop out the reflections to the left of the shot as it interrupts the silkiness of the rest of the image.

It has been a while Scaff. I like the waterscape shot. I'd be tempted to crop out the reflections to the left of the shot as it interrupts the silkiness of the rest of the image.

I'd agree with this. I keep getting drawn to the side because of the reflections.

Great shots on this page and the rippled water is very nice, I agree Syntax and Floats about the crop though.

Back